Just got my player today... problem!

I have a Pioneer LD-V2200. I just got my player from the UPS, and I
hooked it up. The only disc I have right now is Mortal Kombat
Widescreen Edition. I stuck it in and hit play.

It plays the disc fine and the video looks good, but there's a problem
with the sound. I can only listen to either the commentary track or
what seems to be the digital track. There's a bunch of noise on that
one. Those are my only options. I can't listen to the regular movie
audio!! Help!! Do you think it's the player?

-Mike

--
half_eaten
half_eaten's Profile: http://forums.yourdomain.com.au/member.php?userid=9

    "half_eaten" <half_eaten.1ee5eu@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in
    message news:half_eaten.1ee5eu@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

    > I have a Pioneer LD-V2200. I just got my player from the UPS, and I
    > hooked it up. The only disc I have right now is Mortal Kombat
    > Widescreen Edition. I stuck it in and hit play.
    >
    > It plays the disc fine and the video looks good, but there's a problem
    > with the sound. I can only listen to either the commentary track or
    > what seems to be the digital track. There's a bunch of noise on that
    > one. Those are my only options. I can't listen to the regular movie
    > audio!! Help!! Do you think it's the player?
    >
    > -Mike

    Unfortunately, it looks like the player you have can only handle mono sound.
    Am I right about this? I know that the v2200 is an older unit...

    "half_eaten" <half_eaten.1ee5eu@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in
    message news:half_eaten.1ee5eu@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...
    > I have a Pioneer LD-V2200. I just got my player from the UPS, and I
    > hooked it up. The only disc I have right now is Mortal Kombat
    > Widescreen Edition. I stuck it in and hit play.
    >
    > It plays the disc fine and the video looks good, but there's a problem
    > with the sound. I can only listen to either the commentary track or
    > what seems to be the digital track. There's a bunch of noise on that
    > one. Those are my only options. I can't listen to the regular movie
    > audio!! Help!! Do you think it's the player?

    The V2200 does not have digital sound capability. It can only read the
    analog sound channels on a laserdisc.

    The disc you have contains its primary movie soundtrack on the PCM
    digital tracks. One of the two analog channels stores the audio
    commentary and the other analog channel stores the Dolby Digital 5.1
    signal. Since you don't have the equipment to listen to Dolby Digital
    5.1 from LD, what comes out is a high pitched squealing sound.

    Until you get another player, when you shop for LDs make sure you only
    buy those that have a duplicate copy of the movie soundtrack on the
    analog channels. This means no discs with Dolby Digital 5.1, audio
    commentaries, or other supplement audio content such as music-only
    tracks.

    "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote...
    > Until you get another player, when you shop for LDs make sure you only
    > buy those that have a duplicate copy of the movie soundtrack on the
    > analog channels. This means no discs with Dolby Digital 5.1, audio
    > commentaries, or other supplement audio content such as music-only
    > tracks.

    Or, in the case of many AC-3 discs, simply unhook the right (red)
    analog RCA cable and listen the the left (white) channel only. Of
    course, this works only if there isn't an audio commentary in the left
    analog channel on the AC-3 disc.

    -Junior

    "unclejr" <watsona@kenyon.edu> wrote in message
    >> Until you get another player, when you shop for LDs make sure you
    >> only
    >> buy those that have a duplicate copy of the movie soundtrack on the
    >> analog channels. This means no discs with Dolby Digital 5.1, audio
    >> commentaries, or other supplement audio content such as music-only
    >> tracks.
    >
    > Or, in the case of many AC-3 discs, simply unhook the right (red)
    > analog RCA cable and listen the the left (white) channel only. Of
    > course, this works only if there isn't an audio commentary in the left
    > analog channel on the AC-3 disc.

    And will only deliver a mono sound mix.

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Video