Recording to DVD-R

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
21 answers Last reply
More about recording dvd
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    wrote:

    >I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff

    ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    anyone could answer.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    wrote:

    >I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff

    Relatively straightforward:

    Use DVArchive to easily copy the files to the PC.
    Use ReVue to open the file, cut out the commercials and save the file
    as a "DVD to be Authored"
    Uses a DVD authoring software (I am using Roxio which came with my
    burner)

    there was a very good article on techtv.com about the process but it's
    been two days that techtv.com seems offline.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv, Sam spake unto us, saying:

    >Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >
    >ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >anyone could answer.

    I don't understand your logic at all. His question applies to either
    of the two units, so it was quite proper for him to crosspost to the
    two newsgroups dealing with his question.

    Crossposting is explicity intended for such situations.

    To the original poster: I have no idea, since I don't record DVDs here
    at home. Perhaps a Google Groups search could help:

    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Sam wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >> Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >
    > ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    > crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    > anyone could answer.

    It would seem to me not to be rude, rather, unlike many cross post, it
    applies to more than one group. After all if cross posting was not meant to
    be at all, why build in the capability? I don't see how it relates to
    running off in any way.

    I suppose I would suggest that failing to do a spell check might be
    considered rude as could the use of all CAPS.

    Sorry I don't have an answer to the original question.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:58:54 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Sam wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>> Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>
    >> ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >> crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >> anyone could answer.
    >
    > It would seem to me not to be rude, rather, unlike many cross post, it
    >applies to more than one group. After all if cross posting was not meant to
    >be at all, why build in the capability? I don't see how it relates to
    >running off in any way.
    >
    > I suppose I would suggest that failing to do a spell check might be
    >considered rude as could the use of all CAPS.
    >

    The all caps was correct here (emphasis). The other thing was a typing
    error not a spelling error, and was easly read correctly. None of this
    is relevant to crossposting being rude. Why don't you say something
    about that?

    > Sorry I don't have an answer to the original question.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:50:39 -0500, Sam wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >
    >ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >anyone could answer.

    Sorry, but why is crossposting rude when the subject is clearly asking
    about Tivo and ReplayTV? Is it better to cut&paste to each separately?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:02:09 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:50:39 -0500, Sam wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>
    >>ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >>crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >>anyone could answer.
    >
    >Sorry, but why is crossposting rude when the subject is clearly asking
    >about Tivo and ReplayTV? Is it better to cut&paste to each separately?

    Why didn't you read the answer I already gave?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I prefer that one cross post rather than cross dress.
    Cross dressing is gross and indecent.
    Not much you can do about it though, some people feel compelled.

    >>>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>
    >>ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >>crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >>anyone could answer.
    >
    >Sorry, but why is crossposting rude when the subject is clearly asking
    >about Tivo and ReplayTV? Is it better to cut&paste to each separately?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:14:06 -0400, Remove _NOSPAM_
    <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I prefer that one cross post rather than cross dress.

    That's something I hadn't really thought about, although I suppose if
    someone I liked was into cross dressing, I'd have no real problem
    getting used to it, although I wouldn't do it myself. Certaintly
    easier than that wierd "effiminate" behavior.

    >Cross dressing is gross and indecent.

    Then you don't have to do it. The problem with cross posting is that
    it effects people woh DON'T like it.

    >Not much you can do about it though, some people feel compelled.
    >
    >>>>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>>>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>>
    >>>ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >>>crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >>>anyone could answer.
    >>
    >>Sorry, but why is crossposting rude when the subject is clearly asking
    >>about Tivo and ReplayTV? Is it better to cut&paste to each separately?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:35:01 -0500, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard
    Steiner) wrote:

    >Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv, Sam spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>
    >>ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >>crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >>anyone could answer.
    >
    >I don't understand your logic at all. His question applies to either
    >of the two units, so it was quite proper for him to crosspost to the
    >two newsgroups dealing with his question.
    >
    >Crossposting is explicity intended for such situations.
    >
    >To the original poster: I have no idea, since I don't record DVDs here
    >at home. Perhaps a Google Groups search could help:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    Crossposting in a non-emergency situation is a sign of impatience. The
    original poster may be too impatient to use Google.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:50:39 -0500, Sam spoketh

    >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >
    >ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >anyone could answer.

    There is nothing wrong with cross-posting as long as it is limited to a
    few, relevant groups. What you are objecting to are probably
    "multi-posting", which is posting the same question in multiple groups.


    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
    Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:48:16 GMT, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:50:39 -0500, Sam spoketh
    >
    >>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >>>Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>
    >>ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >>crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >>anyone could answer.
    >
    >There is nothing wrong with cross-posting as long as it is limited to a
    >few, relevant groups. What you are objecting to are probably
    >"multi-posting", which is posting the same question in multiple groups.
    >

    Yes, that's worse. One reason is that multi-postigs gets around the
    crosspost checking in many newsreaders. It's also preferred by
    spammers for that and other reasons.

    I'm not sure how to set it up, but supposedly, appropriate
    crossposting is OK if you use the "Reply-To" header to specify the
    newsgroup for replies.

    >
    >
    >Lars M. Hansen
    >www.hansenonline.net
    >Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
    >"If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com> writes:

    > I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    > Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff

    Real easy on one of the Pioneer DVD-R/Tivo boxes. A friend does DirecTivo to
    standalone RCA DVD-R/RW as well. In fact cheaper to get a MkII Tivo and DVD-R
    untill the Pioneer drops to about $350.

    Rick.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Sam wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:58:54 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:36:00 GMT, Pander <pannder@notmyemail.com>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy
    >>>> from Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >>>
    >>> ANOTHER case where I could amswer, but don't support the rudeness of
    >>> crossposting. It's like asking a question and running off before
    >>> anyone could answer.
    >>
    >> It would seem to me not to be rude, rather, unlike many cross
    >> post, it applies to more than one group. After all if cross posting
    >> was not meant to be at all, why build in the capability? I don't
    >> see how it relates to running off in any way.
    >>
    >> I suppose I would suggest that failing to do a spell check might
    >> be considered rude as could the use of all CAPS.
    >>
    >
    > The all caps was correct here (emphasis). The other thing was a typing
    > error not a spelling error, and was easly read correctly. None of this
    > is relevant to crossposting being rude. Why don't you say something
    > about that?

    Well I did say something about that (cross posting)

    "It would seem to me not to be rude, rather, unlike many cross post, it
    applies to more than one group."

    Frankly I don't believe that all cross posting is rude.

    >
    >> Sorry I don't have an answer to the original question.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:47:13 -0500, Gary spoketh

    >
    >Yes, that's worse. One reason is that multi-postigs gets around the
    >crosspost checking in many newsreaders. It's also preferred by
    >spammers for that and other reasons.
    >
    >I'm not sure how to set it up, but supposedly, appropriate
    >crossposting is OK if you use the "Reply-To" header to specify the
    >newsgroup for replies.
    >

    If the discussion is relevant to the groups the message is being
    crossposted to, there should be no reason to set the followups at all.
    In this instance, the original question was regarding Tivo and ReplayTV,
    so the discussion would be relevant in both the Tivo and ReplayTV
    groups. Only when the thread branches out to discuss one or the other
    would it be appropriate to set the follow-up to point to only one of the
    groups.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
    (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Man you people are the Rudest bunch of S.O.B.'s I have ever seen. This
    poor guy simply asked a very valid question. Being New as he stated,
    jeez cut some slack will yah..A bit toooooooooo Anal are
    we...??..he..he.. After all this is a Replay TV group is it
    Not??..Please excuse me for being so stupid, but if you donot know
    something I always found it best to ask, until now I guess. This
    generation of society is just way to tight for me. And trust me I am
    not all that old.........One Disgusted Hippy.


    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:06:47 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:47:13 -0500, Gary spoketh
    >
    >>
    >>Yes, that's worse. One reason is that multi-postigs gets around the
    >>crosspost checking in many newsreaders. It's also preferred by
    >>spammers for that and other reasons.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure how to set it up, but supposedly, appropriate
    >>crossposting is OK if you use the "Reply-To" header to specify the
    >>newsgroup for replies.
    >>
    >
    >If the discussion is relevant to the groups the message is being
    >crossposted to, there should be no reason to set the followups at all.
    >In this instance, the original question was regarding Tivo and ReplayTV,
    >so the discussion would be relevant in both the Tivo and ReplayTV
    >groups. Only when the thread branches out to discuss one or the other
    >would it be appropriate to set the follow-up to point to only one of the
    >groups.
    >
    >Lars M. Hansen
    >http://www.hansenonline.net
    >(replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    if youre just using a standalone dvd recorder, you just plug the analog
    video and audio outs into it and you're fine. if you're talking about
    moving shows over to your PC from the tivo and burning from there, no it's
    not easy. it requires quite a bit of hacking to enable a tivo to do this.
    you'll need to be a fairly computer literate person and have to do a lot of
    reading in www.dealdatabase.com - the reply TV i understand is easier in
    this regard but i've never used one.


    "Pander" <pannder@notmyemail.com> wrote in message
    news:1ru8g0tohjo8vl0r9bftst9q570d6ujaot@4ax.com...
    > I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    > Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:40:42 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:

    >if youre just using a standalone dvd recorder, you just plug the analog
    >video and audio outs into it and you're fine. if you're talking about
    >moving shows over to your PC from the tivo and burning from there, no it's
    >not easy. it requires quite a bit of hacking to enable a tivo to do this.
    >you'll need to be a fairly computer literate person and have to do a lot of
    >reading in www.dealdatabase.com - the reply TV i understand is easier in
    >this regard but i've never used one.
    >

    And I've never used a TiVo. It is easy with a Replay.

    >
    >"Pander" <pannder@notmyemail.com> wrote in message
    >news:1ru8g0tohjo8vl0r9bftst9q570d6ujaot@4ax.com...
    >> I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    >> Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <e3sNc.4$Mr3.1@trndny08>, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:

    > if youre just using a standalone dvd recorder, you just plug the analog
    > video and audio outs into it and you're fine. if you're talking about
    > moving shows over to your PC from the tivo and burning from there, no it's
    > not easy. it requires quite a bit of hacking to enable a tivo to do this.
    > you'll need to be a fairly computer literate person and have to do a lot of
    > reading in www.dealdatabase.com - the reply TV i understand is easier in
    > this regard but i've never used one.
    >
    >
    > "Pander" <pannder@notmyemail.com> wrote in message
    > news:1ru8g0tohjo8vl0r9bftst9q570d6ujaot@4ax.com...
    > > I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    > > Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff


    Or with a Series 1 Tivo and a Macintosh its quite easy.

    http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
    news:rmarkoff-15FDF7.09184727072004@news4.west.earthlink.net...
    > In article <e3sNc.4$Mr3.1@trndny08>, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > if youre just using a standalone dvd recorder, you just plug the analog
    > > video and audio outs into it and you're fine. if you're talking about
    > > moving shows over to your PC from the tivo and burning from there, no
    it's
    > > not easy. it requires quite a bit of hacking to enable a tivo to do
    this.
    > > you'll need to be a fairly computer literate person and have to do a lot
    of
    > > reading in www.dealdatabase.com - the reply TV i understand is easier in
    > > this regard but i've never used one.
    > >
    > >
    > > "Pander" <pannder@notmyemail.com> wrote in message
    > > news:1ru8g0tohjo8vl0r9bftst9q570d6ujaot@4ax.com...
    > > > I am a relative newbie, and am wondering how readily I can copy from
    > > > Tivo/ReplayTV to a DVD-R. Thanks, Jeff
    >
    >
    > Or with a Series 1 Tivo and a Macintosh its quite easy.
    >
    > http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/

    reading that doc above, this part is the trick:

    Required:
    TiVo Series 1 with Telnet, FTP access and an ethernet card (if you haven't
    gotten this far, it's very easy to do...check out the forums on TiVo
    Community).

    this is where the computer literacy part comes in.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >Man you people are the Rudest bunch of S.O.B.'s I have ever seen. This
    >poor guy simply asked a very valid question. Being New as he stated,
    >jeez cut some slack will yah..A bit toooooooooo Anal are
    >we...??..he..he.. After all this is a Replay TV group is it
    >Not??..Please excuse me for being so stupid, but if you donot know
    >something I always found it best to ask, until now I guess. This
    >generation of society is just way to tight for me. And trust me I am
    >not all that old.........One Disgusted Hippy.

    What generation of society are you refering to?


    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:06:47 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    ><badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:47:13 -0500, Gary spoketh
    >>
    >>>
    >>>Yes, that's worse. One reason is that multi-postigs gets around the
    >>>crosspost checking in many newsreaders. It's also preferred by
    >>>spammers for that and other reasons.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not sure how to set it up, but supposedly, appropriate
    >>>crossposting is OK if you use the "Reply-To" header to specify the
    >>>newsgroup for replies.
    >>>
    >>
    >>If the discussion is relevant to the groups the message is being
    >>crossposted to, there should be no reason to set the followups at all.
    >>In this instance, the original question was regarding Tivo and ReplayTV,
    >>so the discussion would be relevant in both the Tivo and ReplayTV
    >>groups. Only when the thread branches out to discuss one or the other
    >>would it be appropriate to set the follow-up to point to only one of the
    >>groups.
    >>
    >>Lars M. Hansen
    >>http://www.hansenonline.net
    >>(replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Replaytv Tivo Video DVD Writers ReplayTV