prime star dish and lnb

I recently obatained a primestar dish and lnb (with one outlet).
I have a microyal fta receiver.
Can I receive any fta with this setup?
I have tried numerous birds but unable to receive anything, the inline
signal meter indicates that it is receiving a signal on about 3 birds
but still unable to receive a picture.
any help appreciated.
Thanks, bob
21 answers Last reply
More about prime star dish lnb
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:26:03 -0500, robert stiefvater
    <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I recently obatained a primestar dish and lnb (with one outlet).
    >I have a microyal fta receiver.
    >Can I receive any fta with this setup?
    >I have tried numerous birds but unable to receive anything, the inline
    >signal meter indicates that it is receiving a signal on about 3 birds
    >but still unable to receive a picture.
    >any help appreciated.
    >Thanks, bob

    P* is normal Ku, so you should. One thing to try is to reverse
    polarity.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in

    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:26:03 -0500, robert stiefvater
    > <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I recently obatained a primestar dish and lnb (with one outlet).
    >>I have a microyal fta receiver.
    >>Can I receive any fta with this setup?
    >>I have tried numerous birds but unable to receive anything, the inline
    >>signal meter indicates that it is receiving a signal on about 3 birds
    >>but still unable to receive a picture.
    >>any help appreciated.
    >>Thanks, bob
    >
    > P* is normal Ku, so you should. One thing to try is to reverse
    > polarity.

    ************************
    I was going to try the old primestar dish for local channels. Decided to
    get a new dish instead. I did learn that some primestar dishes had a
    different lnb. Be sure that you have is an LNBF. This makes all the
    difference. I got my dish and LNBF from these folks.
    <http://www.adventistsat.com/>
    Check-out the section about LNBs. Hope this helps!

    Mike
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Just agreeing and seconding Mike's comment.. The P* lnbf is
    the best thing made, if you can get one. I put one on
    a 4 foot prime focus (with new Prime focus ku feedhorn) and it beats
    any of the cheap to very expensive ku lnbf's i've bought
    for prime focus dishes (FTA signals). Its an incredible little lnbf
    every fta'er needs to try out.

    And the one on my P* dish can find a signal on every
    sat i try (with ku signals, rated for that dish size), -- be sure to
    play with the skew when you're searching the signal (set up by the
    dish to make it easy on yourself).

    rik

    <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I recently obatained a primestar dish and lnb (with one outlet).
    >I have a microyal fta receiver.
    >Can I receive any fta with this setup?
    >I have tried numerous birds but unable to receive anything, the inline
    >signal meter indicates that it is receiving a signal on about 3 birds
    >but still unable to receive a picture.
    >any help appreciated.
    >Thanks, bob
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    The lnb or lnbf that is on this p* only has one connection, so wouldn't
    that make it a lnbf? I doubt that anybody has changed it since it was
    installed.
    There is not much info on it only a few numbers like , on the side is
    7282 and on the end is 975290402.
    bob

    rik wrote:

    > Just agreeing and seconding Mike's comment.. The P* lnbf is
    > the best thing made, if you can get one. I put one on
    > a 4 foot prime focus (with new Prime focus ku feedhorn) and it beats
    > any of the cheap to very expensive ku lnbf's i've bought
    > for prime focus dishes (FTA signals). Its an incredible little lnbf
    > every fta'er needs to try out.
    >
    > And the one on my P* dish can find a signal on every
    > sat i try (with ku signals, rated for that dish size), -- be sure to
    > play with the skew when you're searching the signal (set up by the
    > dish to make it easy on yourself).
    >
    > rik
    >

    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:26:03 -0500, robert stiefvater
    > <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I recently obatained a primestar dish and lnb (with one outlet).
    >>I have a microyal fta receiver.
    >>Can I receive any fta with this setup?
    >>I have tried numerous birds but unable to receive anything, the inline
    >>signal meter indicates that it is receiving a signal on about 3 birds
    >>but still unable to receive a picture.
    >>any help appreciated.
    >>Thanks, bob

  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    A Primestar Ku lnb connects to it's matching feed and is then called an
    lnbf. A single connector allows access to either polarity by using H/V or
    14/18 volt switching. The lnbf you describe should be fine. I use three
    (different) Primestar lnbf's on various Primestar dishes, some feature dual
    output H/V. Everything works great. Enough questions and speculation --
    assemble the system and tell us that it works.

    -lurk

    "robert stiefvater" <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The lnb or lnbf that is on this p* only has one connection, so wouldn't
    > that make it a lnbf? I doubt that anybody has changed it since it was
    > installed.
    > There is not much info on it only a few numbers like , on the side is
    > 7282 and on the end is 975290402.
    > bob
    >
    > rik wrote:
    >
    > > Just agreeing and seconding Mike's comment.. The P* lnbf is
    > > the best thing made, if you can get one. I put one on
    > > a 4 foot prime focus (with new Prime focus ku feedhorn) and it beats
    > > any of the cheap to very expensive ku lnbf's i've bought
    > > for prime focus dishes (FTA signals). Its an incredible little lnbf
    > > every fta'er needs to try out.
    > >
    > > And the one on my P* dish can find a signal on every
    > > sat i try (with ku signals, rated for that dish size), -- be sure to
    > > play with the skew when you're searching the signal (set up by the
    > > dish to make it easy on yourself).
    > >
    > > rik
    > >

    > > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:26:03 -0500, robert stiefvater
    > > <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I recently obatained a primestar dish and lnb (with one outlet).
    > >>I have a microyal fta receiver.
    > >>Can I receive any fta with this setup?
    > >>I have tried numerous birds but unable to receive anything, the inline
    > >>signal meter indicates that it is receiving a signal on about 3 birds
    > >>but still unable to receive a picture.
    > >>any help appreciated.
    > >>Thanks, bob

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    One more question. What bird should I try this on?
    bob

    lurknowhere wrote:
    > A Primestar Ku lnb connects to it's matching feed and is then called an
    > lnbf. A single connector allows access to either polarity by using H/V or
    > 14/18 volt switching. The lnbf you describe should be fine. I use three
    > (different) Primestar lnbf's on various Primestar dishes, some feature dual
    > output H/V. Everything works great. Enough questions and speculation --
    > assemble the system and tell us that it works.
    >
    > -lurk
    >

    > "robert stiefvater" <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The lnb or lnbf that is on this p* only has one connection, so wouldn't
    >>that make it a lnbf? I doubt that anybody has changed it since it was
    >>installed.
    >>There is not much info on it only a few numbers like , on the side is
    >>7282 and on the end is 975290402.
    >>bob
    >>
    >>rik wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just agreeing and seconding Mike's comment.. The P* lnbf is
    >>>the best thing made, if you can get one. I put one on
    >>>a 4 foot prime focus (with new Prime focus ku feedhorn) and it beats
    >>>any of the cheap to very expensive ku lnbf's i've bought
    >>>for prime focus dishes (FTA signals). Its an incredible little lnbf
    >>>every fta'er needs to try out.
    >>>
    >>>And the one on my P* dish can find a signal on every
    >>>sat i try (with ku signals, rated for that dish size), -- be sure to
    >>>play with the skew when you're searching the signal (set up by the
    >>>dish to make it easy on yourself).
    >>>
    >>>rik

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    You might start with IA5 (T5) at 97 deg. west. It will provide many channels
    to view initially.

    An easy satellite to find is AMC4 at 101 west as it is in the same orbital
    slot as DirecTV and the signal is the strongest in that area.

    Many hobbyist are updating the Primestar dishes by replacing the dual output
    H/V models or upgrading with better specs like the Invacom. We have been
    shipping them out in large quantities for retrofits. Simply unscrew the old
    lnb, clean the surfaces, install the new gasket, align the lnb, install the
    screws and you will have a top performer!
    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

    > One more question. What bird should I try this on?
    > bob
    >
    > lurknowhere wrote:
    > > A Primestar Ku lnb connects to it's matching feed and is then called an
    > > lnbf. A single connector allows access to either polarity by using H/V
    or
    > > 14/18 volt switching. The lnbf you describe should be fine. I use
    three
    > > (different) Primestar lnbf's on various Primestar dishes, some feature
    dual
    > > output H/V. Everything works great. Enough questions and
    speculation --
    > > assemble the system and tell us that it works.
    > >
    > > -lurk
    > >

    > > "robert stiefvater" <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>The lnb or lnbf that is on this p* only has one connection, so wouldn't
    > >>that make it a lnbf? I doubt that anybody has changed it since it was
    > >>installed.
    > >>There is not much info on it only a few numbers like , on the side is
    > >>7282 and on the end is 975290402.
    > >>bob

  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:28:07 -0500, robert stiefvater
    <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >One more question. What bird should I try this on?
    >bob

    It was on AMC-3 in it's day, you could try it there.

    >lurknowhere wrote:
    >> A Primestar Ku lnb connects to it's matching feed and is then called an
    >> lnbf. A single connector allows access to either polarity by using H/V or
    >> 14/18 volt switching. The lnbf you describe should be fine. I use three
    >> (different) Primestar lnbf's on various Primestar dishes, some feature dual
    >> output H/V. Everything works great. Enough questions and speculation --
    >> assemble the system and tell us that it works.
    >>
    >> -lurk
    >>

    >> "robert stiefvater" <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>The lnb or lnbf that is on this p* only has one connection, so wouldn't
    >>>that make it a lnbf? I doubt that anybody has changed it since it was
    >>>installed.
    >>>There is not much info on it only a few numbers like , on the side is
    >>>7282 and on the end is 975290402.
    >>>bob

  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    OK, tried this again. Tried T5 unable to pickup a signal, amc-4
    nothing, then tried amc-1 and am getting a strong scrambled signal on
    two transponders, with the freq. of 12282 on both transponders also sid
    is 20000. I am pretty sure I have this set on right bird, i used a gps
    to point it. Anybody have a idea of what is goiong on??
    Will try to see if I can find another bird that has a signal.

    I also have a signal meter connected and when the microyal is doing a
    search of the satellite, the sound on the meter gets louder and then
    quieter with each transponder that it searchers thru. Is this caused by
    the microyal switching between vertical and hor.?

    Also this morning before I Put the the primestar lnb back on the dish, I
    had a old Directv lnb that I seton the primestar and pointed it towards
    nimiq 91 degrees and was able to pickup a lot of signals with music
    plus vu27 freq, 11986 that looked like it was a movie channel from
    expressvu.
    bob

    kryppy wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:28:07 -0500, robert stiefvater
    > <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>One more question. What bird should I try this on?
    >>bob
    >

    > It was on AMC-3 in it's day, you could try it there.
    >

    >>lurknowhere wrote:
    >>
    >>>A Primestar Ku lnb connects to it's matching feed and is then called an
    >>>lnbf. A single connector allows access to either polarity by using H/V or
    >>>14/18 volt switching. The lnbf you describe should be fine. I use three
    >>>(different) Primestar lnbf's on various Primestar dishes, some feature dual
    >>>output H/V. Everything works great. Enough questions and speculation --
    >>>assemble the system and tell us that it works.
    >>>
    >>>-lurk
    >>>

    >>>"robert stiefvater" <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:28:24 -0500, robert stiefvater
    <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >OK, tried this again. Tried T5 unable to pickup a signal, amc-4
    >nothing, then tried amc-1 and am getting a strong scrambled signal on
    >two transponders, with the freq. of 12282 on both transponders also sid
    >is 20000. I am pretty sure I have this set on right bird, i used a gps
    >to point it. Anybody have a idea of what is goiong on??
    >Will try to see if I can find another bird that has a signal.
    >
    >I also have a signal meter connected and when the microyal is doing a
    >search of the satellite, the sound on the meter gets louder and then
    >quieter with each transponder that it searchers thru. Is this caused by
    >the microyal switching between vertical and hor.?
    >
    >Also this morning before I Put the the primestar lnb back on the dish, I
    >had a old Directv lnb that I seton the primestar and pointed it towards
    >nimiq 91 degrees and was able to pickup a lot of signals with music
    >plus vu27 freq, 11986 that looked like it was a movie channel from
    >expressvu.
    >bob

    Thought you had a blind search receiver..sorry.
    Goto http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and get parameters for the
    satellite you are shooting for and put them in.
    You will find any that you want that way easy.
    Remember to set the LO to 10750 for the Primestar LNBF.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Normal" Primestar LNB's have two connections, one
    marked V and one marked H. As you might surmise, one
    is for horizontal output and one is for vertical
    output. There is also a skew adjustment on the LNB,
    look for the dial. You have to loosen four screws
    to do the skew alignment (if I remember correctly).
    Look at www.lyngsat.com or www.satcodx.com and
    obtain the parameters for one of the unscrambled
    boquets. Digital FTA channels are arranged in boquets,
    that is, there will be more than one channel sharing
    the same frequency. I like to tune up on the Thai
    channel because it's free and always strong. 12152
    freq. and 23000 symbol rate. Like the other fellow
    said, make sure your local oscillator frequency is
    set to 10750 before searching or you'll be wasting
    your time. Take good compass coordinates before
    looking. I like to find the reciprocal compass
    reading, and walk away from my dish about 50 feet.
    I move from side to side and get the opposite bearing
    looking back towards the dish. When I get the compass
    aligned with the dish at the correct heading, I place
    the compass on the ground as an aiming aid. If you're
    more than 20 degrees off the compass, you know you did
    something wrong.... (it's easy to see 20 degrees visually).

    Good luck, -Web

    In article <vk0bg0tbp3cqkbs9r13nchlq4g4fbadgs1@4ax.com>, kryppy@.
    says...
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:28:24 -0500, robert stiefvater
    > <rstief@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >OK, tried this again. Tried T5 unable to pickup a signal, amc-4
    > >nothing, then tried amc-1 and am getting a strong scrambled signal on
    > >two transponders, with the freq. of 12282 on both transponders also sid
    > >is 20000. I am pretty sure I have this set on right bird, i used a gps
    > >to point it. Anybody have a idea of what is goiong on??
    > >Will try to see if I can find another bird that has a signal.
    > >
    > >I also have a signal meter connected and when the microyal is doing a
    > >search of the satellite, the sound on the meter gets louder and then
    > >quieter with each transponder that it searchers thru. Is this caused by
    > >the microyal switching between vertical and hor.?
    > >
    > >Also this morning before I Put the the primestar lnb back on the dish, I
    > >had a old Directv lnb that I seton the primestar and pointed it towards
    > >nimiq 91 degrees and was able to pickup a lot of signals with music
    > >plus vu27 freq, 11986 that looked like it was a movie channel from
    > >expressvu.
    > >bob
    >

    > Thought you had a blind search receiver..sorry.
    > Goto http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and get parameters for the
    > satellite you are shooting for and put them in.
    > You will find any that you want that way easy.
    > Remember to set the LO to 10750 for the Primestar LNBF.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > You might start with IA5 (T5) at 97 deg. west. It will provide many
    channels
    > to view initially.
    >
    > An easy satellite to find is AMC4 at 101 west as it is in the same orbital
    > slot as DirecTV and the signal is the strongest in that area.
    >
    > Many hobbyist are updating the Primestar dishes by replacing the dual
    output
    > H/V models or upgrading with better specs like the Invacom. We have been
    > shipping them out in large quantities for retrofits. Simply unscrew the
    old
    > lnb, clean the surfaces, install the new gasket, align the lnb, install
    the
    > screws and you will have a top performer!
    > -------------------
    > Brian Gohl
    > Satellite Audio Video
    > http://www.adventistsat.com

    Yours must be a damn good lnbf because the Primestar unit is not at all a
    poor performer. Still, it would be interesting to see a comparison of
    actual results in the field. Too many products nowadays fail to perform as
    well as their specs suggest -- and survive long term. As far as winning a
    contest for smallest reflector using the coolest and most phase stable
    lnbf -- that's another issue beyond basic need of practicality. Other than
    offering a single F-connector H/V output over the two connector ouput common
    to most Primestar lnb's, I'm not convinced the Invacom is worth the
    investment. Just my intermediate frequency of opinion.

    -Dan
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Dan,

    I agree that a Primestar LNB is a great performer as compared to off the
    shelf LNB(f)s. I was referring to the Invacom SNF 031 LNB not the SNH 031
    LNBF.

    The specs of the Invacom products are extremely conservative. We have done
    comparison tests by swapping out the Primestar LNB for the Invacom .3 LNB
    and have found a minimum of 15% quality level increase with the Invacom and
    never have found a unit to drift more than 1 Mhz. Many signals that were not
    at threshold in our experiments with other LNB(F)s became solid locks with
    25%+ increases in BER.

    If you question the reliability and longevity of the Invacom, consider the
    fact that Invacom also stands behind their product with a 5 year warranty if
    purchased from an authorized dealer. Invacom is shipping each LNB(F) with an
    individualized test results sheet of its operational characteristics during
    the factory testing.

    Please contact me if you would like to test an Invacom and share your
    findings with the group. I would be happy to provide a unit for you to test
    and rate rather than have you theorize without the benefit of first hand
    knowledge!
    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

    "lurknowhere" <fixlakshmi@wolfmark.com> wrote in message

    > "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > You might start with IA5 (T5) at 97 deg. west. It will provide many
    > channels
    > > to view initially.
    > >
    > > An easy satellite to find is AMC4 at 101 west as it is in the same
    orbital
    > > slot as DirecTV and the signal is the strongest in that area.
    > >
    > > Many hobbyist are updating the Primestar dishes by replacing the dual
    > output
    > > H/V models or upgrading with better specs like the Invacom. We have been
    > > shipping them out in large quantities for retrofits. Simply unscrew the
    > old
    > > lnb, clean the surfaces, install the new gasket, align the lnb, install
    > the
    > > screws and you will have a top performer!
    > > -------------------
    > > Brian Gohl
    > > Satellite Audio Video
    > > http://www.adventistsat.com
    > >

    > Yours must be a damn good lnbf because the Primestar unit is not at all a
    > poor performer. Still, it would be interesting to see a comparison of
    > actual results in the field. Too many products nowadays fail to perform
    as
    > well as their specs suggest -- and survive long term. As far as winning a
    > contest for smallest reflector using the coolest and most phase stable
    > lnbf -- that's another issue beyond basic need of practicality. Other
    than
    > offering a single F-connector H/V output over the two connector ouput
    common
    > to most Primestar lnb's, I'm not convinced the Invacom is worth the
    > investment. Just my intermediate frequency of opinion.
    >
    > -Dan

  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    OK, I want to thank everybody for all the help. I think one thing that
    was messing me up, was that I was getting a low signal on from a
    circular transponder on G11 at 91 degrees and was never able to increase
    the signal strength. So I programed in the freq. of neighboring bird.
    This worked very well and I just kept working it over until I got the
    bird I wanted.
    I will say the LNB is pretty touchy and responds very quickly. Easy to
    make to large of an adjustment and miss something altoghter.
    Thanks, Bob

    Brian wrote:

> [...]
    >>>Brian Gohl
    >>>Satellite Audio Video
    >>>http://www.adventistsat.com
    >>>

    >>Yours must be a damn good lnbf because the Primestar unit is not at all a
    >>poor performer. Still, it would be interesting to see a comparison of
    >>actual results in the field. Too many products nowadays fail to perform
    >
    > as
    >
    >>well as their specs suggest -- and survive long term. As far as winning a
    >>contest for smallest reflector using the coolest and most phase stable
    >>lnbf -- that's another issue beyond basic need of practicality. Other
    >
    > than
    >
    >>offering a single F-connector H/V output over the two connector ouput
    >
    > common
    >
    >>to most Primestar lnb's, I'm not convinced the Invacom is worth the
    >>investment. Just my intermediate frequency of opinion.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    > Dan,
    >
    > I agree that a Primestar LNB is a great performer as compared to off the
    > shelf LNB(f)s. I was referring to the Invacom SNF 031 LNB not the SNH 031
    > LNBF.
    >
    > The specs of the Invacom products are extremely conservative. We have done
    > comparison tests by swapping out the Primestar LNB for the Invacom .3 LNB
    > and have found a minimum of 15% quality level increase with the Invacom
    and
    > never have found a unit to drift more than 1 Mhz. Many signals that were
    not
    > at threshold in our experiments with other LNB(F)s became solid locks with
    > 25%+ increases in BER.
    >
    > If you question the reliability and longevity of the Invacom, consider the
    > fact that Invacom also stands behind their product with a 5 year warranty
    if
    > purchased from an authorized dealer. Invacom is shipping each LNB(F) with
    an
    > individualized test results sheet of its operational characteristics
    during
    > the factory testing.
    >
    > Please contact me if you would like to test an Invacom and share your
    > findings with the group. I would be happy to provide a unit for you to
    test
    > and rate rather than have you theorize without the benefit of first hand
    > knowledge!

    No printed theory yet, this is the initial speculation stage. BTW, Do you
    happen to know the noise figure of a common Primestar LNB and how this
    parameter compares to the Invacom's?

    We could arrange a field test of your product if you wish. I have several
    dishes with various brand LNB's for competition. I don't doubt the Invacom
    exceeds the Primestar in performance, due to improved techology. Of the two
    brands mentioned, is there a significant consumer vs commercial grade design
    issue?

    -Dan
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:20:03 -0500, "lurknowhere"
    <lakerror1shmi@wolferror2mark.com> wrote:

    >No printed theory yet, this is the initial speculation stage. BTW, Do you
    >happen to know the noise figure of a common Primestar LNB and how this
    >parameter compares to the Invacom's?
    >
    >We could arrange a field test of your product if you wish. I have several
    >dishes with various brand LNB's for competition. I don't doubt the Invacom
    >exceeds the Primestar in performance, due to improved techology. Of the two
    >brands mentioned, is there a significant consumer vs commercial grade design
    >issue?

    I doubt it equals and certainly won't exceed a stock PrimeStar LNBF's
    performance.
    I await your results.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Dan,

    As memory serves me, I believe that the Primestar LNB is a .7 / 50 typical
    as compared to Invacom .3 / 55 typical.

    You will find that the Invacom is extremely sturdy and well assembled unit.
    It is certainly on par with commercial units. The current draw is less than
    half of the Primestar and a quarter of the size.

    Do you have a spectrum analyzer for the test? If not, we would also value a
    real life operational comparison. Are you interested in testing the LNB,
    LNBF or both?

    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

    "lurknowhere" <lakerror1shmi@wolferror2mark.com> wrote in message

    > "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Dan,
    > >
    > > I agree that a Primestar LNB is a great performer as compared to off the
    > > shelf LNB(f)s. I was referring to the Invacom SNF 031 LNB not the SNH
    031
    > > LNBF.
    > >
    > > The specs of the Invacom products are extremely conservative. We have
    done
    > > comparison tests by swapping out the Primestar LNB for the Invacom .3
    LNB
    > > and have found a minimum of 15% quality level increase with the Invacom
    > and
    > > never have found a unit to drift more than 1 Mhz. Many signals that were
    > not
    > > at threshold in our experiments with other LNB(F)s became solid locks
    with
    > > 25%+ increases in BER.
    > >
    > > If you question the reliability and longevity of the Invacom, consider
    the
    > > fact that Invacom also stands behind their product with a 5 year
    warranty
    > if
    > > purchased from an authorized dealer. Invacom is shipping each LNB(F)
    with
    > an
    > > individualized test results sheet of its operational characteristics
    > during
    > > the factory testing.
    > >
    > > Please contact me if you would like to test an Invacom and share your
    > > findings with the group. I would be happy to provide a unit for you to
    > test
    > > and rate rather than have you theorize without the benefit of first hand
    > > knowledge!
    >

    > No printed theory yet, this is the initial speculation stage. BTW, Do
    you
    > happen to know the noise figure of a common Primestar LNB and how this
    > parameter compares to the Invacom's?
    >
    > We could arrange a field test of your product if you wish. I have several
    > dishes with various brand LNB's for competition. I don't doubt the
    Invacom
    > exceeds the Primestar in performance, due to improved techology. Of the
    two
    > brands mentioned, is there a significant consumer vs commercial grade
    design
    > issue?
    >
    > -Dan

  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Your definitive speculative statement regarding the superiority of the
    Primestar over the Invacom LNB has me in stitches!

    This is an example of misinformation that runs rampant on Usenet. If you
    have knowledge of a product I would value your statement. Since you have not
    compared the two items in question and ignore our test results your
    statement serves no useful purpose.

    We receive several reports a week from installers and end users sharing
    positive opinions of the Invacom LNB(F)s. I invite you to perform your own
    tests and report the results. We are confident that you would report similar
    findings.
    ------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

    "kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:20:03 -0500, "lurknowhere"
    > <lakerror1shmi@wolferror2mark.com> wrote:
    >

    > >No printed theory yet, this is the initial speculation stage. BTW, Do
    you
    > >happen to know the noise figure of a common Primestar LNB and how this
    > >parameter compares to the Invacom's?
    > >
    > >We could arrange a field test of your product if you wish. I have
    several
    > >dishes with various brand LNB's for competition. I don't doubt the
    Invacom
    > >exceeds the Primestar in performance, due to improved techology. Of the
    two
    > >brands mentioned, is there a significant consumer vs commercial grade
    design
    > >issue?
    >

    > I doubt it equals and certainly won't exceed a stock PrimeStar LNBF's
    > performance.
    > I await your results.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:52:36 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Dan,
    >
    >As memory serves me, I believe that the Primestar LNB is a .7 / 50 typical
    >as compared to Invacom .3 / 55 typical.

    LMAO, this will make NO difference.

    ...and I do have a spectrum analyser and have has all LNBF's under the
    sun hooked to it.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:52:36 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Dan,
    > >
    > >As memory serves me, I believe that the Primestar LNB is a .7 / 50
    typical
    > >as compared to Invacom .3 / 55 typical.
    >

    > LMAO, this will make NO difference.
    >
    > ..and I do have a spectrum analyser and have has all LNBF's under the
    > sun hooked to it.

    How does the Invacom LNB(F) compare?
    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 01:34:50 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:52:36 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Dan,
    >> >
    >> >As memory serves me, I believe that the Primestar LNB is a .7 / 50
    >typical
    >> >as compared to Invacom .3 / 55 typical.
    >>

    >> LMAO, this will make NO difference.
    >>
    >> ..and I do have a spectrum analyser and have has all LNBF's under the
    >> sun hooked to it.
    >>
    >How does the Invacom LNB(F) compare?

    It receives the same things. My TV couldn't tell the slightest
    difference.

MPEG DVB Video