Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Build
  • Systems
  • New Build
Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2014 9:40:59 AM

Hi!

For the last 6 years I've been using my trustworthy laptop (Dell Vostro 1500) for pretty much everything. Now I've decided it's time to get back in the Desktop game :)  I will use the computer mainly for gaming and plan on low to medium CPU overclocking. So I did some research and came up with the following configuration.

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (BX80646I74790K)
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling (02G-P4-2774-KR)
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB

RAM: I'm hesitating between the G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2133 C9 and 2400 C11 options. I guess if they are pretty much the same price, I should get the 2400 one. Or do you have some further suggestions?

HDD: I think I will go with either Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB or Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB. I doubt I can make a wrong choice here but it would be nice if someone has experience with any of the drives and can share it. Of course, the choice is not limited to only these two options, so if you have further suggestions, let me know. I'm not willing to spend too much on a HDD though and I doubt I'll need more than 1TB capacity on it.
Power supply: I don't know whether I should get a 650W or a 750W one. My current choices are between

• XFX XTR P1-650B-BEFX and CORSAIR HX series HX650 for 650W
  • Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M and CORSAIR HX750 for 750W

• Case: This one is where I'm just clueless. I've identified ENERMAX Ostrog GT ECA3280A-BL and Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX as possible candidates. Any further suggestions? I would like a little show but I'm not willing to spend too much on a case (about 90EUR absolute maximum).

I would also like to buy:
    Monitor: Please suggest a good widescreen monitor for up to 400 EUR. It should have adjustable height and I guess a size about 24" would be optimal. (Maybe the ASUS VG248QE?)

Any feedback is welcome!

Thank you all in advance! :) 
  • More about : suggestions opinions gaming build buying

a b 4 Gaming
    August 9, 2014 1:35:37 PM

- There is no way you will fit a 4790k into an old Z87 chip, not without a major BIOS overhaul. You need Z97.
    - The hyper 212 evo is NOT for medium overclocking, only the most basic kind where you don't even touch the voltages.
    - I'm going to assume you will be making 1080p or even 1440p gaming on your pc. For that you need more video memory, either buy the 770 4GB edition or R9 280X which is considerably cheaper.
    - If you're not planning to upgrade, xfx 650W bronze edition is completely enough
    - You don't need to spend that much money on the case. You're probably better off building a sleeper
    - For the monitor there is not much to suggest. Just make sure there is good refresh rate (75Hz or above), wide viewing angle and that its mainstream brand, none of that new cheap Korean shit.
    August 10, 2014 1:47:54 AM

Hi BigBadBeef and thank you for your feedback!

- I had checked ASRock's CPU compatibility list but didn't realize it requires a newer BIOS version. I checked for the Z97 version as well and there it says support for 4790K is from BIOS P1.30 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/?cat=CPU) Is there any way to find out what BIOS version would the motherboard come with prior to ordering?

- Based on an article I read (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review...) I thought I could do some overclocking without being too pushy, since apparently the CPU is capable of more if it is using a better-than-stock cooler.

- 1080p definitely. About 1440p I'm not that sure. Is the extra memory really necessary? Also, I like the nVidia cards better.
    - Thanks for the PSU tip.
    - I'll also take the sleeper tip.

What do you mean by "new cheap Korean stuff"?
    Related resources
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 10, 2014 3:51:18 AM

Korean monitors, never heard of? http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010024/inside-the-shado...

Video cards with more video memory have always been known to perform better at high resolutions because triple buffering has more memory to use for its operations. If you're like me and use UHD skyrim or other games with very high AA settings, then you will definetely need more vram.
    August 10, 2014 5:08:59 AM

Thanks again for all the info!