Pioneer Elite?

Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade.
I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not necessary.
Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning on
watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I would
appreciate those also.

Thanks
Brian
9 answers Last reply
More about pioneer elite

    First, what do you have now?

    Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good unit.

    Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
    other factors.

    Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
    down from the 704 and they cost more. They are also harder to work on when
    you have problems.

    Kurtis

    "brian" <brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade.
    > I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
    > release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
    > open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not
    > necessary.
    > Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning on
    > watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I
    > would
    > appreciate those also.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brian

    >From: "brian" brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net

    >Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade

    I am sure our other experts will reply here. For best results they say do not
    get a combo ld/dvd player.

    Hello Kurtis

    Thanks for your reply

    > First, what do you have now?

    I have a Pioneer CLD??? That works maybe one out of 50 time you press play.
    I took it for repair and for $30.00 the shop told me it was not worth
    fixing.

    > Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good unit.

    I recently purchased a VSX-55RXi Elite Receiver. I am looking to upgrade
    most of my system and I would like to keep it all Elite if I can. I am just
    geeky that way.

    > Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
    > other factors.

    I totally understand that but I have always assumed Star Wars was a huge
    factor for a lot of LD die hards. Which would lead to a recent flood of
    available players???? I just started seriously looking this week so I may
    be way off with this idea. My main LD interest are rare music vids.

    > Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
    > down from the 704 and they cost more.

    Thanks for the advice. Is the "704" considered the best? Does it play cd
    video [that is not real important]. The main reason I was thinking of a
    combo unit is because they seem to be the last ones made and I would like my
    player to be as new as possible.

    Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Brian

    They are also harder to work on when
    > you have problems.
    >
    > Kurtis
    >

    > "brian" <brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a
    upgrade.
    > > I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
    > > release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
    > > open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not
    > > necessary.
    > > Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning
    on
    > > watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I
    > > would
    > > appreciate those also.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Brian

    I think the release of the Star Wars DVD will have the opposite effect!
    Instead of causing a flood of available players, it might cause a few
    people to BUY players, once they realize that the ONLY unaltered
    versions of the film on disc, are on laserdisc!
    Kevin.

    Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
    players and the net result is no change???? :-)

    KevHaw@webtv.net (Kevin Hawerchuk) wrote in message news:<12295-417F6DED-197@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net>...
    > I think the release of the Star Wars DVD will have the opposite effect!
    > Instead of causing a flood of available players, it might cause a few
    > people to BUY players, once they realize that the ONLY unaltered
    > versions of the film on disc, are on laserdisc!
    > Kevin.

    >From: pmjones@imajis.com (Pete Jones)

    >Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
    >players and the net result is no change????

    That depends on the number of ld enthusiasts that die and the addition of new
    enthusiasts.

    john339077353@cs.com (John339077353) wrote in message news:<20041027145500.24956.00003632@mb-m20.news.cs.com>...
    > >From: pmjones@imajis.com (Pete Jones)
    >
    > >Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
    > >players and the net result is no change????
    >

    > That depends on the number of ld enthusiasts that die and the addition of new
    > enthusiasts.

    One thing for sure, it DID result in an increase of the price of the
    Star Wars "original" LDs, just look at the stats.

    The 704 is the best non-Elite unit and the best bang for your buck.

    There are other units that are considered the best, they are Japanese
    imports but the price is 4X higher than the 704. Unless you are a picky
    videophile the 704 will make you more than happy. It was also the last high
    performance non-Elite US model made. The Japanese models were made until
    2002 or 2003, Nicolas would know when they stopped.

    "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<PKudnSXukIAxyB3cRVn-sQ@comcast.com>...
    > The 704 is the best non-Elite unit and the best bang for your buck.
    >
    > There are other units that are considered the best, they are Japanese
    > imports but the price is 4X higher than the 704. Unless you are a picky
    > videophile the 704 will make you more than happy. It was also the last high
    > performance non-Elite US model made. The Japanese models were made until
    > 2002 or 2003, Nicolas would know when they stopped.
    >
    > Kurtis

    Hi-end LD-S9, HLD-X9 and DVL-H9 were built until May 2002, filling
    orders received until January 2002.

    Combi DVL-919 and entry level CLD-R5 are still in production. I have
    seen some 919 with a build date of July 2004.

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Elite Product