Sounds Like ReplayTV is going away

7 answers Last reply
More about sounds replaytv

    This has always been a ponzi scheme and it is finally catching up to us. The
    real question is what the "further corrective measures" will be taken next
    march when RTV is still bleeding red. Other than the month to month subscribers
    they will be terminating their revenue base when they sell off the last of the
    5xxxs.
    This is a lot like the social security mess. All the money is gone and there
    are a bunch of people who think they bought a lifetime of coverage.

    Greg wrote:
    > This has always been a ponzi scheme and it is finally catching up to us. The
    > real question is what the "further corrective measures" will be taken next
    > march when RTV is still bleeding red. Other than the month to month subscribers
    > they will be terminating their revenue base when they sell off the last of the
    > 5xxxs.
    > This is a lot like the social security mess. All the money is gone and there
    > are a bunch of people who think they bought a lifetime of coverage.

    You seem to be very confused. DNNA is a robust company, whose last
    financial report says Replay is not losing money. The new series of
    Denon media servers is based on Replay. Tivo, on the other hand, IS
    bleeding large amounts of cash and cannot continue much longer without
    aquiring a buyer. The leading contenders are all content providers,
    which would be a death knell. Instead of making up silly scenarios, call
    a broker.

    >DNNA is a robust company, whose last
    >financial report says Replay is not losing money.

    HUH?
    http://www.dm-holdings.com./pdf/pdf_690.pdf
    Scroll down a few pages and you will see the paragraph about RTV and it says
    they will post a loss.
    D&M is making money but the RTV division has NEVER made money.
    Not for RTV which went belly up, nor Sonic Blue that went belly up, nor the RTV
    division of D&M. They got RTV in a fire sale, they are going to skim whatever
    cream there is and then it will be sold or just allowed to die.
    They admit the stand alone PVR is going to be a dead end product and if they
    can't get a business partner and turn this thing around by next year they will
    take "further corrective measures" to the red ink problem.

    From the cited report: "Consistent with D&M's networked digital home
    entertainment product strategy, ReplayTV will continue to service its
    installed base and market premium branded networked products and combination
    products."

    arthur wrote:
    > From the cited report: "Consistent with D&M's networked digital home
    > entertainment product strategy, ReplayTV will continue to service its
    > installed base and market premium branded networked products and combination
    > products."

    I was too polite to tell the dope he couldn't read. Wait till he calls a
    finance guy and compares DNNA and Tivo. He also couldn't read they
    expect Replay to be in the black in 3rd quarter as the aquisition costs
    are absorbed.

    I'm new to the PVR world and to this newsgroup.

    I have a RTV4040, and I know that it can record manually. However, are there
    any PVR units being developed by anyone that will act like a regular
    stand-alone VCR without subscribing to a TV-guide type service? All that I
    really need is a reccording device that has substituted a hard drive for a
    VHS tape head.

    The TV-guide service is nice feature to have, but if I can find a PVR device
    that I can manually set up the channels, record when I want, and have the
    pause while recording ahead feature, I don't really need the TV-guide type
    service in a PVR device.

    John Barrington wrote:

    > I'm new to the PVR world and to this newsgroup.
    >
    > I have a RTV4040, and I know that it can record manually. However, are there
    > any PVR units being developed by anyone that will act like a regular
    > stand-alone VCR without subscribing to a TV-guide type service? All that I
    > really need is a reccording device that has substituted a hard drive for a
    > VHS tape head.

    Those already exist on the consumer market, e.g.:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001ZROQM/qid=1088764595/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/104-4890385-6087116?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

    The computer geek market has plenty of cheap TV tuner cards with
    software to do what you want.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

Ptv Replaytv Video ReplayTV