Sony MDP-850D - how much better could I go...

Hi all,

At this last stage I bought a LD player, a Sony MDP-850D. I didn't have
many options here in New Zealand, but I read that this is an OK player
and it has auto side change.

I bought the Star Wars "Faces" (CLV, THX) edition trilogy, and I see
that there is noticeable noise in dark areas especially. But otherwise I
quite like the picture.

So my question is: how much better a picture would I get if I managed to
find one of these legendary Pioneer CLD-97 or CLD-99 players?

Or to be more more general, just how much variation is there from an
average OK LD player to the best?

Thanks

Aaron
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

    "Aaron Lawrence" <aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> wrote in message
    > At this last stage I bought a LD player, a Sony MDP-850D. I didn't
    have
    > many options here in New Zealand, but I read that this is an OK player
    > and it has auto side change.
    >
    > I bought the Star Wars "Faces" (CLV, THX) edition trilogy, and I see
    > that there is noticeable noise in dark areas especially. But otherwise
    > quite like the picture.
    >
    > So my question is: how much better a picture would I get if I managed
    > find one of these legendary Pioneer CLD-97 or CLD-99 players?
    >
    > Or to be more more general, just how much variation is there from an
    > average OK LD player to the best?

    LD picture quality is enormously dependant on the quality of the player
    used. There is a significant variance from an entry-level machine to the
    high-end.

    Sony did not make very good LD players. You could do much better.

    Suddenly, Joshua Zyber sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > LD picture quality is enormously dependant on the quality of the player
    > used. There is a significant variance from an entry-level machine to the
    > high-end.
    >
    > Sony did not make very good LD players. You could do much better.

    OK, thanks Joshua. I doubt I will be able to find a better one in a
    hurry, but I may try.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and