MS or Graduate certificate in Canada

Jennysam

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Dear Friends,

I have a few queries regarding higher studies in Canada and hope the seniors here would be able to give me some advice..

My profile –

10th Standard - 86%
12th Standard - 82%
Engineering (B.Tech) - 69.5% (no backlogs)
TOEFL – 105/120; GRE – 307/340

I Have 2 Microsoft certifications;
3.5 Yrs of experience in IT industry (Web Development using MS Dotnet and MS SQL) in an MNC in India.

I was planning for higher studies in Canada.. But have the following queries…
1. Considering my Engineering degree and Work exp would MS or PG certificate program be better.
(I have heard mixed responses. some say PG certi course will make it easier to get a job. Some say since I have engn degree go for MS and don’t go for PG coz PG jobs are not as good as MS jobs both in terms of job nature and also the pay; Also it is difficult to get PR for a PG certificate course..)
2. Which is better for getting a PR and also from a Job prospect point of view.
3. If its is MS my choice would be MS in CS (Lake head/ Memorial/ Concordia/ Dalhousie etc); If its PG certi then Internet programming or Project management (George Brown / Lambton / Seneca /Centennial).
4. Any other course or college that you could probably refer for me that I am eligible to apply with this profile..

Solution

1. Be careful with a B.Tech degree, it is not the same as a B.Eng degree in Canada. B.Eng degrees are accredited engineering degrees and B.A.Sc are often accredited as well; B.Tech is sometimes accredited but is often not. It is possible to enter a graduate M.Eng / M.A.Sc program with a B.Tech if the undergraduate program is accredited and your marks are stellar though. At the school that I graduated from students who failed to meet academic standards of a B.Eng program were kicked down to a B.Tech program. On the other hand, if you got your B.Tech in India you shouldn't have a problem as it is largely equivalent to a B.Eng there. You may need to explain this to an entrance interviewer

2. Certificates are a dime a dozen, always go with the degree imo. It will be much more expensive, especially if you are considered an international student, but an M.A.Sc in computing and software from a top tier Canadian university will shine very nicely.

3. See #2. Certificates are faster/cheaper but may not be worth as much in the long run.

4. Most graduate Engineering programs will be similar across Canada. As a graduate you'll spend a lot of time doing your own studies anyway so it won't matter too much. Rather, it will depend on where you choose to live.

Solution