how many satellites

Hi,
I got KU band LBN(and Dish), motor and FTA receiver. I live in north
Texas. I currently can find two satellites, AMC4 and telstar 5.
I am wondering how mnay satellites I can reliablly point to with my
system in the area I live.
Thanks,
11 answers Last reply
More about satellites
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    did you change the lnb? it should have a linear lnb on it. dish uses
    circular. your success would be much better with the proper lnb.

    "Ask" <ask8y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I got KU band LBN(and Dish), motor and FTA receiver. I live in north
    > Texas. I currently can find two satellites, AMC4 and telstar 5.
    > I am wondering how mnay satellites I can reliablly point to with my
    > system in the area I live.
    > Thanks,
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    kilmister wrote:
    > did you change the lnb? it should have a linear lnb on it. dish uses
    > circular. your success would be much better with the proper lnb.
    >

    > "Ask" <ask8y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I got KU band LBN(and Dish), motor and FTA receiver. I live in north
    >>Texas. I currently can find two satellites, AMC4 and telstar 5.
    >>I am wondering how mnay satellites I can reliablly point to with my
    >>system in the area I live.
    >>Thanks,

    If he's getting AMC 4 and Telstar 5 more than likely he has a linear LNB
    on it.

    In answer to your questing check with http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

    for all the KU satellites (they're colored yellow and green). You can
    eliminate the ones labeled Nimiq, DirectTV and Echostar. Depending on
    what kind of view you have to the eastern horizon you probably won't get
    the ones at 61.5 and 63 degrees. For the most part you should be able
    to get the rest.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA
    --
    Mathematical fact: 50% of people have below average intelligence.

    - P. J. O'Rourke
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Ask" <ask8y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I got KU band LBN(and Dish), motor and FTA receiver. I live in north
    > Texas. I currently can find two satellites, AMC4 and telstar 5.
    > I am wondering how mnay satellites I can reliablly point to with my
    > system in the area I live.
    > Thanks,

    i live in san antonio, tx and i can get everything my motor can rotate to, i
    get pas9 @58W - telstat 7 @ 129W,
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    That's what I got:
    BEC DBS2000 Satellite Receiver
    SG2100 Satellite Motor
    WS7630 Satellite Dish Antenna

    From www.lyngsat.com, it seems that I should receive a lot of
    satellites. I am just wondering if it depends where I live.

    Rich Piehl <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message news:<10i2ldh5qh8he1b@corp.supernews.com>...
    > kilmister wrote:
    > > did you change the lnb? it should have a linear lnb on it. dish uses
    > > circular. your success would be much better with the proper lnb.
    > >

    > > "Ask" <ask8y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>I got KU band LBN(and Dish), motor and FTA receiver. I live in north
    > >>Texas. I currently can find two satellites, AMC4 and telstar 5.
    > >>I am wondering how mnay satellites I can reliablly point to with my
    > >>system in the area I live.
    > >>Thanks,
    > >

    > If he's getting AMC 4 and Telstar 5 more than likely he has a linear LNB
    > on it.
    >
    > In answer to your questing check with http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
    >
    > for all the KU satellites (they're colored yellow and green). You can
    > eliminate the ones labeled Nimiq, DirectTV and Echostar. Depending on
    > what kind of view you have to the eastern horizon you probably won't get
    > the ones at 61.5 and 63 degrees. For the most part you should be able
    > to get the rest.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Rich
    >
    > God bless the USA
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Have you tried peaking your dish az/el with a satellite finder meter? And
    have you set the skew accurately?

    ask8y@yahoo.com (Ask) wrote in message news:<6a8918d.0408170608.4b8b0c4e@posting.google.com>...
    > That's what I got:
    > BEC DBS2000 Satellite Receiver
    > SG2100 Satellite Motor
    > WS7630 Satellite Dish Antenna
    >
    > From www.lyngsat.com, it seems that I should receive a lot of
    > satellites. I am just wondering if it depends where I live.
    >

    > Rich Piehl <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message news:<10i2ldh5qh8he1b@corp.supernews.com>...
    > > kilmister wrote:
    > > > did you change the lnb? it should have a linear lnb on it. dish uses
    > > > circular. your success would be much better with the proper lnb.
    > > >

    > > > "Ask" <ask8y@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > If he's getting AMC 4 and Telstar 5 more than likely he has a linear LNB
    > > on it.
    > >
    > > In answer to your questing check with http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
    > >
    > > for all the KU satellites (they're colored yellow and green). You can
    > > eliminate the ones labeled Nimiq, DirectTV and Echostar. Depending on
    > > what kind of view you have to the eastern horizon you probably won't get
    > > the ones at 61.5 and 63 degrees. For the most part you should be able
    > > to get the rest.
    > >
    > > Take care,
    > > Rich
    > >
    > > God bless the USA
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Ask wrote:
    > That's what I got:
    > BEC DBS2000 Satellite Receiver
    > SG2100 Satellite Motor
    > WS7630 Satellite Dish Antenna
    >
    > From www.lyngsat.com, it seems that I should receive a lot of
    > satellites. I am just wondering if it depends where I live.

    In north Texas, barring some obstacle between your dish and the Clarke
    belt, you should get just about all of those mentioned for North
    America, except perhaps the farthest eastern ones.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    Mathematical fact: 50% of people have below average intelligence.

    - P. J. O'Rourke
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On 16 Aug 2004 11:44:13 -0700, ask8y@yahoo.com (Ask) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I got KU band LBN(and Dish), motor and FTA receiver. I live in north
    >Texas. I currently can find two satellites, AMC4 and telstar 5.
    >I am wondering how mnay satellites I can reliablly point to with my
    >system in the area I live.
    >Thanks,

    About twenty or so.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    What is az/el ?
    rose122550DONTSPAM@yahoo.com (rose) wrote in message news:<c9aa14bb.0408171548.780df5d1@posting.google.com>...
    > Have you tried peaking your dish az/el with a satellite finder meter? And
    > have you set the skew accurately?
    >
    > ask8y@yahoo.com (Ask) wrote in message news:<6a8918d.0408170608.4b8b0c4e@posting.google.com>...
    > > That's what I got:
    > > BEC DBS2000 Satellite Receiver
    > > SG2100 Satellite Motor
    > > WS7630 Satellite Dish Antenna
    > >
    > > From www.lyngsat.com, it seems that I should receive a lot of
    > > satellites. I am just wondering if it depends where I live.
    > >

    > > Rich Piehl <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message news:<10i2ldh5qh8he1b@corp.supernews.com>...

    > > > If he's getting AMC 4 and Telstar 5 more than likely he has a linear LNB
    > > > on it.
    > > >
    > > > In answer to your questing check with http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
    > > >
    > > > for all the KU satellites (they're colored yellow and green). You can
    > > > eliminate the ones labeled Nimiq, DirectTV and Echostar. Depending on
    > > > what kind of view you have to the eastern horizon you probably won't get
    > > > the ones at 61.5 and 63 degrees. For the most part you should be able
    > > > to get the rest.
    > > >
    > > > Take care,
    > > > Rich
    > > >
    > > > God bless the USA
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    azimuth/elevation (in degrees)

    ask8y@yahoo.com (Ask) wrote in message news:<6a8918d.0408180734.1446c091@posting.google.com>...
    > What is az/el ?
    > rose122550DONTSPAM@yahoo.com (rose) wrote in message news:<c9aa14bb.0408171548.780df5d1@posting.google.com>...
    > > Have you tried peaking your dish az/el with a satellite finder meter? And
    > > have you set the skew accurately?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    azimuth/elevation (in degrees)

    ask8y@yahoo.com (Ask) wrote in message news:<6a8918d.0408180734.1446c091@posting.google.com>...
    > What is az/el ?
    > rose122550DONTSPAM@yahoo.com (rose) wrote in message news:<c9aa14bb.0408171548.780df5d1@posting.google.com>...
    > > Have you tried peaking your dish az/el with a satellite finder meter? And
    > > have you set the skew accurately?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Azimuth (compass direction) and EL(Elevation):

    the direction to point the dish to get the satellite from your location and
    the angle to tilt the dish at.

    There are various online calculators around the net for this.

    ---

MPEG DVB Video