Problem with S-video

I decided to ask my question here before calling India.
I just got a new TV, which has S-video input. I thought that I would use
it. I connected RTV S-video out to the TV -- worked just fine. But that
wouldn't buy me anything unless the input to RTV was S-video.

So I hooked up the RTV to the S-video output of my Dishnetwork receiver.
Since S-video seems to be only available on input 2, I configured that
and switched input to Line 2. That seemed to work.

BUT ---- now there are no descriptions available when I press select.
The program guide is fine, but no little things atop the screen giving
useful information.

Any suggestions?

Also, how much inprovement in video quality is there with S-video rather
than plain old composite?

Thanks.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:56:21 GMT, Jerry Bank <bankcello@peoplepc.com>
    wrote:

    >I decided to ask my question here before calling India.
    >I just got a new TV, which has S-video input. I thought that I would use
    >it. I connected RTV S-video out to the TV -- worked just fine. But that
    >wouldn't buy me anything unless the input to RTV was S-video.

    There would still be an improvement (actually a lack of additional
    degradation), but it's very small.

    >So I hooked up the RTV to the S-video output of my Dishnetwork receiver.
    >Since S-video seems to be only available on input 2, I configured that
    >and switched input to Line 2. That seemed to work.

    I used S-video once, but quit because those S-video connectors come
    loose easily. I seldom watch live TV anymore, so by the time I find
    out, several hours of programming can be lost. That;s a much bigger
    problem that the slight improvement in quality.

    >BUT ---- now there are no descriptions available when I press select.
    >The program guide is fine, but no little things atop the screen giving
    >useful information.

    'select' has lot of functions depending on when you press it. Do you
    mean while a show is playing (not at a menu)? That depends on the
    guide (not the input jack), so I don't see how that could happen. I
    had no problem when I used S-video. Are you sure it's not just the
    show? What's actually happening when you press 'select'?

    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Also, how much inprovement in video quality is there with S-video rather
    >than plain old composite?

    Very little unless you have an unusually high quality source, like the
    "examples" they have on some web sites. You may not even notice it
    with real program sources like cable and satellite.

    BTW, component video does make a big difference, but you'd still need
    a high-quality (such as HD or DVD) source to notice it.

    >Thanks.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    > That depends on the
    >guide (not the input jack)

    That was my first thought. When he assigned that port he will have to make that
    agonizing decision of which guide he wants and what he will lose on the other
    ports.

    >95 days until the winter solstice celebration

    Have you started on your solstice cards?
    The list always seems to get longer doesn't it ;-)

Ptv Replaytv TV Video ReplayTV