What is a good gaming monitor??

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
So I've been looking around for a good gaming monitor for my pc but there are so many choices i have no idea what to choose. Any suggestions?? I've seen a couple but they have the hdcp feature I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. I'm not sure what it does. Its it so i can't play pirated material on my pc like moves or music similar to Sony's Canivia?? Also what would be the difference between a tv and a monitor?? I'm kinda of new to this.i have this old gateway 24" monitor i want to upgrade. I wanted a 32" but I've read that the 27" are the best for gaming. I was looking at the 1440p resolution monitors aswell but I'm not sure if my gpu can handle it. I'm running 2gtx 760 in sli mode. I want a monitor with 120 refresh rate or higher with either a display port or hdmi port thanks for the help.

Solution

Honestly, I see no problem with you sticking to a 1080p panel. This is the panel I currently use myself. I feel it offers a large enough screen in 23 inches. And I'm sure with your 24 inch gateway that you may feel that you have enough work area and your screen is large enough now if you want to get a larger screen size maybe look to 27 sure. People are going to suggest for you to get a IPS panel if you go with a 27 inch you may want to go this route...

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

HDCP wont stop you from watching pirated movies (ahem experience xD) for a monitor I personally recommend you get a 27 IPS, most all the others are TN panel type which are very crappy colour wise. I think your graphics cards should be able to handle 1440p and 120hz is not worth it unless you want crappy coulours (always a trade off)

oh and always get a proper monitor, TV's just don't look right as they are not purpose built to be a computer screen

It's not so much the size of a panel that makes it great for gaming its what your eyes can take in. I would personally say between 23-27 is the sweet spot more then that you are looking at a television set.

Benq makes excellent 120hz and 144hz panels also there is a new G-Sync display by ASUS tomshardware actually did a review of it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor,3897.html

The colors aren't bad on a good TN+ panel but I would agree with you that the Colors in most cases are stronger with a IPS display however that isn't the definition of what most would consider a gamer display a gamer display would normally include 120-144hz.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

well that's most people, I consider a good gaming display the one that makes my game looks best

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I personally don't like dvi I'm running display port on my gpu but if you guys think dvi will be better what would you recommend?? And yea I'm running 2 gtx 760 overclocked

Schneizel

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
While there are some good TN panel monitors that have decent color reproduction, they still cannot compare with a good IPS panel.I would recommend a 1440p 27" IPS panel monitor.Something like a PB278Q would do.If you want a smaller size monitor, the PA248Q (or if you can find it the PB248Q) is also solid.These monitors are not very well suited towards gaming however as the refresh rates won't allow you to go above 80 fps (and that's if you overclock them).If you really want a gaming monitor and are willing to sacrifice color reproduction, then the VG248QE is good, as is the XL2420T and (my personal recommendation for a TN panel) the Eizo F2333(-BK).

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
My current monitor is 60hz and i get allot of tearing so i have to play with vsyn on. I want something with 120 or higher so i can turn vsync off. Ive read good reviewes on the benq xl2720z monitor. I believe it's a isp monitor with 140 refresh rate but idk if it's any good.

Schneizel

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Yes, that monitor is good (for a TN panel), but it is a TN panel, not an IPS.

There isn't a 120/144 hz monitor that is a IPS screen. Those screens that are 120/144hz are TN+ panels. That benq monitor is fairly solid. If you have the money for it it could be a good investment. It is only a 1080p display however when you move beyond 1080p and 1200p driving games at higher resolutions will cause your frames to drop a bit. I like the new G-Sync monitor from ASUS because if you are already purchasing a nvidia card you have hardware g-sync.

Linus just did a review on it. It's a 1440p panel but that is okay :) It's mighty pricey though ha!
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-pg278q-rog-swift-27-inch-ec-100910.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqTIfNv2DE

Schneizel

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Yeah, that's a good monitor too.It *is* pretty expensive for a TN panel though.

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Yea i saw that review. but idk if my gpu can handle higher resolutions. I just bought the cards like 6 months ago so I'm not planning on replacing them soon. I want something that can give me fairly good performance with my current set up. I'm planning on building a new system later on when ddr4 comes out. But if you guys think i can go beyond 1080 with my gpu i would be ok with getting a better monitor. My current limit is 500$ i really like that Asus that linus reviewed tho lol

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
So basically if i want to go with speed I'm better off with a tn panel and if i want to go with quality id be sacrificing refresh rate but i would be getting better color and I'd have the possibility of getting a 1440p monitor??

Schneizel

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

You would have the possiblility of 1440p gaming either way, but otherwise you're right.

Honestly, I see no problem with you sticking to a 1080p panel. This is the panel I currently use myself. I feel it offers a large enough screen in 23 inches. And I'm sure with your 24 inch gateway that you may feel that you have enough work area and your screen is large enough now if you want to get a larger screen size maybe look to 27 sure. People are going to suggest for you to get a IPS panel if you go with a 27 inch you may want to go this route. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294&cm_re=pb278q-_-24-236-294-_-Product
However, I see no problem with you sticking to a TN+ panel such as the BenQ one you mentioned earlier http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014375 its a solid gaming monitor and you do have the graphic horse power in two GTX760's. In the end is the color re production good enough on a strong BenQ panel yes is it a IPS panel no but for what you'd use it for I'd say you are fine. If you wanted to pony up for a IPS display you can but you don't have to if you don't want to.

My screen ASUS PB238Q
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292

Solution

TRENDING THREADS