Mitsubishi and Hi-resolution Y/C filters

--http://www.nh.cradle.titech.ac.jp/ycsep.html--

It says on the website above that Mitsubishi implemented their High
Resolution 3D Y/C seperation filter that's in the HLD-X9 into several
of their television sets. Did Mitsubishi ever use this technology in
their American products? I know that the recent Pioneer Elite HDTVs
supposedly used the High Resolution filters, but I'm surprised I
haven't heard anything about Mitsubishi's HDTVs. You'd think that this
9-year old technology would be more commonplace by now.
7 answers Last reply
More about mitsubishi resolution filters

    >You'd think that this
    >9-year old technology would be more commonplace by now.

    Every high-end television that I know of incorporates a 3D Y/C filter. And I'd
    imagine that their more or less ALL better than the 9 year old chip in the X9.
    Mitsubishi's top of the line Platinum series sets incorporate a 3D Y/C filter,
    as well as 9" CRTs. They're fantastic sets, but expensive.
    Steve Grauman

    oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message news:<20040930023042.15036.00004203@mb-m02.aol.com>...
    > >You'd think that this
    > >9-year old technology would be more commonplace by now.
    > >

    > Every high-end television that I know of incorporates a 3D Y/C filter. And I'd
    > imagine that their more or less ALL better than the 9 year old chip in the X9.
    > Mitsubishi's top of the line Platinum series sets incorporate a 3D Y/C filter,
    > as well as 9" CRTs. They're fantastic sets, but expensive.
    > Steve Grauman

    The comb filter in many HDTV's aren't that great. Most HDTV sets are
    designed for HD and 480p content and put design consideration into
    480i or analog material, so usually the comb fitlers are not top of
    the line, which helps keep costs down. The current Elite and Diamond
    HDTV sets use the same high resolution comb filter as in the X9. I
    have an Elite 530 and it's comb filter is adjustable in a range from 1
    to 5, which I believe adds in 3D processing as you turn it up. Most
    HDTV's comb filters do not allow any control. The X9's filter has
    three algorithims, Standard, Sports, and Art. When you select one you
    can then go in and adjust the Y/C level (Normal, C-Wide, and High
    Resolution), you can adjust the level of 3D processing on I believe a
    10 point scale, and you can adjust the level of 3D noise reduction for
    the chroma and luminance signals individually on a 10 point scale. So
    even though the current Elites and the X9 have the same filter, the
    X9's is much more flexible to suit different program material.

    > Every high-end television that I know of incorporates a 3D Y/C filter.

    Yes, but I was speaking specifically about the Mitsubishi/Pioneer
    filter that is "composed of horizontal 1-dimensional filter and
    non-separable vertical-temporal 2-dimensional filter".

    > And I'd imagine that their more or less ALL better than the 9 year old chip >in the X9.

    I wouldn't jump to conclusions, unless I had access to some technical
    specifications. There appears to be two different types of 3D Y/C
    filters, the conventional adaptively switched kind, and the
    non-separable vertical-temporal model described in the website above.
    It lists a number of Mitsubishi sets that contain the filter, but I
    don't think any of them are American. The newer Pioneer Elite HDTVs
    are said to have them, but they have much less adjustability than the
    LD players. I'd also like some solid proof that the Pioneer Elite sets
    actually contain this filter.

    I agree with everything MR. Taylor said but I brought home a Mits Diamond
    and returned it the next day as it looked very average when watching NTSC
    material. The Pioneer I brought home the next day looked just as good in
    Hi-Def but was much better with NTSC material.

    Even though they both use the same Mits filter, in my experience Pioneer did
    a much better job with the remainder of the electronics.

    Kurtis

    "gtaylor" <gltaylor74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message
    > > >You'd think that this
    > > >9-year old technology would be more commonplace by now.
    > > >

    > > Every high-end television that I know of incorporates a 3D Y/C filter.
    And I'd
    > > imagine that their more or less ALL better than the 9 year old chip in
    the X9.
    > > Mitsubishi's top of the line Platinum series sets incorporate a 3D Y/C
    filter,
    > > as well as 9" CRTs. They're fantastic sets, but expensive.
    > > Steve Grauman
    >

    > The comb filter in many HDTV's aren't that great. Most HDTV sets are
    > designed for HD and 480p content and put design consideration into
    > 480i or analog material, so usually the comb fitlers are not top of
    > the line, which helps keep costs down. The current Elite and Diamond
    > HDTV sets use the same high resolution comb filter as in the X9. I
    > have an Elite 530 and it's comb filter is adjustable in a range from 1
    > to 5, which I believe adds in 3D processing as you turn it up. Most
    > HDTV's comb filters do not allow any control. The X9's filter has
    > three algorithims, Standard, Sports, and Art. When you select one you
    > can then go in and adjust the Y/C level (Normal, C-Wide, and High
    > Resolution), you can adjust the level of 3D processing on I believe a
    > 10 point scale, and you can adjust the level of 3D noise reduction for
    > the chroma and luminance signals individually on a 10 point scale. So
    > even though the current Elites and the X9 have the same filter, the
    > X9's is much more flexible to suit different program material.

    Does anyone now witch Y-C separation filter the Pioneer CLD-D925 contains
    and how the quality of this filter is?

    "Chris W." <memnon2@ziplip.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Every high-end television that I know of incorporates a 3D Y/C filter.
    >
    > Yes, but I was speaking specifically about the Mitsubishi/Pioneer
    > filter that is "composed of horizontal 1-dimensional filter and
    > non-separable vertical-temporal 2-dimensional filter".
    >

    > > And I'd imagine that their more or less ALL better than the 9 year old
    chip >in the X9.

    > I wouldn't jump to conclusions, unless I had access to some technical
    > specifications. There appears to be two different types of 3D Y/C
    > filters, the conventional adaptively switched kind, and the
    > non-separable vertical-temporal model described in the website above.
    > It lists a number of Mitsubishi sets that contain the filter, but I
    > don't think any of them are American. The newer Pioneer Elite HDTVs
    > are said to have them, but they have much less adjustability than the
    > LD players. I'd also like some solid proof that the Pioneer Elite sets
    > actually contain this filter.

    Hi
    I think Sony CXD 2024Q,will check later.
    killed stone dead by faroudja VP100 on composite output
    Smiffy

    "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<8fydnQG5Ub4_IsHcRVn-oA@comcast.com>...
    > I agree with everything MR. Taylor said but I brought home a Mits Diamond
    > and returned it the next day as it looked very average when watching NTSC
    > material. The Pioneer I brought home the next day looked just as good in
    > Hi-Def but was much better with NTSC material.

    That might have to do with Pioneer's internal line doubler, which is
    supposed to be real good.

Laser Disc Players Mitsubishi Resolution