MSI A55M-E33 BIOS cpu voltage - cannot change!

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Hello! I bought this PC a month ago, but it has had overheating issues since the first day. I found out about the issue only 2 weeks ago and still cannot figure out the problem.
AMD A10-6790K 4.00GHz
8GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD8670D
650w psu
I have 2 on-case coolers and the cpu cooler.
When Idle my pc heats to 55°-65°. When opening browser or doing anything, it runs normally on 70°. When playing games, it heats to 98°and if I am streaming as well, it runs for 106°. I have had this pc shut down 5 times during this month because of the heat and it has happened on different occasions. Once by simply watching a movie, once while gaming, once while streaming and so on. The thermal paste is 2 days old, completely new, the cooler has been re-attached, so it is not the coolers fault. Accidentally I stumbled upon a forum post where a person w/ the same cpu was asking for help because of the heat as well and he/she was using water cooling. At this point I do not believe it's the coolers fault, because in general no cpu should be runing on 100°C with a stock cooler or not.
Basically, the forum thread said that some msi boards overheat and transfer the heat towards cpu, so this might be the reason why it shows to be so hot. I have checked the temperature on many different programs (HWMonitor, BIOS itself, Speccy, SpeedFan) and everything checks out, so it is definitely not a sensor's problem nor a wrong temperature being shown.
The resolution for that person with the same issue was lowering the voltage of the cpu and the temperature decreased a lot!
Running a stress test for 10 min, my cpu heats to 101°, so, if I could lower the temperature even by 10°, I would be flying over the moon! I decided to try it out. I found the Undervolting guide, but the software I need (RMClock) does not find my cpu, so I cannot use it. I wanted to try changing the voltage step by step myself in BIOS settings, but my BIOS does not allow me to do that, i.e., keeps the core voltage and VID setting greyed out and not able to select. What am I supposed to do now? How can I unlock the settings? Where am I supposed to look?
Yes, I do know that by changing anything, I am risking w/ the pc, but at this point i do not care if anything happens, because I still have the guarantee with the company even if I change anything and it is MY computer. I am desperate and looking for help, please! Also, if this does not work, I am asking for my money back and going elsewhere, because the company doesn't really care enough to give me any other advice besides `buy a new cooler aka the gaming-nasa-good-one`. No. I spent enough money on this pc and it should work FINE with the stock cooler they have put in. Pulling my hair out here and do not know what else can I do. Please, help! And also, how do I know if it's been this way since the day one - it switched off soon after 3 days. I assumed it was because of the power shortage, but then it happened again soon enough. Oh, and everything is clean inside, not a single dust left!
Here are my BIOS screens so you can tell me where to go.
MSI_Snap_Shot.png

MSI_Snap_Shot_00mm.png

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Alex, thank you! I kept thinking what I am doing wrong that I cannot change the voltage at all. So, I guess undervolting is not an option for me then.
I am 100% sure that the cooler is attached properly.

And if this really is a cooler problem, what should I get?
This makes me so, so incredibly mad, because people I got the pc from built it themselves and obviously sold it so they could charge more money for a change of cooler. It's horrible! So disappointed. But is there no other option it could be something else besides the cooler?

The stock cooler should be working MUCH better than this. Ensure the cooler fan is spinning, and I would even buy some new thermal paste online and then remove the cooler and reapply the paste. Stock paste is notorious for making poor contact and having problems.

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Tiny voices, I brought the pc back to the shop last Thursday where they changed the paste and reapplied the cooler. It is spinning and working to the maximum, they also put in the on-case coolers, but they didn't change anything at all. I am just surprised how can people sell such build when it's not even working properly.

Well, not to sound like a jerk, but that is what happens alot when you buy a prebuilt.

Another thing to consider is that that is about the cheapest and lowest end motherboard there is for that CPU. That CPU is as good as it gets for this line and is a 100w CPU. This motherboard is not designed for that at all. As you see the board is at 40c in the BIOS. At idle it should be in the high 20s/ low 30s. This board is simply not built to handle this CPU. This could also be the problem. Again, this is VERY common with Prebuilts. I have seen plenty of FX8350s put in $45 motherboards and just fry board after board.

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Yea, the incompatibility most likely is the issue more than the cooler and that is the reason why I will be asking for my money back. At that point I was desperate for a new pc since mine did not even open Word or notepad. I really like the cpu though, 4GHz.. looked so nice. Will have to try to build my own with 8gb ram and similar cpu! Thanks for all the advices, I just needed someone who knows a lot about pc's to confirm that the motherboard is at fault so I can go to the shop and DEMAND the payback. Scumbag pc sellers, sheesh...they obviously have no idea what they are doing.

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
tiny voices, I got this for 390 euros with 650w psu. I would be thankful if you could build me a pc with 8gb ram that could run streaming to twitch and some newer games, including sims 4 that's coming out and oldie WoW. I do live in europe and most of the stuff is either overpriced here or limited, but I will still try to find anything you suggest!

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Well, basically anything that ends with .lv and sells pc hardware. Some popular sites are 1a.lv and dataleks.lv, m79.lv as well. The top three I believe.

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Thanks, tiny voice! The company is ready to give me money back if necessary, but they are also willing to exchange the motherboard to one that actually supports the apu and is supposed to run it as well. We agreed that I will provide a list of all the mobos that are supported and they will get one and we will test the temperatures and everything with it at the place, so I can make sure that everything is running fine. If I am still not ok, I will ask for the money. Since I am in need of a pc and a week without it I can't last because of school and everything else, I will hope that they provide an approriate mobo and if anything goes south, I will continue to update this thread with any news. Also I will post the end result next week, since I can get there only then. Thank you very much for the help, I have written down all the suggested details and will be looking at them if needed. I really appreciate this, you guys are gold!

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I've got one question, which mobo is newer, I cant seem to find, I guess I am a bad googler - FM2-A55M-E33 or A55M-E33?

ffooxx

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Ok, then I will most likely go with this mobo. Thanks! Will still keep this updated, curious how high temperatures will they get.