Should a new replay newsgroup be created for request?

I'm not sure how much work it will be or what is involved with proposing a
new newsgroup, but I would like to see a sister newsgroup devoted to the
simple process of ReplayTV requests. Has anyone already thought of having a
newsgroup devoted strictly to requesting replay shows?

I realize there is a website for handling these types of requests
(poopli.com), and I'm an active user of this excellent service, but there
could be many reasons to have an alternative way to ask for ReplayTV shows.
I can think of a few, and I'm sure other people can think of several, too.

I could see the possibility of a sister newsgroup called something like:
"alt.video.ptv.replaytv.requestshow"
I thought that a newsgroup with a similar name would be easier to find and
access.

I know that newsgroup proposals can be presented at
"news.announce.newsgroups", but I'm not sure of the all difficulties that
are involved. Anyway, I wanted to present the idea here, and I wanted to get
a little feedback from everyone. I'd really like to hear from the current
moderator(s) of this newsgroup before I think about pursuing anything.

If everything seems positive, and it's a somewhat simple process, I'll try
to see what steps are involved to get something like this created.
11 answers Last reply
More about replay newsgroup created request

    You have my vote.
    I second the motion.

    Remove _NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote in

    > You have my vote.
    > I second the motion.
    >
    >>If everything seems positive, and it's a somewhat simple process, I'll
    >>try to see what steps are involved to get something like this created.

    There is a formerly very active YahooGroup (replaytvsharing?) for such a
    purpose, though most have moved to poopli which handles listing available
    shows and fielding requests much better than any threaded newsgroup could.

    Give poopli a try.

    Fwiw, I have disabled my poopli account becuase I have neither the time to
    request and watch shows I don't already have, and the fact that it is
    usually 10-14 hours after I see a request before i can get my hands on the
    remote of my RTV's to send or accept a show.

    "Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message

    > There is a formerly very active YahooGroup (replaytvsharing?) for such a
    > purpose, ...

    I wasn't aware of this. I'll check it out.

    > Give poopli a try.

    Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm already a member. However, I thought
    it would be great to have more than one avenue for requesting shows. :-)

    "John Barrington" <jbarrington at comcast dot net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm already a member. However, I thought
    >it would be great to have more than one avenue for requesting shows. :-)

    That'd just fragment the userbase, making it harder for people to
    connect. You'd either have to request it everywhere or risk missing
    people who have what you need.

    To create an alt group you need to run a newgroup discussion in
    alt.config first, if it isn't approved it won't be carried by the
    major servers.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    My vote would be to stay with poopli. It's free and works well. I
    particularly like the automatic show inventory. I get requests from
    people without ever having to check in and I'm happy to oblige as other
    have for me. You mentioned that you could think of several reasons for
    starting the seperate newsgroup. Care to share them?

    From:John Barrington
    jbarrington at comcast dot net

    > "Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
    >
    >> There is a formerly very active YahooGroup (replaytvsharing?) for
    >> such a purpose, ...
    >
    > I wasn't aware of this. I'll check it out.
    >
    >> Give poopli a try.
    >
    > Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm already a member. However, I
    > thought it would be great to have more than one avenue for requesting
    > shows. :-)

    >My vote would be to stay with poopli. It's free and works well. I
    >particularly like the automatic show inventory. I get requests from
    >people without ever having to check in and I'm happy to oblige as other
    >have for me. You mentioned that you could think of several reasons for
    >starting the seperate newsgroup.
    >Care to share them?

    Not data base of what you request.
    Poopli keeps a historical list of what you have requested.
    I don't like that fact.

    Remove _NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Not data base of what you request.
    >Poopli keeps a historical list of what you have requested.
    >I don't like that fact.

    Well, there are also USENet news archives.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    I don't see where they do that but it doesn't really bother me if they
    do. I think the big disadvantage to a NG listing is that the requester
    has to rely on the good graces of people actually logging in to to see
    who needs something they might have. If I needed a show I'd go to the NG
    to post a request but otherwise I probably wouldn't take the time to
    just browse the list of who needs what.
    The real beauty of Poopli is that, if you allow them access to your
    MyReplayTV accounts (which I do on all 5 of my units), a requester can
    see what's available and make a specific request to the person who has
    the show. I hadn't logged onto Poopli for several weeks but I just
    received a couple of show requests this week and responded quickly. In
    other words, rather than my having to be proactive in searching for
    people who need a show I might have, I can be responsive on a passive
    basis.
    If Poopli does maintain a history of my requests I can't really see how
    that would violate my personal security or safety. Other than my email
    address and RTV unit ID numbers they don't know my name, address, phone
    or anything else about me. Other than determining some kind of ranking
    of popular shows that people failed to record for themselves I don't see
    a lot of valuable data to mine.
    There's at least one Yahoo group that's been formed to share shows but
    it's been a lot less active since Poopli was born.

    From:Remove _NOSPAM_
    _NOSPAM_@nospam.com

    >> My vote would be to stay with poopli. It's free and works well. I
    >> particularly like the automatic show inventory. I get requests from
    >> people without ever having to check in and I'm happy to oblige as
    >> other have for me. You mentioned that you could think of several
    >> reasons for starting the seperate newsgroup.
    >> Care to share them?
    >
    > Not data base of what you request.
    > Poopli keeps a historical list of what you have requested.
    > I don't like that fact.

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:58:04 -0400, "John Barrington" <jbarrington at
    comcast dot net> wrote:

    [snip]

    >I guess between the equally divided comments, and what the faq mentioned, I
    >think the idea of a newsgroup for replay requests may have to wait.

    Of course there's the binary newsgroups (which are still there no
    matter how many people forget). However, they could use a good search
    engine.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    >>My vote would be to stay with poopli. It's free and works well. I
    >>particularly like the automatic show inventory. I get requests from
    >>people without ever having to check in and I'm happy to oblige as other
    >>have for me. You mentioned that you could think of several reasons for
    >>starting the seperate newsgroup.
    >>Care to share them?
    >
    > Not data base of what you request.
    > Poopli keeps a historical list of what you have requested.
    > I don't like that fact.

    Hmm.. as opposed to google indexing every newsgroup post?
    I kinda think if you are show sharing via the internet that privacy
    concerns should be pretty low on the scale, at least in a Spock logical
    sense of viewing the world.

    Oh damn, now this post is part of a permanent history as well.<g>
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:11:03 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >Remove _NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote in
    >

    >>>My vote would be to stay with poopli. It's free and works well. I
    >>>particularly like the automatic show inventory. I get requests from
    >>>people without ever having to check in and I'm happy to oblige as other
    >>>have for me. You mentioned that you could think of several reasons for
    >>>starting the seperate newsgroup.
    >>>Care to share them?
    >>
    >> Not data base of what you request.
    >> Poopli keeps a historical list of what you have requested.
    >> I don't like that fact.
    >>

    >Hmm.. as opposed to google indexing every newsgroup post?
    >I kinda think if you are show sharing via the internet that privacy
    >concerns should be pretty low on the scale, at least in a Spock logical
    >sense of viewing the world.
    >
    >Oh damn, now this post is part of a permanent history as well.<g>

    And people still ignore the binaries newsgroups... No record of your
    activities there if you're just reading stuff.

Ptv Replaytv Newsgroup Video ReplayTV