dumb laserdisc question

Hi all,

Sorry for this probably elemental question: On some laserdiscs i've
purchased I'm seeing a great deal of white speckles flashing all about the
screen. Sometimes they'll be most prevalent on one side of a disc, but not
on the other. I've tried cleaning the discs, but it doesn't seem to make a
difference. Defective discs, dirt, or player defect?

cheers,
paz
4 answers Last reply
More about dumb laserdisc question

    paz wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Sorry for this probably elemental question: On some laserdiscs i've
    > purchased I'm seeing a great deal of white speckles flashing all about the
    > screen. Sometimes they'll be most prevalent on one side of a disc, but not
    > on the other. I've tried cleaning the discs, but it doesn't seem to make a
    > difference. Defective discs, dirt, or player defect?
    >
    > cheers,
    > paz
    It's called "Laser Rot". The disc will gradually get worse until it is
    unplayable.

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:02:10 GMT, xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net wrote:

    >paz wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Sorry for this probably elemental question: On some laserdiscs i've
    >> purchased I'm seeing a great deal of white speckles flashing all about the
    >> screen. Sometimes they'll be most prevalent on one side of a disc, but not
    >> on the other. I've tried cleaning the discs, but it doesn't seem to make a
    >> difference. Defective discs, dirt, or player defect?
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> paz
    >It's called "Laser Rot". The disc will gradually get worse until it is
    >unplayable.

    Either a disc fails within two years, or seems to go ten years then
    quickly reach a certain level of failure, but I've not known it to
    still be progressing at this point in laserdiscs' history.

    ... Steve ..

    paz wrote:

    > Defective discs, dirt, or player defect?

    Classic case of laser disc "rot" it sound like,
    try here...

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FAQ/

    .... and click on the section 11.2 link.

    drc :)

    >On some laserdiscs i've
    >purchased I'm seeing a great deal of white speckles flashing all about the
    >screen.

    This is probably inclusion noise or crosstalk interference due to a disc
    defect.
    What are the titles of the discs and the video distributor? Also, if possible,
    give us the mint markings on the discs themselves, located on the
    mirror-looking part of the disc next to the label.

    Laser rot usually manifests itself as blue and red speckles all over the
    screen.

    I'm willing to bet that the discs in question were made by Technidisc, although
    it is also possible that the discs could have been made by Mitsubishi Plastics,
    Pioneer LDCA, or 3M. - Reinhart

Laser Disc Players Video