Episodes not recording

I like the old show "7 Days". It comes on Spike on weekdays at noon. My
ReplayTV records it faithfully. Usually.

Yesterday they showed the pilot. This is an episode that's eluded me for
ever. But the pilot was a two-hour episode, so they only showed the first
half.

The second half came on this afternoon, but my ReplayTV did not record it.

I also noticed that it didn't record an episode of a different show that
came on last night. That didn't bother me because it was an episode I
already had saved on the device.

Then it occurred to me that today's episode had the same episode name
("Pilot") as yesterday's episode.

So my first question is: Does the ReplayTV check episode name before
recording? That would explain what I've seen.

The next question is: Who do I complain to? I pay a monthly fee to be
able to record all the episodes or my shows. They let me down.
16 answers Last reply
More about episodes recording

    > Then it occurred to me that today's episode had the same episode name
    > ("Pilot") as yesterday's episode.
    >
    > So my first question is: Does the ReplayTV check episode name before
    > recording? That would explain what I've seen.

    On Replay channels yes, theme channels no.

    > The next question is: Who do I complain to? I pay a monthly fee to be
    > able to record all the episodes or my shows. They let me down.

    Nobody. They can't help it if you don't know how to use the unit.

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:51:39 -0400, Tony D wrote:

    >> The next question is: Who do I complain to? I pay a monthly fee to be
    >> able to record all the episodes or my shows. They let me down.
    >
    > Nobody. They can't help it if you don't know how to use the unit.

    Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    complete information. If I follow the instructions that say
    "To record multiple episodes of a show", and the instructions say that
    "This will record the selected show everyday of the week, every week, only
    on that channel, and in that time slot," then I have the right to expect
    that the show will be recorded every day of the week, regardless of the
    episode name.

    No where in my user's guide does it say "unless there are two episodes
    with the same name". No where does it indicate that a "Replay channel"
    will act differently from a Theme-based channel in this regard. So how is
    it my responsibility to be aware of all the unit's "undocumented features"?

    I purchased the unit and service based on based on advertising claims. I
    operated the unit in accordance with the instructions, and it did not
    perform as advertised. Unless I'm missing something (always a
    possibility as I am, indeed, human) I do, indeed, have the basis of a
    legitimate complaint.

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:11:48 GMT, jpg
    <news.group.snowgen@recursor.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:51:39 -0400, Tony D wrote:
    >
    >>> The next question is: Who do I complain to? I pay a monthly fee to be
    >>> able to record all the episodes or my shows. They let me down.
    >>
    >> Nobody. They can't help it if you don't know how to use the unit.
    >
    >Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    >complete information. If I follow the instructions that say
    >"To record multiple episodes of a show", and the instructions say that
    >"This will record the selected show everyday of the week, every week, only
    >on that channel, and in that time slot," then I have the right to expect
    >that the show will be recorded every day of the week, regardless of the
    >episode name.
    >
    >No where in my user's guide does it say "unless there are two episodes
    >with the same name".

    Then they would be in different time slots. That's one of the
    advantages of theme channels. They record all shows with that same
    name, regardless of channel or time.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    So return it.

    jpg wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:51:39 -0400, Tony D wrote:
    >
    >>> The next question is: Who do I complain to? I pay a monthly fee to be
    >>> able to record all the episodes or my shows. They let me down.
    >>
    >> Nobody. They can't help it if you don't know how to use the unit.
    >
    > Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    > complete information.

    While I agree with you that the instructions could be better. What
    instructions could not? However if you really want to get the most out of
    any tool, you read the whole book and then check to see if there is more
    information available. In the long run it saves time..

    I have spent many years explaining to computer users, that there is a
    much better way of doing things, but they never knew it because, even though
    the computer was a large part of their job and their employer offered free
    training, they never bothered to take the training.

    Often the response is "Why didn't someone tell me that years ago."

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:03:35 GMT, Joseph Meehan
    <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > jpg wrote:

    >>> Nobody. They can't help it if you don't know how to use the unit.
    >>
    >> Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    >> complete information.
    >
    > While I agree with you that the instructions could be better. What
    > instructions could not? However if you really want to get the most out
    > of
    > any tool, you read the whole book and then check to see if there is more
    > information available. In the long run it saves time..
    >
    > I have spent many years explaining to computer users, that there is a
    > much better way of doing things, but they never knew it because, even
    > though
    > the computer was a large part of their job and their employer offered
    > free
    > training, they never bothered to take the training.
    >
    > Often the response is "Why didn't someone tell me that years ago."

    I'm an electrical engineer, and I haven't found the Replay to be very
    intuitive. Many times, I have no idea what's going to get replaced and
    what isn't, what's going to record and what's not, etc. For instance, if
    a show is about to record and there's no space, which show will get
    deleted?

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    Bob in CT wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:03:35 GMT, Joseph Meehan
    > <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> jpg wrote:

    >>> Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    >>> complete information.
    >>

    >> While I agree with you that the instructions could be better. What
    >> instructions could not? However if you really want to get the most
    >> out of
    >> any tool, you read the whole book and then check to see if there is more
    >> information available. In the long run it saves time..
    >>
    >> I have spent many years explaining to computer users, that there is a
    >> much better way of doing things, but they never knew it because, even
    >> though
    >> the computer was a large part of their job and their employer offered
    >> free
    >> training, they never bothered to take the training.
    >>
    >> Often the response is "Why didn't someone tell me that years ago."
    >>

    > I'm an electrical engineer, and I haven't found the Replay to be very
    > intuitive. Many times, I have no idea what's going to get replaced and
    > what isn't, what's going to record and what's not, etc. For instance,
    > if a show is about to record and there's no space, which show will get
    > deleted?

    That is a good question but one assumes the oldest, Either the oldest
    show on the drive, or the oldest episode of that show, but to tell the
    truth I dont' know which

    jpg wrote:
    > I like the old show "7 Days". It comes on Spike on weekdays at noon. My
    > ReplayTV records it faithfully. Usually.
    > Yesterday they showed the pilot. This is an episode that's eluded me for
    > ever. But the pilot was a two-hour episode, so they only showed the first
    > half.
    > The second half came on this afternoon, but my ReplayTV did not record it.

    Be patient, you'll get another chance. I watched all the "7 Days" reruns
    earlier this year. In the span of a few months, I saw the 2-part "Pilot"
    probably 3 times in that period.

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:03:35 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >jpg wrote:

    >>> Nobody. They can't help it if you don't know how to use the unit.
    >>
    >> Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    >> complete information.
    >
    > While I agree with you that the instructions could be better. What
    >instructions could not? However if you really want to get the most out of
    >any tool, you read the whole book and then check to see if there is more
    >information available. In the long run it saves time..

    I mostly didn't need the manual to set it up, but read the whole thing
    anyway.

    > I have spent many years explaining to computer users, that there is a
    >much better way of doing things, but they never knew it because, even though
    >the computer was a large part of their job and their employer offered free
    >training, they never bothered to take the training.
    >
    > Often the response is "Why didn't someone tell me that years ago."

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Bob in CT wrote:

    > I'm an electrical engineer, and I haven't found the Replay to be very
    > intuitive. Many times, I have no idea what's going to get replaced and
    > what isn't, what's going to record and what's not, etc. For instance, if
    > a show is about to record and there's no space, which show will get
    > deleted?

    It appears from my manual that nothing will be recorded and nothing will
    be deleted. I did not check, but I believe that if a recording is
    "guaranteed" it will reserve space so it will not have that problem, but it
    also means you can't use that space for anything else before it records.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:03:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Bob in CT wrote:
    >

    >> I'm an electrical engineer, and I haven't found the Replay to be very
    >> intuitive. Many times, I have no idea what's going to get replaced and
    >> what isn't, what's going to record and what's not, etc. For instance, if
    >> a show is about to record and there's no space, which show will get
    >> deleted?
    >
    > It appears from my manual that nothing will be recorded and nothing will
    >be deleted. I did not check, but I believe that if a recording is
    >"guaranteed" it will reserve space so it will not have that problem, but it
    >also means you can't use that space for anything else before it records.

    It makes sure the space is available for a guaranteed show, but does
    not limit the recording of non-guaranteed shows because of it. When
    the guaranteed show comes on, one of more shows may need to be deleted
    to make room for it.

    On a 5080, you can have a maximum of 80 hours of guaranteed shows. It
    you set that many, you will not be able to program any more guaranteed
    shows, but will still be able to fill all 80 hours with non-guaranteed
    shows. If at that point, one of the guaranteed shows comes on, one or
    more non-guaranteed ones will be deleted to make room.

    The "reserved space" is virtual at the time of the reservation (the
    Replay just keeps a count of how much space is reserved, and won't let
    you reserve any more than is available). The virtual space doesn't
    become actual until the recording is made.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Yes, they can. They can help it by providing operator instructions with
    > complete information. If I follow the instructions that say
    > "To record multiple episodes of a show", and the instructions say that
    > "This will record the selected show everyday of the week, every week, only
    > on that channel, and in that time slot," then I have the right to expect
    > that the show will be recorded every day of the week, regardless of the
    > episode name.
    >
    > No where in my user's guide does it say "unless there are two episodes
    > with the same name". No where does it indicate that a "Replay channel"
    > will act differently from a Theme-based channel in this regard. So how is
    > it my responsibility to be aware of all the unit's "undocumented features"?

    The differences between Replay and Theme channels are quite fully stated
    in the manual and in the addendum for V5.1 software. Since you set up a
    Replay channel, a look at the guide would have showed you the shows that
    were scheduled to record.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > I'm an electrical engineer, and I haven't found the Replay to be very
    > intuitive. Many times, I have no idea what's going to get replaced and
    > what isn't, what's going to record and what's not, etc. For instance,
    > if a show is about to record and there's no space, which show will get
    > deleted?

    Shows about to be deleted show gray in the guide. The "rules" for
    recordings are extremely simple:

    Replay shows have priority
    In a conflict, the last set up channel wins
    Themes come next, the newest having priority unless theme priority is
    set up.

    Replay channels scheduled to record are marked with red indicators in
    the guide.

    All you have to do is look or use DVArchive.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:22:51 GMT, John in Detroit spoketh

    >That is a good question but one assumes the oldest, Either the oldest
    >show on the drive, or the oldest episode of that show, but to tell the
    >truth I dont' know which

    It really depends which will be deleted.

    If you have created a theme or replay channel to hold a specific number
    of shows or hours, lets say two shows (or two hours) for the sake of
    argument. If you have already recorded two shows (or hours), and are
    about to record another episode of this show, then the oldest episode
    will be deleted to make room for the new recording.

    If there's still room for another episode in the channel, but no time
    left on the unit, then the oldest recording will be deleted, unless this
    recording have been set to "keep until I delete", in which case the
    second oldest recording will be deleted. If the new show are longer than
    then one being deleted, then the next show on the list will be deleted
    to make room.

    You can easily see which shows are on the list to be deleted by going to
    the Replay Guide and scroll through All Shows. Shows that are on the
    list to be deleted to make room for new shows are shown in gray, and
    they are also numbered "show 1" through "show 3", where "show 1" are the
    first to be deleted...

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:22:48 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko spoketh

    >Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
    >: On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:22:51 GMT, John in Detroit spoketh
    >
    >:>That is a good question but one assumes the oldest, Either the oldest
    >:>show on the drive, or the oldest episode of that show, but to tell the
    >:>truth I dont' know which
    >
    >: It really depends which will be deleted.
    >
    >: If you have created a theme or replay channel to hold a specific number
    >: of shows or hours, lets say two shows (or two hours) for the sake of
    >: argument. If you have already recorded two shows (or hours), and are
    >: about to record another episode of this show, then the oldest episode
    >: will be deleted to make room for the new recording.
    >
    >Maybe. Maybe not. I was part of a thread on the AVS Forums, and I was
    >informed that shows in a THEME channel will NOT be deleted unless they are
    >more than 24 hours old.
    >
    >This situation usually occurs when your THEME channel is trying to record
    >a 10 episode marathon.
    >
    >If this situation occurs, namely, the shows in your THEME channel are NOT
    >more than 24 hours old, the Replay will NOT record that THEME show.
    >
    >-Doug

    I've never tried recording a 10 hour marathon, but if you were to do
    this, wouldn't you want to set aside enough space to hold it all???

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:6LGdnVKViOMI7oPcRVn-
    iw@comcast.com:

    >> I'm an electrical engineer, and I haven't found the Replay to be very
    >> intuitive. Many times, I have no idea what's going to get replaced
    and
    >> what isn't, what's going to record and what's not, etc. For
    instance,
    >> if a show is about to record and there's no space, which show will
    get
    >> deleted?

    Despite arguments about right-brain or left-brain people and
    characteristics, your professional disposition doesn't have much to do
    with whether you can operate something with a UI - unless you and the
    designer think alike.

    I can build entire networks, but have trouble with the ATM from my bank
    <g>

    > Shows about to be deleted show gray in the guide. The "rules" for
    > recordings are extremely simple:

    Tony obivously has newer software than I, probably a 5xxx or 55xx model.
    I have two 45xx's and never see any recorded shows listed in gray. I
    also use Show channels mostly, so when a new episode comes on it will
    record X number of episodes and then if needed purge the oldest and
    record the new.

    Themes work differently, and i usually have them as non-guaranteed to
    catch any major shifting of the schedule.

    > Replay shows have priority
    > In a conflict, the last set up channel wins
    > Themes come next, the newest having priority unless theme priority is
    > set up.

    Last setup channel wins? I thought the first setup wins? Hmmm....
    maybe it was changed in later software versions.

    > Replay channels scheduled to record are marked with red indicators in
    > the guide.
    >
    > All you have to do is look or use DVArchive.

    Excellent point here, use DVA or MyTelly to download your own
    personalized TV Show data, then DVA will show what is scheduled to
    record in the near future and mark out any conflicts and which shows
    win.

Ptv Replaytv Video ReplayTV