Can a directv switch be used for fta

I have a 4x4 switch that was used to attach 2 DirecTV dishes to 3 recievers, but
now we've abandoned DTV for an fta system. I'm wondering if I can put multiple
LNB's into the 4x4 and supply 3 fta rcvrs. Do these switches provide lnb power?
Are there better alternatives?

--
CWC
============================

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:13:09 -0600, "CWCunningham"
    <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote:

    >I have a 4x4 switch that was used to attach 2 DirecTV dishes to 3 recievers, but
    >now we've abandoned DTV for an fta system. I'm wondering if I can put multiple
    >LNB's into the 4x4 and supply 3 fta rcvrs. Do these switches provide lnb power?
    >Are there better alternatives?

    Yes, you can, for two LNBs (slots). You might be able to get powered
    ones.

    I don't know if there are multi output Diseq switches.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Gary Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:13:09 -0600, "CWCunningham"
    | <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote:
    |
    | >I have a 4x4 switch that was used to attach 2 DirecTV dishes to 3 recievers,
    but
    | >now we've abandoned DTV for an fta system. I'm wondering if I can put
    multiple
    | >LNB's into the 4x4 and supply 3 fta rcvrs. Do these switches provide lnb
    power?
    | >Are there better alternatives?
    |
    | Yes, you can, for two LNBs (slots). You might be able to get powered
    | ones.
    |
    | I don't know if there are multi output Diseq switches.

    I guess I should have been more clear, it's not a diseqc switch, but a multi
    switch (I don't really quite understand). I have browsed through catalogues that
    imply that there are versions that work for FTA, but some are DSS/FTA and some
    are "DSS/para todo (or something)" only. I guess the question is whether DSS
    switches use diseqc commands.

    These are definitely multi output since the whole point is to attach multiple
    receivers to multiple lnb's.

    Is there a difference between diseqc 1.2 switching and 22khz switching?

    --
    CWC
    ============================
    It's not that nice guys finish last,
    They have a whole different notion
    where the finish line is.
    ============================
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:21:08 -0600, "CWCunningham"
    <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote:

    >"Gary Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:13:09 -0600, "CWCunningham"
    >| <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote:
    >|
    >| >I have a 4x4 switch that was used to attach 2 DirecTV dishes to 3 recievers,
    >but
    >| >now we've abandoned DTV for an fta system. I'm wondering if I can put
    >multiple
    >| >LNB's into the 4x4 and supply 3 fta rcvrs. Do these switches provide lnb
    >power?
    >| >Are there better alternatives?
    >|
    >| Yes, you can, for two LNBs (slots). You might be able to get powered
    >| ones.
    >|
    >| I don't know if there are multi output Diseq switches.
    >|
    >I guess I should have been more clear, it's not a diseqc switch, but a multi
    >switch (I don't really quite understand). I have browsed through catalogues that
    >imply that there are versions that work for FTA, but some are DSS/FTA and some
    >are "DSS/para todo (or something)" only. I guess the question is whether DSS
    >switches use diseqc commands.

    Signal wise, the switches don't really care.

    DirecTV uses 22 Khz, so is capable of switching between only two
    satellites, with two polarities per.

    >These are definitely multi output since the whole point is to attach multiple
    >receivers to multiple lnb's.
    >
    >Is there a difference between diseqc 1.2 switching and 22khz switching?

    Yes. Diseq supports more than two satellite slots, i f that is what
    you want. If all you need is two, then a DirecTV multi/matrix switch
    will do.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:21:08 -0600, "CWCunningham"
    <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I guess I should have been more clear, it's not a diseqc switch, but a multi
    >switch (I don't really quite understand). I have browsed through catalogues that
    >imply that there are versions that work for FTA, but some are DSS/FTA and some
    >are "DSS/para todo (or something)" only. I guess the question is whether DSS
    >switches use diseqc commands.
    >
    >These are definitely multi output since the whole point is to attach multiple
    >receivers to multiple lnb's.
    >
    >Is there a difference between diseqc 1.2 switching and 22khz switching?

    A DSS 4 or 5 input multi-switch is a combination 14(sometimes called 13)/18
    Volt and 22Khz switch. There are 2 sets of 2 inputs that can be routed to
    each of the outputs. If a receiver connected to one of the outputs puts up
    a 22kHz tone, the switch will select one of the 2 sets of inputs. In the
    absence of the 22kHz tone, the other set of inputs is selected. Then
    depending on whether the receiver has put up 14 or 18 volts of LNB power,
    one of those 2 inputs will be selected. Normally you will have LNB-1 (0
    kHz) (Vertical (14V)/Horizontal(18V)) and LNB-2 (22kHz)
    (Vertical(14V)/Horizontal(18V). In a conventional Corotor II C/Ku setup,
    you use the 22kHz to select the band and the 14/18 is ignored since
    polarity would be controlled by some other means. You need to split the C
    and Ku feeds so that you can send a signal to both the 14V and 18V inputs
    since most DVB receivers default to trying to select polarity with the
    14/18V LNB power. This usage gives you the equivalent of a multi-output
    22kHz switch. If you have LNBF's instead of servo controlled polarity, you
    need to have 2 C and 2 Ku LNBF outputs since the multiswitch sends constant
    14 volts out 2 of the inputs and constant 18 volts out the other two. The
    switch is designed switch between 2 dual LNBF's.

    The only difference between a 4 input and 5 input DSS multiswitch is that
    the fifth input is selected when there is NO LNB power applied to an
    output. This selects the terrestrial input.

    Yes there is a difference between diseqc and 22kHz. 22kHz switching uses a
    continuous 22kHz tone that is either on or off. Diseqc uses modulated 22kHz
    (don't know the details) to control switches, positioners, and other
    devices.

    --
    John Gilman
    zoundz@xxxReMoVexxxnewscene.com

    "John Gilman" <see.address@in.sig> wrote in message
    | A DSS 4 or 5 input multi-switch is a combination 14(sometimes called 13)/18
    | Volt and 22Khz switch.

    <Snipped much good stuff>

    Thank you for the very informative answer, slowly but surely I'm coming to
    understand the possibilities.

    --
    CWC
    It's not that nice guys finish last,