    5500 series and haven't indicated that they are done.

    From:F. C.
    fc@nospam.com

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >What makes you think that that might happen? They currently have the
    >5500 series and haven't indicated that they are done.

    That's kind of it - the 5000/5500 is getting a bit long in the tooth,
    the design is two years old with no changes. Normally HW gets are
    least a manufacturing spin to save costs and use newer, and cheaper,
    components in that kind of time span. Over the same period TiVo has
    done at least two refreshes on the basic Series2 design, including the
    recent jump from 2* (black) to 5* (silver) boxes - which is a
    basically all new physical box, inside and out. Not to mention the
    DVD and DVD-RW units, and the DirecTV HDTV unit. DNNA took over in
    May 2003 - since then there has been no new RTV HW and very little
    change to the SW. Also no new licensees, and previously talked about
    development efforts, like integrated DVD units, thin clients for
    streaming, etc, were dropped.

    DNNA has indicated they are willing to let the standalone PVR products
    wither. When they took over they dropped work on things like MP3
    support and USB WiFi adapter support, and they also dropped any work
    on HW updates to the products. They've also failed to expand their
    retail presence, or do any noticable marketing for ReplayTV since last
    holiday season.

    Instead DNNA is focusing on the integrated media server market. It is
    a smaller market, but the margins are much larger. You're talking
    about units that sell for several thousand dollars. They already have
    products that integrate CD, DVD, and digital music playback under
    Escient. Many RTV engineers were moved to Escient to integrate PVR
    functionality in their products as well. Products will also appear as
    Denon and Marantz units. Such as the Denon NS-S100 shown at CES2004:
    http://www.g4techtv.com/freshgear/features/46850/Best_of_CES_2004_Winner_Best_of_Show.html?

    Take a look at the press releases from DNNA relating to RTV. So far
    there has been *one* for all of 2004 - announcing a rebate program in
    July. Since DNNA took over there have only been 4 releases.

    DNNA is an upscale company, the standalone PVR market just isn't what
    they're after. And it is starting to get crowded, with cable box DVRs
    spreading. Even TiVo has said the future is in multi-purpose,
    integrated systems like DVD recorders and in providing more than just
    PVR functionality - which is why they bought Strangeberry.

    DNNA will probably keep selling 5500 series ReplayTV units as long as
    they make money on them. But it doesn't look like there will be a
    follow-on.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    I see your point. I guess that without Show Sharing and Commercial
    Advance there isn't much to distinguish them from Tivo.

    From:MegaZone
    newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:09:05 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >I see your point. I guess that without Show Sharing and Commercial
    >Advance there isn't much to distinguish them from Tivo.

    There is the ability to copy shows to computer.

    >From:MegaZone
    >newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    >
    >> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>> What makes you think that that might happen? They currently have the
    >>> 5500 series and haven't indicated that they are done.
    >>
    >> That's kind of it - the 5000/5500 is getting a bit long in the tooth,

    [snip]

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    BruceR wrote:
    > I see your point. I guess that without Show Sharing and Commercial
    > Advance there isn't much to distinguish them from Tivo.

    1) Navigation and streaming are vastly superior in Replays. How anybody
    can sit there tapping 30 sec skip or FF is beyond me. Think of it as a
    few hundred extra remote presses a week.

    2) The decoder in the 5k also provides better picture quality.

    3) Hard drives are easily upgraded and huge drives are supported.

    4) You can remotely control and watch Replays rom each other and the web
    interface allows you to access all the machines in the house via the web.

    With more sophisticated users and multiple unit installations Replay is
    the only way to go. PC Mag made Replay a top choice for these reasons.
    Bear in mind many of the Tivo features that mimic Replay are
    "announcements".

    If you don't use any of the cool features or want a gift for your
    electronics challenged aunt, Tivo should work fine.

Ptv Replaytv Products Video ReplayTV