£1000 New Build Opinion.

Sythius

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Hi All,

I am building a gaming PC and have done some research, I came up with a build that is exactly the price I wanted. I use my PC for many things including 3D games developing but I want my PC to focus mainly on playing games. Does the build below seem like it will run well together with the parts I have chosen? I do not plan to overclock unless needed too. Will the parts be fine in the PC case I chosen, it has 5 fans but it is a mid tower. I have used a template from another post. Thanks for your time.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g: 1 Week (15/08/2014).

Budget Range: £1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: None

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any

Parts Preferences: Asus

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

Motherboard: Maximus VI Hero.
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K.
RAM: 16GB AData XPG V2 DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz (2x 8GB). (Recommended from the QVL)
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI DirectCU II.
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 1 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-600 3.5" 7200 rpm.
Power: Corsair CX750 Power supply 750 Watt.
Case: X-Case SII Gaming Case - Hd Dock + USB 3 + 5 Fans. (Link to Tower Case).

Rammy

Honorable

Skip the "G1" version and go for the "G2", it's significantly better without being much more expensive.

As exclusively a gaming prospect, your machine is a bit of an odd mix of parts. The motherboard is very expensive, the case is very cheap, 16Gb of ram is perhaps excessive and a 750W PSU is pointless unless you plan to SLI. Also, most ~£1000 PCs are likely to attempt to incorporate an SSD. Finally, buying an overclockable processor+motherboard (but no cooler) without intending to overclock is probably a poor use of funds.
Now, some of these points can be offset by the demands of your games development. I'd imagine an i7+16Gb of memory has some advantage here, though it's going to be very software dependant.

Sythius

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Trying to get a build for future games too, should i buy a different motherboard or would the motherboard be good for future upgrades. I will probably want to use SLI in the future but i will buy another supply pack then, I want to get a build that is very good now but also upgradable. I don't care how the PC case will look just one that has good ventilation. If i don't need i will use 8GB but if i can fit it in my budget to have 16GB will help with other tasks. I probably won't overclock until i need to for future games and will probably buy more ventilation then. I will definitely get a SSD instead. Thanks for info.

Sythius

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Sorry to be a pain but i have decided to buy a build and add to it a few months after. I will be overclocking it too.

Initial Build No Overclock:

Motherboard: Maximus VI Hero
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series - DIMM 240-pin 16gb 2400
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI DirectCU II
HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB Internal SSD Serial ATA-600 2.5"
Power: eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power supply
Case: Aerocool Sixth Element Full Tower case

Finished Build With Overclock:

RAM: 32GB - G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series
Graphics: 2x - Asus GeForce GTX 780
HDD: 4x - Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power: eVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 Power supply - 1200 Watt
Cooling: Full Liquid Cooling System

EDIT:
I think am understanding overclocking a bit more. The motherboard only supports 1600Mhz RAM not overclocked, so if i buy a 1600MHz i can overclock it to 2400MHz. So for RAM i should get something like a G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz.