IVS problems since WinXP SP2 upgrade

I've been having problems receiving movies since upgrading to Win XP
Pro SP2. I checked the Windows firewall settings and added Port 11111.
I also went into my SMC2804WBR and in the NAT area added the same
port. Any suggestions? I've included some additional info.

I tried checking my ID at http://www.lhaven.net/ivstest/
and received the following info:

Asked ReplayTV server about unit at ISN 00004-54831-60130.
Found on Replay server.
The IP for your ReplayTV is 68.98.8.xxx (changed for security)
The Port for your ReplayTV is 11111
Unable to contact ReplayTV unit.
500 Can't connect to 68.98.8.xxx:11111 (connect: Connection refused)
Check your port forwarding settings.

Per Router/AP
INTERNET
Cable/DSL: CONNECTED
WAN IP: 68.98.8.xxx
Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
Gateway: 68.98.0.x
Primary DNS: 68.2.16.xx
Secondary DNS: 68.2.16.xx

GATEWAY
IP Address: 192.168.2.x
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Firewall: Enabled
UPnP: Disabled
Wireless: Enabled

INFORMATION
Numbers of DHCP Clients: 4
Runtime Code Version:
1.11a (Dec 11 2003 14:58:14)
Boot Code Version: V1.3B
Hardware Version: 01

ip=192.168.2.xx1 name=Dell96N7231
ip=192.168.2.xx2 (ReplayTV)
ip=192.168.2.xx3 name=cx2337280-a
ip=192.168.2.xx4 name=MARKCHAN
8 answers Last reply
More about ivs problems winxp sp2 upgrade

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:21:46 -0700, Arawak <fake_address@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I've been having problems receiving movies since upgrading to Win XP
    >Pro SP2.

    Which will make no difference (unless it's causing excessive network
    activity, check for that), since IVS does not involve any of your
    computers. Just the Replay and the router. What else did you do when
    you upgraded to XP?

    > I checked the Windows firewall settings and added Port 11111.

    Why? See above. You could also try it with that computer(s) running XP
    turned off.

    >I also went into my SMC2804WBR and in the NAT area added the same
    >port.

    Is that the port your Replay uses for IVS?

    >Any suggestions? I've included some additional info.
    >
    >I tried checking my ID at http://www.lhaven.net/ivstest/
    >and received the following info:
    >
    >Asked ReplayTV server about unit at ISN 00004-54831-60130.
    >Found on Replay server.
    >The IP for your ReplayTV is 68.98.8.xxx (changed for security)
    >The Port for your ReplayTV is 11111
    >Unable to contact ReplayTV unit.
    >500 Can't connect to 68.98.8.xxx:11111 (connect: Connection refused)
    >Check your port forwarding settings.

    First, I'd check my Replay directly. I use.

    http://66.76.26.153:29000/ivs-IVSGetUnitInfo

    This also tests the port forwarding on your router. Replace
    "66.76.26.153" with your public IP** and "29000" with the IVS port set
    on your Replay. You should get a page that looks like:

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <UnitInfo isn="00004-54831-60130" nickname="Something" />

    And identifies your Replay.

    >Per Router/AP
    >INTERNET
    >Cable/DSL: CONNECTED
    >WAN IP: 68.98.8.xxx
    >Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    >Gateway: 68.98.0.x
    >Primary DNS: 68.2.16.xx
    >Secondary DNS: 68.2.16.xx
    >
    >GATEWAY
    >IP Address: 192.168.2.x
    >Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    >DHCP Server: Enabled
    >Firewall: Enabled
    >UPnP: Disabled
    >Wireless: Enabled
    >
    >INFORMATION
    >Numbers of DHCP Clients: 4
    >Runtime Code Version:
    > 1.11a (Dec 11 2003 14:58:14)
    >Boot Code Version: V1.3B
    >Hardware Version: 01
    >
    >ip=192.168.2.xx1 name=Dell96N7231
    >ip=192.168.2.xx2 (ReplayTV)
    >ip=192.168.2.xx3 name=cx2337280-a
    >ip=192.168.2.xx4 name=MARKCHAN

    There would be no harm in giving the complete local IPs. Local IPs are
    not accessible from the internet anyway. The "xx" is hiding whether or
    not you are using a unique IP for the router. A conflict would cause
    problems.

    A firewall on the computer* will have no effect on IVS, which is not
    going through your computer.

    &&

    * - I would definately NOT trust a firewall that's part of XP. MS has
    put in all the holes it wants, making that firewall close to useless.
    However, it can't be the cause of your Replay problem.

    ** - If your router does not support "loopback" you'll need to use the
    local IP of your Replay. Try both.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Since the connection is independent of the PC SP2 shouldn't cause any
    problems. I have SP2 and have had no problems with the RTVs or
    DVArchive.

    From:Arawak
    fake_address@hotmail.com

    Arawak wrote:

    > I've been having problems receiving movies since upgrading to Win XP
    > Pro SP2. I checked the Windows firewall settings and added Port 11111.
    > I also went into my SMC2804WBR and in the NAT area added the same
    > port. Any suggestions? I've included some additional info.

    I can't help with your problem but I have a question of my own

    How do you determine either your Replay ISN (internet serial number)
    or the ID that the video sharing web site wants?

    Thanks in advance

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:20:34 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Arawak wrote:
    >
    >> I've been having problems receiving movies since upgrading to Win XP
    >> Pro SP2. I checked the Windows firewall settings and added Port 11111.
    >> I also went into my SMC2804WBR and in the NAT area added the same
    >> port. Any suggestions? I've included some additional info.

    Note that the firewall on the computer has nothing to do with IVS.

    >I can't help with your problem but I have a question of my own
    >
    >How do you determine either your Replay ISN (internet serial number)
    >or the ID that the video sharing web site wants?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    It's easily findable in the "Setup" menu of the Replay. Select "System
    Information" and then "Video Sharing". The number you want is in the
    form "00004-xxxxx-xxxxx" on a 5xxx Replay ("00055-xxxxx-xxxxx" on a
    4xxx). The port number (that you'll need forwarded to the Replay, but
    don't need to give out) is listed there too.

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:20:34 GMT, John in Detroit
    > <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Arawak wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've been having problems receiving movies since upgrading to Win XP
    >>>Pro SP2. I checked the Windows firewall settings and added Port 11111.
    >>>I also went into my SMC2804WBR and in the NAT area added the same
    >>>port. Any suggestions? I've included some additional info.
    >>

    > Note that the firewall on the computer has nothing to do with IVS.
    >

    >>I can't help with your problem but I have a question of my own
    >>
    >>How do you determine either your Replay ISN (internet serial number)
    >>or the ID that the video sharing web site wants?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >

    > It's easily findable in the "Setup" menu of the Replay. Select "System
    > Information" and then "Video Sharing". The number you want is in the
    > form "00004-xxxxx-xxxxx" on a 5xxx Replay ("00055-xxxxx-xxxxx" on a
    > 4xxx). The port number (that you'll need forwarded to the Replay, but
    > don't need to give out) is listed there too.

    Thanks... It's not there, unit is a 5504 and apparently does not do that
    kind of sharing... Will have to spoof the server and "update" it it seems

    Or...... Does DVArchive have the ability to do that task? (checked the
    faqs, no help there) if DV-Archive can do it I have a spare computer I
    might be able to set up as a video server.... In fact long term plan IS
    to set it up as a video server

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:21:30 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:20:34 GMT, John in Detroit
    >> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >> Note that the firewall on the computer has nothing to do with IVS.
    >>

    >>>I can't help with your problem but I have a question of my own
    >>>
    >>>How do you determine either your Replay ISN (internet serial number)
    >>>or the ID that the video sharing web site wants?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>

    >> It's easily findable in the "Setup" menu of the Replay. Select "System
    >> Information" and then "Video Sharing". The number you want is in the
    >> form "00004-xxxxx-xxxxx" on a 5xxx Replay ("00055-xxxxx-xxxxx" on a
    >> 4xxx). The port number (that you'll need forwarded to the Replay, but
    >> don't need to give out) is listed there too.
    >>
    >Thanks... It's not there, unit is a 5504 and apparently does not do that
    >kind of sharing... Will have to spoof the server and "update" it it seems

    Right. The 55xx don't have that feature. Are you talking about using
    5xxx software to get it? Then you should get the information display
    too.

    Also, for my 5080, I can access it this way to the the number:

    http://66.76.26.153:29000/ivs-IVSGetUnitInfo

    Replace "66.76.26.153" with your public IP (or private IP if
    necessary) and replace "29000" with the Replay's IVS port (it should
    default to 29000 if you haven't changed it).

    >Or...... Does DVArchive have the ability to do that task? (checked the
    >faqs, no help there) if DV-Archive can do it I have a spare computer I
    >might be able to set up as a video server.... In fact long term plan IS
    >to set it up as a video server.

    DVA can be made accessible over the internet with the proper use of
    port forwarding, but you may not want to do it. Accessing it from
    another Replay requires DVA to use port 80, which is commonly used for
    viruses, worms, and other nasty stuff. It's also blocked by many ISPs.
    You could use a FTP server using the same directory DVA saves the
    shows to (there's problems setting it up behind a router, but it's
    doable).

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > DVA can be made accessible over the internet with the proper use of
    > port forwarding, but you may not want to do it. Accessing it from
    > another Replay requires DVA to use port 80, which is commonly used for
    > viruses, worms, and other nasty stuff. It's also blocked by many ISPs.
    > You could use a FTP server using the same directory DVA saves the
    > shows to (there's problems setting it up behind a router, but it's
    > doable).

    Sounds like a possibility then... Long term, this is the plan... Set up
    a LINUX box with decent protection and perhaps some heavy duty
    passwording and use it to download a replay TV unit and make it
    accessible to the net (in precisely the manner you site FTP)

    I have the linux machine now and am working on getting things to work on
    it, the going is slow though as... Well, I'm kind of new to the linux
    field.. I"ve played in a few client accounts (all mine) over the years
    but never done any "root" stuff before

    John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

    > Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> DVA can be made accessible over the internet with the proper use of
    >> port forwarding, but you may not want to do it. Accessing it from
    >> another Replay requires DVA to use port 80, which is commonly used
    >> for viruses, worms, and other nasty stuff. It's also blocked by many
    >> ISPs. You could use a FTP server using the same directory DVA saves
    >> the shows to (there's problems setting it up behind a router, but
    >> it's doable).
    >>

    > Sounds like a possibility then... Long term, this is the plan... Set
    > up a LINUX box with decent protection and perhaps some heavy duty
    > passwording and use it to download a replay TV unit and make it
    > accessible to the net (in precisely the manner you site FTP)
    >
    > I have the linux machine now and am working on getting things to work
    > on it, the going is slow though as... Well, I'm kind of new to the
    > linux field.. I"ve played in a few client accounts (all mine) over the
    > years but never done any "root" stuff before

    You can easily run DVA on your home network over port 80 and it will
    happily talk to your RTV (even with XP SP2). Then on your
    router/firewall define the public port as something different, say
    55002 and forward it to your DVA box on port TCP 80.

    Note there is no security doing this, but then anyone using DVA on
    another computer can interact with your private DVA.

    I do this from work and occasionally send a show (copy/move) to work to
    watch during breaks.

Ptv Replaytv IP ReplayTV