LD Player Outputs

My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital tracks.
Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals like
DTS and THX? My receiver (Denon AVR-5803) has the circuitry to decode those
as well as a built-in AC-3 Demodulator.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about player outputs

    "Sonny" <sonny41@cox.net> wrote in message
    > My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital tracks.
    > Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals like
    > DTS and THX? My receiver (Denon AVR-5803) has the circuitry to decode
    those
    > as well as a built-in AC-3 Demodulator.
    >
    > Thanks

    \
    If it has a digital output already, it needs no other modification. THX is
    not a seperate sound format by the way, it is strictly a quality standard.
    No joke about it necessary, we have heard them all.

    "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message
    > > My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital
    tracks.
    > > Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals
    like
    > > DTS and THX? My receiver (Denon AVR-5803) has the circuitry to
    decode
    > those
    > > as well as a built-in AC-3 Demodulator.
    > \
    > If it has a digital output already, it needs no other modification.
    THX is
    > not a seperate sound format by the way, it is strictly a quality
    standard.
    > No joke about it necessary, we have heard them all.

    This particular player has an AC-3 output but not standard coax or
    optical digital outputs.

    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/denon/denon_la-2300/
    denon_la2300.htm

    He would need it modified for those.

    Suddenly, Sonny sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital tracks.
    > Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals like
    > DTS and THX?

    DTS was not ever encoded on Laserdisc (AFAIK), so that would be
    pointless. In a word, no.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:32:41 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> wrote:

    >Suddenly, Sonny sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >> My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital tracks.
    >> Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals like
    >> DTS and THX?
    >
    >DTS was not ever encoded on Laserdisc (AFAIK), so that would be
    >pointless. In a word, no.

    Well, my friend, here's an opposite expert to tell you you are wrong.
    There *are* LDs with DTS. Not tons, but enough. You must be new; if
    you'd lingered here for any length of time, you'd know this.

    "Aaron Lawrence" <aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, Sonny sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > > My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital
    tracks.
    > > Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals
    like
    > > DTS and THX?
    >
    > DTS was not ever encoded on Laserdisc (AFAIK), so that would be
    > pointless. In a word, no.
    > --
    > aaronl at consultant dot com
    > For every expert, there is an equal and
    > opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    Well Aaron..... I wouldn't hire you for a consultant..... DTS laserdiscs
    were made.

    So the OP-er would need to modify his Denon for digital out (optical or
    coax)...if that's possible I wouldn't know.

    Roy

    "Aaron Lawrence" <aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> wrote in message
    > DTS was not ever encoded on Laserdisc (AFAIK), so that would be
    > pointless. In a word, no.

    Here's a list of 114 DTS laserdiscs that prove you wrong:

    http://www.blamld.com/LaserDisc/dts.htm

    Sonny wrote:
    > My player (Denon LA-2300) has an AC-3 RF output for Dolby Digital tracks.
    > Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals like
    > DTS and THX? My receiver (Denon AVR-5803) has the circuitry to decode those
    > as well as a built-in AC-3 Demodulator.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you LaserDisc player had one of the following IC
    CXD1135
    CXD2500
    CXD2507
    CXD2518
    LC 78681
    LC78620/78621
    LC78630
    TC9284
    MN6626

    I could add an optical/coaxial output.
    Let me know

    >Can that player be modified some how to output other digital signals like
    >> DTS and THX

    THX is not a format/codec. It's the name of a company, owned by George Lucas
    that, among other things, provides a set of quality guidelines which
    manufacturers can choose to meet, and submit their products for THX
    Certification. There is no THX decoder.
    Steve Grauman

Laser Disc Players