Pioneer CLD 2600 problem

Could someone tell me how to try to clean the lens of my player ?
Sometimes it starts playing the same disc with noisy audio and bad image
quality other times everything is ok.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Alex
14 answers Last reply
More about pioneer cld 2600 problem

    >Could someone tell me how to try to clean the lens of my player ?
    >Sometimes it starts playing the same disc with noisy audio and bad image
    >quality other times everything is ok.
    >Any suggestions ?

    You may want to check the condition of the advance belt. A dirty lens would
    give a constant problem. An intermittent problem may be a sign that the player
    is not elevating the disc high enough consistently to allow the spindle clamp
    to do its job in securing the disc to the hub good enough to prevent slippage.
    - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>Could someone tell me how to try to clean the lens of my player ?
    >>Sometimes it starts playing the same disc with noisy audio and bad image
    >>quality other times everything is ok.
    >>Any suggestions ?
    >

    > You may want to check the condition of the advance belt. A dirty lens would
    > give a constant problem. An intermittent problem may be a sign that the player
    > is not elevating the disc high enough consistently to allow the spindle clamp
    > to do its job in securing the disc to the hub good enough to prevent slippage.
    > - Reinhart

    I have olso another pioneer player that has pick-up problem, do you know
    if is possible to fixate or change it ?
    Where i can found some information? I can repair by myself because i
    have the right instrumentes but i don't know what i have to check.

    Thanks for all !
    Alex

    >I have olso another pioneer player that has pick-up problem, do you know
    >if is possible to fixate or change it ?

    Yes, with the correct materials.

    What is it doing?

    >Where i can found some information? I can repair by myself because i
    >have the right instrumentes but i don't know what i have to check.

    To do any job that requires a recalibration of the optics on a Pioneer
    LaserDisc player, you'll need an oscilliscope, a Pioneer service calibration
    disc, and the player's service literature.

    Without these tools, it will mostly be guesswork with little chance of success.

    The only practical alternative would be replacement of the player if it isn't a
    desirable model to begin with or hiring the services of an experienced
    professional, such as Kurtis Bahr, who is a frequent contributor to
    alt.video.laserdisc. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>I have olso another pioneer player that has pick-up problem, do you know
    >>if is possible to fixate or change it ?
    >

    > Yes, with the correct materials.
    >
    > What is it doing?
    >

    >>Where i can found some information? I can repair by myself because i
    >>have the right instrumentes but i don't know what i have to check.
    >

    > To do any job that requires a recalibration of the optics on a Pioneer
    > LaserDisc player, you'll need an oscilliscope, a Pioneer service calibration
    > disc, and the player's service literature.
    >
    > Without these tools, it will mostly be guesswork with little chance of success.
    >
    > The only practical alternative would be replacement of the player if it isn't a
    > desirable model to begin with or hiring the services of an experienced
    > professional, such as Kurtis Bahr, who is a frequent contributor to
    > alt.video.laserdisc. - Reinhart
    Probably the laser diode is gone ! no power from it. what else should I
    have to check ?
    Is it possible to find the schematics of the player ?

    Thak you for all

    You will be spending well over $100 for a replacement pickup. I suggest
    buying a new working player as it will cost you less.

    Kurtis

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>I have olso another pioneer player that has pick-up problem, do you know
    >>if is possible to fixate or change it ?
    >

    > Yes, with the correct materials.
    >
    > What is it doing?
    >

    >>Where i can found some information? I can repair by myself because i
    >>have the right instrumentes but i don't know what i have to check.
    >

    > To do any job that requires a recalibration of the optics on a Pioneer
    > LaserDisc player, you'll need an oscilliscope, a Pioneer service calibration
    > disc, and the player's service literature.
    >
    > Without these tools, it will mostly be guesswork with little chance of success.
    >
    > The only practical alternative would be replacement of the player if it isn't a
    > desirable model to begin with or hiring the services of an experienced
    > professional, such as Kurtis Bahr, who is a frequent contributor to
    > alt.video.laserdisc. - Reinhart

    I have test the laser diode and it is ok, the pick up goes up and down
    to find the disc when I press the close botton. It try to get the focus
    but the disc doesn't spin up.
    If the tangential adjustment trimmer is shortcut, is possible that the
    motor does'nt spin at all? I'll check that but I have to unscrew a lot
    of things.....

    Thanks

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>I have olso another pioneer player that has pick-up problem, do you know
    >>if is possible to fixate or change it ?
    >

    > Yes, with the correct materials.
    >
    > What is it doing?
    >

    >>Where i can found some information? I can repair by myself because i
    >>have the right instrumentes but i don't know what i have to check.
    >

    > To do any job that requires a recalibration of the optics on a Pioneer
    > LaserDisc player, you'll need an oscilliscope, a Pioneer service calibration
    > disc, and the player's service literature.
    >
    > Without these tools, it will mostly be guesswork with little chance of success.
    >
    > The only practical alternative would be replacement of the player if it isn't a
    > desirable model to begin with or hiring the services of an experienced
    > professional, such as Kurtis Bahr, who is a frequent contributor to
    > alt.video.laserdisc. - Reinhart
    The disc start spinning-up only after the laser gets focused ?
    So if I see the laser trying to get the focus and then the pich-up goes
    back to it's start position probably the problem is that the laser can't
    get the right focus.
    What about the photodiode near the laser diode? what's is function?
    Thanks.

    >I have test the laser diode and it is ok, the pick up goes up and down
    >to find the disc when I press the close botton.

    You mean the optical pickup seems okay.

    What about the laser?

    >It try to get the focus
    >but the disc doesn't spin up

    Tried cleaning the lens and airblasting the inside of the pickup? - Reinhart

    >The disc start spinning-up only after the laser gets focused ?

    The player has to detect the presence of a disc, spin up, and then focus.

    >So if I see the laser trying to get the focus and then the pich-up goes
    >back to it's start position probably the problem is that the laser can't
    >get the right focus.

    Or that the pickup can't determine that there is a disc, due to many factors
    but likely either due to beam interception or a misalignment. - Reinhart

    It the lens is moving up and down, all that means is that the tracking
    detectors in the pickup are looking for a reflection from a disc. This does
    to tell you if the laser is good or bad. It can be bad and do this, it just
    won't ever detect a disc there to spin-up. Also the alignment for the RF
    signal may be good but the focus/tracking sensors could be bad within the
    pickup. Could also be the electronics.

    You can get a good working 2600 for less than $50. This machine is not
    worth the effort unless you are having fun working on it.

    Kurtis

    "LASERandDVDfan" <laseranddvdfan@aol.com> wrote in message

    > >I have test the laser diode and it is ok, the pick up goes up and down
    > >to find the disc when I press the close botton.
    >
    > You mean the optical pickup seems okay.
    >
    > What about the laser?
    >
    > >It try to get the focus
    > >but the disc doesn't spin up
    >
    > Tried cleaning the lens and airblasting the inside of the pickup? -
    Reinhart

    >It the lens is moving up and down, all that means is that the tracking
    >detectors in the pickup are looking for a reflection from a disc.

    As you already know, it also means that at least the voice coils for the
    objective lens focus are working. But, of course, something is keeping the
    player from detecting the disc reliably. It can be something as minor as dust
    to something as major as smoke damage or worn components.

    >You can get a good working 2600 for less than $50. This machine is not
    >worth the effort unless you are having fun working on it.

    This is the best answer for the original poster, I'm afraid. - Reinhart

    Kurtis Bahr wrote:
    > It the lens is moving up and down, all that means is that the tracking
    > detectors in the pickup are looking for a reflection from a disc. This does
    > to tell you if the laser is good or bad. It can be bad and do this, it just
    > won't ever detect a disc there to spin-up. Also the alignment for the RF
    > signal may be good but the focus/tracking sensors could be bad within the
    > pickup. Could also be the electronics.
    >
    > You can get a good working 2600 for less than $50. This machine is not
    > worth the effort unless you are having fun working on it.
    >
    > Kurtis
    >
    > "LASERandDVDfan" <laseranddvdfan@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I have test the laser diode and it is ok, the pick up goes up and down
    >>>to find the disc when I press the close botton.
    >>
    >>You mean the optical pickup seems okay.
    >>
    >>What about the laser?
    >>

    >>>It try to get the focus
    >>>but the disc doesn't spin up
    >>
    >>Tried cleaning the lens and airblasting the inside of the pickup? -
    >
    > Reinhart

    I'd like to repair it, do you think I can buy the laser from somewhere ?
    I have tested the laser diode and it power up but I think that the
    photodiode are gone. This explains why the disc does't spin up at all.
    I'm right !
    Is there a way to test the photodiode ?
    Finally where can I get another 2600 ?

    >I'd like to repair it, do you think I can buy the laser from somewhere ?

    You can't just get a replacement pickup and slap it in there, expecting
    everything to work again. The new pickup has to be recalibrated, and you can't
    do that without the service manual, correct calibration disc, an oscilliscope,
    and the correct tools.

    The service manual tells you what to adjust and shows you how it's supposed to
    look on an oscilliscope. The calibraiton disc provides the signal necessary to
    get the oscillisope to work with the player in a way that can allow you to make
    accurate adjustments according to the service literature. The oscilliscope is
    the source of what you need to see to determine where you're going when making
    the adjustments. The correct tools will allow you to make all the adjustments
    necessary.

    Besides, a replacement pickup may cost more than what the player is worth.

    I think it's time that you started shopping around for a replacement player.
    One resource can be eBay. - Reinahrt

    To test this you have to probe the circuit board and find the "A" and "C"
    signals are present, then you have to trace them through the electronics if
    they are good to find out why the spindle does not spin. You cannot replace
    any parts within the pickup assembly, you have to replace the complete unit.
    As Reinhart stated then you have to align the pickup and adjust the
    electronics for the characteristics of that pickup. A LD-V2600 is not worth
    this effort. One person is selling them constantly on eBay for $39.99 I
    believe and having trouble selling them. I can sell you a LD-V4400 for the
    same price that is working.

    As I said before, if you are doing this for yourself then have fun. Remember
    you will spend many times more than the value of the unit.

    > Kurtis Bahr wrote:
    > > It the lens is moving up and down, all that means is that the tracking
    > > detectors in the pickup are looking for a reflection from a disc. This
    does
    > > to tell you if the laser is good or bad. It can be bad and do this, it
    just
    > > won't ever detect a disc there to spin-up. Also the alignment for the
    RF
    > > signal may be good but the focus/tracking sensors could be bad within
    the
    > > pickup. Could also be the electronics.
    > >
    > > You can get a good working 2600 for less than $50. This machine is not
    > > worth the effort unless you are having fun working on it.
    > >
    > > Kurtis
    > >
    > > "LASERandDVDfan" <laseranddvdfan@aol.com> wrote in message

    > >>You mean the optical pickup seems okay.
    > >>
    > >>What about the laser?

    > >>Tried cleaning the lens and airblasting the inside of the pickup? -
    > >
    > > Reinhart
    > >

    > I'd like to repair it, do you think I can buy the laser from somewhere ?
    > I have tested the laser diode and it power up but I think that the
    > photodiode are gone. This explains why the disc does't spin up at all.
    > I'm right !
    > Is there a way to test the photodiode ?
    > Finally where can I get another 2600 ?

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Video Product