HLD-X9 under mods!

Hi group!

Just like to tell you that a friend is now in the middle of making
mods on his HLD-X9. I cannot tell you too much before it all ready and
tried out but I can say that he have made some rather big things that
SHOULD give a big difference.

When he's done we will try it out and see what the + and - are with
the mods. One of the mods for we European people is that we can modify
the X9 to 230 volt. But no mods for new comb filter with DVI/SDI
output yet :(

/Mattias
20 answers Last reply
More about hld mods

    One of the big complaints is that Pioneer only added the flexible shielding
    over the digital section of the D/A board. This already has separate power
    supplies and I tried adding better (known good fast settling) diodes to make
    up and replace the bridge diode packages and it didn't help. I'll be
    curious if you find something that lowers the background noise and smoothes
    out the backgrounds with DVNR OFF. Since the couple things I tried didn't
    work I decided to quit playing.

    Kurtis

    "Mattias Karlsson" <nin@beta.telenordia.se> wrote in message
    > Hi group!
    >
    > Just like to tell you that a friend is now in the middle of making
    > mods on his HLD-X9. I cannot tell you too much before it all ready and
    > tried out but I can say that he have made some rather big things that
    > SHOULD give a big difference.
    >
    > When he's done we will try it out and see what the + and - are with
    > the mods. One of the mods for we European people is that we can modify
    > the X9 to 230 volt. But no mods for new comb filter with DVI/SDI
    > output yet :(
    >
    > /Mattias

    >But no mods for new comb filter with DVI/SDI
    >output yet :(

    Based on what I read in the comb-filter thread, it seems as though the HLD-X9's
    comb filter is as good as it gets and that many high-end projection televisions
    are still using the X9's filter. That said, I'm not sure I see the advantage in
    adding DVI to a laserdisc player. Having a direct-digital output for analog
    source material seems pointless, and IMO, would probably only serve to decrease
    picture quality by adding an unnecesary A/D conversion which will only need to
    be reversed (via D/A conversion) in tube and CRT-Lens projection sets which are
    not "true digital" display devices like DLP, LCD and Plasma sets and projectors
    are.
    Steve Grauman

    "Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Based on what I read in the comb-filter thread, it seems as though the
    > HLD-X9's
    > comb filter is as good as it gets and that many high-end projection
    > televisions
    > are still using the X9's filter. That said, I'm not sure I see the
    > advantage in
    > adding DVI to a laserdisc player. Having a direct-digital output for
    > analog
    > source material seems pointless, and IMO, would probably only serve to
    > decrease
    > picture quality by adding an unnecesary A/D conversion which will only
    > need to
    > be reversed (via D/A conversion) in tube and CRT-Lens projection sets
    > which are
    > not "true digital" display devices like DLP, LCD and Plasma sets and
    > projectors
    > are.

    The comb filter already does an A/D conversion step as it digitizes the
    video signal in order to process it, then it does a D/A to output the
    signal though the S-video connection. The digitizing's already being
    done. You're not going to avoid it. If it were hypothetically possible
    to add an SDI or DVI connection to the comb filter directly, this would
    eliminate the D/A step in the LD player and the A/D in the display.

    This is all theoretical, of course.

    >If it were hypothetically possible
    >to add an SDI or DVI connection to the comb filter directly, this would
    >eliminate the D/A step in the LD player and the A/D in the display.

    When we're talking about a high-quality filter like what's in the X9, is the
    A/D conversion going to be better at the player than what would be performed at
    the display device if the player were fed via composite rather than via
    S-Video? I'm thinking that with high end projection equipment maybe the
    composite outputs are best used, even with a player such as the X9, because at
    least theoretically, part of what you paid for is the equipment's capacity to
    make a quality conversion from analog sources such as VHS and Laserdisc into
    digital. I also wonder - do processors such as Faroudja's DVP-1010 and DVP-1080
    or any of Runco's Vivix processors contain internal comb filters, or are they
    just scalers? Would there be an advantage to feeding the player's composite
    outputs to one of these units rather than using the s-video?
    Steve Grauman

    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message news:<20041022213946.07524.00002562@mb-m11.aol.com>...
    > >But no mods for new comb filter with DVI/SDI
    > >output yet :(
    >
    > Based on what I read in the comb-filter thread, it seems as though the HLD-X9's
    > comb filter is as good as it gets and that many high-end projection televisions
    > are still using the X9's filter. That said, I'm not sure I see the advantage in
    > adding DVI to a laserdisc player. Having a direct-digital output for analog
    > source material seems pointless, and IMO, would probably only serve to decrease
    > picture quality by adding an unnecesary A/D conversion which will only need to
    > be reversed (via D/A conversion) in tube and CRT-Lens projection sets which are
    > not "true digital" display devices like DLP, LCD and Plasma sets and projectors
    > are.
    > Steve Grauman

    Hi Steve!

    Like Josh said, you will lose at least one D/A and in most cases A/D.
    For example, I have the Crystalio video processor and that have DVI
    and SDI input and all conversion degrade the picture little. I have
    been in contact with Techwell and they have a comb filter (3D motion
    adaptive) that you can send out the signal from it with SDI or DVI. I
    think the problem is to make it work in the X9.

    I cannot tell more what he have done but there is rather much and we
    will see, in a technical view it SHOULD gain the picture quality and I
    don't think it is too hard to do it.

    I let you know when we try it out more

    /Mattias

    Hi,

    I think that you don't understand the exact working yet. The analog video
    signal comes too an AD converter. Than is past digital trough a comb filter
    en then trough a DA converter. So you can adapt the digital signal before
    the comb filter and AFTER the comb filter. Then you make advantage of the
    good comb filter and you avoid a DA-AD conversion from the laserdisc player
    too a Plasma, digital projector, scaler or other digital source.

    Greeting!

    Peter

    "Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> schreef in bericht
    > >If it were hypothetically possible
    > >to add an SDI or DVI connection to the comb filter directly, this would
    > >eliminate the D/A step in the LD player and the A/D in the display.
    > >

    > When we're talking about a high-quality filter like what's in the X9, is
    the
    > A/D conversion going to be better at the player than what would be
    performed at
    > the display device if the player were fed via composite rather than via
    > S-Video? I'm thinking that with high end projection equipment maybe the
    > composite outputs are best used, even with a player such as the X9,
    because at
    > least theoretically, part of what you paid for is the equipment's capacity
    > make a quality conversion from analog sources such as VHS and Laserdisc
    into
    > digital. I also wonder - do processors such as Faroudja's DVP-1010 and
    DVP-1080
    > or any of Runco's Vivix processors contain internal comb filters, or are
    they
    > just scalers? Would there be an advantage to feeding the player's
    composite
    > outputs to one of these units rather than using the s-video?
    > Steve Grauman

    It will be interesting. You take the 8-bit digitized composite signal and
    send it out with clocking. Then perform all the TBC, line-dropout,
    digitally separate the Y/C with the best comb filter you can get. You may
    have to do digital signal level adjustments as at the point the X9 converts
    the analog to 8-bit the composite level is 1.7 Vp-p also the 1.0 Vp-p NTSC
    Standard. Don't know if you'll be able to parallel the data out or have to
    add circuitry to stream it.

    I wonder if the best route is to purchase a Faroudja DVP-1010 and use that,
    it outputs DVI and the Faroudja products I've seen outperform the others.

    > oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message
    >> >But no mods for new comb filter with DVI/SDI
    >> >output yet :(
    >>
    >> Based on what I read in the comb-filter thread, it seems as though the
    >> HLD-X9's
    >> comb filter is as good as it gets and that many high-end projection
    >> televisions
    >> are still using the X9's filter. That said, I'm not sure I see the
    >> advantage in
    >> adding DVI to a laserdisc player. Having a direct-digital output for
    >> analog
    >> source material seems pointless, and IMO, would probably only serve to
    >> decrease
    >> picture quality by adding an unnecesary A/D conversion which will only
    >> need to
    >> be reversed (via D/A conversion) in tube and CRT-Lens projection sets
    >> which are
    >> not "true digital" display devices like DLP, LCD and Plasma sets and
    >> projectors
    >> are.
    >> Steve Grauman
    >
    > Hi Steve!
    >
    > Like Josh said, you will lose at least one D/A and in most cases A/D.
    > For example, I have the Crystalio video processor and that have DVI
    > and SDI input and all conversion degrade the picture little. I have
    > been in contact with Techwell and they have a comb filter (3D motion
    > adaptive) that you can send out the signal from it with SDI or DVI. I
    > think the problem is to make it work in the X9.
    >
    > I cannot tell more what he have done but there is rather much and we
    > will see, in a technical view it SHOULD gain the picture quality and I
    > don't think it is too hard to do it.
    >
    > I let you know when we try it out more
    >
    > /Mattias

    "Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> wrote in message
    > When we're talking about a high-quality filter like what's in the X9,
    > is the
    > A/D conversion going to be better at the player than what would be
    > performed at
    > the display device if the player were fed via composite rather than
    > via
    > S-Video?

    If you use the composite output, you bypass the comb filter in the LD
    player and use the one in the display instead.

    >The analog video
    >signal comes too an AD converte

    Why would a Laserdisc player digitize the signal BEFORE the comb filter if the
    composite outputs are being used? I don't understand why the player would
    unneccesarily digitize an analog signal.
    Steve Grauman

    Steve Grauman wrote:
    >>The analog video
    >>signal comes too an AD converte
    >

    > Why would a Laserdisc player digitize the signal BEFORE the comb filter if the
    > composite outputs are being used? I don't understand why the player would
    > unneccesarily digitize an analog signal.

    It is a DIGITAL comb filter.

    Matthew (BTW, Kraig has owned a whole lot more LD player than you have)

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game

    >I let you know when we try it out more

    Yea, I'm really interested. I've never thought about the possibility of adding
    DVI/SDI capability to a Laserdisc player and I'm curious about the results.
    Steve Grauman

    >If you use the composite output, you bypass the comb filter in the LD
    >player and use the one in the display instead.

    I understand that. What I'm asking is, if you let your processor or display
    device do the work, even though I understand that the comb filter as a whole in
    the X9 is usually about as good as they get, is it possible that the analog to
    digital conversion on it's own would be better elsewhere?
    Steve Grauman

    >It is a DIGITAL comb filter.

    Yea, I'm well aware. But the path to the comb filter, including the
    digitazation should be bypassed completely when the composite outputs are being
    used.

    >(BTW, Kraig has owned a whole lot more LD player than you have)

    Wow, thanks. That's helpful.

    > >If you use the composite output, you bypass the comb filter in the LD
    >>player and use the one in the display instead.
    >
    > I understand that. What I'm asking is, if you let your processor or
    > display
    > device do the work, even though I understand that the comb filter as a
    > whole in
    > the X9 is usually about as good as they get, is it possible that the
    > analog to
    > digital conversion on it's own would be better elsewhere?

    Yes, that is possible. However, since the X9 is already known to have a
    top-end comb filter, is it worth spending $5,000 or more on a Faroudja
    external comb filter that *may* possibly be better or may actually
    deliver the exact same results or even not as good?

    >Yes, that is possible. However, since the X9 is already known to have a
    >top-end comb filter, is it worth spending $5,000 or more on a Faroudja
    >external comb filter that *may* possibly be better or may actually
    >deliver the exact same results or even not as good?

    Point taken. And by the comment I take it that no one has verified if the
    processor in a DVP-1010 or 1080 would be better than the of the X9. Although I
    assume it's possible that someone may already have the $5,000 processor. It's
    to bad nobody here has acess to the equipment to make a comparison.
    Steve Grauman

    > (BTW, Kraig has owned a whole lot more LD players than you have)>

    Dear Matthew

    Steve is more interested in the theory of LD and is just hoping
    to be thrown some table scraps from our more tolerant NG veterans and frequent
    contributors.
    Though you and I disagree on some off topic material, I consider
    you to be this NG's authority on the technologies of A/V formats and would just
    ask you a question rather than using Steve's posting methodology:
    Is this right?
    Steve Grauman

    No? How about this?
    Steve Grauman

    No? Okay. This?
    Steve Grauman

    No? Oh, this?
    Steve Grauman

    No? Well, this?
    Steve Grauman

    No? Okay. I think I get it now.
    Steve Grauman

    No? Please don't be mad at me. I love everybody here.
    Steve Grauman

    Best wishes,

    Kraig

    "KAMCGANN" <kamcgann@aol.com> wrote in message

    Gosh you're an ass.....

    Biz wrote:

    > "KAMCGANN" <kamcgann@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Gosh you're an ass.....

    Really? I think he described Steve's methodology exactly.

    Matthew (who doesn't consider himself an LD expert)

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game

    Interested here also. Definitely keep us posted, Mattias
    ..

    > >I let you know when we try it out more
    >
    > Yea, I'm really interested. I've never thought about the possibility of
    adding
    > DVI/SDI capability to a Laserdisc player and I'm curious about the
    results.
    > Steve Grauman

    >Matthew (who doesn't consider himself an LD expert)>

    Dear Matthew
    Hello. I posted that I consider you to be this NG's authority on
    the technologies of A/V formats. You have been almost the only one to bother
    considering the cold hard facts regarding the design and performance of A/V
    formats, including the obsolete LD format. Without your objective
    interjections, some people might believe the magical performance claims made
    about the LD format gushed by this NG's progress phobic and sentimentally
    misguided.

    Kraig

Laser Disc Players