    actually told you they'll do a transfer from a 2020?

    From:Lump Kin
    lumpkin666@hotmail.com

    > NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
    > activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
    > lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
    > to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
    > FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
    > completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
    > lifetime on the 2020?
    >
    > I know that some are going to bitch and moan about my request. If so,
    > save it for someone who cares.
    >
    > thx
    > lmpk

    > NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
    > activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
    > lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
    > to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
    > FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
    > completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
    > lifetime on the 2020?

    Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
    failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
    image file for the 4500.

    After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
    Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
    good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
    But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
    If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
    already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?

    If no one has an answer, I'll call support, but I suspect they won't help
    since it wasn't an authorized drive switch.

    The old disk wasn't completely dead. It was just acting really flaky. So
    I figured it was safer to download a clean image than to try to save the
    old OS from my disk. I did go back after the activiation page came up and
    put the old disk on my computer. The drive seems to have died in the mean
    time. I can't even get my machien to recognize that it's attached. If
    this is the only way to get past this, I'll play some more and see if I can
    get anything off the old drive.

    Thanks.

    --
    Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
    PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message news:<dcoad.4715$Aa1.2120@twister.socal.rr.com>...
    > The 2020 was sold with a lifetime sub as they didn't unbundle the subs
    > back then. The 2020 activation isn't transferable to a new unit from
    > what I understand but if it is please let us know. Has anyone at DNNA
    > actually told you they'll do a transfer from a 2020?

    I talked to a fellow who said they would do it, but didn't get his
    name. He gave me a case # to reference my call with his notes in it
    so that I could call back when I got my replacement box and get it
    transferred. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't transfer
    the activation to the new box given that information.

    Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote in message news:<e1pad.292598$bp1.11875@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
    > > NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
    > > activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
    > > lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
    > > to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
    > > FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
    > > completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
    > > lifetime on the 2020?
    >
    > Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
    > failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
    > image file for the 4500.
    >
    > After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
    > Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
    > good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
    > But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
    > If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
    > already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?
    >
    > If no one has an answer, I'll call support, but I suspect they won't help
    > since it wasn't an authorized drive switch.
    >
    > The old disk wasn't completely dead. It was just acting really flaky. So
    > I figured it was safer to download a clean image than to try to save the
    > old OS from my disk. I did go back after the activiation page came up and
    > put the old disk on my computer. The drive seems to have died in the mean
    > time. I can't even get my machien to recognize that it's attached. If
    > this is the only way to get past this, I'll play some more and see if I can
    > get anything off the old drive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Was it a monthly sub before? If so, the activation message may be
    because it's activation has expired and it needs to dial in to update.
    You shouldn't loose lifetime activation from a disk change since the
    activation is kept on an eeprom in the machine separate from the
    drive.

    Have you tried 243 zones to force it to net connect and update it's
    activation? If you can stand being on hold for an eternity, call DNNA
    tell them that your unit says it's not activated and ask them how to
    get past that error - don't bother them with details of the drive
    change, as it shouldn't be relevant to the problem.

    Your issue is somewhat different than mine, in that my unit will still
    know that it's activated (since the lifetime will still be on the
    EEPROM) until it tries to connect to DNNA. Once it connects, their
    system should say "oops, you're no longer a lifetime", and deactivate
    it.

    What I want to do should not be considered theft since I want to sever
    my ties completely from their service and simply use the replay unit
    (if I can repair it) with my own guide data (via wirns and fresco).
    The problem is, I am not sure if I can effectively block all
    communications with the RTV servers to keep it from trying to access
    their network (thus causing theft of services?) and getting the
    deactivation message. I need to know how to effectively block all
    communicatins with the RTV server AND automatically create the correct
    communications on my internal network to emulate what my RTV unit
    expects so that it will continue to run correctly.

    TIA for your help.
    lmpk

    Larry Moss wrote:
    >>NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
    >>activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
    >>lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
    >>to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
    >>FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
    >>completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
    >>lifetime on the 2020?
    >

    > Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
    > failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
    > image file for the 4500.
    >
    > After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
    > Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
    > good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
    > But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
    > If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
    > already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?

    You don't activate it. You just do a net connect for the guide and the
    machine is reset.

    Greg wrote:
    > A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
    > it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.
    > A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
    > sure what else it is good for without a network connection.
    >
    > BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
    > machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
    > activated, machine for a streamer.
    > Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.

    I understand that concept (rtv can run as a standalone forever).
    However, I would LIKE to use the scheduling features using MY OWN
    schedule as derived from sources other than DNNA. You can do this by
    using a linux box to emulate the local dialup connection and pass the
    requests to a WiRNS server, which then, in turn proxies your requests
    to the DNNA server and allows you to push your own schedule instead of
    theirs. Unfortunately, WiRNS still requires communication with the
    DNNA server to provide the appropriate hand-shaking information,
    activation, and such. What I was hoping is that someone had
    documented how one might create their own handshaking mechanisms and
    avoid any connection to the DNNA server.

    I do believe that in order to load the schedule information onto your
    computer, the replay device expects certain information that is only
    currently supplied by DNNA. I really don't care what that information
    is, but it needs to be valid enough to allow the 2020 to get through
    the schedule upload process.

    In article <b44b3d69.0410110624.349725c8@posting.google.com>,
    lumpkin666@hotmail.com (Lump Kin) wrote:

    > What I want to do should not be considered theft since I want to sever
    > my ties completely from their service and simply use the replay unit
    > (if I can repair it) with my own guide data (via wirns and fresco).

    No, that is theft.

    Your license to use the software on their box is tied to your activation
    with them. If you're not paid up, you can't use their software on their
    box.

    On 11 Oct 2004 16:27:35 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>The problem is, I am not sure if I can effectively block all
    >>communications with the RTV servers
    >
    >A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
    >it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.

    The ZIP has no effect on the ability to connect. The error from a
    bogus ZIP wouldn't be detected until AFTER the connection is made,
    Perhaps you mean a bogus PHONE NUMBER. These are completely
    independant. I often used different phone/ZIP combinations (such as a
    number for Texas, where I am and a ZIP for New York, where I was
    checking on listings for) when testing.

    >A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
    >sure what else it is good for without a network connection.
    >
    >BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
    >machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
    >activated, machine for a streamer.
    >Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    You are dialing with the PC modem?
    Since this is a garden variety async connection, why not trace the line and see
    what it sends?

    I never tried the RNS server but I thought it could operate standalone.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >Perhaps you mean a bogus PHONE NUMBER. These are completely
    >independant.

    My mistake sorry. I never used the dial up on my 4500. I just guessed it picked
    up the number from the zip code. How do you know what a good number is when you
    are starting from scratch?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 11 Oct 2004 20:57:47 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>Perhaps you mean a bogus PHONE NUMBER. These are completely
    >>independant.
    >
    >My mistake sorry. I never used the dial up on my 4500.

    I now have 3 5xxx units (one a year and a half old), and have never
    used phone with any of them (it's ethernet and a cable modem). My
    information comes from using a 2020 (one of the first, it was a
    substitution for a $700 2001), 3060, and a 30-hr Showstopper. BTW, I
    still have the 2020 and 3060. The Showstopper is the only one that
    failed.

    > I just guessed it picked
    >up the number from the zip code.

    It doesn't (at least the older ones don't). There's no phone number
    unless you're using the phoneline.

    > How do you know what a good number is when you
    >are starting from scratch?

    Irrelevant for ethernet, it uses your existing internet connection.
    For dial-up, it asks you to enter 6 digits of your number (as in
    (903)657-xxxx), then dials a national toll-free number (built in to
    the software) and gives you a list of applicable local numbers (check
    on which are local to you). You might have to try 1-3 from the list.

    I have several times used an older Replay to check on the guides for
    other areas. I'd leave the number at 903-657 (correct for my area) and
    enter the ZIP for the area I want to check on (like 10001 for New
    York). It would dial the already set up number for my area (which is a
    long way from NY) and get the guides for NY.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <b44b3d69.0410110624.349725c8@posting.google.com>,
    > lumpkin666@hotmail.com (Lump Kin) wrote:
    >

    >>What I want to do should not be considered theft since I want to sever
    >>my ties completely from their service and simply use the replay unit
    >>(if I can repair it) with my own guide data (via wirns and fresco).
    >

    > No, that is theft.
    >
    > Your license to use the software on their box is tied to your activation
    > with them. If you're not paid up, you can't use their software on their
    > box.

    I'd be interested where the license states this "fact" in an enforceable
    manner.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    This is the best site I've found for doing what you are describing.

    http://www.molehill.org/twiki/bin/view/Replay/

    Because you have a lifetime activation, the cryptographic signing
    should never be an issue for you.

    On 11 Oct 2004 10:45:27 -0700, lumpkin666@hotmail.com (Lump Kin)
    wrote:

    >Greg wrote:
    >> A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
    >> it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.
    >> A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
    >> sure what else it is good for without a network connection.
    >>
    >> BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
    >> machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
    >> activated, machine for a streamer.
    >> Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.
    >>

    >I understand that concept (rtv can run as a standalone forever).
    >However, I would LIKE to use the scheduling features using MY OWN
    >schedule as derived from sources other than DNNA. You can do this by
    >using a linux box to emulate the local dialup connection and pass the
    >requests to a WiRNS server, which then, in turn proxies your requests
    >to the DNNA server and allows you to push your own schedule instead of
    >theirs. Unfortunately, WiRNS still requires communication with the
    >DNNA server to provide the appropriate hand-shaking information,
    >activation, and such. What I was hoping is that someone had
    >documented how one might create their own handshaking mechanisms and
    >avoid any connection to the DNNA server.
    >
    >I do believe that in order to load the schedule information onto your
    >computer, the replay device expects certain information that is only
    >currently supplied by DNNA. I really don't care what that information
    >is, but it needs to be valid enough to allow the 2020 to get through
    >the schedule upload process.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Lump Kin wrote:

    > NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
    > activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
    > lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
    > to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
    > FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
    > completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
    > lifetime on the 2020?
    >
    > I know that some are going to bitch and moan about my request. If so,
    > save it for someone who cares.
    >
    > thx
    > lmpk

    No..... Not complaining. But it may be easier to do than you think.

    I've no presonal expierence doing this but from other posts in this
    newsgroup I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
    purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive, The chip dontains
    NO info on the hard drive. So if you change/upgrade/add your hard drive
    (add a 2nd drive) the activation registration does not change.

    Thus, it remains activted.. In short. No problem

    Or so they say
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
    >purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive,

    The serial number is on the chip, the software load on the drive gets selected
    by what RTV thinks that S/N's activation status is when you load it.
    They don't have a clue whether you are going to be lifetime or monthly when
    they made that machine.
    You can also upgrade a monthly to a lifetime without sending it in for a chip
    transplant. There may be something "flashed" into the chip on activation but
    whether that is on the chip or the drive is purely semantic. If you start with
    a factory reset it should do that again.
    I bet it is really just in the software load.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Greg wrote:

    >>I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
    >>purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive,
    >

    > The serial number is on the chip, the software load on the drive gets selected
    > by what RTV thinks that S/N's activation status is when you load it.
    > They don't have a clue whether you are going to be lifetime or monthly when
    > they made that machine.
    > You can also upgrade a monthly to a lifetime without sending it in for a chip
    > transplant. There may be something "flashed" into the chip on activation but
    > whether that is on the chip or the drive is purely semantic. If you start with
    > a factory reset it should do that again.
    > I bet it is really just in the software load.

    Some series were sold only activated 2ks, 3ks. ALL units check
    activation status upon connecting.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >Some series were sold only activated 2ks, 3ks. ALL units check
    >activation status upon connecting.

    Actually the RTV seems to check activation status every time you do anything
    (based on my experience with my 45**) but I suppose you are talking about the
    host server checking the S/N vs the database before it sends anything down the
    pipe.
    Some day I may buy another one to play with but I am just leaving mine alone
    right now. I don't want any more complication in my life.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Greg wrote:
    >>Some series were sold only activated 2ks, 3ks. ALL units check
    >>activation status upon connecting.
    >>

    > Actually the RTV seems to check activation status every time you do anything
    > (based on my experience with my 45**) but I suppose you are talking about the
    > host server checking the S/N vs the database before it sends anything down the
    > pipe.
    > Some day I may buy another one to play with but I am just leaving mine alone
    > right now. I don't want any more complication in my life.

    There are many reasons why they check.

    Your credit card might have expired so your monthly has run out.

    Somebody could clone a drive every 10 days to get a new "grace period".

    The unit might be stolen.

    You may have transferred life activation and then tried to keep using
    the other unit.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 2004-10-11, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:
    > Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
    > failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
    > image file for the 4500.

    ok, it turns out I misunderstood the original question and my problem is
    not related. So I've changed the subject to separate it from the long
    thread that the original poster intended.

    > After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
    > Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
    > good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
    > But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
    > If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
    > already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?

    First, I want to thank everyone that responded. I had hoped to post a note
    before I was bombarded with the (partial) answer when I realized what I
    left out. I did need to force a net connect to finish the upgrade process.
    Unfortunately, that's not as easy as it sounds since there's still a
    problem with my machine that wasn't fixed with the new drive and clean OS.
    This is a problem that existed before, but I hoped that starting over with
    a blank disk would solve it. (There were other symptoms of a bad disk, so
    the swap made sense.)

    Here's the problem. I reboot (doesn't matter if it's a warm boot or if I
    unplug it for a while). It comes up fine and does everythign it's supposed
    to. I lose the network about 5 minutes after I reboot. If I force a
    net connect immediately after rebooting, it connects to the network and
    updates program guide information. Upon reboot, all other network
    activities also work. DVArchive sees it as it should. A few minutes
    later, all devices on the network continue to see each other except the
    RTV. Nothing I do allows it to see the network again. The RTV still says
    it has a network number from the DHCP server, so that's not it. I tried
    configuring the network info statically as well, just in case.

    Since it always works upon reboot for a few minutes without powering off
    (and completely resetting hardware) I had assumed the problem was software
    or a corrupt disk. But since I started with a completely clean disk and a
    (presumably) clean OS image, that brings me back to hardware. I don't know
    if the ethernet hardware is reaplaceable. I should have looked at it while
    I had the box open.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
    PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
    Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Greg wrote:

    >>I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
    >>purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive,
    >

    > The serial number is on the chip, the software load on the drive gets selected
    > by what RTV thinks that S/N's activation status is when you load it.
    > They don't have a clue whether you are going to be lifetime or monthly when
    > they made that machine.
    > You can also upgrade a monthly to a lifetime without sending it in for a chip
    > transplant. There may be something "flashed" into the chip on activation but
    > whether that is on the chip or the drive is purely semantic. If you start with
    > a factory reset it should do that again.
    > I bet it is really just in the software load.

    This is all theory, I've no way to check it out, but I suspect when you
    buy one of the 'Modern' units where you have a choice of monthly or
    lifetime they simply program your UNIT ID (actually this is all done
    automatically) into their computer as "lifetime" and then every night
    when your RTV calls in for it's daily update it gets a "Good to play"
    flag from it's "home base" and works.

    In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
    lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Here's the problem. I reboot (doesn't matter if it's a warm boot or if I
    > unplug it for a while). It comes up fine and does everythign it's supposed
    > to. I lose the network about 5 minutes after I reboot. If I force a
    > net connect immediately after rebooting, it connects to the network and
    > updates program guide information. Upon reboot, all other network
    > activities also work. DVArchive sees it as it should. A few minutes
    > later, all devices on the network continue to see each other except the
    > RTV. Nothing I do allows it to see the network again. The RTV still says
    > it has a network number from the DHCP server, so that's not it. I tried
    > configuring the network info statically as well, just in case.

    There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so. By doing this you
    insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
    address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
    this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
    changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
    5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > This is all theory, I've no way to check it out, but I suspect when you
    > buy one of the 'Modern' units where you have a choice of monthly or
    > lifetime they simply program your UNIT ID (actually this is all done
    > automatically) into their computer as "lifetime" and then every night
    > when your RTV calls in for it's daily update it gets a "Good to play"
    > flag from it's "home base" and works.
    >
    > In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
    > lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.

    Correct. BUT when the unit authorizes, encrypted changes are made to the
    registry. This is why a cloned disk is "unactivated" until the first
    connect. Thereafter, the unit is "checked", but nothing happens unless
    the server knows it SHOULD be activated but isn't.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:58:41 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >> Here's the problem. I reboot (doesn't matter if it's a warm boot or if I
    >> unplug it for a while). It comes up fine and does everythign it's supposed
    >> to. I lose the network about 5 minutes after I reboot. If I force a
    >> net connect immediately after rebooting, it connects to the network and
    >> updates program guide information. Upon reboot, all other network
    >> activities also work. DVArchive sees it as it should. A few minutes
    >> later, all devices on the network continue to see each other except the
    >> RTV. Nothing I do allows it to see the network again. The RTV still says
    >> it has a network number from the DHCP server, so that's not it. I tried
    >> configuring the network info statically as well, just in case.
    >>
    >There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    >addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    >network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    >for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.

    Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
    (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).

    I've been trying that for a week or so after finding a program that
    allows that. It seems to significantly improved the stability of the
    Replays.

    > By doing this you
    >insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
    >address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
    >this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
    >changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
    >5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
    >lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.

    That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
    monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
    and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
    after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Greg wrote:
    >>In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
    >>lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.
    >

    > That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
    > monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
    > and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
    > after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.

    Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:34:26 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Greg wrote:
    >>>In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
    >>>lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.
    >>

    >> That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
    >> monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
    >> and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
    >> after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.
    >
    >Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.

    The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
    the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
    (used for grace period and monthly activation).

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  28. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
    >>>monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
    >>>and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
    >>>after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.
    >>
    >>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
    >

    > The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
    > the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
    > (used for grace period and monthly activation).

    It is an encrypted registry change.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:22:42 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
    >>

    >> The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
    >> the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
    >> (used for grace period and monthly activation).
    >>
    >It is an encrypted registry change.

    and where is this data stored (HD or EEPROM)?

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  30. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    >>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    >>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    >>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
    >

    > Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
    > (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).

    No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
    replay ask for and each gets a different address.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:25:30 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

    >>>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    >>>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    >>>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    >>>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
    >>

    >> Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
    >> (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).
    >>

    >No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
    >replay ask for and each gets a different address.

    OK. I first found the problems with dynamic when it would break port
    forwarding (for IVS) 2-3 times a week by getting a different IP
    (unlike the computers in the network). Static works better, but still
    has problems because it will request a dynamic IP anyway.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  32. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.

    How can that possibly be true? Lifetime machines do not time out if they don't
    connect regularly or if the clock gets corrupted.

    Are you saying there is nothing but a flag bit that branches around the
    activation timer on a lifetime?
    Hello hackers! There is only one BOC you need to no-op?
  33. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 12 Oct 2004 17:20:08 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
    >
    >How can that possibly be true? Lifetime machines do not time out if they don't
    >connect regularly or if the clock gets corrupted.
    >
    >Are you saying there is nothing but a flag bit that branches around the
    >activation timer on a lifetime?
    >Hello hackers! There is only one BOC you need to no-op?

    I don't have access to the source code, but from what I do see, there
    could be 2 bytes in the EEPROM (on the Replay board) that act like
    this:

    byte 0: activation type:

    00 = not activated. Unit won't do anything but connect
    to the service to find out if it's activated

    01 = grace period in effect. The difference between 1
    and 2 is the information in the SETUP menu and
    the nags given telling you to activate.

    02 = limited-time (monthly) activation

    03 = permanent (lifetime) activation

    byte 1: activation days counter:

    This is decremented every day unless already 0.
    If byte 0 is 1 or 2, a logic bomb is armed and
    decrementing this to 0 will cause the unit to be
    deactivated (set byte 0 to 0).

    Of course, there are other ways to do it.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  34. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
    >>>(the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).
    >>>

    >>No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
    >>replay ask for and each gets a different address.
    >

    > OK. I first found the problems with dynamic when it would break port
    > forwarding (for IVS) 2-3 times a week by getting a different IP
    > (unlike the computers in the network). Static works better, but still
    > has problems because it will request a dynamic IP anyway.

    Mark, as I stated you must ALSO set the DHCP server to use a reserved IP
    address for the replay. This address must be the same as the static one
    set up in the Replay. This way when the Replay HW requests an address
    from the DHCP server on bootup it gives it the same address as the
    static software setting in the Replay. Net result: all parts of the
    Replay have the same address and no problemo.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:22:42 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
    >>>the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
    >>>(used for grace period and monthly activation).
    >>>

    >>It is an encrypted registry change.
    >

    > and where is this data stored (HD or EEPROM)?

    Hard disk
  36. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:36:34 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
    >>>replay ask for and each gets a different address.
    >>

    >> OK. I first found the problems with dynamic when it would break port
    >> forwarding (for IVS) 2-3 times a week by getting a different IP
    >> (unlike the computers in the network). Static works better, but still
    >> has problems because it will request a dynamic IP anyway.
    >>
    >Mark, as I stated you must ALSO set the DHCP server to use a reserved IP
    >address for the replay. This address must be the same as the static one
    >set up in the Replay.

    That's ALMOST what I'm doing now. If you do that, there's no need to
    set a static IP on the Replay. Dynamic works fine (and is easier,
    since you just set that IP in 1 place), since the DHCP server is
    always assigning the same IP to that MAC address. If there was any
    other MAC address involved, it would show ip in this DHCP server's
    log. I've been doing this for over a week now.

    > This way when the Replay HW requests an address
    >from the DHCP server on bootup it gives it the same address as the
    >static software setting in the Replay. Net result: all parts of the
    >Replay have the same address and no problemo.

    Set the Replay to dynamic, less maintenance to worry about. The DHCP
    server has been set to give a certain IP. It won't have any other.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  37. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:58:41 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    >>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    >>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    >>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
    >

    > Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
    > (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).

    No, Dynamic means that every time the Replay is re-booted it can grab a
    different IP address... so today it's x.y.z.100, tomorrow it's x.y.z.102

    Static or Fixed (Depending on your router) means that the MAC address
    assoicated with your Replay is set by you to a specific address,,,, In
    my case it's x.y.z.100 (Where x, y and z are the normal addresses of all
    my networked hardware 192.168.0 in my case, 192.158.1 in my daughter's)

    That's in the router settings.

    Now... in the REPLAY's set up, yes you use dynamic addressing so it
    grabs it's IP address from the router

    Or you can set to fixed (giving the same address) it does not matter
    which way you do it.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:12:03 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:58:41 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    >>>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    >>>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    >>>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
    >>

    >> Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
    >> (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).
    >

    >No, Dynamic means that every time the Replay is re-booted it can grab a
    >different IP address... so today it's x.y.z.100, tomorrow it's x.y.z.102
    >
    >Static or Fixed (Depending on your router) means that the MAC address
    >assoicated with your Replay is set by you to a specific address,,,,

    There seems to be some confusion here. I was talking about setting the
    REPLAY to "dynamic IP". It's the DHCP server that needs to provide a
    certain IP (static IP).

    > In
    >my case it's x.y.z.100 (Where x, y and z are the normal addresses of all
    >my networked hardware 192.168.0 in my case, 192.158.1 in my daughter's)

    It that a typo? The local addresses should all start with 192.168. The
    next number can be different in different networks (usually
    router-dependant).

    >That's in the router settings.
    >

    >Now... in the REPLAY's set up, yes you use dynamic addressing so it
    >grabs it's IP address from the router
    >
    >Or you can set to fixed (giving the same address) it does not matter
    >which way you do it.

    Yes, either will work. It's somewhat easier to use "dynamic". Not for
    the equipment itself, but for the user. There's less to remember and
    change when changing network setup. The same reason dynamic
    addressing is easier with computers.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  39. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    > There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    > addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    > network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    > for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so. By doing this you
    > insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
    > address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
    > this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
    > changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
    > 5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.

    I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this problem
    cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug you're talking
    about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.

    1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:

    2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC address
    of the RTV.

    3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).

    4. Unplugged RTV for a while.

    5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.

    As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from the
    network. So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but changed (3) to
    the same static IP that the router is set to give it. Same thing happens.
    It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.

    The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't appear
    that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
    lease is, but that seems awfully short.

    I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router completely
    just to see what would happen. I can't keep it that way, but it might be
    worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1 year old in the house
    and finding time that I can do anything is impossible. I get to try one
    experiment a day, it seems.

    thanks again for the help.

    --
    Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
    PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
    Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
    that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
    Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
    don't need to set the address reservation. The RTV should connect and
    use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
    list which is only for DHCP.
    Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
    was your problem, it should be fixed.

    From:Larry Moss
    moss@airigami.com

    > On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have
    >> different IP addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip
    >> addressses on a network that has a DHCP server. The server should be
    >> set for reserved ip for the Replay and the lease time set to a week
    >> or so. By doing this you insure that when a Replay reboots all parts
    >> of it get the same ip address. There is a possibility you have a
    >> flaky network chip, but try this first. Also do not warm boot the
    >> machine after you make all these changes. Unplug for 10 minutes.
    >> When the unit starts up, it may take 5-10 minutes to boot for the
    >> first time.
    >
    > I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this
    > problem cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug
    > you're talking about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.
    >
    > 1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:
    >
    > 2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC
    > address of the RTV.
    >
    > 3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).
    >
    > 4. Unplugged RTV for a while.
    >
    > 5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.
    >
    > As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from
    > the network. So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but
    > changed (3) to the same static IP that the router is set to give it.
    > Same thing happens. It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.
    >
    > The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't
    > appear that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the
    > length of the lease is, but that seems awfully short.
    >
    > I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router
    > completely just to see what would happen. I can't keep it that way,
    > but it might be worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1
    > year old in the house and finding time that I can do anything is
    > impossible. I get to try one experiment a day, it seems.
    >
    > thanks again for the help.
    >
    > --
    > Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
    > PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
    > Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex
    > containers.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    BruceR wrote:
    > Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
    > that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
    > Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
    > don't need to set the address reservation.

    Yes, you do. Upon a restart the hw may request an ip which the server
    will assign which will then be different than the static one set. This
    scenario almost guarantees a problem will sometimes occur.

    > The RTV should connect and
    > use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
    > list which is only for DHCP.
    > Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
    > was your problem, it should be fixed.
    >
    > From:Larry Moss
    > moss@airigami.com
  42. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In fact, the router (at least my Netgear MR814) won't allow an address
    reservation to be set for a non-DHCP address. How do you do it? As long
    as a static address has been defined in the RTV and that range is above
    the DHCP range in the router, I've found that it works 100%. The RTV
    will only request the static IP you've selected if you've set it up as
    static rather than DHCP.

    From:Tony D
    nospam@nospam.com

    > BruceR wrote:
    >> Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50
    >> devices that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you
    >> need to). Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something
    >> like .88. You don't need to set the address reservation.
    >
    > Yes, you do. Upon a restart the hw may request an ip which the server
    > will assign which will then be different than the static one set. This
    > scenario almost guarantees a problem will sometimes occur.
    >
    >> The RTV should connect and
    >> use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached
    >> Devices" list which is only for DHCP.
    >> Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
    >> was your problem, it should be fixed.
    >>
    >> From:Larry Moss
    >> moss@airigami.com
  43. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    BruceR wrote:
    > In fact, the router (at least my Netgear MR814) won't allow an address
    > reservation to be set for a non-DHCP address. How do you do it? As long
    > as a static address has been defined in the RTV and that range is above
    > the DHCP range in the router, I've found that it works 100%. The RTV
    > will only request the static IP you've selected if you've set it up as
    > static rather than DHCP.

    I use static in the DHCP range with a reserved ip in the router. You
    seem to think there is some "theory" involved here. There is none. It is
    a documented fact. The hardware and the VXWorks operating system can get
    2 different ip addresses. If you use DHCP ONLY unless you have a long
    lease time, you'll get different ips.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:43:01 GMT, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com>
    wrote:

    >On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
    >> addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
    >> network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
    >> for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so. By doing this you
    >> insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
    >> address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
    >> this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
    >> changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
    >> 5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.

    My Replays were doing that too (disapperring from the network,
    although local stuff still worked) until I got that static DHCP
    program.

    >I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this problem
    >cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug you're talking
    >about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.

    Maybe you thought the Replay just needed rebooting, as they sometimes
    do. I've had this happening for a long time.

    >1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:
    >
    >2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC address
    >of the RTV.

    My router won't allow that. I disabled it's DHCP server and got a
    program from http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm that
    allows static IP assignments. This can run on any computer on your
    network (of course that computer needs a static IP).

    >3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).
    >
    >4. Unplugged RTV for a while.
    >
    >5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.
    >
    >As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from the
    >network.

    Are you sure you set your router right? Does the Replay get the IP you
    set? Does your router have a DHCP table you can check? That last thing
    would allow you to see is the Replay is still getting a dynamic IP
    other than the one you want.

    > So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but changed (3) to
    >the same static IP that the router is set to give it.

    Won't help if the DHCP is working correctly. It just makes it more
    complicated (you always have to set the IP in 2 places).

    >Same thing happens.
    >It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.
    >
    >The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time.

    The program I'm using uses a very long lease time (which is fine for
    statically assigned IPs). The leases seem to be good until January
    2038.

    > It doesn't appear
    >that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
    >lease is, but that seems awfully short.
    >
    >I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router completely
    >just to see what would happen.

    It might work, but then you'd have to set static IPs on the computers
    too. How about trying that program I mentioned? I've been using it
    since Oct 1, and the Replays have not disappeared from the network
    even once in those 12 days.

    > I can't keep it that way, but it might be
    >worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1 year old in the house
    >and finding time that I can do anything is impossible. I get to try one
    >experiment a day, it seems.
    >
    >thanks again for the help.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  45. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:05:44 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
    >that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
    >Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
    >don't need to set the address reservation. The RTV should connect and
    >use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
    >list which is only for DHCP.

    However, when you do that it will use the static address AND get a
    dynamic one (it's buggy that way). Check your router's "Attached
    Devices" list after setting a static address on the Replay.

    > Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
    >was your problem, it should be fixed.
    >
    >From:Larry Moss
    >moss@airigami.com
    >
    >> On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have
    >>> different IP addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip
    >>> addressses on a network that has a DHCP server. The server should be
    >>> set for reserved ip for the Replay and the lease time set to a week
    >>> or so. By doing this you insure that when a Replay reboots all parts
    >>> of it get the same ip address. There is a possibility you have a
    >>> flaky network chip, but try this first. Also do not warm boot the
    >>> machine after you make all these changes. Unplug for 10 minutes.
    >>> When the unit starts up, it may take 5-10 minutes to boot for the
    >>> first time.
    >>
    >> I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this
    >> problem cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug
    >> you're talking about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.
    >>
    >> 1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:
    >>
    >> 2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC
    >> address of the RTV.
    >>
    >> 3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).
    >>
    >> 4. Unplugged RTV for a while.
    >>
    >> 5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.
    >>
    >> As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from
    >> the network. So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but
    >> changed (3) to the same static IP that the router is set to give it.
    >> Same thing happens. It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.
    >>
    >> The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't
    >> appear that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the
    >> length of the lease is, but that seems awfully short.
    >>
    >> I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router
    >> completely just to see what would happen. I can't keep it that way,
    >> but it might be worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1
    >> year old in the house and finding time that I can do anything is
    >> impossible. I get to try one experiment a day, it seems.
    >>
    >> thanks again for the help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
    >> PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
    >> Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex
    >> containers.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  46. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 06:37:57 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >BruceR wrote:
    >> Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
    >> that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
    >> Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
    >> don't need to set the address reservation.
    >
    >Yes, you do. Upon a restart the hw may request an ip which the server
    >will assign which will then be different than the static one set. This
    >scenario almost guarantees a problem will sometimes occur.

    Yes it does. I verified that by turning my Replays off, rebooting the
    router, and then rebooting the Replays (both set for static IP). There
    were still 2 entries in the DHCP table (assigned addresses). The MAC
    addresses matched those on the Replays.

    The static DHCP server program I found at
    http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm works.

    >> The RTV should connect and
    >> use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
    >> list which is only for DHCP.
    >> Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
    >> was your problem, it should be fixed.
    >>
    >> From:Larry Moss
    >> moss@airigami.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  47. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:13:40 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >BruceR wrote:
    >> In fact, the router (at least my Netgear MR814) won't allow an address
    >> reservation to be set for a non-DHCP address. How do you do it? As long
    >> as a static address has been defined in the RTV and that range is above
    >> the DHCP range in the router, I've found that it works 100%. The RTV
    >> will only request the static IP you've selected if you've set it up as
    >> static rather than DHCP.
    >>
    >I use static in the DHCP range with a reserved ip in the router. You
    >seem to think there is some "theory" involved here. There is none. It is
    >a documented fact. The hardware and the VXWorks operating system can get
    >2 different ip addresses. If you use DHCP ONLY unless you have a long
    >lease time, you'll get different ips.

    I turned off the DHCP in my router and used the program at
    http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm . It creates a list of
    MAC addresses and always assigns the same IP to that MAC.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  48. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Larry Moss wrote:

    > The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't appear
    > that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
    > lease is, but that seems awfully short.

    With Fixed, static or reserved IP addressing (Yet another name for it)
    Lease time is meaningless... Or if you like, infinate

    That IP will be reserved, or assigned to, that MAC every time for ever
    or till you change it whichever comes first
  49. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:26:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Larry Moss wrote:
    >
    >> The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't appear
    >> that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
    >> lease is, but that seems awfully short.
    >
    >With Fixed, static or reserved IP addressing (Yet another name for it)
    >Lease time is meaningless... Or if you like, infinate
    >
    >That IP will be reserved, or assigned to, that MAC every time for ever
    >or till you change it whichever comes first

    Mine (with that program I'm talking about, at
    http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm) say they last until
    2038. I probably won't have any of the same devices then, but it would
    renew to the same IPs.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Ptv Replaytv Video ReplayTV