New 5040 questions

Hello,

I am a long time Showstopper 2000 user and I just got 2 5040's and am
looking for some help.

First, I want to upgrade the HD's on these to a "good" size. What seems to
be the sweet spot right now and what drives have you guys had luck with?
Money is an issue so I am looking for a bargain and I am partial to WD
drives. Although my last SS2K upgrade was to a fluid bearing Maxtor and that
seemed to work well. I was thinking 120 - 160 GB.

Second, I have a Linksys wireless setup which has always been nothing but
trouble so I am looking to upgrade my whole network and reading seems like
the Buffalo stuff is a god way to go. Is the "G" stuff going to be good
enough to stream or should I wait for the new 125mps line coming out next
month? I was thinking of buying the following buffalo;

1 - Router / WAP model# WBR2-G54
2 - Ethernet Bridges model# WLI-TX1-G54

or future 125mps
1 - Router / WAP model# WHR3-G54
2 - Ethernet Bridges model# ???

Finally anyone know any places offering deals on the wireless Buffalo stuff?
4 answers Last reply
More about 5040 questions

    "Spectre" <Noneofyourbusiness@bye.com> wrote in message
    > First, I want to upgrade the HD's on these to a "good" size. What seems to
    > be the sweet spot right now and what drives have you guys had luck with?
    > Money is an issue so I am looking for a bargain and I am partial to WD
    > drives. Although my last SS2K upgrade was to a fluid bearing Maxtor and
    that
    > seemed to work well. I was thinking 120 - 160 GB.

    120 GBs should be sufficient, unless you plan on keeping episodes for one or
    more shows stored on the RTVs long-term. (Usually, you'd do your long-term
    storage on DVArchive, though, so 120GB should be plenty.)

    Fry's in the San Jose area has the 200 GB WD drive for $80 after rebate right
    now. The same drive started out with a whine after a couple of weeks in my 5040
    but the noise eventually faded and so far it's working fine. My wife's gotten
    within 30 hours of filling it because she insists on keeping several weeks of
    several daily shows and is very poor about deleting things before the drop off
    the far end automatically.

    At least I bought the drive when it still had a 3 year warranty but I hope I
    won't have to make good on it. I have the same drive in my own computer and
    it's quieter than the one in the RTV.

    --
    Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to
    post directly.

    > Second, I have a Linksys wireless setup which has always been nothing but
    > trouble so I am looking to upgrade my whole network and reading seems like
    > the Buffalo stuff is a god way to go. Is the "G" stuff going to be good
    > enough to stream or should I wait for the new 125mps line coming out next
    > month? I was thinking of buying the following buffalo;

    802.11g works nice for streaming. I have my 5040 unit plugged into an
    Ethernet jack running to my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) and this
    works nicely for downloading shows with DVArchive and streaming them to
    my PowerBook attached only via 802.11g. I am able to download the
    medium quality recordings (which is what I use for all recordings) in
    better than real time and the times that I have tried streaming to VLC,
    that worked fine as well. I was having quite a bit of trouble with this
    when I was using 802.11b, which was able to download a 1 hour show in
    about 1h20m.

    Steve

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:24:15 -0500, Steve Waltner
    <swaltner-2004@cox.net> wrote:

    >> Second, I have a Linksys wireless setup which has always been nothing but

    SNIP,

    may seem stupid but i bought three Netgear XE-102 (one for the PC, one
    each for my 5040) for $130 (including shipping). Plugged them into the
    wall and 5 minutes later everyone ws talking to everyone and streaming
    is fine. granted i have only tryed medium and standard quality.

    Might not be the fastest but it certainly is a simpler and cheaper
    solution to wireless.

    Cop

Ptv Replaytv