Pioneer DVL-700 opinions

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the Panasonic
LX-120. I've narrowed my search a bit and was wondering if anyone
could give me their opinions on the DVL-700.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie V.
3 answers Last reply
More about pioneer dvl 700 opinions

    Well, I've owned a DVL-700 for awhile. The dvd playback is pretty basic
    and slightly problematic. The dvd will have to be spotless. No scratches
    or fingerprints, to be able to play properly.
    The LD playback is a bit soft but I considered it to be fine. It's just
    as good as the LD playback of the expensive Elite DVL 91, although the
    91 does have user adjustable video noise reduction.
    The LD playback is better than the Panasonic you were considering.
    Basically, I think there's a high degree of "built in" digital video
    noise reduction. This leads to the slightly softer picture, but also
    helps eliminate chroma and luminence noise, so that the picture is very
    stable.
    Kevin

    Eddie Valiant <no@address.com> wrote in message news:<b2qck01ti3upf31m885dtgtmrtcl96f9p2@4ax.com>...
    > Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the Panasonic
    > LX-120. I've narrowed my search a bit and was wondering if anyone
    > could give me their opinions on the DVL-700.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Eddie V.

    I bought a DVL700 when they first came out. Reviews at the time rated
    the LD picture as very good. Mine started having trouble reading
    DVD's after about a year. I eventually replaced it with a DVL919,
    which is still in use.

    If you get one, I would suggest using it to play LD's only. Makes no
    sense wearing it out playing DVD's when DVD players are so cheap.

    The remote on the DVL700 is contoured and offers Heads-Up operation. I
    consider it superior to the one on the 909 and 919. The DVL 91 does have a
    jog shuttle wheel and is the only US DVD/LD model to have a wheel.
    Unfortunately, since they use a different infrared protocol, the remotes for
    the older LD only models are not interchangeable with the newerr LD/DVD
    units. Many of those older LD only models had desireable jog/shuttle
    remotes.

    The models with jog and shuttle on the remotes generally supported special
    effects with extended play CLV discs. The DVL players all support special
    effects on CLV discs too, which is a plus.

    The DVL models also have the AC3 output jack for connecting to a
    demodulator. Many LD discs made after 1995 have Dolby Digital 5.1 audio
    tracks. If you get a player with the AC3 jack, shop around on eBay for a
    demodulator. The best ones for the DVL players are the autoswitching units
    since they offer pass-through for the DVD side and you can use fewer cables
    to your receiver. The Pioneer RFD-1, the Kenwood DEM-9991D, and the B&K
    DT-1 are autoswitchers.

    I have two DVL700 players that play LDs very well. They are just a notch
    below the CLD97 and CLD99.

    Mike

    "Eddie Valiant" <no@address.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the Panasonic
    > LX-120. I've narrowed my search a bit and was wondering if anyone
    > could give me their opinions on the DVL-700.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Eddie V.

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Video