5040 Boot Failure

Hi,

I have a 5040 (unmodified, with the original hard drive in it) that I have
been using for about a year. While watching a show today, the unit locked
up and the screen was frozen. The only option was to power the unit off/on.
After doing so, the unit will not boot at all. No screens or anything come
up. I have tried the other suggestions on this NG and on Replay's site
(disconnect the network, disconnect all connections except for the TV out,
unplugging the unit for a while), none of which helped.

Regardless of whether I hold the power button in or unplug it, I get the
same results: Blue Light comes on, screen goes black for a few seconds,
then the black screen goes away, and that's it - no Replay screens at all.
The hard drive sounds like it is spinning, and the fan is running, but other
than that, it appears to be dead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about 5040 boot failure

    I just got back from Fry's Electronics where I bought a Maxtor 250GB hard
    drive for $130 with no rebate required. If I was faced with your ReplayTV
    problem, I'd be prepping this drive for installation into my ReplayTV. Most
    ReplayTV problems of this type are caused by hard drive problems. Not always
    hard drive failures, but at least data corruption. This leads to the
    symptoms you are seeing.

    At a minimum, you need to pull the hard drive and subject it to the most
    recent Maxtor diagnostics from their web site; both non-destructive and
    destructive. If it passes perfectly after a full low-level format, then
    re-image with a virgin 5000 series image and pop it back in. Better yet,
    prep a big Maxtor and pop that in. If your current drive fails any of the
    Maxtor tests, it's possibly still in the Maxtor warranty. You can get an RMA
    number right off their web site by giving them the diagnostic error codes
    you get plus the model and serial number.

    Virgin images:

    http://rgb.cc/replaytv/

    RTVPatch:

    Bye.

    > I have a 5040 (unmodified, with the original hard drive in it) that I have
    > been using for about a year. While watching a show today, the unit locked
    > up and the screen was frozen. The only option was to power the unit
    off/on.
    > After doing so, the unit will not boot at all. No screens or anything
    come
    > up. I have tried the other suggestions on this NG and on Replay's site
    > (disconnect the network, disconnect all connections except for the TV out,
    > unplugging the unit for a while), none of which helped.
    >
    > Regardless of whether I hold the power button in or unplug it, I get the
    > same results: Blue Light comes on, screen goes black for a few seconds,
    > then the black screen goes away, and that's it - no Replay screens at all.
    > The hard drive sounds like it is spinning, and the fan is running, but
    other
    > than that, it appears to be dead.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks