Pioneer CLD-99 Vs CLD-79

How much difference is there between these two units? The features seem to
be very much alike, but the price differential is mighty.
4 answers Last reply
More about pioneer cld cld

    "Bernie Woodham" <birnhamwood@insightbb.com> wrote...
    > How much difference is there between these two units? The features seem to
    > be very much alike, but the price differential is mighty.

    For the most part, the CLD-79 is cheaper because it has only a 3-line
    comb filter for s-video output. Whereas the CLD-99 is more expensive
    because it has a first-generation 3-D comb filter for s-video output.

    My guess is that both will look the same (or at the very least, very
    similar) from the composite output, but I will defer this assessment
    to the experts of a.v.l. Josh? Kurtis? Kevin? Thad?

    -Junior

    "Bernie Woodham" <birnhamwood@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > How much difference is there between these two units? The features
    > seem to be very much alike, but the price differential is mighty.

    Using composite video output, they're basically the same. Using S-video,
    the 99 has a better 3D comb filter while the 79 only has a 3-line
    filter.

    If you have a modern HDTV set, there is a good chance it may have a
    better 3D filter than the 99, so you're might as well get the 79 (or the
    CLD-D704, which is the same thing) and use the composite cable.

    I did do an A/B comparison between a Faroudja LD1000(Elite 99 clone) and
    an Elite 79.
    I used the CAV War of the Worlds, I had two copies and just went back
    and forth with my A/B switcher to compare.
    With that 3D filter, you could see a difference in the background
    noise. It was smoother with the 3D filter. The texture was smoother and
    there less noise in the picture also.
    Between the two players, the Faroudja LD1000(Elite 99) had a slightly
    more pleasing picture. Worth the extra cash? Probably only to a
    perfectionist!
    Kevin.

    I agree with the others. The only advantage to the 99 over the 79 or 704 is
    if you use the S-Video output which uses the 3D Adaptive filter. If you
    have a decent HDTV the filter in it should be as good as the one in the 99
    you loose the 99's advantage.

    In my opinion, unless you want the Elite finish of the 79, save money and
    get the 704.

    Kurtis

    "Bernie Woodham" <birnhamwood@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > How much difference is there between these two units? The features seem
    > be very much alike, but the price differential is mighty.

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Video