Interest

Seems like more people are dumping the small dish and cable to go back to
the big dish.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the falling C-band subscriber numbers level
off and maybe even rise some.

Greg O.
8 answers Last reply
More about interest
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Don't know the source of your info, but I assume it to be true.

    Just think how many more folks would dump Dishnet, DirectTV and
    cable if the C-band suppliers would move to Ku band where the
    hardware is not such a problem. I would be over there in the
    proverbial heartbeat.

    I understand a new Ku bird to be launched this fall (?) for a
    slot near 105 will offer the space for such a thing if the
    suppliers don't get cold feet.

    I for one would love to have ala carte (sp?) available from
    Ku (even in 4DTV format.) Like everyone else on D, D or cable,
    having to subscribe to 50 to 200 channels to get the 10 or 15
    I watch (at last count) is appalling and absurb.

    Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me again?

    phil (I only have a little one...)

    "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

    > Seems like more people are dumping the small dish and cable to
    >
    > I wouldn't be surprised to see the falling C-band subscriber
    > numbers level off and maybe even rise some.
    >
    > Greg O.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:47:34 -0500, Phil <philj@xxspearnet.net> wrote:

    >Don't know the source of your info, but I assume it to be true.
    >
    >Just think how many more folks would dump Dishnet, DirectTV and
    >cable if the C-band suppliers would move to Ku band where the
    >hardware is not such a problem. I would be over there in the
    >proverbial heartbeat.
    >
    >I understand a new Ku bird to be launched this fall (?) for a
    >slot near 105 will offer the space for such a thing if the
    >suppliers don't get cold feet.

    It won't offer the bandwidth of the C-band arc, and there won't be
    any buisness incentive to uplink channels up to a Ku satellite
    exclusively for home subscribers. You have to remember the purpose of
    C-band is not to get home subscribers, but to deliver to broadcasters
    and cable companies. One Ku slot won't help their purpose.

    >I for one would love to have ala carte (sp?) available from
    >Ku (even in 4DTV format.) Like everyone else on D, D or cable,
    >having to subscribe to 50 to 200 channels to get the 10 or 15
    >I watch (at last count) is appalling and absurb.
    >
    >Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me again?
    >
    >phil (I only have a little one...)

    Just you.

    >"Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Seems like more people are dumping the small dish and cable to
    >>
    >> I wouldn't be surprised to see the falling C-band subscriber
    >> numbers level off and maybe even rise some.
    >>
    >> Greg O.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in

    > It won't offer the bandwidth of the C-band arc, and there won't
    > be any buisness incentive to uplink channels up to a Ku
    > satellite exclusively for home subscribers. You have to remember
    > the purpose of C-band is not to get home subscribers, but to
    > deliver to broadcasters and cable companies. One Ku slot won't
    > help their purpose.

    Actually, the point I guess I failed to adequately make was that
    I think many people don't like to pay the cost of a Dishnet or
    DirectTV subscription which gets many channels, but a relatively
    small percentage of interest to that subscriber. It is my opinion
    that a sufficient number of customers who would like ala carte
    service exist to provide a business that could compete with those
    two providers. I was not really commenting about the "purpose of
    C band". When the big two started, the "purpose of Ku band" was not
    direct delivery of media to the end user either, but they made a
    market and now reap its profit. Perhaps a clever entrepreneur
    (why are all the nifty words hard to spell?) could make his
    fortune in that...

    I also hinted at the idea that I preferred Ku band equipment to
    C band equipment. I did not specify that that is because of the
    size of the dish and of course, I should have. Many of us
    don't have the room or don't care for the way it looks in the yard.

    > Just you.

    Maybe so, but it is my own little opinion.

    phil (and I still only have a little one...)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:27:25 -0500, Phil <philj@xxspearnet.net> wrote:

    >Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in
    >
    >> It won't offer the bandwidth of the C-band arc, and there won't
    >> be any buisness incentive to uplink channels up to a Ku
    >> satellite exclusively for home subscribers. You have to remember
    >> the purpose of C-band is not to get home subscribers, but to
    >> deliver to broadcasters and cable companies. One Ku slot won't
    >> help their purpose.
    >
    >Actually, the point I guess I failed to adequately make was that
    >I think many people don't like to pay the cost of a Dishnet or
    >DirectTV subscription which gets many channels, but a relatively
    >small percentage of interest to that subscriber. It is my opinion
    >that a sufficient number of customers who would like ala carte
    >service exist to provide a business that could compete with those
    >two providers. I was not really commenting about the "purpose of
    >C band". When the big two started, the "purpose of Ku band" was not

    >direct delivery of media to the end user either, but they made a
    >market and now reap its profit. Perhaps a clever entrepreneur
    >(why are all the nifty words hard to spell?) could make his
    >fortune in that...

    To make an Alacarte Ku pay system work is next to impossible. You need
    channels and quantitiy, neither which you'd get Ala-Carte (you'd get
    some customers, but importantly, the broadcasters would not want to be
    part of an Alacarte system). If you want to put your money in
    something, I'd say come up with a home PowerVu system like the DSR905.
    Another concept may be the Canadain DTH style packages.

    >I also hinted at the idea that I preferred Ku band equipment to
    >C band equipment. I did not specify that that is because of the
    >size of the dish and of course, I should have. Many of us
    >don't have the room or don't care for the way it looks in the yard.

    And that is that. If you don't want to (or cannot for whatever
    reasons) play the C-band game and reap the rewards thereof, that is
    not the problem of the real users of C-band, but basically yours.

    >> Just you.
    >>

    >Maybe so, but it is my own little opinion.
    >

    >phil (and I still only have a little one...)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I would hope that you are right...............for the money the BUD has so
    much more to offer.
    Last time speaking with Superstar, it was brought up in the conversation
    that they are doing alot of new hiring.
    Jim

    "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Seems like more people are dumping the small dish and cable to go back to
    > the big dish.
    >
    > I wouldn't be surprised to see the falling C-band subscriber numbers level
    > off and maybe even rise some.
    >
    > Greg O.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Gary,

    What is the Canadian DTH style package? I have never heard
    of that.

    When you say not channels are not available do you mean
    the transponders are nearly all spoken for?

    Also, you threw me there on the PowerVu / DSR905. I have
    a DSR905 Sidecar and a PowerVu 9834 but I didn't follow
    your idea on that. (I need a replacement remote for the
    9834 if anyone has an extra, by the way.)

    I have a C band in the yard and it is still ugly...
    and I still wish I could get alacarte on Ku, digicipher,
    DVMPEG or whatever... Check out the SES site where they
    say the upcoming bird is for that sort of thing.
    And believe it or not, on the way home from work today NPR had
    a news item about a senator from Georgia (I think) who was
    pushing a bill requiring alacarte on cable--says the providers
    (including Viacom of Janet Jackson fame) are using large
    programming packages to exploit customers and propagate
    off-color programming. Oh well.

    Thanks for your info. Always like to follow your posts
    in the groups.

    phil (wish I only had a little one)

    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:27:25 -0500, Phil <philj@xxspearnet.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in
    >>
    >>> It won't offer the bandwidth of the C-band arc, and there
    >>> won't be any buisness incentive to uplink channels up to a Ku
    >>> satellite exclusively for home subscribers. You have to
    >>> remember the purpose of C-band is not to get home subscribers,
    >>> but to deliver to broadcasters and cable companies. One Ku
    >>> slot won't help their purpose.
    >>
    >>Actually, the point I guess I failed to adequately make was that
    >>I think many people don't like to pay the cost of a Dishnet or
    >>DirectTV subscription which gets many channels, but a relatively
    >>small percentage of interest to that subscriber. It is my
    >>opinion that a sufficient number of customers who would like ala
    >>carte service exist to provide a business that could compete
    >>with those two providers. I was not really commenting about the
    >>"purpose of C band". When the big two started, the "purpose of
    >>Ku band" was not
    >

    >>direct delivery of media to the end user either, but they made a
    >>market and now reap its profit. Perhaps a clever entrepreneur
    >>(why are all the nifty words hard to spell?) could make his
    >>fortune in that...
    >>

    > To make an Alacarte Ku pay system work is next to impossible.
    > You need channels and quantitiy, neither which you'd get
    > Ala-Carte (you'd get some customers, but importantly, the
    > broadcasters would not want to be part of an Alacarte system).
    > If you want to put your money in something, I'd say come up with
    > a home PowerVu system like the DSR905. Another concept may be
    > the Canadain DTH style packages.
    >
    >>I also hinted at the idea that I preferred Ku band equipment to
    >>C band equipment. I did not specify that that is because of the
    >>size of the dish and of course, I should have. Many of us
    >>don't have the room or don't care for the way it looks in the
    >>yard.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:50:42 -0500, Phil <philj@xxspearnet.net> wrote:

    >Gary,
    >
    >What is the Canadian DTH style package? I have never heard
    >of that.

    Basically it is a group of 5-10 channels in a package. The package
    sells for $6.99 or so, and is somewhat thematically "built".
    You get a better deal if you buy an overpackage, where you can choose
    what packages you like from their lineup, and any packages you want
    you add to that price.

    I have Silver, wich gives me Essentials (you have to get anyway, you
    cannot just buy cable channels in Canada, which is essentially mostly
    locals and a small handfull of basic cable channels), a 3 packages. I
    have a couple Pick and pay. channels, which Starchoice began to offer
    the new digitial cable channels that came in Sept 2001, and recently a
    couple previous cable channels.

    >When you say not channels are not available do you mean
    >the transponders are nearly all spoken for?

    If you have money, you can always get transponder space. When I say
    you won't have enough channels for an Alacarte service, that enough,
    broacdasters, or at least the key ones, would decline to participate
    in such a venture.

    >Also, you threw me there on the PowerVu / DSR905. I have
    >a DSR905 Sidecar and a PowerVu 9834 but I didn't follow
    >your idea on that. (I need a replacement remote for the
    >9834 if anyone has an extra, by the way.)

    Basically the 9834 is a single service receiver (IMO the equivalent of
    the GI 4200 receiver). Any receiver that would be suitable for home
    C-band would have to be able to store many channels, and be able
    maintain the authorisation for numerous channels. I believe it would
    also take a slight redo of the uplinks as well, to accomodate a
    consumer authorisation stream .

    >I have a C band in the yard and it is still ugly...
    >and I still wish I could get alacarte on Ku, digicipher,
    >DVMPEG or whatever... Check out the SES site where they
    >say the upcoming bird is for that sort of thing.

    Last I heard, that bird was to provide an international service, not
    anything providing "domestic" cable channels.

    >And believe it or not, on the way home from work today NPR had
    >a news item about a senator from Georgia (I think) who was
    >pushing a bill requiring alacarte on cable--says the providers
    >(including Viacom of Janet Jackson fame) are using large
    >programming packages to exploit customers and propagate
    >off-color programming. Oh well.
    >
    >Thanks for your info. Always like to follow your posts
    >in the groups.
    >
    >phil (wish I only had a little one)
    >

    >> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:27:25 -0500, Phil <philj@xxspearnet.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in

    >>>Actually, the point I guess I failed to adequately make was that
    >>>I think many people don't like to pay the cost of a Dishnet or
    >>>DirectTV subscription which gets many channels, but a relatively
    >>>small percentage of interest to that subscriber. It is my
    >>>opinion that a sufficient number of customers who would like ala
    >>>carte service exist to provide a business that could compete
    >>>with those two providers. I was not really commenting about the
    >>>"purpose of C band". When the big two started, the "purpose of
    >>>Ku band" was not
    >>

    >>>direct delivery of media to the end user either, but they made a
    >>>market and now reap its profit. Perhaps a clever entrepreneur
    >>>(why are all the nifty words hard to spell?) could make his
    >>>fortune in that...
    >>>

    >> To make an Alacarte Ku pay system work is next to impossible.
    >> You need channels and quantitiy, neither which you'd get
    >> Ala-Carte (you'd get some customers, but importantly, the
    >> broadcasters would not want to be part of an Alacarte system).
    >> If you want to put your money in something, I'd say come up with
    >> a home PowerVu system like the DSR905. Another concept may be
    >> the Canadain DTH style packages.
    >>
    >>>I also hinted at the idea that I preferred Ku band equipment to
    >>>C band equipment. I did not specify that that is because of the
    >>>size of the dish and of course, I should have. Many of us
    >>>don't have the room or don't care for the way it looks in the
    >>>yard.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    That DTH packaging sounds good. Wish I had that small
    channel grouping available to me (central US.) That
    makes so much more sense than 150 channels of nothing-
    of-interest.

    You are right about the PowerVu 9834. Wish I had saved
    my money on that one. Live and learn. Glad I have the
    BEC and Humax for DVMPEG--they are usable beyond compare
    with the 9834.

    Again, thanks for the info and the insight. It is always
    easy to tell the difference in these groups between
    hobbyists like myself and the "been there, done that"
    type of guys like you who contribute a lot.

    phil (little, but learning)

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:50:42 -0500, Phil <philj@xxspearnet.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Gary,
    >>
    >>What is the Canadian DTH style package? I have never heard
    >>of that.
    >>

    > Basically it is a group of 5-10 channels in a package. The
    > package sells for $6.99 or so, and is somewhat thematically
    > "built". You get a better deal if you buy an overpackage, where
    > you can choose what packages you like from their lineup, and any
    > packages you want you add to that price.
    >
    > I have Silver, wich gives me Essentials (you have to get anyway,
    > you cannot just buy cable channels in Canada, which is
    > essentially mostly locals and a small handfull of basic cable
    > channels), a 3 packages. I have a couple Pick and pay. channels,
    > which Starchoice began to offer the new digitial cable channels
    > that came in Sept 2001, and recently a couple previous cable
    > channels.
    >

    >>When you say not channels are not available do you mean
    >>the transponders are nearly all spoken for?
    >
    > If you have money, you can always get transponder space. When I
    > say you won't have enough channels for an Alacarte service, that
    > enough, broacdasters, or at least the key ones, would decline to
    > participate in such a venture.
    >
    >>Also, you threw me there on the PowerVu / DSR905. I have
    >>a DSR905 Sidecar and a PowerVu 9834 but I didn't follow
    >>your idea on that. (I need a replacement remote for the
    >>9834 if anyone has an extra, by the way.)
    >>

    > Basically the 9834 is a single service receiver (IMO the
    > equivalent of the GI 4200 receiver). Any receiver that would be
    > suitable for home C-band would have to be able to store many
    > channels, and be able maintain the authorisation for numerous
    > channels. I believe it would also take a slight redo of the
    > uplinks as well, to accomodate a consumer authorisation stream .

4DTV Satellite Video Cable Product