I have a hoEnginle in my engine block I want to know if this can be fixed?

empressmarie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
My car overheated one night on my way to work made it to work then I got some antifreeze in it then it started to get hot quickly after that I took it to a shop they had to wait til it cooled off then he said I HAD a major problem a hole in the engine block if I want to drive it I would have to put water in it before driving every time I want to know if this problem can be fixed and if so how its a 96 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo v6 I had it for a few Yeats paid 500 for it been in one wreck the water pump went out a few years ago had it replaces then a piece of the catalytic converter broke off in the exhaust

Solution
If you have a hole in the block then it's no good. You'll need a new block. It's kind of weird that the mechanic said you can drive it as long as you put coolant in before.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
If you have a hole in the block then it's no good. You'll need a new block. It's kind of weird that the mechanic said you can drive it as long as you put coolant in before.

Solution

donte66

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
and it cut off my son put some antifreeze and water in it and was able to make it home when I checked the oil its milky does that mean that my engine it my block is it's nothing leaking on the ground but the water he put in it went straight to the motor

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
So you have coolant entering the crankcase then. How did the mechanic figure out that you have a cracked block then? You would more likely have a head gasket failure or a cracked head. A cracked block can do that but the gasket and the head are a much more common problem. They are also cheaper to fix as well. Is your exhaust smoke white at all? Does your cooling system pressure up while the engine is running? Also just so you know coolant in the oil will affect the lubricity of it and can cause damage over time to other components so if you have hopes on saving the engine then don't drive it much.