Question for Kurtis re: CLD-D704 problem

Kurtis,

I recently purchased a Pioneer CLD-D704 on Ebay. I've come across a
problem which I'm trying to diagnose and those you might have a handle
on it. When playing a disc, the audio and picture quality are fine up
through about half of side "A" when the sound starts to deteriorate
and sound somewhat staticky. At the same time, there's visible noise
coming into the picture which gets worse as the disc goes on. If I
press stop and then eject, the disc stops but does not eject. I have
to turn the machine off and then back on to extract the disc.

Now, I found that by switching the audio channels from digital to
analog I can clear up the audio problem, but obviously not the video
noise.

Any ideas? And I should add that the seller has agreed to refund my
money and take the player back, but I wanted to see if there was a
possible easy/quick fix available before going that route.

Any info you can provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Dante
7 answers Last reply
More about question kurtis cld d704 problem

    Try this first, the spindle clamp could be dirty

    1. Press Eject so the tray is out then unplug the unit.
    2. Open the unit, in the middle above the spindle motor there is a bracket
    the
    holds the top have of the clamp.
    3. Remove the 4 screws, two on each side that hold the bracket and remove
    the
    bracket and top clamp piece.
    4. You can now easily see the clamping surface on the spindle motor. The
    outer thin rubber ring is what grips the LD.
    5. Firmly hold the spindle motor so it won't turn and take Radio Shack
    Professional head cleaning solution and a cleaning stick, chamois sticks
    preferred as they can scrub good
    6. Scrub a section of the rubber surface then rotate the motor and scrub
    another, Do this until thoroughly cleaned, you are basically resurfacing the
    rubber surface so scrub HARD. Note: If the surface is bad/dryrotted it will
    flake off during this. Don't worry as this means it was not good and needed
    replaced anyway. This has only happened once in the countless players I've
    cleaned.
    7. Put it back together and test, if it still slips do it again.

    Kurtis

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:04:29 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Try this first, the spindle clamp could be dirty
    >
    >1. Press Eject so the tray is out then unplug the unit.
    >2. Open the unit, in the middle above the spindle motor there is a bracket
    >the
    >holds the top have of the clamp.
    >3. Remove the 4 screws, two on each side that hold the bracket and remove
    >the
    >bracket and top clamp piece.
    >4. You can now easily see the clamping surface on the spindle motor. The
    >outer thin rubber ring is what grips the LD.
    >5. Firmly hold the spindle motor so it won't turn and take Radio Shack
    >Professional head cleaning solution and a cleaning stick, chamois sticks
    >preferred as they can scrub good
    >6. Scrub a section of the rubber surface then rotate the motor and scrub
    >another, Do this until thoroughly cleaned, you are basically resurfacing the
    >rubber surface so scrub HARD. Note: If the surface is bad/dryrotted it will
    >flake off during this. Don't worry as this means it was not good and needed
    >replaced anyway. This has only happened once in the countless players I've
    >cleaned.
    >7. Put it back together and test, if it still slips do it again.
    >
    >Kurtis

    Hi Kurtis,

    That seems to have helped a little but I've noticed that while it now
    flips over and plays both sides with no problem, it still exhibits the
    following symptons: as the player gets closer to the edge of the disc
    on side one, the digital audio track and picture quality degrade
    noticably [but less than before]. Side 2 has perfect audio, and only
    slight picture degradation towards the end of the disc.

    I've tried the exact same disc on the DVL-700 I have, and the disc
    plays fine in that player. Any ideas?

    I appreciate your help!
    Dante

    Dante Scott <DanteScott@noaddress.com> wrote...
    > That seems to have helped a little but I've noticed that while it now
    > flips over and plays both sides with no problem, it still exhibits the
    > following symptons: as the player gets closer to the edge of the disc
    > on side one, the digital audio track and picture quality degrade
    > noticably [but less than before]. Side 2 has perfect audio, and only
    > slight picture degradation towards the end of the disc.

    Scrub harder a second time?

    -Junior

    > Hi Kurtis,
    >
    > That seems to have helped a little but I've noticed that while it now
    > flips over and plays both sides with no problem, it still exhibits the
    > following symptons: as the player gets closer to the edge of the disc
    > on side one, the digital audio track and picture quality degrade
    > noticably [but less than before]. Side 2 has perfect audio, and only
    > slight picture degradation towards the end of the disc.
    >
    > I've tried the exact same disc on the DVL-700 I have, and the disc
    > plays fine in that player. Any ideas?
    >
    > I appreciate your help!
    > Dante

    Dante, I believe Kurtis' advice was to fix the ejecting problem only. Your
    audio/video issue is most likely tracking related(laser alignment, etc...)
    and will need to be serviced to fix that.

    OK;

    You tried the first step. If you now have the player playing both sides and
    if always ejects promptly as a new unit then what you have left is laser
    alignments.

    Either the units alignment needs to be corrected or the laser pickup is old
    and needs replaced.

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:41:06 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >OK;
    >
    >You tried the first step. If you now have the player playing both sides and
    >if always ejects promptly as a new unit then what you have left is laser
    >alignments.
    >
    >Either the units alignment needs to be corrected or the laser pickup is old
    >and needs replaced.
    >
    >Kurtis

    Yeah, I figured it would be something like that. Now, here's my next
    question, and I'm sorry if this is a real idiotic one: where does one
    take a laserdisc player for that kind of service? I'm in the San
    Diego area so if someone knows of a place they can recommend, I'd
    really appreciate it.

    And I just want to say thanks to all of you for your
    input/suggestions. This newbie really appreciates it.

    Dante

    Not an answer I can give you. I'm out by Washington D.C. Maybe someone
    else has knows someone in the San Diego/LA area that can help.

    > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:41:06 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>OK;
    >>
    >>You tried the first step. If you now have the player playing both sides
    >>and
    >>if always ejects promptly as a new unit then what you have left is laser
    >>alignments.
    >>
    >>Either the units alignment needs to be corrected or the laser pickup is
    >>old
    >>and needs replaced.
    >>
    >>Kurtis
    >
    > Yeah, I figured it would be something like that. Now, here's my next
    > question, and I'm sorry if this is a real idiotic one: where does one
    > take a laserdisc player for that kind of service? I'm in the San
    > Diego area so if someone knows of a place they can recommend, I'd
    > really appreciate it.
    >
    > And I just want to say thanks to all of you for your
    > input/suggestions. This newbie really appreciates it.
    >
    > Dante

Laser Disc Players Audio