C Band Receiver Question

Reactivating my big dish (perfect 10). GI 350 super receiver. Adding a
sidecar. Suggestions as to manufactures. Dumb question but can a Star Choice
GI Navigo receiver be of any use with this project?
Programming options in Canada (legal). PPV available?
Also adding a KU/C feedhorn. Can I receive the DMX audio channels?
These are basic questions but I have to start somewhere.
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about band receiver question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    To subscribe to StarChoice you will need to go gray market.
    *C is Digicipher II all of their receivers are made by GI/Mot.
    I am not familiar with all of the *C receiver models so hopefully
    somebody that know them better than I will reply to your message.

    DMX is available on Galaxy 10. The channels are FTA. Once
    a 4DTV (905/920/921/922) is authorized it can receive them.
    Some of the DMX channels are also repeated on Galaxy 4 Ku.
    They also are FTA, but again a 4DTV must be authorized to
    receive any programming.

    The DMX channels are in the 4DTV maps, so they will appear
    in the guide.

    http://www.lyngsat.com/g10r.html (C-Band)
    http://www.lyngsat.com/g4r.html (See the Ku)

    If you are planning to use 3 receivers, 905, analog and Canadian
    StarChoice, you will probably need a splitter that blocks DC
    current on one leg. The DC blocked cable would probably be
    connected to the StarChoice receiver. Somebody that is more
    familiar than I with *C receivers may know of a model that may
    not require the splitter when connected in a multi-receiver setup.

    "jwm" <mcnabbs@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    | Reactivating my big dish (perfect 10). GI 350 super receiver. Adding a
    | sidecar. Suggestions as to manufactures. Dumb question but can a Star Choice
    | GI Navigo receiver be of any use with this project?
    | Programming options in Canada (legal). PPV available?
    | Also adding a KU/C feedhorn. Can I receive the DMX audio channels?
    | These are basic questions but I have to start somewhere.
    | Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    A Star Choice Navigo (400 series) receiver can only be used with an lnbf and
    I believe has a fixed symbol rate.

    If you are in Canada,which your email address suggests,then subscribing to
    Star Choice is no problem.PPV also.

    You will need either a:

    DSR-922
    DSR-920
    or an analog receiver (lots of GI550s appear on Ebay -I have one,has stereo
    on ITC channels,which is nice!)..and the
    Motorola DSR-905 4DTV sidecar.

    A C\Ku feedhorn,as oppposed to just C band would be nice,as some channels
    that left analog went to X4(G4-ku)...and there's a lot of interesting stuff
    on ku band,especially in mpeg-2\dvb format.

    At the least,if a DSR-922,or 920(note on Ebay,they go for about the same and
    in some cases less than a sidecar!)....add a sidecar and an mpeg-2 free to
    air receiver,then add ku band later.

    Have Star Choice,or BEV for the Canadian stuff.

    "DRLev" <fake@ddress.tv> wrote in message
    > To subscribe to StarChoice you will need to go gray market.
    > *C is Digicipher II all of their receivers are made by GI/Mot.
    > I am not familiar with all of the *C receiver models so hopefully
    > somebody that know them better than I will reply to your message.
    >
    > DMX is available on Galaxy 10. The channels are FTA. Once
    > a 4DTV (905/920/921/922) is authorized it can receive them.
    > Some of the DMX channels are also repeated on Galaxy 4 Ku.
    > They also are FTA, but again a 4DTV must be authorized to
    > receive any programming.
    >
    > The DMX channels are in the 4DTV maps, so they will appear
    > in the guide.
    >
    > http://www.lyngsat.com/g10r.html (C-Band)
    > http://www.lyngsat.com/g4r.html (See the Ku)
    >
    > If you are planning to use 3 receivers, 905, analog and Canadian
    > StarChoice, you will probably need a splitter that blocks DC
    > current on one leg. The DC blocked cable would probably be
    > connected to the StarChoice receiver. Somebody that is more
    > familiar than I with *C receivers may know of a model that may
    > not require the splitter when connected in a multi-receiver setup.
    >

    > "jwm" <mcnabbs@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > | Reactivating my big dish (perfect 10). GI 350 super receiver. Adding a
    > | sidecar. Suggestions as to manufactures. Dumb question but can a Star
    Choice
    > | GI Navigo receiver be of any use with this project?
    > | Programming options in Canada (legal). PPV available?
    > | Also adding a KU/C feedhorn. Can I receive the DMX audio channels?
    > | These are basic questions but I have to start somewhere.
    > | Thanks.

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:42:31 -0400, "jwm" <mcnabbs@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Reactivating my big dish (perfect 10). GI 350 super receiver. Adding a
    >sidecar. Suggestions as to manufactures. Dumb question but can a Star Choice
    >GI Navigo receiver be of any use with this project?

    Little. You can only pracitcally tune SC channels.

    >Programming options in Canada (legal). PPV available?

    Yes, Starchoice, with PPC. They are the only ones able to authorise a
    Starchoice receiver.

    >Also adding a KU/C feedhorn. Can I receive the DMX audio channels?

    Starchoice has Maxtrax/Galaxie, plus a good chunk of Canadian
    broadcast radio stations, an several from Spokane WA.

    >These are basic questions but I have to start somewhere.
    >Thanks.

4DTV Satellite