Question regarding RF A/V converters

As stated in a previous post, I have a Magnavox set manufactured in
1985, so I have to use one of those RF modulator A/V converter boxes.
I input the LD player to the converter box through a composite cable,
which then outputs to the TV through an RF cable. The results are less
than stellar- the set has a garbage comb filter, evidenced by the
extremely distorted moire on the Snell & Wilcox zone plate pattern on
Video Essentials. Would I be able to use the LD player's comb filter
if I connected it to the converter with S-Video instead of composite?
Or will the converter change it back into a composite signal anyway? I
know that it would somehow 'mash' the Y/C signals back together, due
to the signal being compressed onto the RF cable, but would it still
go through the set's comb filter?

____________________
| |
| CLD-D703 |
| |
|__________________|

| <-------- Composite or S-Video?

_________|____________________
| |
| RF Moudulator A/V converter|
|____________________________|

| <---------RF Cable

______|____________________
| |
| |
| TV |
| |
|_________________________|
3 answers Last reply
More about question converters

    "Chris W." <memnon2@ziplip.com> wrote in message
    Would I be able to use the LD player's comb filter
    > if I connected it to the converter with S-Video instead of composite?

    The signal would be converted back to composite format and run through
    your TV's comb filter again.

    You really just need a new TV.

    "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<Pkp1d.578$n16.421@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > "Chris W." <memnon2@ziplip.com> wrote in message
    > Would I be able to use the LD player's comb filter
    > > if I connected it to the converter with S-Video instead of composite?
    >
    > The signal would be converted back to composite format and run through
    > your TV's comb filter again.
    >
    > You really just need a new TV.

    Lol...it's like putting high-octane gas into a Pinto...

    I read in this article that using an analog Y/C filter reduces the
    horizontal luminance resolution, the color resolution, and creates
    cross-color artifacts in areas of fine detail:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Comb+Filter+Tutorial&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.video.laserdisc.*&selm=2ruiem%24crd%40tekadm1.cse.tek.com&rnum=3

Laser Disc Players Video Converter