Is Replay going under or just cancelling new units ?

I'm confused about a forum news release about 5xxx being discontinued
because of commercial skip and internet sharing. Is replay going
under? Is the future bright ? Will they continue to be able to share
within a house ?

I really want two plus tuners. If I buy two replay TVs, do I get a
discount on the second subscription (like satellite)? Is the lifetime
subscription limited to the hardware and not the user ? My tivo died
once in two years.

How hackable is it? Any copying off show to PC hardware? I really
want to burn DVDs.

Thanks for the help,

Paul
25 answers Last reply
More about replay cancelling units

    Paul McHale wrote:
    > I'm confused about a forum news release about 5xxx being discontinued
    > because of commercial skip and internet sharing.

    50xx were replaced with 55xx which do not have internet sharing and have
    manual commercial advance.

    > Is replay going
    > under? Is the future bright ?

    DNNA is well off financially (Denon, Marantz, Rio). It is Tivo that is
    almost bankrupt. DNNA is moving to a central home media server based
    system, which was awarded best in show. The unit shown is delayed due to
    re-design, probably in response to changes in the marketplace And
    customer requests. Nobody knows, but this could be multi-tuners,
    cable-card capability, etc. Existing Replay units should be able to be
    used as clients in this system.

    > Will they continue to be able to share
    > within a house ?

    Networking is integral to Replay.

    > I really want two plus tuners. If I buy two replay TVs, do I get a
    > discount on the second subscription (like satellite)?

    No. Most Replayers have more than one and since Replays stream to each
    other and can be controlled from the others, multi-tuners become
    unneccessary.

    > Is the lifetime
    > subscription limited to the hardware and not the user ? My tivo died
    > once in two years.

    Hardware. Replays are easily user repairable as 99% of failures are due
    to drive failure. Also, DNNA has become more pliable in transferring
    subscriptions from failed units.

    > How hackable is it?

    Very

    > Any copying off show to PC hardware? I really
    > want to burn DVDs.

    Replay is the only game in town. There is no restriction on what you can
    burn. It is easy and Replay has the killer app DVArchive which allows
    streaming to/from pc, remote control & scheduling and a lot more. Tivo
    has announced a desire to add this ability, but with restrictions. Given
    their financial condition, I would consider this vaporware until it is
    delivered.

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 03:57:53 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> I really want two plus tuners. If I buy two replay TVs, do I get a
    >> discount on the second subscription (like satellite)?
    >
    >No. Most Replayers have more than one and since Replays stream to each
    >other and can be controlled from the others, multi-tuners become
    >unneccessary.

    But would be desirable, considering the confilct resolution (although
    DVArchive helps here with it's "upcoming shows" list and ability to
    schedule),

    [snip]

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    D&M has given every indication that they want out of the standalone DVR
    business where they are hemorrhaging money. (Tony hates it when I quote their
    press releases)
    The only question for us is whether they new "server" they are developing will
    have backward compatibility to our current machines and if they will honor the
    "lifetimes" after they spin off the standalone DVR business. The word they use
    is they are seeking a "strategic partner". I think that means a cable company.
    I do agree with Tony that if they do find a partner to keep RTV alive it will
    also honor lifetimers. There is also no reason to think the server won't stream
    to 4500-5500 machines.
    I do think "phone only" folks may have to "Bring their own connection" to the
    central site in some areas, if not all.
    If you think all things are forever, go down to Blockbuster and try to rent a
    Betamax tape!

    On 01 Sep 2004 17:32:12 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >D&M has given every indication that they want out of the standalone DVR
    >business where they are hemorrhaging money. (Tony hates it when I quote their
    >press releases)
    >The only question for us is whether they new "server" they are developing will
    >have backward compatibility to our current machines and if they will honor the
    >"lifetimes" after they spin off the standalone DVR business. The word they use
    >is they are seeking a "strategic partner". I think that means a cable company.
    >I do agree with Tony that if they do find a partner to keep RTV alive it will
    >also honor lifetimers. There is also no reason to think the server won't stream
    >to 4500-5500 machines.
    >I do think "phone only" folks may have to "Bring their own connection" to the
    >central site in some areas, if not all.
    >If you think all things are forever, go down to Blockbuster and try to rent a
    >Betamax tape!

    It they do stop the service, it's likely that someone else will
    provide a substitute (probably requiring an internet connection, even
    for older units).

    Paul McHale <paul.mchale@_NO_$PAMearthlink.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >I'm confused about a forum news release about 5xxx being discontinued
    >because of commercial skip and internet sharing. Is replay going
    >under? Is the future bright ? Will they continue to be able to share
    >within a house ?

    ReplayTV has gone under - twice. The first time SonicBlue bought
    them. The second time D&M Holdings bought them and used them as part
    of the new entity - Digital Networks North America. DNNA is where RTV
    lives currently.

    The 5000 series is dead, the 5500 is current. They're the same HW,
    slightly different features - they dropped Send Show and Commercial
    Advance.

    It looks like DNNA is leaving the standalone DVR market. They haven't
    refreshed the RTV HW in quite a while and have made no announcements
    about plans to do so. They also dropped several announced plans for
    features like MP3 playback and USB WiFi support.

    DNNA has been focusing on bundling DVR functionality into high end
    media servers. They haven't *shipped* anything yet though. At
    CES2004 in January they showed off a media server, even won a Best of
    Show award, but 8 months later it hasn't shipped and there is no firm
    date yet. But this is the way they're going.

    They've been looking for a 'strategic partner' for the DVR market - in
    other words, they want to license the software and get out of the HW
    business.

    >I really want two plus tuners. If I buy two replay TVs, do I get a
    >discount on the second subscription (like satellite)? Is the lifetime
    >subscription limited to the hardware and not the user ? My tivo died

    There is no discount on multiple subs like there is on TiVO, and the
    lifetime is per unit - just like TiVo.

    >How hackable is it? Any copying off show to PC hardware? I really
    >want to burn DVDs.

    RTV isn't very hackable at all, compared to TiVo. Hacks are pretty
    much limited to larger drives. But copying to PC HW is easier because
    RTV's streaming security is a laugh, so there is software that spoofs
    being an RTV and gets another unit to stream to it, then saves the
    stream.

    To do the same on TiVo you either have to wait for TiVoToGo later
    these year or hack the unit to enable extraction. Though if you do
    the hack it is then trivial to copy the content.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    >t they do stop the service, it's likely that someone else will
    >provide a substitute (probably requiring an internet connection, even
    >for older units).
    >
    >--

    That I do agree with. I imagine Zap2it might even jump in but the cable company
    is a natural since they already have a similar service on their digital boxes.

    On 01 Sep 2004 20:39:00 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>t they do stop the service, it's likely that someone else will
    >>provide a substitute (probably requiring an internet connection, even
    >>for older units).
    >>
    >>--
    >
    >That I do agree with. I imagine Zap2it might even jump in but the cable company
    >is a natural since they already have a similar service on their digital boxes.

    However, Replay isn't limited to digital cable, or even cable so that
    wouldn't be a complete solution.

    DVArchive already gets a guide somewhere. Some additional software
    could pass that on the the Replay.

    Does anyone here use zap2it for terrestrial broadcast? Does it list
    the channels you actually get?

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    > ReplayTV has gone under - twice. The first time SonicBlue bought
    > them. The second time D&M Holdings bought them and used them as part
    > of the new entity - Digital Networks North America. DNNA is where RTV
    > lives currently.

    That's correct, and a simple call to a broker will give you a fast
    answer on the financial stability of Tivo vs DNNA. (This is where Tivo
    people like to change the subject and talk about "market share").

    > The 5000 series is dead, the 5500 is current. They're the same HW,
    > slightly different features - they dropped Send Show and Commercial
    > Advance.

    Commercial Advance is called Show/NAv on the 5500.

    > They've been looking for a 'strategic partner' for the DVR market - in
    > other words, they want to license the software and get out of the HW0.
    > business.

    Media servers and their clients are still hardware and DNNA is a
    hardware company, not a think tank. Tivo is looking for a partner also,
    but in their case it is to survive.

    > RTV isn't very hackable at all, compared to TiVo. Hacks are pretty
    > much limited to larger drives. But copying to PC HW is easier because
    > RTV's streaming security is a laugh, so there is software that spoofs
    > being an RTV and gets another unit to stream to it, then saves the
    > stream.

    Replays have an open architecture which allows a lot of custom software.
    Many of Tivo hacks are to emulate Replay features. Replays have no
    encryption, Tivos do and it looks like the levels are increasing. Tivo
    is shopping themselves to media content providers, which would be an
    absolute disaster for the consumer.

    > To do the same on TiVo you either have to wait for TiVoToGo later
    > these year or hack the unit to enable extraction. Though if you do
    > the hack it is then trivial to copy the content.

    Given their financial shape (like I said, ask a broker not a Tivo
    cheerleader), I would wait until the "new features" are out before
    looking toward Tivo. Until then it is just vaporware.

    Greg wrote:

    > D&M has given every indication that they want out of the standalone DVR
    > business where they are hemorrhaging money. (Tony hates it when I quote their
    > press releases)

    Their press releases said they had lower profits the last quarter than
    what they originally calculated due to the takeover costs of Rio, Replay
    , etc. Of course this was a given because their previous prediction had
    no allocation for buying these companies anyway. I suggest any reader
    here worrying about the financial stability of DNNA to call a broker not
    a chatroom theorist.

    > The only question for us is whether they new "server" they are developing will
    > have backward compatibility to our current machines and if they will honor the
    > "lifetimes" after they spin off the standalone DVR business. The word they use
    > is they are seeking a "strategic partner". I think that means a cable company.
    > I do agree with Tony that if they do find a partner to keep RTV alive it will
    > also honor lifetimers. There is also no reason to think the server won't stream
    > to 4500-5500 machines.

    The media server is supposed to be available with client units and
    current Replays are supposed to be able to serve as these clients. Can't
    see why this would not be easy, but anything is possible. There are more
    than 60,000 replays in service and the division operates in the black
    according to DNNA people. The entire operation is a customer service
    department and a couple of engineers, the rest is now Denon (r&d,design,
    advertising,etc). The media server has been delayed since the market
    place has changed so dramatically in the last few months. There is
    nothing specific about the changes being made but I would think they
    would have to be multi-tuners, cable-card, etc.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >That's correct, and a simple call to a broker will give you a fast
    >answer on the financial stability of Tivo vs DNNA. (This is where Tivo
    >people like to change the subject and talk about "market share").

    Sony was in great shape but they cut loose several million BetaMax users.
    What's your point?

    >Replays have an open architecture which allows a lot of custom software.

    Where is the complier? Where is the source code? How do you upload the
    software? Is the API published anywhere?

    RTV is certainly "closed" architecture. The only "hacks" are people who are
    tricking the RTV into thinking it is talking to another RTV or the server.

    >Given their financial shape (like I said, ask a broker not a Tivo
    >cheerleader),
    Your pom poms say RTV on them, what's your point? You do look cute in your
    uniform tho ;-)

    Go Team!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >There are more
    >than 60,000 replays in service and the division operates in the black
    >according to DNNA people

    Sure, if you ignore the 1.3 billion yen they wrote off.
    If I ignore the money I send the power company I am making a profit on my
    electric bill too.

    You really hate their press releases don't you?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > No, but seems to be getting it from the same source.

    I agree they may well be using the same source, I should point out the
    "Same error" I noticed also applies to Yahoo! "My TV" www.Iwon.com and
    TVguide.com and ZAPIT.com All showed the same errors

    (Which is why I think it's the station's fault)

    > Both Replay and DVA (with the same settings) should display the same
    > number of channels, before you've deselected (hidden) any.

    That is not how I remembered it. I do know they assumed I had about a
    400' TV antenna tower (What I'd need to get many of the stations they
    listed on broadcast, And yes,,,,, I worked in the antenna business for a
    while so I know what I'd need

    Project for yesterday.... Add additional 3-wire ground outlet in living
    room for wife's VCR. Since power company is so good here I now have her
    VCR (She uses a standard VCR says of Replay "Oh, that's too
    complicated") is on a UPS (APC 280) Works nice
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:03:30 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >

    >> No, but seems to be getting it from the same source.
    >
    >I agree they may well be using the same source, I should point out the
    >"Same error" I noticed also applies to Yahoo! "My TV" www.Iwon.com and
    >TVguide.com and ZAPIT.com All showed the same errors

    They copy stuff from each other a lot. Looks like the same way most
    people don't have opinions on major issues. Those that seem to are
    usually just repeating others'.

    >(Which is why I think it's the station's fault)

    Could be, They do things like that. BTW, I used to live in Denton
    (near Dallas TX) and EVERY city map I saw had the same error on a
    street less than a block from where I lived.

    >> Both Replay and DVA (with the same settings) should display the same
    >> number of channels, before you've deselected (hidden) any.
    >
    >That is not how I remembered it.

    Could it be channels that were added between when you set up the
    Replay and when you set up DVA? Also, maybe it's how DVA 3.0 kept
    forgetting about hidden channels? That problem seems to be fixed in
    DVA 3.1.

    BTW, DVA works better if your firewall passes uPnP (IP address
    239.255.255.250) locally. Strange that they used THAT IP for LAN
    traffic. I have it blocked at my router, so it's not being sent on the
    internet.

    > I do know they assumed I had about a
    >400' TV antenna tower (What I'd need to get many of the stations they
    >listed on broadcast,

    Not as bad (you can always deselect them) as when they leave off
    channels you can get with a little indoor antenna. They do that a lot
    around here (varies somewhat by ZIP).

    > And yes,,,,, I worked in the antenna business for a
    >while so I know what I'd need
    >
    >Project for yesterday.... Add additional 3-wire ground outlet in living
    >room for wife's VCR. Since power company is so good here I now have her
    >VCR (She uses a standard VCR says of Replay "Oh, that's too
    >complicated") is on a UPS (APC 280) Works nice

    I started using a DVR because I wanted something that would work like
    a VCR (pause, rewind, forward, etc...) with live TV (something nearly
    impossible with tape), then found out about the schedule and seldom
    watch live TV now. I usually don't even know when something comes on
    or what channel, just watch it when convenient.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I bet the source for most TV listings is TMS/Zap2it. At any rate they are all
    at the mercy of what the networks and affilliates tell them. These days I
    suspect they get a spreadsheet file (XLS or similar) and it is up to the user
    to roll that up into a database.
    I'm not sure who clips on the attributes like "action","Comedy" etc but I bet
    it is TMS.
    The actual software for the searching and selection (themes etc) is pretty
    trivial in a database system.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > Using DVA as an internet server. It's possible, but as the FAQs say,
    > there are security issues. Also, there's a couple of different servers
    > in DVA:

    The plan is to run two programs on the "Server" one DVA set to download
    all programs at least once a day. And the other basically a very
    heavily password protected FTP server. Something with a password like
    "Now*is#the&time@for^all$good+men=to_come-to$the&aid or some such
    (all passwords are hackable, that one is going to make some hacker loose
    a lot of sleep, that is not, however, a password I'd ever use. but you
    get the idea, lots of words separated with random non-spaces, just the
    words would not string like those do)

    I have found this actually works better.... Currently if I'm in a hurry
    it's better to let //main download the RTV and then copy/move the files
    using network commands rather than allowing DVA to do it. I get about
    double the download speed when copying files from //main using windows
    move file command as opposed to replay, and that's faster coming off the
    1.8GHz Win-xp box than off the RTV

    > I can remember many instances of watching that tape very carefully,
    > hoping something would fit.

    I see we agree there... And what's worse is not watching it and catching
    fifty minutes and then ...... <REW shows up on the screen ARRRGGHHH!!!!

    And though my RTV is only a 5504.... I now have a small 160 hour
    accessory that plugs into either of the DVArchive equipped boxes.

    Makes for one LONG video tape don't you know (I'm transferring to it as
    I type)

    > You could record the DVDs to the Replay if there's enough room. I've
    > done that a few times, in order to get a digital copy on the computer.
    > This works better than using a digitizer card in the PC.

    I do, with DVA there is more than enough room... Did find though that at
    high quality I need to limit the file size. I have only one NTFS drive
    (not counting the 5504, don't know what file structure it uses) and
    that's my smallest (20 gig) HD. It's a storage drive, not actively used.

    This computer chokes if it sees 4+ gig in a file size, won't even delete
    it remotely.. So I have to keep files under four gigs (known issue (not
    a bug) of FAT and windows other than NT)

    > A VCD will hold 2 of those 30-minute shows. I recorded a few, mostly
    > just to see if I could (and to avoid creating so many DVD "coasters").

    I know,,, I can put an hour on a VCD but quality suffers.
    One half hour fits at best quality

    > I have about 55 theme channels at this time.

    Is there an easy way to set up a theme channel? (I"m still learning the
    menu structure on this box and have not seen anything in the fine manual
    on that, or if I did I missed it)

    > Do you care if Replay ever has a HDTV model?

    Well.... might be nice but not having any HDTV's in the house.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 01:01:04 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >>
    >> Using DVA as an internet server. It's possible, but as the FAQs say,
    >> there are security issues. Also, there's a couple of different servers
    >> in DVA:
    >
    >The plan is to run two programs on the "Server" one DVA set to download
    >all programs at least once a day. And the other basically a very
    >heavily password protected FTP server. Something with a password like
    >"Now*is#the&time@for^all$good+men=to_come-to$the&aid or some such
    >(all passwords are hackable, that one is going to make some hacker loose
    >a lot of sleep, that is not, however, a password I'd ever use. but you
    >get the idea, lots of words separated with random non-spaces, just the
    >words would not string like those do)

    Do you have to type that password?

    >I have found this actually works better.... Currently if I'm in a hurry
    >it's better to let //main download the RTV and then copy/move the files
    >using network commands rather than allowing DVA to do it. I get about
    >double the download speed when copying files from //main using windows
    >move file command as opposed to replay, and that's faster coming off the
    >1.8GHz Win-xp box than off the RTV

    What actual speeds are you getting, and with what connection?

    That (the combination of DVA and a FTP server) sounds like something I
    may want to do. Everything automatic until the final download, which
    will be fast.

    >> I can remember many instances of watching that tape very carefully,
    >> hoping something would fit.
    >
    >I see we agree there... And what's worse is not watching it and catching
    >fifty minutes and then ...... <REW shows up on the screen ARRRGGHHH!!!!

    Right. One of the advntages of this seperate recording and DVD
    authoring is that you don't lose something because it didn't quite
    fit.

    >And though my RTV is only a 5504....

    I was going to upgrade the hard drive in my main replay (a 5xxx), but
    never did. There was no need for it with DVArchive working. That 250GB
    drive is now in the computer I use for video (had had the NTFS format
    needed for large files).

    > I now have a small 160 hour
    >accessory that plugs into either of the DVArchive equipped boxes.
    >
    >Makes for one LONG video tape don't you know (I'm transferring to it as
    >I type)
    >

    >> You could record the DVDs to the Replay if there's enough room. I've
    >> done that a few times, in order to get a digital copy on the computer.
    >> This works better than using a digitizer card in the PC.
    >

    >I do, with DVA there is more than enough room... Did find though that at
    >high quality I need to limit the file size.

    Are you sure you need High? It uses about 50% more space than Medium,
    200% more than Standard. A 40-gig Replay stores 40 hours at Standard,
    20 at medium, and 13 at High. Consider that none of the inputs to the
    Replay are very high quality.

    > I have only one NTFS drive
    >(not counting the 5504, don't know what file structure it uses)

    Not sure, but it's NOT FAT.

    >and
    >that's my smallest (20 gig) HD. It's a storage drive, not actively used.
    >
    >This computer chokes if it sees 4+ gig in a file size, won't even delete
    >it remotely.. So I have to keep files under four gigs (known issue (not
    >a bug) of FAT and windows other than NT)

    I have some evidence that trying to use files larger that 4GB on a
    FAT32 disk can cause corruption. That's what happened when I used to
    use FAT32 for video, then recorded a long movie that messed up the
    disk so it needed reformatting. I deciced to use NTFS.

    >> A VCD will hold 2 of those 30-minute shows. I recorded a few, mostly
    >> just to see if I could (and to avoid creating so many DVD "coasters").
    >
    >I know,,, I can put an hour on a VCD but quality suffers.
    >One half hour fits at best quality
    >
    >> I have about 55 theme channels at this time.
    >
    >Is there an easy way to set up a theme channel? (I"m still learning the
    >menu structure on this box and have not seen anything in the fine manual
    >on that, or if I did I missed it)

    Not very. It would be nice to be able to do it completely from DVA,
    but it won't let you (apparently a limitation of the Replay, not of
    DVA). There is the remote emulator, which helps some (real keyboard)
    but you still have to see the TV screen (there's much too much
    "relative" stuff to be able to do it "blind").

    I suppose you know about the undocumented "theme priority" feature?
    That's something I've been asking for since v1 software. They finally
    added it and didn't tell people. To use it, you enter "THEME PRIORITY"
    at the command line ("clawfoot portal") to enable it. Then you get an
    extra field on theme channels. Set that to 1-99. This works backward,
    the lowest number gives you the highest priority.

    >> Do you care if Replay ever has a HDTV model?
    >
    >Well.... might be nice but not having any HDTV's in the house.

    Some people claim that all TV will need it by 2006. It'll probably
    take longer.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
> [...]
    > but it won't let you (apparently a limitation of the Replay, not of
    > DVA). There is the remote emulator, which helps some (real keyboard)
    > but you still have to see the TV screen (there's much too much
    > "relative" stuff to be able to do it "blind").
    >
    > I suppose you know about the undocumented "theme priority" feature?
    > That's something I've been asking for since v1 software. They finally
    > added it and didn't tell people. To use it, you enter "THEME PRIORITY"
    > at the command line ("clawfoot portal") to enable it. Then you get an
    > extra field on theme channels. Set that to 1-99. This works backward,
    > the lowest number gives you the highest priority.
    >

    >>>Do you care if Replay ever has a HDTV model?
    >>
    >>Well.... might be nice but not having any HDTV's in the house.
    >

    > Some people claim that all TV will need it by 2006. It'll probably

    Mark, you are confusing plans with what I'm doing now

    Today I often download from the RTV to my main 1.8 GHz mini-tower
    and then copy via the lan from the mini-tower to the laptop.
    For some reason this is faster than downloading direct from the RTV

    Future plans call for a second RTV, and it will sit next to a LINUX
    server. But just now I don't have the server

    And no. I won't have to type the password but one time (or two times)
    as the computer will keep it safely encoded for me
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:05:19 GMT, John in Detroit
> [...]

    >>>menu structure on this box and have not seen anything in the fine manual
    >>>on that, or if I did I missed it)
    >>>

    >> Not very. It would be nice to be able to do it completely from DVA,
    >> but it won't let you (apparently a limitation of the Replay, not of
    >> DVA). There is the remote emulator, which helps some (real keyboard)
    >> but you still have to see the TV screen (there's much too much
    >> "relative" stuff to be able to do it "blind").
    >>
    >> I suppose you know about the undocumented "theme priority" feature?
    >> That's something I've been asking for since v1 software. They finally
    >> added it and didn't tell people. To use it, you enter "THEME PRIORITY"
    >> at the command line ("clawfoot portal") to enable it. Then you get an
    >> extra field on theme channels. Set that to 1-99. This works backward,
    >> the lowest number gives you the highest priority.

    I would like to see some comment on this.

    >>>Well.... might be nice but not having any HDTV's in the house.
    >>

    >> Some people claim that all TV will need it by 2006. It'll probably
    >> take longer.
    >>

    >Mark, you are confusing plans with what I'm doing now

    Where do you see evidence of such confusion?

    >Today I often download from the RTV to my main 1.8 GHz mini-tower
    >and then copy via the lan from the mini-tower to the laptop.
    >For some reason this is faster than downloading direct from the RTV

    The entire operation (from The time the recorded show comes on TV to
    when it's all available on your computer) should be a little slower.
    The second transfer (from DVA server to computer) will be much faster
    than the first transfer (Replay to DVA server), but you have to wait
    for BOTH to have the file available.

    >Future plans call for a second RTV, and it will sit next to a LINUX
    >server. But just now I don't have the server

    I hope you get it working.

    >And no. I won't have to type the password but one time (or two times)
    >as the computer will keep it safely encoded for me

    That's good, since a password like that would be hard to remember and
    type. Are you really THAT worried about someone else getting your
    shows, are is there going to be some other valuable data on that
    server?

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Doing some major quote back snipping here

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    (referring to doing a 2 step download (RTV->Mini Tower -> Laptop)

    > The entire operation (from The time the recorded show comes on TV to
    > when it's all available on your computer) should be a little slower.
    > The second transfer (from DVA server to computer) will be much faster
    > than the first transfer (Replay to DVA server), but you have to wait
    > for BOTH to have the file available.

    Yes, but since the Mini-Tower can download when the laptop is "off site"
    being a laptop and then the laptop can d/l when I'm sleeping, I really
    do not notice the additional time that much

    (Discussing future plans for a seriously password protected FTP server)

    > That's good, since a password like that would be hard to remember and
    > type. Are you really THAT worried about someone else getting your
    > shows, are is there going to be some other valuable data on that
    > server?

    I was a paid professional paranoid for 25 years (I'm not kidding, I
    really was paid, in part, to be paranoid about folks trying to get data
    that they were not entitled to) and it's hard to get over that

    Don't know yet what will go on that server, But use of serious passwords
    is kind of in-built into my operating system

    I'm also thinking about making it open to the Rtv show share site

    But the idea of leaving a server, which may well be a thousand miles
    from where I'm sitting, on the net "open" ..... Well, there used to be a
    bunch of 14 year old hackers who I"d ticked off big time. They should
    be adults now... But once attacked one tends to remember

    (What really ticked them off was try as they might, they could not
    succeed in gaining access to my computer It really bothered them and
    they wound up committing ssome serious crime trying... But they never
    got into my computer. Mostly because I was remoting operating a Linux
    system most of the time, with ... Well, let me put it this way.. If you
    compare a 56K modem to a 1/2 inch water hose.... The Linux box (My
    ISP's) was plugged into about a 12 foot diameter water main. So DNS
    attacks were a joke, plus I had fast acting macros to do them in. and
    my personal computer was Windows 3.1 and actually running 16 bit DOS so
    their 32 bit windows hacks ..... Did not do well at all. All the wrong
    protocols. Oh well... I was protected then, and am still believe in
    strong and NESTED firewalls. My main computer is behind 3 firewalls and
    that is just one of the protections on it since it's hooked up
    broadband, This box has multiple layers as well. I keep cleaning up
    other people's computers... Haven't had to clean mine in a long long
    long time (and back then I was still running 3.1)
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:55:24 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Doing some major quote back snipping here
    >

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >(referring to doing a 2 step download (RTV->Mini Tower -> Laptop)
    >

    >> The entire operation (from The time the recorded show comes on TV to
    >> when it's all available on your computer) should be a little slower.
    >> The second transfer (from DVA server to computer) will be much faster
    >> than the first transfer (Replay to DVA server), but you have to wait
    >> for BOTH to have the file available.
    >
    >Yes, but since the Mini-Tower can download when the laptop is "off site"
    >being a laptop and then the laptop can d/l when I'm sleeping, I really
    >do not notice the additional time that much

    OK. I get that benefit with my system. It's set up to transfer show
    shows Automatically, and I just find them on the computer.

    >(Discussing future plans for a seriously password protected FTP server)
    >

    >> That's good, since a password like that would be hard to remember and
    >> type. Are you really THAT worried about someone else getting your
    >> shows, are is there going to be some other valuable data on that
    >> server?
    >
    >I was a paid professional paranoid for 25 years (I'm not kidding, I
    >really was paid, in part, to be paranoid about folks trying to get data
    >that they were not entitled to) and it's hard to get over that
    >
    >Don't know yet what will go on that server, But use of serious passwords
    >is kind of in-built into my operating system

    OK

    >I'm also thinking about making it open to the Rtv show share site

    What? P2p?

    >But the idea of leaving a server, which may well be a thousand miles
    >from where I'm sitting, on the net "open" ..... Well, there used to be a
    >bunch of 14 year old hackers who I"d ticked off big time. They should
    >be adults now... But once attacked one tends to remember
    >
    >(What really ticked them off was try as they might, they could not
    >succeed in gaining access to my computer It really bothered them and
    >they wound up committing ssome serious crime trying... But they never
    >got into my computer. Mostly because I was remoting operating a Linux
    >system most of the time, with ... Well, let me put it this way.. If you
    >compare a 56K modem to a 1/2 inch water hose.... The Linux box (My
    >ISP's) was plugged into about a 12 foot diameter water main. So DNS
    >attacks were a joke, plus I had fast acting macros to do them in. and
    >my personal computer was Windows 3.1 and actually running 16 bit DOS so
    >their 32 bit windows hacks ..... Did not do well at all. All the wrong
    >protocols. Oh well... I was protected then, and am still believe in
    >strong and NESTED firewalls. My main computer is behind 3 firewalls and
    >that is just one of the protections on it since it's hooked up
    >broadband, This box has multiple layers as well. I keep cleaning up
    >other people's computers... Haven't had to clean mine in a long long
    >long time (and back then I was still running 3.1)

    One thing I remember, once I was running a web server from home. That
    was during the time people were having trouble with the "code red"
    worm. I could see the numerous attempts to infect my server. All
    failed, since I was not using MS software.

    Also, I get very few spyware infections. That's mainly befause of not
    opening suspicious attachments (commonly .SCR). For doing that, it
    helps to disable the "hide file extensions" thing. That's one of the
    first things I do when installing Windows (stupid default in every
    version). The firewall (software firewall) is important. Too many
    people thing they don't need a firewall (of that a router firewall is
    enough).

    I have cable internet now, and it looks like somebody tries to connect
    at least every 500mS (more often some times, that just seems to be the
    limit of the connection LED). The router log shows a lot.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > One thing I remember, once I was running a web server from home. That
    > was during the time people were having trouble with the "code red"
    > worm. I could see the numerous attempts to infect my server. All
    > failed, since I was not using MS software.
    >
    > Also, I get very few spyware infections. That's mainly befause of not
    > opening suspicious attachments (commonly .SCR). For doing that, it
    > helps to disable the "hide file extensions" thing. That's one of the
    > first things I do when installing Windows (stupid default in every
    > version). The firewall (software firewall) is important. Too many
    > people thing they don't need a firewall (of that a router firewall is
    > enough).
    >
    > I have cable internet now, and it looks like somebody tries to connect
    > at least every 500mS (more often some times, that just seems to be the
    > limit of the connection LED). The router log shows a lot.

    Steve Gibson (www.grc.com) has some interesting stories about hackers
    attacking him.

    I can't say how many E_mail viruses were delivered to me, and tossed in
    the bit bucket direct without ever de-coding from their encoded for
    transmission (MIME) form. Today I use web mail, they don't even get
    delivered, back then I was using a DOS client, it was virus proof

    But no matter how you cut it..... They are out there and they are out to
    get us. That is not paranoia. Just reality. I've cleaned up far too
    many unprotected computers
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:04:49 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> One thing I remember, once I was running a web server from home. That
    >> was during the time people were having trouble with the "code red"
    >> worm. I could see the numerous attempts to infect my server. All
    >> failed, since I was not using MS software.
    >>
    >> Also, I get very few spyware infections. That's mainly befause of not
    >> opening suspicious attachments (commonly .SCR). For doing that, it
    >> helps to disable the "hide file extensions" thing. That's one of the
    >> first things I do when installing Windows (stupid default in every
    >> version). The firewall (software firewall) is important. Too many
    >> people thing they don't need a firewall (of that a router firewall is
    >> enough).
    >>
    >> I have cable internet now, and it looks like somebody tries to connect
    >> at least every 500mS (more often some times, that just seems to be the
    >> limit of the connection LED). The router log shows a lot.
    >

    >Steve Gibson (www.grc.com) has some interesting stories about hackers
    >attacking him.

    I read that site a lot. The port security analysis is boring since I
    have a router and everything is "stealth" except for the ports used
    for my Replays, but there's interesting things there to read. That
    site is where I got the recommendation for the Linksys router.

    >I can't say how many E_mail viruses were delivered to me, and tossed in
    >the bit bucket direct without ever de-coding from their encoded for
    >transmission (MIME) form. Today I use web mail, they don't even get
    >delivered, back then I was using a DOS client, it was virus proof

    Yes, web mail is one way to protect yourself from viruses and other
    nasty stuff in email. I use another way, that is don't use a
    HTML-capable mail/news program. A good firewall helps too, if
    something manages to get by you. Don't let strange programs use port
    25 (SMTP).

    >But no matter how you cut it..... They are out there and they are out to
    >get us. That is not paranoia. Just reality. I've cleaned up far too
    >many unprotected computers

    I never understood whe way those people think, wanting to hurt
    someone. Of course, there's still a lot of that going on.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:04:49 GMT, John in Detroit

    >>But no matter how you cut it..... They are out there and they are out to
    >>get us. That is not paranoia. Just reality. I've cleaned up far too
    >>many unprotected computers
    >

    > I never understood whe way those people think, wanting to hurt
    > someone. Of course, there's still a lot of that going on.

    Well... There are two main problems with hackers

    1: They tend to be teens, and they tend to think they can get away with
    anything due to laws that generally wipe their records clean when they
    turn 18 or 21, so they do

    2: In the early days if you wanted a job as a computer security expert
    you started by hacking. Since the computer companies did not wish to
    admit that could be done they hired you instead of jailing you.

    The solution is simple. Use every available resource to track the
    hackers and once you find them hang them (in a manner of speaking) Put
    them in a nice facility without computer access of any kind. And once
    they turn 21 enjoin them from ever touching a computer of any kind
    (note, this precludes them driving, since cars today are also computers)
    and if they violate the injunction... Back to the hole w/o access.

    You got to get serious. You have to treat hacking as though it were
    mass murder, Mostly because it might be. Many hospitals use computers
    after all and hackers have already caused medical problems on occasion.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:46:58 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:04:49 GMT, John in Detroit
    >
    >>>But no matter how you cut it..... They are out there and they are out to
    >>>get us. That is not paranoia. Just reality. I've cleaned up far too
    >>>many unprotected computers
    >>

    >> I never understood whe way those people think, wanting to hurt
    >> someone. Of course, there's still a lot of that going on.
    >
    >Well... There are two main problems with hackers
    >
    >1: They tend to be teens, and they tend to think they can get away with
    >anything due to laws that generally wipe their records clean when they
    >turn 18 or 21, so they do

    Maybe so, but it still takes a bad attitute to do the kind of things
    they do.

    >2: In the early days if you wanted a job as a computer security expert
    >you started by hacking. Since the computer companies did not wish to
    >admit that could be done they hired you instead of jailing you.
    >

    >The solution is simple. Use every available resource to track the
    >hackers and once you find them hang them (in a manner of speaking) Put
    >them in a nice facility without computer access of any kind. And once
    >they turn 21 enjoin them from ever touching a computer of any kind
    >(note, this precludes them driving, since cars today are also computers)
    >and if they violate the injunction... Back to the hole w/o access.
    >
    >You got to get serious. You have to treat hacking as though it were
    >mass murder, Mostly because it might be. Many hospitals use computers
    >after all and hackers have already caused medical problems on occasion.

    You should know that "hacker" is not the proper word for this.

    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > You should know that "hacker" is not the proper word for this.

    Yes, Cracker is a better word (Hacker comes from folks who hacked into
    their OWN computers, physically that is, in order to figure out how it
    worked... I've done some of that myself, It is an honorable title, or
    was till it got hijacked by criminal crackers.

    The proper words are criminal, thief, and in some cases murder

Ptv Replaytv