Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)

Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)

If so ..... how ???

The listing at http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html shows that the "Intelsat
Americas 6 at 93.0°W" satellite is now carrying "Classic Arts Showcase"
on a frequency of 11386 horizontal with a Symbol Rate of 7180.

The website http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/get.html does not mention
that this channel is available via satellite other than C-band.

In the past I have found the Lyngsat listings to be very accurate and
timely, but I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to pick up this
channel with my Fortec Lifetime receiver. I tried "satellite scan" and
found nothing on that frequency, but I did find a few backhaul feeds from
the hurricane damaged area of Florida plus Gene Scott's "University
Network" plus Bloomberg and a few more channels. My Fortec is a Lifetime
(pre-March '04) so I don't have the blind search feature. I also tried
the "Advanced Scan" feature by keying in the frequency mentioned on
Lyngsat but got no channel. I also tried the "Network Scan" and the
listing did not contain the "11386 H" freq .... there was a listing for
"11384 V".

The Lyngsat listing shows it to be DVB. It does not specifically say that
it is FTA but I am sure that it would be because it has always been a
FREE channel. It runs a banner periodically proclaiming that it is FREE
and will always be FREE. Of all the channels up there this is my all-time
favorite and if I could receive it on Ku-DVB-FTA, I would immediately
install a locked-down and dedicated dish and maybe even a separate
receiver just to receive this channel 24/7. Many years ago, I kept a C-
band dish dedicated to receive this channel, but growth of my neighbor's
trees has made that option impossible these days.

I am at my wit's end. I can only conclude that the Lyngsat listing is
incorrect. If anyone can receive this channel, please let me know what
type of receiver is required. Thanks .....

PON
9 answers Last reply
More about receive channel read
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)

    <SNIP>

    yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
    v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160

    it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
    clear
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "m0nkey" <allah@achtung.com> wrote in message
    > "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
    > >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
    > v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160
    >
    > it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
    > clear

    I also found Ascent Media, but... it is fully encrypted at this moment.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "m0nkey" <allah@achtung.com> wrote in news:2oc7vpF93mh6U1@uni-berlin.de:

    > "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
    >>
    ><SNIP>
    >
    > yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
    > v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160
    >
    > it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
    > clear

    ======

    Thanks for the detailed info. I will try again later on today.

    What kind of receiver are you using? If necessary, I will buy another
    receiver in order to watch that channel.

    PON
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "m0nkey" <allah@achtung.com> wrote in news:2oc7vpF93mh6U1@uni-berlin.de:

    > "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
    >>
    ><SNIP>
    >
    > yea its there, it on 11836 H 7180
    > v/a/pcr 1160/1120/1160
    >
    > it scans in as "ascent media" and scans in as encrypted signal, but its
    > clear

    ============

    OK, here is one more follow-up and I have reached a disapointing
    conclusion .... I will not be able to receive this channel at all unless
    they make some changes in the future. I will have to keep watching and
    waiting.

    I spent the last couple of hours trying and here are my results. By
    scanning the IA6 satellite, I get 17 channels. They are as follows ...

    1 CBS NEWSPATH 11711 V 14.312
    2 CBS 11727 V 3.979
    3 SATELLINK 11742 V 3.979
    4 Service 1 11834 V 3.979
    5 TV602 11865 V 20.505
    6 UNIVERSITY NETW 11865 V 3.516
    7 ABC NEWSNOW 12042 V 3.979
    8 VIDCOM PATH 1 12049 H 4.104
    9 ABSAT NYC 1 12053 V 3.979
    10 Service 1 12060 H 4.104
    11 Service 1 12085 H 4.104
    12 T6/24/CHA 12110 H 4.104
    13 MIDWEST_UPLINK 12116 H 4.104
    14 FOX NEWS 12121 H 4.104
    15 FNC/Channel 1 12126 H 4.104
    16 T6 K24 D5A FOX AI 12132 H 3.105
    17 VIDEO MAY 12173 V 3.000

    Since my receiver does not have "blind search" I manually entered the
    data that you supplied above .... freq=11836 H SR=7.180, etc. When I did
    it was possible to see a very weak signal which had a Level of 16% and a
    Quality of 0%. This tells me that it is being broadcast on a spot beam
    and that I am not in the coverage area. My exact location is near the
    spot where Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas come together at a common point.

    As I said, it is a big dissapointment but I now know the answer.

    Thanks for your assistance,

    PON
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    > Since my receiver does not have "blind search" I manually entered the
    > data that you supplied above .... freq=11836 H SR=7.180, etc. When I
    > did it was possible to see a very weak signal which had a Level of 16%
    > and a Quality of 0%. This tells me that it is being broadcast on a
    > spot beam and that I am not in the coverage area. My exact location is
    > near the spot where Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas come together at a
    > common point.
    >
    > As I said, it is a big dissapointment but I now know the answer.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance,
    >
    > PON

    ++++++++++++++

    I will make one final follow-up to this thread.

    I now notice that Lyngsat has removed this channel from its listings.

    At http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html instead of "Classic Art Showcase" the
    listing at for freq=11836H now simply says "feeds".

    And at http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html under "Classic
    Art Showcase" they only list the G1R analog signal as being available
    for this service.

    I guess it was a temporary situation and maybe I just missed it. It does
    give me a glimmer of hope that maybe they are making moves toward making
    their service available via DVD-FTA in the near future.

    PON
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote (in part):

    >I now notice that Lyngsat has removed this channel from its listings.
    >
    >At http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html instead of "Classic Art Showcase" the
    >listing at for freq=11836H now simply says "feeds".
    >
    >And at http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html under "Classic
    >Art Showcase" they only list the G1R analog signal as being available
    >for this service.
    >
    >I guess it was a temporary situation and maybe I just missed it. It does
    >give me a glimmer of hope that maybe they are making moves toward making
    >their service available via DVD-FTA in the near future.
    >
    > PON

    New York Network feeds 9 DVB channels on AMC5/16U. Some scrambled,
    some FTA. Check Lyngsat for specs. Channel 2 is a feed for NY cable
    companies that want to carry it as an educational access channel.
    They carry Classic Arts for an hour at a time several times per day,
    plus overnight on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Their typical weekly
    schedule is at http://www.nyn.suny.edu//cable/block_schedule.htm

    Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Just a thought...why don't you just get a used C-band receiver that
    you can probably get free or next to nothing by any full-service
    satellite shop? Then you can get this channel and others...
    bumblebee

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:35:56 GMT, "Pseud O. Nym"
    <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote:

    >Can anyone receive this channel?? (please read)
    >
    >If so ..... how ???
    >

    >The listing at http://www.lyngsat.com/ia6.html shows that the "Intelsat
    >Americas 6 at 93.0°W" satellite is now carrying "Classic Arts Showcase"
    >on a frequency of 11386 horizontal with a Symbol Rate of 7180.
    >
    >The website http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/get.html does not mention
    >that this channel is available via satellite other than C-band.
    >
    >In the past I have found the Lyngsat listings to be very accurate and
    >timely, but I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to pick up this
    >channel with my Fortec Lifetime receiver. I tried "satellite scan" and
    >found nothing on that frequency, but I did find a few backhaul feeds from
    >the hurricane damaged area of Florida plus Gene Scott's "University
    >Network" plus Bloomberg and a few more channels. My Fortec is a Lifetime
    >(pre-March '04) so I don't have the blind search feature. I also tried
    >the "Advanced Scan" feature by keying in the frequency mentioned on
    >Lyngsat but got no channel. I also tried the "Network Scan" and the
    >listing did not contain the "11386 H" freq .... there was a listing for
    >"11384 V".
    >
    >The Lyngsat listing shows it to be DVB. It does not specifically say that
    >it is FTA but I am sure that it would be because it has always been a
    >FREE channel. It runs a banner periodically proclaiming that it is FREE
    >and will always be FREE. Of all the channels up there this is my all-time
    >favorite and if I could receive it on Ku-DVB-FTA, I would immediately
    >install a locked-down and dedicated dish and maybe even a separate
    >receiver just to receive this channel 24/7. Many years ago, I kept a C-
    >band dish dedicated to receive this channel, but growth of my neighbor's
    >trees has made that option impossible these days.
    >
    >I am at my wit's end. I can only conclude that the Lyngsat listing is
    >incorrect. If anyone can receive this channel, please let me know what
    >type of receiver is required. Thanks .....
    >
    > PON

  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    bumblebee <crystalvideo@starband.net> wrote in

    > Just a thought...why don't you just get a used C-band receiver that
    > you can probably get free or next to nothing by any full-service
    > satellite shop? Then you can get this channel and others...
    > bumblebee

    ====

    Thanks for the comment, but it does not work in my situation.

    The satellite is to low in the western skies so that it is blocked by
    trees on my neighbor's property.

    I had a C-band satellite dish from approximately 1978-2003. In 1978 you
    could not buy C-band dishes but I knew someone in the microwave tower
    business so I was able to buy it for $250 and build my own C-band
    receiver equipment. I finally removed it and since it was a solid spun
    aluminum commercial dish I was able to find a better use for it. I turned
    it face-down and painted it green and mounted it on 8-foot poles and used
    it as a roof for a garden gazebo.

    I have another 10 foot mesh dish that was given to me but at the present
    time I have it dissassembled and stored away.

    I think that the "Classic Arts Showcase" channel will probably become
    available as a DVB channel someday. It is no longer listed on Lyngsat so
    I think that it was just a very temporary situation. Some were able to
    see it but I missed it.

    Again thank,

    PON
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    And to think some of us wouldn't even think to consider taking down our Big
    dishes -for ANY reason!

    *Almost,if not broadcast quality video (s-video on 922 is fabulous!)
    * Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Surround sound(Not messed up like the DBS
    companies often do!)
    * choice in channels,choice in programming purchase.
    * 84 movie channels(counting west feeds).Around 40 otherwise.
    * mpeg-2 dvb free to air
    * free to air 4dtv channels
    *free analog
    *wildfeeds
    * able to watch during a blinding snowstorm with the dish half full of
    snow!Try that on a Pizza dish!

    .....the list goes on....

    > bumblebee <crystalvideo@starband.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Just a thought...why don't you just get a used C-band receiver that
    > > you can probably get free or next to nothing by any full-service
    > > satellite shop? Then you can get this channel and others...
    > > bumblebee
    > >

    > ====
    >
    > Thanks for the comment, but it does not work in my situation.
    >
    > The satellite is to low in the western skies so that it is blocked by
    > trees on my neighbor's property.
    >
    > I had a C-band satellite dish from approximately 1978-2003. In 1978 you
    > could not buy C-band dishes but I knew someone in the microwave tower
    > business so I was able to buy it for $250 and build my own C-band
    > receiver equipment. I finally removed it and since it was a solid spun
    > aluminum commercial dish I was able to find a better use for it. I turned
    > it face-down and painted it green and mounted it on 8-foot poles and used
    > it as a roof for a garden gazebo.
    >
    > I have another 10 foot mesh dish that was given to me but at the present
    > time I have it dissassembled and stored away.
    >
    > I think that the "Classic Arts Showcase" channel will probably become
    > available as a DVB channel someday. It is no longer listed on Lyngsat so
    > I think that it was just a very temporary situation. Some were able to
    > see it but I missed it.
    >
    > Again thank,
    >
    > PON

    ---