Just a note for future google groups searches...

I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to connect
to Replay's servers.

I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router and
such, but nothing worked.
Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.

On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
fine...

Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...

Search Words:
ReplayTV Network Error Setup
69 answers Last reply
More about note future google groups searches

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:58:30 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    >Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to connect
    >to Replay's servers.
    >
    >I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router and
    >such, but nothing worked.
    >Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    >
    >On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    >fine...
    >
    >Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    >
    >Search Words:
    >ReplayTV Network Error Setup

    That's what happened with the new 55xx I got about a week ago (except
    I never tried the port forwarding / DMZ thing, that would be
    irrelevant).

    What are those "Search Words" about?

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    CheezWiz wrote:
    > I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    > Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to connect
    > to Replay's servers.
    >
    > I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router and
    > such, but nothing worked.
    > Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    >
    > On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    > fine...
    >
    > Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    >
    > Search Words:
    > ReplayTV Network Error Setup

    There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    addresses, creating weird problems. Replays are best set to fixed IP
    addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should be
    set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    of the Replay always have the same address.

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:35:49 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >CheezWiz wrote:
    >> I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    >> Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to connect
    >> to Replay's servers.
    >>
    >> I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router and
    >> such, but nothing worked.
    >> Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    >>
    >> On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    >> fine...
    >>
    >> Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    >>
    >> Search Words:
    >> ReplayTV Network Error Setup
    >>

    >There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    >addresses, creating weird problems.

    My first ethernet-connectable Replay was a 5080 I got about a year and
    a half ago. It initialized properly the first time. So did the second
    one (a 5060). Only the third (5504) had the problem.

    > Replays are best set to fixed IP

    True, at least when you're using IVS or DVArchive.

    >addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should be
    >set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    >of the Replay always have the same address.

    Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?

    Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    > What are those "Search Words" about?

    Read the title of the post

    > That's what happened with the new 55xx I got about a week ago (except
    > I never tried the port forwarding / DMZ thing, that would be
    > irrelevant).

    That is what I knew to be true as well, but Replays Web site mentions making
    sure particular ports are open on a firewall, so it could not hurt in a
    methodical approach to troubleshooting...

    CW

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:58:30 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    > >Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to
    connect
    > >to Replay's servers.
    > >
    > >I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router
    and
    > >such, but nothing worked.
    > >Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    > >
    > >On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    > >fine...
    > >
    > >Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    > >
    > >Search Words:
    > >ReplayTV Network Error Setup
    > >

    > That's what happened with the new 55xx I got about a week ago (except
    > I never tried the port forwarding / DMZ thing, that would be
    > irrelevant).
    >
    > What are those "Search Words" about?
    >

    > --
    > 87 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    That sounds a bit crazy... but I never doubt anything when computers are
    involved.

    My boxes are working fine in pure DHCP after the reboot. Setting them to
    static IP's did not fix the problem I mentioned. Only a reboot got them
    working...

    CW
    "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > CheezWiz wrote:
    > > I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    > > Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to
    connect
    > > to Replay's servers.
    > >
    > > I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router
    and
    > > such, but nothing worked.
    > > Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    > >
    > > On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    > > fine...
    > >
    > > Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    > >
    > > Search Words:
    > > ReplayTV Network Error Setup
    > >

    > There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    > addresses, creating weird problems. Replays are best set to fixed IP
    > addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should be
    > set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    > of the Replay always have the same address.

    My D-Link router allows "Static DHCP" so that a particular MAC always gets
    the same IP.

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:35:49 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >CheezWiz wrote:
    > >> I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    > >> Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to
    connect
    > >> to Replay's servers.
    > >>
    > >> I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the
    router and
    > >> such, but nothing worked.
    > >> Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    > >>
    > >> On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    > >> fine...
    > >>
    > >> Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    > >>
    > >> Search Words:
    > >> ReplayTV Network Error Setup
    > >>

    > >There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    > >addresses, creating weird problems.
    >
    > My first ethernet-connectable Replay was a 5080 I got about a year and
    > a half ago. It initialized properly the first time. So did the second
    > one (a 5060). Only the third (5504) had the problem.
    >
    > > Replays are best set to fixed IP
    >
    > True, at least when you're using IVS or DVArchive.
    >
    > >addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should be
    > >set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    > >of the Replay always have the same address.
    >
    > Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    > give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    > acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?
    >
    > Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    > HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?
    >
    > --
    > 87 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I run all mine with DHCP but use the "address reservation" feature in
    the Netgear router. That feature allows you to always associate a
    particular IP address to a particular MAC address. I had the same
    problem with the 5th unit I installed but a quick reboot solved it.
    After running the initial setup I always do a reboot anyway to ensure
    that the new settings are working.

    CheezWiz wrote:
    > That sounds a bit crazy... but I never doubt anything when computers are
    > involved.
    >
    > My boxes are working fine in pure DHCP after the reboot. Setting them to
    > static IP's did not fix the problem I mentioned. Only a reboot got them
    > working...
    >
    > CW

    Eventually a lease will expire or you'll get an odd reboot and you will
    be able to net connect but not stream or vice vs. If you use DHCP,
    extend the lease time to the max.

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:40:24 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >> What are those "Search Words" about?
    >
    >Read the title of the post

    You could have put some explation here. It's important to know the
    right words. Have you tried them, and what results did you get?

    >> That's what happened with the new 55xx I got about a week ago (except
    >> I never tried the port forwarding / DMZ thing, that would be
    >> irrelevant).
    >>

    >That is what I knew to be true as well, but Replays Web site mentions making
    >sure particular ports are open on a firewall, so it could not hurt in a
    >methodical approach to troubleshooting...

    In most cases, you will be going through a hardware router, not a
    software firewall. These don't require "opening" ports, except
    something for INCOMING ports (the 55xx doesn't accept incoming
    internet connections). It does accept some connections from your LAN,
    but these don't go through the router.

    Those instructions are unnecessarily confusing.

    >CW
    >
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:58:30 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    >> >Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to
    >connect
    >> >to Replay's servers.
    >> >
    >> >I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router
    >and
    >> >such, but nothing worked.
    >> >Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    >> >
    >> >On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    >> >fine...
    >> >
    >> >Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    >> >
    >> >Search Words:
    >> >ReplayTV Network Error Setup
    >> >

    >> That's what happened with the new 55xx I got about a week ago (except
    >> I never tried the port forwarding / DMZ thing, that would be
    >> irrelevant).
    >>
    >> What are those "Search Words" about?
    >>

    >> --
    >> 87 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:44:46 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >My D-Link router allows "Static DHCP" so that a particular MAC always gets
    >the same IP.

    What model? That would be a nice feature to have? Could you link to a
    data sheet or manual?

    >CW
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >connect

    >router and

    >> >There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    >> >addresses, creating weird problems.
    >>
    >> My first ethernet-connectable Replay was a 5080 I got about a year and
    >> a half ago. It initialized properly the first time. So did the second
    >> one (a 5060). Only the third (5504) had the problem.
    >>
    >> > Replays are best set to fixed IP
    >>
    >> True, at least when you're using IVS or DVArchive.
    >>
    >> >addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should be
    >> >set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    >> >of the Replay always have the same address.
    >>
    >> Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    >> give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    >> acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?
    >>
    >> Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    >> HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?
    >>
    >> --
    >> 87 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:58:08 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >I run all mine with DHCP but use the "address reservation" feature in
    >the Netgear router. That feature allows you to always associate a
    >particular IP address to a particular MAC address. I had the same
    >problem with the 5th unit I installed but a quick reboot solved it.
    >After running the initial setup I always do a reboot anyway to ensure
    >that the new settings are working.

    Good idea. Of course, this problem requires a reboot BEFORE doing
    initial setup as well.

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>>There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    >>>addresses, creating weird problems.
    >>
    >> My first ethernet-connectable Replay was a 5080 I got about a year and
    >> a half ago. It initialized properly the first time. So did the second
    >> one (a 5060). Only the third (5504) had the problem.
    >>
    >>> Replays are best set to fixed IP
    >>
    >> True, at least when you're using IVS or DVArchive.
    >>
    >>>addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should
    >>>be
    >>>set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    >>>of the Replay always have the same address.
    >>
    >> Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    >> give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    >> acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?
    >>
    >> Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    >> HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?
    >>
    >> --
    >> 87 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:43:17 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >That sounds a bit crazy... but I never doubt anything when computers are
    >involved.
    >
    >My boxes are working fine in pure DHCP after the reboot. Setting them to
    >static IP's did not fix the problem I mentioned.

    It won't. But it does fix other problems, such as when you use
    DVArchive.

    > Only a reboot got them
    >working...
    >
    >CW
    >"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> CheezWiz wrote:
    >> > I just setup two 55xx series boxes at my house.
    >> > Both boxes pulled an IP address from the router, but then failed to
    >connect
    >> > to Replay's servers.
    >> >
    >> > I wrestled with the first box for 30 mins. making it a DMZ in the router
    >and
    >> > such, but nothing worked.
    >> > Rebooted the box, it detected the network and worked fine.
    >> >
    >> > On the second box, exact same problem. This time, rebooted and all went
    >> > fine...
    >> >
    >> > Some sort of bug, but I got them working fine...
    >> >
    >> > Search Words:
    >> > ReplayTV Network Error Setup
    >> >

    >> There is a well known bug where the OS and hardware get different IP
    >> addresses, creating weird problems. Replays are best set to fixed IP
    >> addresses on a network that has a DHCP server and that server should be
    >> set for reserved ip addresses for the Replays. This insures both parts
    >> of the Replay always have the same address.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    > Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    > give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    > acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?

    Most routers that have a DHCP function also support reserved address
    assignment. Obviously I cannot say EVERY router does, but the majority
    of models from D-Link, SMC, LinkSys, and others have all had this
    feature.

    You enter the MAC address and the matching/assigned IP address - then
    leave DHCP configured on your clients (I still prefer hard-coding it on
    the RTV in case I have a disconnected cable I require fewer reboots on
    the RTV). YMMV

    > Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    > HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?

    You can find you mac address in your routers logs, watch for the ip
    address request/assignment. Or on your RTV itself, without ever being
    on the "wire". Try 411-zones
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:24:39 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >>
    >> Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    >> give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    >> acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?
    >
    >Most routers that have a DHCP function also support reserved address
    >assignment. Obviously I cannot say EVERY router does, but the majority
    >of models from D-Link, SMC, LinkSys, and others have all had this
    >feature.

    I have used 2 Linksys models and never found such a feature. Do you
    know which models have it?

    >You enter the MAC address and the matching/assigned IP address - then
    >leave DHCP configured on your clients (I still prefer hard-coding it on
    >the RTV in case I have a disconnected cable I require fewer reboots on
    >the RTV). YMMV
    >
    >> Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    >> HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?
    >>

    >You can find you mac address in your routers logs, watch for the ip
    >address request/assignment.

    That could work.

    > Or on your RTV itself, without ever being
    >on the "wire". Try 411-zones

    The newer Replays also show this in the "setup" menu. How do you get
    past the setup screens that appear when you first connect a Replay?

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:07:48 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >>My boxes are working fine in pure DHCP after the reboot. Setting them to
    >>static IP's did not fix the problem I mentioned.
    >
    >It won't. But it does fix other problems, such as when you use
    >DVArchive.

    Thanks for the tip, Mark. I've been having a problem with my 5160 and
    DVArchive which may be helped with this. I can get to my Replay in
    DVArchive, can reboot my PC and still see the Replay, but the next day
    I can't see the Replay. Only rebooting the Replay solves the problem.
    I'm using DHCP, but I think I'll try your suggestion of a static IP.

    John
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:49:58 GMT, falsedawn2@hotmail.com wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:07:48 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    ><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >

    >>>My boxes are working fine in pure DHCP after the reboot. Setting them to
    >>>static IP's did not fix the problem I mentioned.
    >>
    >>It won't. But it does fix other problems, such as when you use
    >>DVArchive.
    >>
    >Thanks for the tip, Mark. I've been having a problem with my 5160 and
    >DVArchive which may be helped with this. I can get to my Replay in
    >DVArchive, can reboot my PC and still see the Replay, but the next day
    >I can't see the Replay. Only rebooting the Replay solves the problem.
    >I'm using DHCP, but I think I'll try your suggestion of a static IP.
    >
    >John

    That reminds me of the trouble I had with the Replays (DVA, and the
    IVS that worked on the earlier 5xxx models). It used to work OK, but
    some Replay software introduced a bug that caused the Replay (using
    dynamic IP) to change IPs about twice a week, causing these problems
    (strange that the PCs themselves would keep the same IP). That's why I
    changed to static IP (got tired of fixing things all the time).

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    It appears that the Replays use UPNP to find each other. Perhaps that is the
    problem so many are having?
    Each time I start DVArchive, logs.. "New UPNP device detected.." yada yada
    yada...

    If it uses UPNP, then IP is irrelevant.

    What is supposed to not work in pure DHCP?
    I will set my lease to expire every hour to find out what you are talking
    about...

    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:49:58 GMT, falsedawn2@hotmail.com wrote:

    > >>It won't. But it does fix other problems, such as when you use
    > >>DVArchive.
    > >>
    > >Thanks for the tip, Mark. I've been having a problem with my 5160 and
    > >DVArchive which may be helped with this. I can get to my Replay in
    > >DVArchive, can reboot my PC and still see the Replay, but the next day
    > >I can't see the Replay. Only rebooting the Replay solves the problem.
    > >I'm using DHCP, but I think I'll try your suggestion of a static IP.
    > >
    > >John
    >
    > That reminds me of the trouble I had with the Replays (DVA, and the
    > IVS that worked on the earlier 5xxx models). It used to work OK, but
    > some Replay software introduced a bug that caused the Replay (using
    > dynamic IP) to change IPs about twice a week, causing these problems
    > (strange that the PCs themselves would keep the same IP). That's why I
    > changed to static IP (got tired of fixing things all the time).
    >
    > --
    > 86 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    DI-624
    "Static DHCP
    Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to
    specific MAC address"

    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:44:46 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My D-Link router allows "Static DHCP" so that a particular MAC always
    gets
    > >the same IP.
    > >

    > What model? That would be a nice feature to have? Could you link to a
    > data sheet or manual?
    >
    > >CW
    > >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    > >connect

    > >router and

    > >> My first ethernet-connectable Replay was a 5080 I got about a year and
    > >> a half ago. It initialized properly the first time. So did the second
    > >> one (a 5060). Only the third (5504) had the problem.

    > >> True, at least when you're using IVS or DVArchive.

    > >> Do you know of any routers that allow that feature (set DHCP server to
    > >> give specific IP to specific client)? If not, how about software that
    > >> acts as a DHCP server, instead of the one in the router?
    > >>
    > >> Anyway, how are you determining the MAC address of a Replay THAT
    > >> HASN'T BEEN INITIALIZED?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> 87 days until the winter solstice celebration
    > >>
    > >> Mark Lloyd
    > >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    > >

    > --
    > 86 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    CheezWiz wrote:
    > It appears that the Replays use UPNP to find each other. Perhaps that is the
    > problem so many are having?
    > Each time I start DVArchive, logs.. "New UPNP device detected.." yada yada
    > yada...
    >
    > If it uses UPNP, then IP is irrelevant.
    >
    > What is supposed to not work in pure DHCP?
    > I will set my lease to expire every hour to find out what you are talking
    > about...

    As I've already posted, the OS and the hardware wind up with different
    ip addresses.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:18:19 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >CheezWiz wrote:
    >> It appears that the Replays use UPNP to find each other. Perhaps that is the
    >> problem so many are having?
    >> Each time I start DVArchive, logs.. "New UPNP device detected.." yada yada
    >> yada...
    >>
    >> If it uses UPNP, then IP is irrelevant.
    >>
    >> What is supposed to not work in pure DHCP?
    >> I will set my lease to expire every hour to find out what you are talking
    >> about...
    >>

    >As I've already posted, the OS and the hardware wind up with different
    >ip addresses.

    I haven't SEEN a problem with that, but it might be what's causing the
    network part of one of my Replays to fail about once a week (it still
    records and plays locally).

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:24:12 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >DI-624
    >"Static DHCP
    > Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to
    >specific MAC address"

    Thanks for the information.

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:44:46 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >My D-Link router allows "Static DHCP" so that a particular MAC always
    >gets
    >> >the same IP.
    >> >

    >> What model? That would be a nice feature to have? Could you link to a
    >> data sheet or manual?
    >>
    >> >CW
    >> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >> >connect

    >> >router and

    >went

    >be

    >> --
    >> 86 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:24:12 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>DI-624
    >>"Static DHCP
    >> Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to
    >>specific MAC address"
    >>

    >Thanks for the information.

    However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.

    A web search for "static DHCP" did find
    http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

    >>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>gets
    >>> >

    >>> What model? That would be a nice feature to have? Could you link to a
    >>> data sheet or manual?

    >>went

    >>be

    >>> --
    >>> 86 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>>
    >>> Mark Lloyd
    >>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>CheezWiz wrote:
    >>
    >>>It appears that the Replays use UPNP to find each other. Perhaps that is the
    >>>problem so many are having?
    >>>Each time I start DVArchive, logs.. "New UPNP device detected.." yada yada
    >>>yada...
    >>>
    >>>If it uses UPNP, then IP is irrelevant.
    >>>
    >>>What is supposed to not work in pure DHCP?
    >>>I will set my lease to expire every hour to find out what you are talking
    >>>about...
    >>>

    >>As I've already posted, the OS and the hardware wind up with different
    >>ip addresses.
    >

    > I haven't SEEN a problem with that, but it might be what's causing the
    > network part of one of my Replays to fail about once a week (it still
    > records and plays locally).

    The only way you see it is by watching logs of the replay talking with
    the router or when it causes a problem. It is well known and I don't
    recall if it came with 5.1 or was even present in 5.0.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Hey Mark, why not post which routers you have and someone (if not me)
    will tell you how to navigate to that setting if it has it?

    You mentionedyou had three, that is a lot easier than others telling
    you a hundred different models which may not even be available anymore
    (my SMC is nearly 4 years old).

    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    ><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:24:12 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>DI-624
    >>>"Static DHCP
    >>> Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP
    >>> address to
    >>>specific MAC address"
    >>>

    >>Thanks for the information.
    >>

    > However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    > (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    > find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.
    >
    > A web search for "static DHCP" did find
    > http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

    >>>gets

  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:13:59 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >Hey Mark, why not post which routers you have and someone (if not me)
    >will tell you how to navigate to that setting if it has it?
    >
    >You mentionedyou had three, that is a lot easier than others telling
    >you a hundred different models which may not even be available anymore
    >(my SMC is nearly 4 years old).

    I never said I had 3. Maybe you read where I had checked the manuals
    for the different versions of the D-Link DI-624 on the D-Link website.

    The router I currently have is a Linksys BEFW11S24, which lacks
    "static DHCP". I may consider buying a new rourter, but wanted to
    confirm that it had that feature (or at least find a suitable web
    search string).

    I am trying the software mentioned previously. It seems to be working,
    but would still be more convenient to have a router that would do it.

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    >><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >>>Thanks for the information.
    >>>

    >> However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    >> (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    >> find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.
    >>
    >> A web search for "static DHCP" did find
    >> http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    It was not there when I first got the router, it was added by a later
    firmware update.
    It is an ADDED feature. Just like they keep adding feature to the RTV's that
    are not in the manual.

    CW
    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    > <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:24:12 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>DI-624
    > >>"Static DHCP
    > >> Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address
    > >>specific MAC address"
    > >>

    > >Thanks for the information.
    > >

    > However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    > (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    > find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.
    >
    > A web search for "static DHCP" did find
    > http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm
    >
    > >>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    > >>gets

    > >>went

    IP

    > >>be

    > --
    > 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  27. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:57:27 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >It was not there when I first got the router, it was added by a later
    >firmware update.
    >It is an ADDED feature. Just like they keep adding feature to the RTV's that
    >are not in the manual.

    I guess it must have been added since those manuals were written.
    Still do you have a link to documentation on it (even just a list of
    features added in different firmware versions).

    >CW
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    >> <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >> >Thanks for the information.
    >> >

    >> However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    >> (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    >> find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.
    >>
    >> A web search for "static DHCP" did find
    >> http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

    >the

    >all

    >IP

    >and
    >second

    >should
    >parts

    >that

    >> --
    >> 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  28. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    > <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:24:12 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>DI-624
    >>>"Static DHCP
    >>> Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to
    >>>specific MAC address"
    >>>

    >>Thanks for the information.
    >>

    > However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    > (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    > find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.

    I have D-Link's cheapest wireless router (DI-514 if I'm not mistaken)
    and it was very clear to me what Static DCHP was,,, I believe from the
    instructions on the DCHP page of the router's setup menus.

    Log into the router at 192.168.0.1, and from the main menu click on DHCP
    and it is explained there .. In fact, here is what it says, cut and pasted

    ===== start clip=====
    Static DHCP
    Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to
    specific MAC address.
    ===== end clip =====

    There, everything you need to know.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:02:36 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:47:05 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    >> <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >>>Thanks for the information.
    >>>

    >> However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    >> (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    >> find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.
    >
    >I have D-Link's cheapest wireless router (DI-514 if I'm not mistaken)
    >and it was very clear to me what Static DCHP was,,, I believe from the
    >instructions on the DCHP page of the router's setup menus.
    >
    >Log into the router at 192.168.0.1, and from the main menu click on DHCP
    >and it is explained there .. In fact, here is what it says, cut and pasted
    >
    >===== start clip=====
    >Static DHCP
    >Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to
    >specific MAC address.
    >===== end clip =====
    >
    >There, everything you need to know.

    "Static DHCP" wasn't in that manual either, but I did notice it
    mentioned in a description of the downloadable firmware.

    Thanks. I'll print out that manual to check on what other features it
    has, but probably won't be making any changes for a couple of weeks
    (to see how well that software I mentioned earlier works).

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  30. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    They have added a lot of stuff.
    The firmware has built-in help pages that explain everything:
    "
    DHCP Server
    DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Control Protocol. The DHCP server gives
    out IP addresses when a device is starting up and request an IP address to
    be logged on to the network. The device must be set as a DHCP client to
    "Obtain the IP address automatically". By default, the DHCP Server is
    enabled in the unit. The DHCP address pool contains the range of the IP
    address that will automatically be assigned to the clients on the network.
    Starting IP address - The starting IP address for the DHCP server's IP
    assignment.
    Ending IP address - The ending IP address for the DHCP server's IP
    assignment.
    Lease Time - The length of time for the IP lease.
    DHCP client computers connected to the unit will have their
    information displayed in the DHCP Client Table. The table will show the Host
    Name, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time of the DHCP lease for each
    client computer.

    Static DHCP
    Static DHCP allows the router to assign the same IP address
    information to a specific computer on the local network. The specified
    computer will get the same DHCP IP address information everytime it is
    turned on. No other computer on the local network will receive the specified
    static DHCP address except for the configured computer. Static DHCP is very
    helpful when used for server computers on the local network that are hosting
    applications such as Web and FTP.

    "
    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:57:27 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It was not there when I first got the router, it was added by a later
    > >firmware update.
    > >It is an ADDED feature. Just like they keep adding feature to the RTV's
    that
    > >are not in the manual.
    > >

    > I guess it must have been added since those manuals were written.
    > Still do you have a link to documentation on it (even just a list of
    > features added in different firmware versions).
    >
    > >CW
    > >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    > >> However, there seems to be no reference to this on the D-Link site
    > >> (even in the DI-624 manual. I checked all 3 versions). How did you
    > >> find out about it? Maybe it's a discontinued feature.
    > >>
    > >> A web search for "static DHCP" did find
    > >> http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

    > >the

    > >all

    > >IP

    > >and
    > >second

    > >should
    > >parts

    > >that

    > >> --
    > >> 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    > >>
    > >> Mark Lloyd
    > >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    > >

    > --
    > 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  31. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:29:13 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    wrote:

    >They have added a lot of stuff.
    >The firmware has built-in help pages that explain everything:
    >"
    > DHCP Server
    > DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Control Protocol. The DHCP server gives
    >out IP addresses when a device is starting up and request an IP address to
    >be logged on to the network. The device must be set as a DHCP client to
    >"Obtain the IP address automatically". By default, the DHCP Server is
    >enabled in the unit. The DHCP address pool contains the range of the IP
    >address that will automatically be assigned to the clients on the network.
    > Starting IP address - The starting IP address for the DHCP server's IP
    >assignment.
    > Ending IP address - The ending IP address for the DHCP server's IP
    >assignment.
    > Lease Time - The length of time for the IP lease.
    > DHCP client computers connected to the unit will have their
    >information displayed in the DHCP Client Table. The table will show the Host
    >Name, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time of the DHCP lease for each
    >client computer.
    >

    > Static DHCP
    > Static DHCP allows the router to assign the same IP address
    >information to a specific computer on the local network. The specified
    >computer will get the same DHCP IP address information everytime it is
    >turned on. No other computer on the local network will receive the specified
    >static DHCP address except for the configured computer. Static DHCP is very
    >helpful when used for server computers on the local network that are hosting
    >applications such as Web and FTP.
    >

    >"

    That's what I was looking for. I'm still looking in the manual to see
    how good this model is. I may buy one in a couple of weeks or so.

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:57:27 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It was not there when I first got the router, it was added by a later
    >> >firmware update.
    >> >It is an ADDED feature. Just like they keep adding feature to the RTV's
    >that
    >> >are not in the manual.
    >> >

    >> I guess it must have been added since those manuals were written.
    >> Still do you have a link to documentation on it (even just a list of
    >> features added in different firmware versions).
    >>
    >> >CW
    >> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >address

    >always

    >failed

    >> >the

    >and
    >> >all

    >different
    >> >IP

    >year
    >> >and
    >> >second

    >> >should
    >both
    >> >parts

    >server
    >> >that

    >> --
    >> 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  32. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:29:13 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>They have added a lot of stuff.
    >>The firmware has built-in help pages that explain everything:
    >>"
    >> DHCP Server
    >> DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Control Protocol. The DHCP server gives
    >>out IP addresses when a device is starting up and request an IP address to
    >>be logged on to the network. The device must be set as a DHCP client to
    >>"Obtain the IP address automatically". By default, the DHCP Server is
    >>enabled in the unit. The DHCP address pool contains the range of the IP
    >>address that will automatically be assigned to the clients on the network.
    >> Starting IP address - The starting IP address for the DHCP server's
    >> IP
    >>assignment.
    >> Ending IP address - The ending IP address for the DHCP server's IP
    >>assignment.
    >> Lease Time - The length of time for the IP lease.
    >> DHCP client computers connected to the unit will have their
    >>information displayed in the DHCP Client Table. The table will show the
    >>Host
    >>Name, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time of the DHCP lease for each
    >>client computer.
    >>

    >> Static DHCP
    >> Static DHCP allows the router to assign the same IP address
    >>information to a specific computer on the local network. The specified
    >>computer will get the same DHCP IP address information everytime it is
    >>turned on. No other computer on the local network will receive the
    >>specified
    >>static DHCP address except for the configured computer. Static DHCP is
    >>very
    >>helpful when used for server computers on the local network that are
    >>hosting
    >>applications such as Web and FTP.
    >>

    >>"
    >
    > That's what I was looking for. I'm still looking in the manual to see
    > how good this model is. I may buy one in a couple of weeks or so.
    >
    >>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>that
    >>> >

    >>> I guess it must have been added since those manuals were written.
    >>> Still do you have a link to documentation on it (even just a list of
    >>> features added in different firmware versions).

    >>address

    >>always

    >>failed

    >>and

    >>different

    >>year

    >>both

    >>server

    >>> --
    >>> 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>>
    >>> Mark Lloyd
    >>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>

    > --
    > 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    FYI

    This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called "Address
    reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser utility help. This is
    an old feature (was on old b routers from NETGEAR as well)
    Address Reservation

    When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC will
    always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the DHCP server.
    Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers that require permanent
    IP settings.

    T Chapman
  33. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    [snip]

    >FYI
    >
    >This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called "Address
    >reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser utility help. This is
    >an old feature (was on old b routers from NETGEAR as well)
    >Address Reservation
    >
    >When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC will
    >always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the DHCP server.
    >Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers that require permanent
    >IP settings.
    >
    >T Chapman

    I'm looking at the manual for that (as well as that D-Link one), and
    they both have significanlty more features then the Linksys I'm using
    now.

    The D-Link manual itself has no mention of reserved IP (it must have
    been a later firmware addition). The netgear manual does.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  34. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <10ls0ek564cuj7d@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
    > >>and

    > >>different

    > >>year

    > >>both

    > >>server

    > > --
    > > 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    > >
    > > Mark Lloyd
    > > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >

    > FYI
    >
    > This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called "Address
    > reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser utility help. This is
    > an old feature (was on old b routers from NETGEAR as well)
    > Address Reservation
    >
    > When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC will
    > always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the DHCP server.
    > Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers that require permanent

    I just love when people quote an entire week's worth of a thread,
    without trimming, to offer a small response.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Top posting makes it so much easier!

    From:Elmo P. Shagnasty
    elmop@nastydesigns.com

    > In article <10ls0ek564cuj7d@corp.supernews.com>,
    > "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>> That's what I was looking for. I'm still looking in the manual to
    >>> see how good this model is. I may buy one in a couple of weeks or
    >>> so.

    >>> --
    >>> 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>>
    >>> Mark Lloyd
    >>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>

    >> FYI
    >>
    >> This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called
    >> "Address reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser
    >> utility help. This is an old feature (was on old b routers from
    >> NETGEAR as well)
    >> Address Reservation
    >>
    >> When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC
    >> will always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the
    >> DHCP server. Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers
    >> that require permanent IP settings.
    >>
    >> T Chapman
    >
    > I just love when people quote an entire week's worth of a thread,
    > without trimming, to offer a small response.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:13:58 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >Top posting makes it so much easier!

    Yes, and for some reason people complain about it. There's another
    newsgroup I read, where people often post at the end of a long reply.
    I often just skip to the next message when that happens. And those who
    say it's easy to scroll down, probably aren't considering the hundreds
    of messages in some groups.

    Also, it helps to leave a blank line between quoted and original text.
    Some newsreaders indicate which is which, and can get confused
    otherwise.

    >From:Elmo P. Shagnasty
    >elmop@nastydesigns.com
    >
    >> In article <10ls0ek564cuj7d@corp.supernews.com>,
    >> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>> FYI
    >>>
    >>> This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called
    >>> "Address reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser
    >>> utility help. This is an old feature (was on old b routers from
    >>> NETGEAR as well)
    >>> Address Reservation
    >>>
    >>> When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC
    >>> will always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the
    >>> DHCP server. Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers
    >>> that require permanent IP settings.
    >>>
    >>> T Chapman
    >>
    >> I just love when people quote an entire week's worth of a thread,
    >> without trimming, to offer a small response.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  37. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    After rebate the Netgear can be had for about $20! Well worth it.

    From:Mark Lloyd
    mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:29:13 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> They have added a lot of stuff.
    >> The firmware has built-in help pages that explain everything:
    >> "
    >> DHCP Server
    >> DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Control Protocol. The DHCP server
    >> gives out IP addresses when a device is starting up and request an
    >> IP address to be logged on to the network. The device must be set as
    >> a DHCP client to "Obtain the IP address automatically". By default,
    >> the DHCP Server is enabled in the unit. The DHCP address pool
    >> contains the range of the IP address that will automatically be
    >> assigned to the clients on the network. Starting IP address -
    >> The starting IP address for the DHCP server's IP assignment.
    >> Ending IP address - The ending IP address for the DHCP server's
    >> IP assignment.
    >> Lease Time - The length of time for the IP lease.
    >> DHCP client computers connected to the unit will have their
    >> information displayed in the DHCP Client Table. The table will show
    >> the Host Name, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time of the DHCP
    >> lease for each client computer.
    >>

    >> Static DHCP
    >> Static DHCP allows the router to assign the same IP address
    >> information to a specific computer on the local network. The
    >> specified computer will get the same DHCP IP address information
    >> everytime it is turned on. No other computer on the local network
    >> will receive the specified static DHCP address except for the
    >> configured computer. Static DHCP is very helpful when used for
    >> server computers on the local network that are hosting applications
    >> such as Web and FTP.
    >>

    >> "
    >
    > That's what I was looking for. I'm still looking in the manual to see
    > how good this model is. I may buy one in a couple of weeks or so.
    >
    >> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>> I guess it must have been added since those manuals were written.
    >>> Still do you have a link to documentation on it (even just a list of
    >>> features added in different firmware versions).

    >> failed

    >> and

    >>> --
    >>> 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>>
    >>> Mark Lloyd
    >>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>

    > --
    > 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  38. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I think Netgear has always had it... at least the one I bought 2 years
    ago does. I have a d-link at the office and that has it too. After
    playing with a number of routers over the years, I've settled on Netgear
    for ease of use, reliability and web support.

    From:Mark Lloyd
    mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

    > [snip]
    >

    >> FYI
    >>
    >> This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called
    >> "Address reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser
    >> utility help. This is an old feature (was on old b routers from
    >> NETGEAR as well)
    >> Address Reservation
    >>
    >> When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC
    >> will always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the
    >> DHCP server. Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers
    >> that require permanent IP settings.
    >>
    >> T Chapman
    >>

    > I'm looking at the manual for that (as well as that D-Link one), and
    > they both have significanlty more features then the Linksys I'm using
    > now.
    >
    > The D-Link manual itself has no mention of reserved IP (it must have
    > been a later firmware addition). The netgear manual does.
    >

    > --
    > 85 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  39. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <315sl095v714noiot9pjmb0a8d1kegpbng@4ax.com>,
    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    > >Top posting makes it so much easier!
    > >

    > Yes, and for some reason people complain about it.

    Not "for some reason". For valid reasons.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 06:01:34 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <315sl095v714noiot9pjmb0a8d1kegpbng@4ax.com>,
    > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >> >Top posting makes it so much easier!
    >> >

    >> Yes, and for some reason people complain about it.
    >
    >Not "for some reason". For valid reasons.

    Yes, there are valid reasons. People seldom state them, but usually
    some nonsense like "We do it that way".

    Also, they almost always forget that BOTH (top posting and bottom
    posting) have valid reasons (as well as disadvantages). Perfection
    doesn't exist and can't.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  41. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:07:30 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >I think Netgear has always had it... at least the one I bought 2 years
    >ago does. I have a d-link at the office and that has it too. After
    >playing with a number of routers over the years, I've settled on Netgear
    >for ease of use, reliability and web support.

    I didn't quite finish that last post, but that;s what I started to
    say. The fact that it's in the netgear manual (which I haven't read
    fully yet, but it looks better than the D-Link manual) makes it look
    like Netgear has had it (fixed IPs for DHCP) longer (and it could be
    freer of bugs).

    >From:Mark Lloyd
    >mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx
    >
    >> [snip]
    >>

    >>> FYI
    >>>
    >>> This feature is also avail in my NETGEAR WGR 614 v4. It is called
    >>> "Address reservation"--here is the cut and paste from browser
    >>> utility help. This is an old feature (was on old b routers from
    >>> NETGEAR as well)
    >>> Address Reservation
    >>>
    >>> When you specify a reserved IP address for a PC on the LAN, that PC
    >>> will always receive the same IP address each time it accesses the
    >>> DHCP server. Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to servers
    >>> that require permanent IP settings.
    >>>
    >>> T Chapman
    >>>

    >> I'm looking at the manual for that (as well as that D-Link one), and
    >> they both have significanlty more features then the Linksys I'm using
    >> now.
    >>
    >> The D-Link manual itself has no mention of reserved IP (it must have
    >> been a later firmware addition). The netgear manual does.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  42. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <eojtl0pvvuklp982sb7p9p8ap3h2j4k0a0@4ax.com>,
    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    > Also, they almost always forget that BOTH (top posting and bottom
    > posting) have valid reasons (as well as disadvantages).

    Nope. Top posting has no reason to exist other than laziness on the
    part of the nut behind the wheel.

    Trimming and posting so as to create a normal flow of conversation has
    NO disadvantages whatsoever, and is simply courteous as well as common
    sense.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:52:12 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <eojtl0pvvuklp982sb7p9p8ap3h2j4k0a0@4ax.com>,
    > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >> Also, they almost always forget that BOTH (top posting and bottom
    >> posting) have valid reasons (as well as disadvantages).
    >
    >Nope. Top posting has no reason to exist other than laziness on the
    >part of the nut behind the wheel.

    And, of course, that it makes it easy on the reader.

    >Trimming and posting so as to create a normal flow of conversation has
    >NO disadvantages whatsoever, and is simply courteous as well as common
    >sense.

    A usenet post ISN'T a conversation. A THREAD is.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Bottom posters make me scroll through a weeks worth of already read
    messages to see the reply - a real time waster!

    From:George
    George

    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:52:12 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    > <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <eojtl0pvvuklp982sb7p9p8ap3h2j4k0a0@4ax.com>,
    >> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Also, they almost always forget that BOTH (top posting and bottom
    >>> posting) have valid reasons (as well as disadvantages).
    >>
    >> Nope. Top posting has no reason to exist other than laziness on the
    >> part of the nut behind the wheel.
    >>

    > And, of course, that it makes it easy on the reader.
    >
    >> Trimming and posting so as to create a normal flow of conversation
    >> has NO disadvantages whatsoever, and is simply courteous as well as
    >> common sense.
    >
    > A usenet post ISN'T a conversation. A THREAD is.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <qJD7d.1266$z04.35@twister.socal.rr.com>,
    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

    > Bottom posters make me scroll through a weeks worth of already read
    > messages to see the reply - a real time waster!

    No, bottom posters who are arrogant and lazy and as a result don't trim
    their posts are responsible for that.

    Bottom posters who trim their posts (like I did this one) to make a
    normal flow of ideas are fine--in fact, they're to be encouraged.

    Top posters who don't trim anything but who simply post their stuff at
    the top--like you, Bruce--are as bad as anything the top posters
    themselves complain about. You say what you want to say, then you force
    others to scroll down through the quoted material to find the little
    snippet of material you're talking about.

    You're just lazy and arrogant. You saw something YOU know you're
    referencing, so you just hit the reply button and type away while it's
    fresh in your mind. Two days later, someone else sees what you write at
    the top of an article--and you might as well be writing in a vacuum for
    all that guy knows. He has no idea what you're writing about, and he's
    not likely to scroll down through the UNTRIMMED quoted material to try
    to correlate what you wrote at the top with what's quoted way down below.

    Face it: top posting is bad. It makes you read things backwards.
    Untrimmed quoting is bad. Put them together--like what you did,
    Bruce--and you have a discourteous, arrogant individual who assumes the
    world revolves around him and his laziness.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <qJD7d.1266$z04.35@twister.socal.rr.com>,
    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

    > From:George
    > George
    >
    > > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:52:12 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    > > <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    > >> Nope. Top posting has no reason to exist other than laziness on the
    > >> part of the nut behind the wheel.
    > >>

    > > And, of course, that it makes it easy on the reader.
    > >
    > >> Trimming and posting so as to create a normal flow of conversation
    > >> has NO disadvantages whatsoever, and is simply courteous as well as
    > >> common sense.
    > >
    > > A usenet post ISN'T a conversation. A THREAD is.
    >

    > Bottom posters make me scroll through a weeks worth of already read
    > messages to see the reply - a real time waster!

    only when you don't trim the unnecessary stuff, like what I did here.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:53:43 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <qJD7d.1266$z04.35@twister.socal.rr.com>,
    > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Bottom posters make me scroll through a weeks worth of already read
    >> messages to see the reply - a real time waster!
    >
    >No, bottom posters who are arrogant and lazy and as a result don't trim
    >their posts are responsible for that.

    Somewhat more so than top posters who are arrogant and lazy and as a
    result don't trim their posts.

    >Bottom posters who trim their posts (like I did this one) to make a
    >normal flow of ideas are fine--in fact, they're to be encouraged.

    OK, botton-posting is fine when you quote a few lines (but DO quote
    SOME).

    >Top posters who don't trim anything but who simply post their stuff at
    >the top--like you, Bruce--are as bad as anything the top posters
    >themselves complain about. You say what you want to say, then you force
    >others to scroll down through the quoted material to find the little
    >snippet of material you're talking about.

    Both top-posting and bottom-posting are all right. In any case, quote
    a few lines but not more than a screenful.

    >You're just lazy and arrogant. You saw something YOU know you're
    >referencing, so you just hit the reply button and type away while it's
    >fresh in your mind. Two days later, someone else sees what you write at
    >the top of an article--and you might as well be writing in a vacuum for
    >all that guy knows. He has no idea what you're writing about, and he's
    >not likely to scroll down through the UNTRIMMED quoted material to try
    >to correlate what you wrote at the top with what's quoted way down below.

    Did you consider that maybe he's READ the previous posts in the
    thread, and just needs the new material?

    >Face it: top posting is bad. It makes you read things backwards.

    Like some people have said before, it's the THREAD that's like a
    conversation, not THAT POST BY ITSELF.

    >Untrimmed quoting is bad. Put them together--like what you did,
    >Bruce--and you have a discourteous, arrogant individual

    Untrimmed quoting (quoting more than a screenful) in bad.
    Bottom-posting makes it worse.

    > who assumes the
    >world revolves around him and his laziness.

    Would you still prefer bottom-posting after reading SEVERAL HUNDRED
    posts with replies below excessive quotation?
  48. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Face it: top posting is bad. It makes you read things backwards.
    > Untrimmed quoting is bad. Put them together--like what you did,
    > Bruce--and you have a discourteous, arrogant individual who assumes
    > the world revolves around him and his laziness.

    You mean it doesn't? Sheesh, what a disappointment! ;)
  49. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    So, since both top AND bottom posters are generally lazy and
    discourteous, it comes down to the lesser of two evils - just like a
    typical election. Given that both are less than perfect I'll side with
    the top posters of which I am one. The chance of having most people
    trim and post the "correct" way is somewhere between slim and none.

    From:Elmo P. Shagnasty
    elmop@nastydesigns.com

    > In article <qJD7d.1266$z04.35@twister.socal.rr.com>,
    > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> From:George
    >> George

    >>> And, of course, that it makes it easy on the reader.

    >>> A usenet post ISN'T a conversation. A THREAD is.
    >>

    >> Bottom posters make me scroll through a weeks worth of already read
    >> messages to see the reply - a real time waster!
    >>

    > only when you don't trim the unnecessary stuff, like what I did here.

Ptv Replaytv Routers ReplayTV