which unit to start with

I am new to dvb/fta and want to get started with a pci card or a receiver
but have little knowledge in this area. there is a dealer around me that
will sell me a topfield ird and motorized dish for less then 400 canadian, I
am not sure how good the top field brand is and well what to look for in a
motorized dish. any advice would be apprieciated

thank you
13 answers Last reply
More about unit start
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:33:02 GMT, "Gord" <gordano@rogers.com> wrote:

    >I am new to dvb/fta and want to get started with a pci card or a receiver
    >but have little knowledge in this area. there is a dealer around me that
    >will sell me a topfield ird and motorized dish for less then 400 canadian, I
    >am not sure how good the top field brand is and well what to look for in a
    >motorized dish. any advice would be apprieciated

    Never heard of topfield. I would suggest a Win-TV nexus PCI card for
    the PC or a Pansat 2500 for a set top box. Both are top notch. You
    really can't get anything better.

    I don't know much about motors, but I have this one:
    http://www.futurevisionsat.com/catalog/item/548162/517717.htm
    It was cheap and works great.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Topfield is one of the top rated receivers in Europe. If someone hasn't
    heard of them it is only because they don't read reviews of products outside
    of the US. Topfield just recently begun to establish distribution in North
    America.

    To be up front .... before I give a review ....We are a distributor of
    Topfield, but the reason we became a dealer is after we installed one of
    their receivers and fell in love with it!

    The line is Awesome! The menus are logical and the software is very well
    written. They support DiSEqC 1.2 (USALS) for ease of installation of a
    motorized dish and have an excellent picture. Fast lock on channel changes,
    the audio appears a split second after channel change and the video is very
    soon after.

    I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    purchasing.

    What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum of 75cm
    but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are created
    equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to watch
    several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD, but
    most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support for
    USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your first.

    $400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad the
    importation taxes are ......

    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

    "kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:33:02 GMT, "Gord" <gordano@rogers.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am new to dvb/fta and want to get started with a pci card or a receiver
    > >but have little knowledge in this area. there is a dealer around me that
    > >will sell me a topfield ird and motorized dish for less then 400
    canadian, I
    > >am not sure how good the top field brand is and well what to look for in
    > >motorized dish. any advice would be apprieciated
    >
    > Never heard of topfield. I would suggest a Win-TV nexus PCI card for
    > the PC or a Pansat 2500 for a set top box. Both are top notch. You
    > really can't get anything better.
    >
    > I don't know much about motors, but I have this one:
    > http://www.futurevisionsat.com/catalog/item/548162/517717.htm
    > It was cheap and works great.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Oops, just read reply ... I made a mistake .... meant to state that the
    TopField TF300Fi supports DiSEqC 1.3 (USALS) not 1.2 .... Sorry!

    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com
    "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Topfield is one of the top rated receivers in Europe. If someone hasn't
    > heard of them it is only because they don't read reviews of products
    outside
    > of the US. Topfield just recently begun to establish distribution in North
    > America.
    >
    > To be up front .... before I give a review ....We are a distributor of
    > Topfield, but the reason we became a dealer is after we installed one of
    > their receivers and fell in love with it!
    >
    > The line is Awesome! The menus are logical and the software is very well
    > written. They support DiSEqC 1.2 (USALS) for ease of installation of a
    > motorized dish and have an excellent picture. Fast lock on channel
    changes,
    > the audio appears a split second after channel change and the video is
    very
    > soon after.
    >
    > I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    > purchasing.
    >
    > What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum of
    75cm
    > but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are
    created
    > equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to
    watch
    > several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD, but
    > most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support for
    > USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your first.
    >
    > $400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad the
    > importation taxes are ......
    >
    > -------------------
    > Brian Gohl
    > Satellite Audio Video
    > http://www.adventistsat.com
    >

    > "kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:33:02 GMT, "Gord" <gordano@rogers.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I am new to dvb/fta and want to get started with a pci card or a
    receiver
    > > >but have little knowledge in this area. there is a dealer around me
    that
    > > >will sell me a topfield ird and motorized dish for less then 400
    > canadian, I
    > > >am not sure how good the top field brand is and well what to look for
    in
    > > >motorized dish. any advice would be apprieciated
    > >
    > > Never heard of topfield. I would suggest a Win-TV nexus PCI card for
    > > the PC or a Pansat 2500 for a set top box. Both are top notch. You
    > > really can't get anything better.
    > >
    > > I don't know much about motors, but I have this one:
    > > http://www.futurevisionsat.com/catalog/item/548162/517717.htm
    > > It was cheap and works great.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:33:19 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Topfield is one of the top rated receivers in Europe. If someone hasn't
    >heard of them it is only because they don't read reviews of products outside
    >of the US. Topfield just recently begun to establish distribution in North
    >America.

    Last time I checked, we are in North America. Personally I prefer to
    support American products. I doubt this guy cares about SCART
    connections.

    >To be up front .... before I give a review ....We are a distributor of
    >Topfield, but the reason we became a dealer is after we installed one of
    >their receivers and fell in love with it!

    ...big surprise here. I would think you fell in love with your cost of
    the unit.

    >The line is Awesome! The menus are logical and the software is very well
    >written. They support DiSEqC 1.2 (USALS) for ease of installation of a
    >motorized dish and have an excellent picture. Fast lock on channel changes,
    >the audio appears a split second after channel change and the video is very
    >soon after.

    Are you trying to imply it is somehow superior to the Pansat 2500a?
    Audio and video appear instantaneously on these units after a channel
    change, not later.
    How about blind search and AC3?

    >I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    >purchasing.

    That's what they said about my first Satcruiser101.

    >What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum of 75cm
    >but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are created
    >equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to watch
    >several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD, but
    >most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support for
    >USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your first.
    >
    >$400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad the
    >importation taxes are ......
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Kryppy,

    Sorry that you feel that it is necessary to address a product in such a
    negative manner of which you have no knowledge, owned or operated. Please
    review, better yet, test the product before passing your judgment.

    I am sorry to report that the Topfield does not offer the SCART connection
    that you have mentioned in the TF300Fi version released in North America.
    There is very little use for that type of connection in NA, unless one wants
    to connect a RGB cable to a monitor yielding a higher quality image.

    Yes, it is unfortunate that the wholesale price on the unit is higher than
    most others, but we felt that it is a quality product and warrants the
    increased price.

    The gentleman that started this thread is interested in an entry level
    receiver. For this application, the TR3000Fi is an excellent example of a
    mid priced unit that is loaded with features. I would not compare this to a
    2500a, because as you know, that is comparing oranges to apples. Blind
    Search is a wonderful feature as is AC3, but those are not the features that
    this person was asking about. He was asking if anyone knew about the
    Topfield product line ..... I do and am upfront with the fact that I am a
    dealer.

    The Topfield changes channels as fast as the 2500a, and I would venture to
    say the audio locks even a bit quicker. I'm sorry that you had the
    impression that I was comparing the TF300Fi to any receiver outside of those
    in its own product group!

    Would you would like to learn more about this receiver? If so, we could
    arrange for a demonstration unit if you would wish to review and post your
    findings for the group.
    -------------------

    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:33:19 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Topfield is one of the top rated receivers in Europe. If someone hasn't
    > >heard of them it is only because they don't read reviews of products outs
    ide
    > >of the US. Topfield just recently begun to establish distribution in
    North
    > >America.
    > >

    > Last time I checked, we are in North America. Personally I prefer to
    > support American products. I doubt this guy cares about SCART
    > connections.
    >
    > >To be up front .... before I give a review ....We are a distributor of
    > >Topfield, but the reason we became a dealer is after we installed one of
    > >their receivers and fell in love with it!
    > >
    > ..big surprise here. I would think you fell in love with your cost of
    > the unit.
    >
    > >The line is Awesome! The menus are logical and the software is very well
    > >written. They support DiSEqC 1.2 (USALS) for ease of installation of a
    > >motorized dish and have an excellent picture. Fast lock on channel
    changes,
    > >the audio appears a split second after channel change and the video is
    very
    > >soon after.
    > >
    > Are you trying to imply it is somehow superior to the Pansat 2500a?
    > Audio and video appear instantaneously on these units after a channel
    > change, not later.
    > How about blind search and AC3?
    >

    > >I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    > >purchasing.
    >
    > That's what they said about my first Satcruiser101.
    >
    > >What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum of
    75cm
    > >but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are
    created
    > >equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to
    watch
    > >several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD, but
    > >most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support for
    > >USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your first.
    > >
    > >$400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad the
    > >importation taxes are ......

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Which DVBS is built in the US? I will right beside you supporting the US
    product .... if one exists!
    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

    > Last time I checked, we are in North America. Personally I prefer to
    > support American products. I doubt this guy cares about SCART
    > connections.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    from what I have seen so far the topfield seems to offer quite a bit for the
    money, I don't seem to find much info on the net on them tho, right now it
    is a toss up between an ird and pci card. can you tell me what the DiSEqC
    1.3 (USALS) over DiSEqC 1.2, is it really a must have

    > Oops, just read reply ... I made a mistake .... meant to state that the
    > TopField TF300Fi supports DiSEqC 1.3 (USALS) not 1.2 .... Sorry!
    >
    > -------------------
    > Brian Gohl
    > Satellite Audio Video
    > http://www.adventistsat.com
    > "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Topfield is one of the top rated receivers in Europe. If someone hasn't
    > > heard of them it is only because they don't read reviews of products
    > outside
    > > of the US. Topfield just recently begun to establish distribution in
    North
    > > America.
    > >
    > > To be up front .... before I give a review ....We are a distributor of
    > > Topfield, but the reason we became a dealer is after we installed one of
    > > their receivers and fell in love with it!
    > >
    > > The line is Awesome! The menus are logical and the software is very well
    > > written. They support DiSEqC 1.2 (USALS) for ease of installation of a
    > > motorized dish and have an excellent picture. Fast lock on channel
    > changes,
    > > the audio appears a split second after channel change and the video is
    > very
    > > soon after.
    > >
    > > I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    > > purchasing.
    > >
    > > What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum of
    > 75cm
    > > but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are
    > created
    > > equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to
    > watch
    > > several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD,
    but
    > > most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support for
    > > USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your
    first.

    > > $400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad
    the
    > > importation taxes are ......
    > >
    > > -------------------
    > > Brian Gohl
    > > Satellite Audio Video
    > > http://www.adventistsat.com
    > >

    > > "kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message

    > receiver
    > that
    > > canadian, I
    > in
    > > >
    > > > Never heard of topfield. I would suggest a Win-TV nexus PCI card for
    > > > the PC or a Pansat 2500 for a set top box. Both are top notch. You
    > > > really can't get anything better.
    > > >
    > > > I don't know much about motors, but I have this one:
    > > > http://www.futurevisionsat.com/catalog/item/548162/517717.htm
    > > > It was cheap and works great.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    I have a Chaintech PCI satellite card for sale if you are interested. $50
    plus shipping! According to Brian, works with several software packages.

    Skip
    "Gord" <gordano@rogers.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > >
    > > > I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    > > > purchasing.
    > > >
    > > > What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum
    of
    > > 75cm
    > > > but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are
    > > created
    > > > equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to
    > > watch
    > > > several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD,
    > but
    > > > most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support
    for
    > > > USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your
    > first.
    > > >
    > > > $400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad

  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    With DiSEqC 1.3 you enter your longitude and latitude, choose the satellite
    and the receiver will drive the dish motor to the proper obital slot. With
    DiSEqC 1.2 you need to locate the satellite position for each satellite that
    you program.
    -------------------
    Brian Gohl
    Satellite Audio Video
    http://www.adventistsat.com

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > I would highly recommend this as a receiver that you will not regret
    > > > purchasing.
    > > >
    > > > What type of motor are you looking at? Dish size should be a minimum
    of
    > > 75cm
    > > > but I would recommend a 90cm. Read the specs ... not all dishes are
    > > created
    > > > equal. PCI cards will add the benefit of a dvr function and ability to
    > > watch
    > > > several channels or record at one time off of a single satellite, HD,
    > but
    > > > most only offer DiSEqC 1.2, but there are some after market support
    for
    > > > USALS. Probably would be better as a 2nd receiver rather than your
    > first.
    > > >
    > > > $400 sounds a bit high, but I am not sure of the exchange and how bad

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:17:02 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Kryppy,
    >
    >Sorry that you feel that it is necessary to address a product in such a
    >negative manner of which you have no knowledge, owned or operated. Please
    >review, better yet, test the product before passing your judgment.

    In this day and age, another mpeg receiver without AC3 or blind search
    seems practically worthless to me.
    One would be better to get a used Samsung for $20 if they want one
    specific identified channel and aren't into the hobby of FTA.

    >I am sorry to report that the Topfield does not offer the SCART connection
    >that you have mentioned in the TF300Fi version released in North America.
    >There is very little use for that type of connection in NA, unless one wants
    >to connect a RGB cable to a monitor yielding a higher quality image.
    >
    >Yes, it is unfortunate that the wholesale price on the unit is higher than
    >most others, but we felt that it is a quality product and warrants the
    >increased price.

    Higher quality? Don't they all receive the same stuff? Does this unit
    have a better picture than say any of the other cheap knockoffs
    available?
    Does it use less power?
    Is it more sensitive?
    Will it last longer than my old 2700cas?
    Does it have a PC channel editor?

    >The gentleman that started this thread is interested in an entry level
    >receiver. For this application, the TR3000Fi is an excellent example of a
    >mid priced unit that is loaded with features. I would not compare this to a
    >2500a, because as you know, that is comparing oranges to apples. Blind
    >Search is a wonderful feature as is AC3, but those are not the features that
    >this person was asking about. He was asking if anyone knew about the
    >Topfield product line ..... I do and am upfront with the fact that I am a
    >dealer.
    >
    > The Topfield changes channels as fast as the 2500a, and I would venture to
    >say the audio locks even a bit quicker. I'm sorry that you had the
    >impression that I was comparing the TF300Fi to any receiver outside of those
    >in its own product group!

    I'm sorry, but this is not possible. The 2500a changes channels
    instantaneously. I was quite shocked myself having used most every DVB
    receiver ever offered since the beginning.

    >Would you would like to learn more about this receiver? If so, we could
    >arrange for a demonstration unit if you would wish to review and post your
    >findings for the group.

    If they are worth any ones time, I can assure you I will see one very
    soon. Thank you for the offer.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:27:08 -0700, "Brian" <b.gohl@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Which DVBS is built in the US? I will right beside you supporting the US
    >product .... if one exists!

    Pansat might be built in Korea, but the money and software developers
    are in the USA. Look at the box. :)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 02:49:40 GMT, "Gord" <gordano@rogers.com> wrote:

    >from what I have seen so far the topfield seems to offer quite a bit for the
    >money, I don't seem to find much info on the net on them tho, right now it
    >is a toss up between an ird and pci card. can you tell me what the DiSEqC
    >1.3 (USALS) over DiSEqC 1.2, is it really a must have

    USALS is only an issue if you have a Diseq motorized dish.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    is there a PVR model available from TopField? how much and how well does
    it work seeing that there typically arent any programming guides

MPEG DVB Video