Multisite NAS implementation

Xeekya

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Hello all - I am in the process of scoping out a solution and want to tap the forum for some insight.

I want to set up a NAS device at each of 10 branch locations. These devices will all be remotely managed and be identical in terms of the data stored on them. The goal is route large file download requests to the Local NAS versus sending them onto the WAN to help with WAN bandwidth consumption and overall download times.

I want to be able to manage the files remotely and with as little administrative effort as possible. So, if possible I would like changes to be made as a one to many method.

I would like to know if using an NFS or CIFS would be the best solution in terms of file system. I would like to determine if it is feasible to place the appliances within their own OU in AD is feasible. Or, is utilizing a File Management System sufficient from a securing and administration standpoint.

Lastly, the appliance should be read-only to accessing users and they should not require credentials when accessing from within the local branch network.

I would like to hear the groups thoughts on models of appliances as well as any experience any have with this type of implementation.

Thank you
Best Regards,
-X

popatim

Titan
How do you plan to maintain file consistancy between branches?

Ie - how will you maintain that File A at office 3 is still identical to the one at office 6 who just made large changes to it? Seems like you would have 10 different versions of all the files pretty quick to me.

Xeekya

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
The user access would be read only. The branches are not making any changes to the files, that will all be handled remotely by the administrator. The files are installer packages we use for applications on systems that come through the branch for work. Right now we have the packages hosted at a central web-based access point where the users go to download the package to the unit they are currently working on. However, these downloads are soaking up WAN bandwidth which is the reason we are looking at a locally hosted, remotely managed solution.

The idea of providing a "Gold" disc to the site was floated. But, this just did not seem feasible from a long term management standpoint with regard to version control.

In the current solution we maintain read-only access to the files and version control at the remote file server level. We would like move this download to the local level.

popatim

Titan
Ahh very good, You seem to have the bases covered.

I know Synology & Qnap Nas's work with AD, I recommend them often, and both have remote files access/control. I know Qnap has remote system administration but I'm not sure about Synology.

I'm also unsure of the 'one to many' for any changes made though I'm sure some things could be easily scripted using other tools; possibly even having the Nas's Sync back to a 'master nas' nightly using their own embedded utilities.

Xeekya

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
@popatim - Thank you for the starting point. I appreciate the insight. I will look into the QNap and Synology solutions. Do you have a recommendation regarding file systems or are most of the NAS units on the market capable of either CIFS or NFS?