How many cores do I need

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Is quad core machines enough for a new build?

I am planning on building a new system this winter due to the release of Dragon age and Witcher 3. I know the current parts out there are more than enough for these games, but since I am building new I would like to future proof as much as possible.

What is the new standard going to be? How many cores will games need? What should I do?

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
There are still many games that do not even take advantage of more than 2 cores. A quad should suffice for quite some time. I tend to not use the word future proof as there will be something out in less than a year that will push your "top of the line" parts to second. This does not mean that they are bad now, but always remember that you will get the upgrade bug sooner than your part usefullness runs out.

Also, you cannot possibly say what the new standard is going to be. However, you can see that the trend has been moving to support more cores such as with BF4. I would recommend something like the i5 - 4690k or 4690. This should last you for quite some time with regards to playing games and is a great all around performer. I would also pick up an aftermarket cooler if you get the "k" variant and wish to overclock. I would recommend something such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Just make sure to pick a case that will also support your cooling needs.

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I knew future proof was the wrong phrase to use, as technology is advancing so fast its impossible to know whats coming up. I was concerned though about buying a product right before something new and improved comes about. I dont want to be the guy that buys a cassette player the week before CD's come out on the market.

So its recommended to get an i5 vs i7? Is there not that much improvement in gaming performance between the two?