Day 2 compleat and only one blister. (Ben)

Things are going great thanks to;
scram, Valdivar, DRLev and others.

Here's the link to day by day photos of my first attempt at installing a
C-Band system.
http://BigDish.notlong.com

~Ben
26 answers Last reply
More about day compleat blister ben
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    http://BigDish.notlong.com

    ~Ben
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    >
    > ~Ben

    Way to go!
    Your pictures make it so real, almost like being there.
    I can feel the anticipation building.

    Bill
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Cool

    Looks like it is going well

    "Ben" <none@none.moc> wrote in message

    | http://BigDish.notlong.com
    |
    | ~Ben

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    http://BigDish.notlong.com

    ~Ben

    I might have to reformat my page. I can see this scrolling down could get
    quite long.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    >
    > ~Ben
    >
    > I might have to reformat my page. I can see this scrolling down could get
    > quite long.

    I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35 on
    some websites.
    I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain from
    the lnb pegged the needle.
    There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough range
    adjustment.

    Bill
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Are you nicely trying to say I bought a POS and that I'm going to end up
    making a trip to Rat Shack anyway? :-)
    ~Ben

    "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message news:ZLCNc.166$8k.29@fed1read03...

    > > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    > >
    > > ~Ben
    > >
    > > I might have to reformat my page. I can see this scrolling down could
    get
    > > quite long.
    >

    > I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35 on
    > some websites.
    > I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain from
    > the lnb pegged the needle.
    > There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough range
    > adjustment.
    >
    > Bill

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Not at all, you are not a professional installer and at best will only use
    it once a year, so why spend $100?
    You will also need a compass an inclinometer (protractor) probably from
    Sears for $10.

    Bill

    > Are you nicely trying to say I bought a POS and that I'm going to end up
    > making a trip to Rat Shack anyway? :-)
    > ~Ben
    >
    > "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    > > >
    > > > ~Ben
    > > >
    > > > I might have to reformat my page. I can see this scrolling down could
    > get
    > > > quite long.
    > >

    > > I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35
    on
    > > some websites.
    > > I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain
    from
    > > the lnb pegged the needle.
    > > There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough
    range
    > > adjustment.
    > >
    > > Bill

  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Ben wrote:
    > Are you nicely trying to say I bought a POS and that I'm going to end up
    > making a trip to Rat Shack anyway? :-)
    > ~Ben
    >
    > "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message news:ZLCNc.166$8k.29@fed1read03...
    >
    >>> http://BigDish.notlong.com
    >>>
    >>> ~Ben
    >>>
    >>>I might have to reformat my page. I can see this scrolling down could
    >
    > get
    >
    >>>quite long.
    >>

    >>I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35 on
    >>some websites.
    >>I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain from
    >>the lnb pegged the needle.
    >>There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough range
    >>adjustment.
    >>
    >>Bill

    A little item You might find of interest for Your upcoming alignment.I
    have use it for a long time.
    http://www.gourmet-ent.com/products/arc.html
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    What a far out device but like scram said, I'm not going to be using it so
    much to justify the price. Maybe some time later on after I get a job I will
    think about this device. I have saved the link.
    Thank you Dino,
    ~Ben

    "Dino" <nospam@nospam.kr> wrote in message
    > Ben wrote:
    > > Are you nicely trying to say I bought a POS and that I'm going to end up
    > > making a trip to Rat Shack anyway? :-)
    > > ~Ben
    > >
    > > "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message

    > > get

    > >>I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35
    on
    > >>some websites.
    > >>I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain
    from
    > >>the lnb pegged the needle.
    > >>There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough
    range
    > >>adjustment.
    > >>
    > >>Bill
    > >>

    > A little item You might find of interest for Your upcoming alignment.I
    > have use it for a long time.
    > http://www.gourmet-ent.com/products/arc.html
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    OK, Good... You had me scared there for a bit.

    I'm going to be updating some servers at my local Wal-Mart tomorrow night so
    I'm staying up all night tonight so I can sleep most of the day. I don't
    anticipate getting much done on Day 5, sorry.

    > Not at all, you are not a professional installer and at best will only use
    > it once a year, so why spend $100?
    > You will also need a compass an inclinometer (protractor) probably from
    > Sears for $10.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "Ben" <none@none.moc> wrote in message
    > > Are you nicely trying to say I bought a POS and that I'm going to end up
    > > making a trip to Rat Shack anyway? :-)
    > > ~Ben
    > >
    > > "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message

    > > get
    > > >

    > > > I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35
    > on
    > > > some websites.
    > > > I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain
    > from
    > > > the lnb pegged the needle.
    > > > There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough
    > range
    > > > adjustment.
    > > >
    > > > Bill

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:51:22 -0700, "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote:

    >> http://BigDish.notlong.com
    >>
    >> ~Ben
    >>
    >> I might have to reformat my page. I can see this scrolling down could get
    >> quite long.
    >

    >I have one of those Sat Finders, I see them selling for as much as $35 on
    >some websites.
    >I had to buy an attenuator (cheap) from Radio Shlock because the gain from
    >the lnb pegged the needle.
    >There is also a potentiometer you can adjust from the back for rough range
    >adjustment.

    They get overloaded if you have it in front of the dish, behind is
    usually ok.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Seriously, the major percentage in this hobby will by hollering to their
    spouse through an open window.

    "Honey, how does it look now?"

    Or the more sophisticated way is to put the receiver and TV out by the dish.

    I am partial to having a meter in my hand.

    Bill

    > OK, Good... You had me scared there for a bit.
    >
    > I'm going to be updating some servers at my local Wal-Mart tomorrow night
    so
    > I'm staying up all night tonight so I can sleep most of the day. I don't
    > anticipate getting much done on Day 5, sorry.
    > ~Ben
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    http://BigDish.notlong.com

    ~Ben
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I can't find any instructions that tell witch way to point the dish mounting
    bracket before tightening down the 6 bolts to the pole. What am I missing?

    ~Ben
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:24:31 GMT, "Ben" <none@none.moc> wrote:

    >I can't find any instructions that tell witch way to point the dish mounting
    >bracket before tightening down the 6 bolts to the pole. What am I missing?
    >
    >~Ben

    It should be running polar north-south.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor801578 should give you an idea

    Do not tighten the bolts completely until you feel certain that the mount is seated in
    the correct East/West orientation on the pole.

    | I can't find any instructions that tell witch way to point the dish mounting
    | bracket before tightening down the 6 bolts to the pole. What am I missing?
    |
    | ~Ben

  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    http://BigDish.notlong.com

    ~Ben
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Looks good.

    The meter you have shown, labeled "Satellite Finder", looks like one I
    recently bought at Fry's and had to return because I could not get it to
    work right. It would peg at 10 no matter which way I moved the dish and
    regardless of the sensitivity setting. Maybe it was broken, I'm not sure,
    but if you have success with it let me know.

    Greg O.

    > Things are going great thanks to;
    > scram, Valdivar, DRLev and others.
    >
    > Here's the link to day by day photos of my first attempt at installing a
    > C-Band system.
    > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    >
    > ~Ben

  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > The meter you have shown, labeled "Satellite Finder", looks like one I
    > recently bought at Fry's and had to return because I could not get it to
    > work right. It would peg at 10 no matter which way I moved the dish and
    > regardless of the sensitivity setting. Maybe it was broken, I'm not sure,
    > but if you have success with it let me know.

    I have one of these meters and had to buy an atenuator from the Rat Shack
    for $2.50 (I think, its been many years.) The atenuator heats up after
    awhile, but who cares. You can also use it near the reciever without the
    atenuator to peak signal strength.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    The cable that runs to the motor that turns the dish.

    My new cable has the following colors-
    Two large: Red and Black
    Three small: Yellow, Brown and Blue
    And a grounding wire.

    The old cable had the following colors-
    Two large: White and Red
    Three small: Orange, Brown and Green
    And a grounding wire.

    Inside the motor pannel the hookup says to place the following colors on the
    following posts.
    Motor: White and Green
    Sensor: Black and Shield

    I'm quite sure, nomatter the color I need to have the two large wires
    attached to the Motor posts.
    But when it says to put Black and Shield on the Sensor post, I'm not to sure
    I should be hooking up the un-insulated ground wire to this post or not. The
    old cabe had the thin Orange wire conected there.

    Question 2
    My feedhorn does not have a plastic cap over the end (pointing at the dish).
    Should I get one? What's this part called?

    Question 3
    I can see that my feedhorn is not pointing straight at the bottom of the
    dish. I saw in an article there's a cap that attaches to the end pointing at
    the dish with a telescopic pole that extends to help aim. Is there a better
    way to point the horn? If this cap is the èa'ª way, where might I buy one?
    (can't find one on eBay)

    ~Ben
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > Question 3
    > I can see that my feedhorn is not pointing straight at the bottom of the
    > dish. I saw in an article there's a cap that attaches to the end pointing
    at
    > the dish with a telescopic pole that extends to help aim. Is there a
    better
    > way to point the horn? If this cap is the èa'ª way, where might I buy one?
    > (can't find one on eBay)

    The accepted method is to measure from the outside edge of the feedhorn
    scalar ring to the outside edge of the dish. It will also insure feedhorn
    centering.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    If the meter is in front of the dish that can happen. If you use long cables
    for the meter and place the meter a few feet below the dish or place it
    behind the dish the problem goes away.

    "Greg O." <ozbirn@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    | Looks good.
    |
    | The meter you have shown, labeled "Satellite Finder", looks like one I
    | recently bought at Fry's and had to return because I could not get it to
    | work right. It would peg at 10 no matter which way I moved the dish and
    | regardless of the sensitivity setting. Maybe it was broken, I'm not sure,
    | but if you have success with it let me know.
    |
    | Greg O.
    |
    | "Ben" <none@none.moc> wrote in message
    | > Things are going great thanks to;
    | > scram, Valdivar, DRLev and others.
    | >
    | > Here's the link to day by day photos of my first attempt at installing a
    | > C-Band system.
    | > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    | >
    | > ~Ben

  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Again for the actuator see http://www.21st-satellite.com/tvro_cables.html .
    The section marked M discusses the actuator connections. If there is a
    bare braided wire in the actuator bundle connect it to the ground lug on
    the receiver and do not connect the braided wire to anything on the actuator.

    The opening in the feedhorn throat should be aimed at the center of the dish.

    The plastic cover prevents wasps or other insects from nesting inside the
    throat of the feedhorn. Many people call it a "Hornet Cover" or "Throat
    Cover" I would suggest that you use one.

    If the feedhorn is a Chaparral see http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi3503021.html
    Other covers may be found at http://www.skyvision.com/store/feedhorns.html#85
    SkyVision sometime charges a lot for shipping. Check the shipping and handling
    charges before ordering from them. Somebody else may know of another source
    for the covers.

    | The cable that runs to the motor that turns the dish.
    |
    | My new cable has the following colors-
    | Two large: Red and Black
    | Three small: Yellow, Brown and Blue
    | And a grounding wire.
    |
    | The old cable had the following colors-
    | Two large: White and Red
    | Three small: Orange, Brown and Green
    | And a grounding wire.
    |
    | Inside the motor pannel the hookup says to place the following colors on the
    | following posts.
    | Motor: White and Green
    | Sensor: Black and Shield
    |
    | I'm quite sure, nomatter the color I need to have the two large wires
    | attached to the Motor posts.
    | But when it says to put Black and Shield on the Sensor post, I'm not to sure
    | I should be hooking up the un-insulated ground wire to this post or not. The
    | old cabe had the thin Orange wire conected there.
    |
    | Question 2
    | My feedhorn does not have a plastic cap over the end (pointing at the dish).
    | Should I get one? What's this part called?
    |
    | Question 3
    | I can see that my feedhorn is not pointing straight at the bottom of the
    | dish. I saw in an article there's a cap that attaches to the end pointing at
    | the dish with a telescopic pole that extends to help aim. Is there a better
    | way to point the horn? If this cap is the èa'ª way, where might I buy one?
    | (can't find one on eBay)
    |
    | ~Ben

  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Ben wrote:
    > Question 2
    > My feedhorn does not have a plastic cap over the end (pointing at the dish).
    > Should I get one? What's this part called?

    You can just try out different plastic lids from bottles until you find one
    that fits. Just make sure you remove any foil-covered gaskets from inside
    the lids, or else you'll have a heck of a time trying to get any signals!

    > Question 3
    > I can see that my feedhorn is not pointing straight at the bottom of the
    > dish. I saw in an article there's a cap that attaches to the end pointing at
    > the dish with a telescopic pole that extends to help aim. Is there a better
    > way to point the horn? If this cap is the èa'ª way, where might I buy one?
    > (can't find one on eBay)

    There are various ways you can measure this. Here's one:

    Run 4 strings from the center of the dish to each arm. Fasten one end of each
    string to weights that hangs down behind the dish. Use a cardboard shim or
    something to make sure that the strings come out from the exact middle of the
    dish. Fasten the other end of each string (with the string taught) to a point
    on each arm equally distant from the feed center.

    Now just use a protractor (a regular one for measuring angles, not the fancy
    one you got for measuring inclination) to try and make the angle between each
    arm and its string the same. You'll have to manhandle the arms in order to
    change the angle of the LNB. Of course, this will put differing tensions on
    the strings as you do this, so that's why I suggested the weight arrangement
    instead of just tying them off to the dish center. You could also get by with
    just one string that you move around, but that's more work.

    Once you get all 4 angles equal, the LNB should be pointing at the dish's center.

    One assumption I've made is that the arms are equal length. If there are
    slotted holes in the arms for the LNB or dish anchor bolts, this assumption
    may not be true. Make sure the bolts are positioned evenly within the slots.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Ben wrote:

    > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    >
    > ~Ben

    By the way, I hope you're planning on using PVC for the whole underground run of
    your cable. Should help the cable last longer, and will make replacing it much
    easier if you ever have a problem, or want to run more coax. You might also
    consider putting a "U" piece over the end that pops up to help prevent rain from
    getting inside the pipe.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Actually I was not going to put the rest of it in PVC. Weather is not much
    of a factor here in Southern CA and having it under dirt protects it from
    the Sun. The length under the dirt will be better off then the stretch going
    up the side of the pole that's exposed to the Sun. I did put a right angle
    piece on the top where the cable comes out so water does not go straight
    down the pipe and I will be filling the end with cocking.

    ~Ben

    "Zoyburg" <rats@attib.com> wrote in message
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    > > http://BigDish.notlong.com
    > >
    > > ~Ben
    > >

    > By the way, I hope you're planning on using PVC for the whole underground
    run of
    > your cable. Should help the cable last longer, and will make replacing it
    much
    > easier if you ever have a problem, or want to run more coax. You might
    also
    > consider putting a "U" piece over the end that pops up to help prevent
    rain from
    > getting inside the pipe.

4DTV Satellite Video