Replay 5040 acting up..anything else i can do before repla..

My replay began to act up a few weeks ago, freezing all the time.
Called tech support and went through a few things, didn't fix it so
they told me to do a factory restore, was going to do it that night
(after watching a show on replay) but by then, the replay didn't even
work at all. Now it does power up, but holds on please wait screen.
From what I have read online, it appears these are classic symptoms of
a bad HD, problem is unit is out of warrenty and I don't really want
to pay the $100 to replace it already (seems it should last longer
than 2 years). Is there anything that may save it short of a HD
replacement?

Thanks

jw
4 answers Last reply
More about replay 5040 acting repla

    jw wrote:
    > My replay began to act up a few weeks ago, freezing all the time.
    > Called tech support and went through a few things, didn't fix it so
    > they told me to do a factory restore, was going to do it that night
    > (after watching a show on replay) but by then, the replay didn't even
    > work at all. Now it does power up, but holds on please wait screen.
    > From what I have read online, it appears these are classic symptoms of
    > a bad HD, problem is unit is out of warrenty and I don't really want
    > to pay the $100 to replace it already (seems it should last longer
    > than 2 years). Is there anything that may save it short of a HD
    > replacement?

    > Thanks
    >
    > jw
    Replace it with a much bigger Maxtor and send the original drive back to
    Maxtor for warranty replacement. The either put the warranty drive in a
    PC or sell it.

    Maxtor probably wont replace your drive as it will be listed as a OEM drive
    and warranted by the vendor. Went through this with a toshiba drive already.

    R M wrote:
    > Maxtor probably wont replace your drive as it will be listed as a OEM drive
    > and warranted by the vendor. Went through this with a toshiba drive already.

    Went through this half a dozen times ith no problems. So have a few
    hundred people on the AVS forum.

    I only have computer experience. I guess the replay drive isnt tagged as OEM
    then. Sorry.

    > R M wrote:
    > > Maxtor probably wont replace your drive as it will be listed as a OEM
    drive
    > > and warranted by the vendor. Went through this with a toshiba drive
    already.

    > Went through this half a dozen times ith no problems. So have a few
    > hundred people on the AVS forum.

Ptv Replaytv