5160 issue: Please Help!

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

About an hour ago I went to access my replay guide on my 5160 unit and I
noticed that there was a show missing (empty slot between 2 recorded show),
but the amount of time left was correct. So, I figured that there must be a
little glitch somewhere, so I did a reboot (by unplugging unit). After
everything was up & running I went bach to the channel guide screen to see
if the little problem was fixed. To my horror, I saw an empty channel guide
w/ 55+ hrs available at high record. Replay wasn't that familiar with the
problem but offered some possibilities as to why this might have happened
(one of them being a software glitch), but no info on how to fix it.
Please, can someone tell me what might have happened & if this is fixable?
Is there a way to recover the recorded shows?? I really need them back.
(the unit is networked to a router)
Any help is appreciated.
11 answers Last reply
More about 5160 issue
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <GQYbd.103$TU5.86@trndny06>, "maalox" <maalox1@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > About an hour ago I went to access my replay guide on my 5160 unit and I
    > noticed that there was a show missing (empty slot between 2 recorded show),
    > but the amount of time left was correct. So, I figured that there must be a
    > little glitch somewhere, so I did a reboot (by unplugging unit). After
    > everything was up & running I went bach to the channel guide screen to see
    > if the little problem was fixed. To my horror, I saw an empty channel guide
    > w/ 55+ hrs available at high record. Replay wasn't that familiar with the
    > problem but offered some possibilities as to why this might have happened
    > (one of them being a software glitch), but no info on how to fix it.
    > Please, can someone tell me what might have happened & if this is fixable?
    > Is there a way to recover the recorded shows?? I really need them back.

    You "really" need them back? What, will you die without them?

    Your hard drive is hosed. Expect this to happen on a device like this.
    Don't be surprised when it does. Be prepared to fix it on a regular
    basis--by installing a new hard drive with a new image on it, and
    starting fresh.

    (I have SpinRite; I wonder if it would serve the purpose of preventive
    maintenance....I'd hate to have to do all that work on a regular basis,
    though...)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:13:42 GMT, "maalox" <maalox1@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >About an hour ago I went to access my replay guide on my 5160 unit and I
    >noticed that there was a show missing (empty slot between 2 recorded show),
    >but the amount of time left was correct. So, I figured that there must be a
    >little glitch somewhere, so I did a reboot (by unplugging unit). After
    >everything was up & running I went bach to the channel guide screen to see
    >if the little problem was fixed. To my horror, I saw an empty channel guide
    >w/ 55+ hrs available at high record. Replay wasn't that familiar with the
    >problem but offered some possibilities as to why this might have happened
    >(one of them being a software glitch), but no info on how to fix it.
    >Please, can someone tell me what might have happened & if this is fixable?
    >Is there a way to recover the recorded shows?? I really need them back.
    >(the unit is networked to a router)
    >Any help is appreciated.
    >

    If this Replay is using an ethernet connection, you might try
    accessing the guide from a computer (using something like DVArchive)
    or another Replay. It might work that way. Don't record anything else
    until you try.

    --
    71 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <GQYbd.103$TU5.86@trndny06>, "maalox" <maalox1@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>About an hour ago I went to access my replay guide on my 5160 unit and I
    >>noticed that there was a show missing (empty slot between 2 recorded show),
    >>but the amount of time left was correct. So, I figured that there must be a
    >>little glitch somewhere, so I did a reboot (by unplugging unit). After
    >>everything was up & running I went bach to the channel guide screen to see
    >>if the little problem was fixed. To my horror, I saw an empty channel guide
    >>w/ 55+ hrs available at high record. Replay wasn't that familiar with the
    >>problem but offered some possibilities as to why this might have happened
    >>(one of them being a software glitch), but no info on how to fix it.
    >>Please, can someone tell me what might have happened & if this is fixable?
    >>Is there a way to recover the recorded shows?? I really need them back.
    >
    >
    > You "really" need them back? What, will you die without them?
    >
    > Your hard drive is hosed. Expect this to happen on a device like this.
    > Don't be surprised when it does. Be prepared to fix it on a regular
    > basis--by installing a new hard drive with a new image on it, and
    > starting fresh.
    >
    > (I have SpinRite; I wonder if it would serve the purpose of preventive
    > maintenance....I'd hate to have to do all that work on a regular basis,
    > though...)
    >

    I don't know what you mean by "regular basis", I have yet to have to
    replace an upgraded drive with fluid drive in 3.5 years.

    Spinrite does not work on non Dos/win file systems.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    maalox wrote:

    > About an hour ago I went to access my replay guide on my 5160 unit and I
    > noticed that there was a show missing (empty slot between 2 recorded show),
    > but the amount of time left was correct. So, I figured that there must be a
    > little glitch somewhere, so I did a reboot (by unplugging unit). After
    > everything was up & running I went bach to the channel guide screen to see
    > if the little problem was fixed. To my horror, I saw an empty channel guide
    > w/ 55+ hrs available at high record. Replay wasn't that familiar with the
    > problem but offered some possibilities as to why this might have happened
    > (one of them being a software glitch), but no info on how to fix it.
    > Please, can someone tell me what might have happened & if this is fixable?
    > Is there a way to recover the recorded shows?? I really need them back.
    > (the unit is networked to a router)
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    The system directory either contains bad spots or was corrupted. The
    mpeg partition is separate and may be recoverable using extract.
    DVArchive will not work because it simply emulates another replay. If
    this is possible, you would see the shows as unrecognizable numeric file
    names (essentially their time-stamps). You'd have to watch the file to
    see what it was and then rename it. I would ask some of the guys on the
    avsforum for Replay who have picked apart the Replay file system to see
    if this is worth the effort.

    Did this occur after watching live for an extended period? This can make
    the unit run out of space and scramble up the system partition.

    After you're finished, you could try to re-certify the drive (Lowlevel
    format) and if it passes, re-use it.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <3ridnbzkSNBZBOzcRVn-jw@comcast.com>,
    Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    > I don't know what you mean by "regular basis", I have yet to have to
    > replace an upgraded drive with fluid drive in 3.5 years.

    I'm not sure what you said here.


    > Spinrite does not work on non Dos/win file systems.

    Sure it does:

    http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

    It looks directly at the hard drive, independent of the file system.
    SpinRite itself runs on Intel-type systems, but it doesn't care anything
    about the file system of the disk it looks at.

    In fact, it is RECOMMENDED to do the full SpinRite test on a drive
    before you put it into a RTV. I upgraded a couple 50xx boxen with 160GB
    and 200GB drives, and took that advice. Right out of the box, no
    formatting, no nothing, I plugged the drives in and had SpinRite do its
    extensive testing to exercise the drive and map out bad sectors. No
    problem. (Took 30 or so hours for each drive...)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Actually, it happened after not using the unit for about 24 hrs. I turned
    the unit on and one show was missing and after a re-boot (plug removed) the
    entire replay guide (all the recorded shows) was missing w/the unit
    indicating 55+ hrs available at high record. I had about 50 hrs of stuff on
    the drive.
    I'll check the avs forum & see what those guys say.
    Thanks for the info.

    "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:ZI-dnaiS4cVTBuzcRVn-2g@comcast.com...
    > maalox wrote:
    >
    > > About an hour ago I went to access my replay guide on my 5160 unit and I
    > > noticed that there was a show missing (empty slot between 2 recorded
    show),
    > > but the amount of time left was correct. So, I figured that there must
    be a
    > > little glitch somewhere, so I did a reboot (by unplugging unit). After
    > > everything was up & running I went bach to the channel guide screen to
    see
    > > if the little problem was fixed. To my horror, I saw an empty channel
    guide
    > > w/ 55+ hrs available at high record. Replay wasn't that familiar with
    the
    > > problem but offered some possibilities as to why this might have
    happened
    > > (one of them being a software glitch), but no info on how to fix it.
    > > Please, can someone tell me what might have happened & if this is
    fixable?
    > > Is there a way to recover the recorded shows?? I really need them back.
    > > (the unit is networked to a router)
    > > Any help is appreciated.
    > >
    > The system directory either contains bad spots or was corrupted. The
    > mpeg partition is separate and may be recoverable using extract.
    > DVArchive will not work because it simply emulates another replay. If
    > this is possible, you would see the shows as unrecognizable numeric file
    > names (essentially their time-stamps). You'd have to watch the file to
    > see what it was and then rename it. I would ask some of the guys on the
    > avsforum for Replay who have picked apart the Replay file system to see
    > if this is worth the effort.
    >
    > Did this occur after watching live for an extended period? This can make
    > the unit run out of space and scramble up the system partition.
    >
    > After you're finished, you could try to re-certify the drive (Lowlevel
    > format) and if it passes, re-use it.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <3ridnbzkSNBZBOzcRVn-jw@comcast.com>,
    > Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I don't know what you mean by "regular basis", I have yet to have to
    >>replace an upgraded drive with fluid drive in 3.5 years.
    >
    >
    > I'm not sure what you said here.

    Newer drives with fluid bearings last much longer.

    >
    >>Spinrite does not work on non Dos/win file systems.
    >
    >
    > Sure it does:
    >
    > http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

    Version 6 apparently does now, Version 5 didn't.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <8d6dnTao2rY-Me_cRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
    Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    > >>Spinrite does not work on non Dos/win file systems.
    > >
    > >
    > > Sure it does:
    > >
    > > http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm
    >
    > Version 6 apparently does now, Version 5 didn't.

    Yeah, it did. SpinRite's claim to fame has always been low-level, OS-
    and format-independent work.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <8d6dnTao2rY-Me_cRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
    > Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>>Spinrite does not work on non Dos/win file systems.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Sure it does:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm
    >>
    >>Version 6 apparently does now, Version 5 didn't.
    >
    >
    > Yeah, it did. SpinRite's claim to fame has always been low-level, OS-
    > and format-independent work.
    >

    I own 5.0. I had a corrupt netware volume. I emailed grc. Not supported.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Once upon a time, the FAT file system was all SpinRite supported. It's only
    been quite recently that SpinRite could handle newer file sytems.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:C4idnUBVZNPsTe_cRVn-rw@comcast.com...
    > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> In article <8d6dnTao2rY-Me_cRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
    >> Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>>>Spinrite does not work on non Dos/win file systems.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Sure it does:
    >>>>
    >>>>http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm
    >>>
    >>>Version 6 apparently does now, Version 5 didn't.
    >>
    >>
    >> Yeah, it did. SpinRite's claim to fame has always been low-level, OS-
    >> and format-independent work.
    >>
    >
    > I own 5.0. I had a corrupt netware volume. I emailed grc. Not supported.
    >
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <ckvcs402ag3@news2.newsguy.com>,
    "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    > Once upon a time, the FAT file system was all SpinRite supported. It's only
    > been quite recently that SpinRite could handle newer file sytems.

    It isn't doing its work on the file system.
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Replaytv