I need help choosing between processors! (i5 4690k vs FX-9370)

What do you think is better? (Please post why!)

• Intel i5 4690k

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • AMD FX-9370

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

TheStuffDanDoes

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hello, I am planning on upgrading my PC soon. I specifically want to upgrade my CPU and motherboard (get a cooler). I have spent loads of time searching the internet to find the ideal processors and I have found myself stuck choosing between the i5 4690k and the FX-9370. The FX-9370 is better on paper but I have heard that the 4690k might be better, however I don't know if this is legitimate or just dumb intel fanboys... I'm hoping that someone can help me decide.

I have a budget of under £350 for a CPU, Cooler and Motherboard. I will be using my PC for a wide variety of things, mostly gaming but I will also use it for occasionally rendering video and possibly live-streaming I would love to hear some suggestions!

Thank you,
~Dan

DubbleClick

Admirable
I5 4690k.
Explanation: Draws less power, doesn't require a high end motherboard and cooler, you can overclock it to ~4.4ghz even on basic coolers (212 plus), it's overclocked performance exceeds the 9370's performance, even in multithreaded applications and it's single core performance (or in anything that uses 4 or less threads, which is most software) kicks the fx's one off the table.

Pros: Less heat, less power consumption, much stronger single core (gaming eg) performance, better price combined with mobo/cooler.

Cons: On clock speed it's multithread performance (8 threads) is a bit behind the 9370's.

For benchmarks google: I5 4690k review or 4690k vs 9370.

kolvoke

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I5 always, i built an amd machine first and i regretted building it and i wanted to go for intel just becoz of performance, if you are on a budget...then sure go amd...That combination is good, however i would go with an asus motherboard such as the asus z97m plus (Y) good reputation!

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I am an AMD fan but the FX 9*** chips are a total failure and not recommended for the average consumer. They use more than 200w of power and produce more heat than two i7 at the same time.

You could have asked FX 8350 vs i5 4670, where the two are similar in performance. (The FX being better in multi tasking and the i5 better in single core operations).

I would pick ASRock instead of MSI. Your call.

TheStuffDanDoes

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

The reason I suggested the MSI was because I like the idea of the OC genie and the software it comes with looks decent. I'm a bit of a Overclocking/Bios noob so I thought it would be good.
Should I still get the MSI, or....

DubbleClick

Admirable

Don't get your hands on auto overclocking tools. They might do quite okay by now, but you're still better off doing a manual oc. For example, reading reviews on those tools, it seems you usually get about 4.3ghz with 1.35v vcore on auto tool (4770k) but they have been able to tweak it to 4.6ghz with 1.36v vcore.

Don't worry about getting your hands dirty, as long as you follow serious oc guides and keep calm (oc'ing takes time! don't expect anything under two full days to get a half decent oc if you're new to it) you'll be on the safe side. At least a lot safer than when using those tools.

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Ehm both will work. Just make sure it have the expansion slots that you need.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Agreed on all counts. The 9370 and the 9590 especially are fast. But you need a Sabertooth R2 and a really good AIO cooler and a case with great airflow. The trade offs are too steep imho.

TheStuffDanDoes

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I think I'll go with the MSI Z97 Gaming 7. I know a few other people who have it and I've never heard bad things. It seems to have more that enough expansion available and the UEFI and included software looks ideal for me. Thanks!

Welshstig

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
The Xeon 1230v is much better than the i5 in my opinion as it has the same speeds and hyper threading so any heavy workloads like rendering or such, it will perform better.

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
You are right, there are no reasons choosing the i5 over the E3 1230 V3 other than the iGPU or the overclocking if its a K module.

A Xeon also equals to higher manufacture quality (server grade bin).
This is why I am recommending it all the time in these forums.