List Of Scheduled Recording

Dear All,

Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings? The only way I
can do that right now is by going to the Channel Guide and go through all
the days and channels looking for the red dot. This obviously is extremly
inconvenient. The manual doesn't say anything about a feature listing all
the scheduled recordings so I was wondering if there is such a (hidden)
function.

Rob
17 answers Last reply
More about list scheduled recording

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:21:27 GMT, "rob" <rmdiv2001@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Dear All,
    >
    >Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings? The only way I
    >can do that right now is by going to the Channel Guide and go through all
    >the days and channels looking for the red dot. This obviously is extremly
    >inconvenient. The manual doesn't say anything about a feature listing all
    >the scheduled recordings so I was wondering if there is such a (hidden)
    >function.
    >
    >Rob

    Better to use 'Replay guide'. That even includes theme channels (very
    useful, don't ignore them).

    Also, DVArchive lists them (of course you need a computer and
    network).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    If you look at the Replay Guide it will display all of your shows
    whether they have recorded anything or not. For a graphical view, go to
    www.dvarchive.org and download the free DVArchive program. It will read
    your RTV database and display a full listing both in list and channel
    guide format. This is particularly useful if you have more than one RTV
    as you can see all the info from all machines at a glance. I have 5
    networked RTV units so this is a wonderful way to manage them.
    DVArchive lets you save and watch shows and your PC shows up in the
    Replay Guide as another RTV. So, if you saved a show to your PC to free
    up space on the RTV, you can still watch the show from the PC through
    the RTV.

    From:rob
    rmdiv2001@hotmail.com

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings? The
    > only way I can do that right now is by going to the Channel Guide and
    > go through all the days and channels looking for the red dot. This
    > obviously is extremly inconvenient. The manual doesn't say anything
    > about a feature listing all the scheduled recordings so I was
    > wondering if there is such a (hidden) function.
    >
    > Rob

    Bruce & Mark,

    Duh!! That was so obvious it was too hard to find.... When I bought the
    ReplayTV I immediately installed a 200GB HD and programmed a lot of shows.
    Since the list of recorded shows was so long I didn't realize that the shows
    that have not been recorded yet are listed at the END of all the already
    recorded shows.

    Bruce, you have 5 (FIVE!!!) ReplayTVs??!!!! You must watch a lot of TV. I
    VERY much like the ReplayTV but unfortunately I have hardly time to watch
    TV. By the way, I need like 3 remote controls to handle my ReplayTV, one for
    the ReplayTV, one for my TV and one for my amplifier. Are you guys using any
    universal remote controls and if so which one? I think the main reason my
    wife doesn't use the ReplayTV too much is because it is so cumbersome to use
    so many remotes...

    Thanks a bunch,

    Rob

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    > If you look at the Replay Guide it will display all of your shows
    > whether they have recorded anything or not. For a graphical view, go to
    > www.dvarchive.org and download the free DVArchive program. It will read
    > your RTV database and display a full listing both in list and channel
    > guide format. This is particularly useful if you have more than one RTV
    > as you can see all the info from all machines at a glance. I have 5
    > networked RTV units so this is a wonderful way to manage them.
    > DVArchive lets you save and watch shows and your PC shows up in the
    > Replay Guide as another RTV. So, if you saved a show to your PC to free
    > up space on the RTV, you can still watch the show from the PC through
    > the RTV.
    >
    > From:rob
    > rmdiv2001@hotmail.com
    >
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings? The
    > > only way I can do that right now is by going to the Channel Guide and
    > > go through all the days and channels looking for the red dot. This
    > > obviously is extremly inconvenient. The manual doesn't say anything
    > > about a feature listing all the scheduled recordings so I was
    > > wondering if there is such a (hidden) function.
    > >
    > > Rob

    My wife and I do a lot of timeshifting and we like some different shows
    that often conflict. The real reason for 5 though, is so we can watch in
    different rooms and because I wanted to "stock up" on 5000 series units
    w/Commercial Advance. As for Remotes, I like the Home Theater Master
    MX700. It learns, has programmable labels and can be configured via a
    PC. The MX500 is essentially the same without the PC config option.
    Excellent price of $150 on ebay for brand new units. My wife likes the
    Harmony Remote, which is configurable online.

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 05:58:42 GMT, "rob" <rmdiv2001@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Bruce & Mark,
    >
    >Duh!! That was so obvious it was too hard to find.... When I bought the
    >ReplayTV I immediately installed a 200GB HD and programmed a lot of shows.
    >Since the list of recorded shows was so long I didn't realize that the shows
    >that have not been recorded yet are listed at the END of all the already
    >recorded shows.
    >
    >Bruce, you have 5 (FIVE!!!) ReplayTVs??!!!! You must watch a lot of TV. I
    >VERY much like the ReplayTV but unfortunately I have hardly time to watch
    >TV. By the way, I need like 3 remote controls to handle my ReplayTV, one for
    >the ReplayTV, one for my TV and one for my amplifier. Are you guys using any
    >universal remote controls and if so which one? I think the main reason my
    >wife doesn't use the ReplayTV too much is because it is so cumbersome to use
    >so many remotes...
    >
    >Thanks a bunch,
    >
    >Rob
    >
    >"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    >> If you look at the Replay Guide it will display all of your shows
    >> whether they have recorded anything or not. For a graphical view, go to
    >> www.dvarchive.org and download the free DVArchive program. It will read
    >> your RTV database and display a full listing both in list and channel
    >> guide format. This is particularly useful if you have more than one RTV
    >> as you can see all the info from all machines at a glance. I have 5
    >> networked RTV units so this is a wonderful way to manage them.
    >> DVArchive lets you save and watch shows and your PC shows up in the
    >> Replay Guide as another RTV. So, if you saved a show to your PC to free
    >> up space on the RTV, you can still watch the show from the PC through
    >> the RTV.
    >>
    >> From:rob
    >> rmdiv2001@hotmail.com
    >>
    >> > Dear All,
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings? The
    >> > only way I can do that right now is by going to the Channel Guide and
    >> > go through all the days and channels looking for the red dot. This
    >> > obviously is extremly inconvenient. The manual doesn't say anything
    >> > about a feature listing all the scheduled recordings so I was
    >> > wondering if there is such a (hidden) function.
    >> >
    >> > Rob

    I find a universal remote to be completely unsuitable unless it has
    learning capability. Those that don't have it usually lack some
    important function. Most that do have learning cpability, are still
    harder to use than the original remotes. The buttons will be less
    conveniently arranged and lack suitable lablels. One that came close
    was the (expensive) Philips Pronto. It's very versatile, and can even
    connect to a computer (useful for backing up the programming and
    syncronizing multiple remotes). However it's touch-screen and these
    are hard to use. Seems I have to try an average of 2-3 times to get
    any button to work. Touch screens also get dirty very easily (one
    reason we don't have many touch-screen computers).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    As to remotes: the ReplayTV remote should also handle your TV. I use a
    OneForAll remote to control the replay, tv, cd changer, receiver and a
    VCR. There are many models of OneForAll remotes. If you go to
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/list.cgi you can
    gets all sorts of useful information.

    In article <m4Xrc.6845$be.4264@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    rmdiv2001@hotmail.com says...

    --
    Jerry Bank
    Trenton, New Jersey

    I agree with you on every point. I don't like touch screens,
    non-learning remotes are incomplete and others are hard use. I think
    you'll like the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700. You can label 8
    buttons any way you like and and change what they do by component. You
    have 4 "pages" of buttons for each component plus all the standard
    buttons. It learns codes easily, has backlighting and the battery life
    is good.
    My first learning remote was a GE model that they started selling in
    1984. After that learning remotes were scarce for many years and I used
    some that I bought in Japan that had a revolving drum with write on
    labels for each component. I've tried several others over the years but
    haven't been satisfied till finding these HTM units.

    From:Mark Lloyd
    mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:41:00 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >I agree with you on every point. I don't like touch screens,
    >non-learning remotes are incomplete and others are hard use. I think
    >you'll like the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700. You can label 8
    >buttons any way you like and and change what they do by component. You
    >have 4 "pages" of buttons for each component plus all the standard
    >buttons. It learns codes easily, has backlighting and the battery life
    >is good.
    > My first learning remote was a GE model that they started selling in
    >1984. After that learning remotes were scarce for many years and I used
    >some that I bought in Japan that had a revolving drum with write on
    >labels for each component. I've tried several others over the years but
    >haven't been satisfied till finding these HTM units.

    That sounds like something worth checking out. Thanks.

    rob wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings?

    I use replaySchedule. It will generate a HTML file of all the
    scheduled recordings. Conflicts and the conflict winner are
    shown in color.

    Your Replay(s) will need to be on a network with your computer
    and you will need XMLTV too.

    http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/replaySchedule/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmltv/

    I have a scheduled task set to run every week so it's all done
    automatically for me.

    DVArchive also has a "Upcoming Shows" display:

    http://www.dvarchive.org

    HTH,
    --
    Bill Cochell

    "Don't you see what it's like in this deranged Waring Blender of
    a world?! Every day is an agonizing ordeal, like balancing a pot
    of scalding water on your head while people whip your legs and
    butt..." - Duckman
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I think that if you try some of the relatively inexepensive learning
    remotes from OneForAll ( I use the model 8910) you will find it can do
    just about everything you want and is reasonably priced. I think that I
    paid about $25 for it. The keys are a little stiffer than on the ReplyTV
    remote, but it does so much more.

    In article <g77sc.1025$wO4.313@twister.socal.rr.com>, brNOSPAM@hawaii.com
    says...
    > I agree with you on every point. I don't like touch screens,
    > non-learning remotes are incomplete and others are hard use. I think
    > you'll like the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700. You can label 8
    > buttons any way you like and and change what they do by component. You
    > have 4 "pages" of buttons for each component plus all the standard
    > buttons. It learns codes easily, has backlighting and the battery life
    > is good.
    > My first learning remote was a GE model that they started selling in
    > 1984. After that learning remotes were scarce for many years and I used
    > some that I bought in Japan that had a revolving drum with write on
    > labels for each component. I've tried several others over the years but
    > haven't been satisfied till finding these HTM units.

    --
    Jerry Bank
    Trenton, New Jersey
    Music is the language of the gods.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:41:00 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

    > I agree with you on every point. I don't like touch screens,
    > non-learning remotes are incomplete and others are hard use. I think
    > you'll like the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700. You can label 8
    > buttons any way you like and and change what they do by component. You
    > have 4 "pages" of buttons for each component plus all the standard
    > buttons. It learns codes easily, has backlighting and the battery life
    > is good.
    > My first learning remote was a GE model that they started selling in
    > 1984. After that learning remotes were scarce for many years and I used
    > some that I bought in Japan that had a revolving drum with write on
    > labels for each component. I've tried several others over the years but
    > haven't been satisfied till finding these HTM units.

    I have to disagree. I have a Philips Pronto and think it's great. I love
    being able to hit "watch something" then hit "TV" and have it do
    everything for me. I also like being able to control my lights by using
    icons that show the lights and/or locations of them within/outside the
    house, etc. You can't do that without a large screen.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:13:02 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:41:00 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I agree with you on every point. I don't like touch screens,
    >> non-learning remotes are incomplete and others are hard use. I think
    >> you'll like the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700. You can label 8
    >> buttons any way you like and and change what they do by component. You
    >> have 4 "pages" of buttons for each component plus all the standard
    >> buttons. It learns codes easily, has backlighting and the battery life
    >> is good.
    >> My first learning remote was a GE model that they started selling in
    >> 1984. After that learning remotes were scarce for many years and I used
    >> some that I bought in Japan that had a revolving drum with write on
    >> labels for each component. I've tried several others over the years but
    >> haven't been satisfied till finding these HTM units.
    >>

    >I have to disagree. I have a Philips Pronto and think it's great. I love
    >being able to hit "watch something" then hit "TV" and have it do
    >everything for me. I also like being able to control my lights by using
    >icons that show the lights and/or locations of them within/outside the
    >house, etc. You can't do that without a large screen.

    The flexiality of the Pronto is good. There's also the ability to
    transfer to/from a computer. Of course, there's also problems, like
    the way touch screens get dirty very easily. And I never got used to
    having to try 3 times or more to get a button to work.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 06:04:17 -0700, Bill Cochell
    <bcochell@po_TUDE_box.com> wrote:

    >rob wrote:
    >>
    >> Dear All,
    >>
    >> Is there a way to get a list of all the scheduled recordings?
    >
    >I use replaySchedule. It will generate a HTML file of all the
    >scheduled recordings. Conflicts and the conflict winner are
    >shown in color.
    >
    >Your Replay(s) will need to be on a network with your computer
    >and you will need XMLTV too.
    >
    > http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/replaySchedule/
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmltv/
    >
    >I have a scheduled task set to run every week so it's all done
    >automatically for me.
    >
    >DVArchive also has a "Upcoming Shows" display:

    And it's a LOT easier to set up than that complicated thing. It even
    works over your LAN, so you can check the schedule and select shows
    for recording from and computer on your network.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:30:11 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:13:02 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:41:00 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I agree with you on every point. I don't like touch screens,
    >>> non-learning remotes are incomplete and others are hard use. I think
    >>> you'll like the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700. You can label 8
    >>> buttons any way you like and and change what they do by component. You
    >>> have 4 "pages" of buttons for each component plus all the standard
    >>> buttons. It learns codes easily, has backlighting and the battery life
    >>> is good.
    >>> My first learning remote was a GE model that they started selling in
    >>> 1984. After that learning remotes were scarce for many years and I used
    >>> some that I bought in Japan that had a revolving drum with write on
    >>> labels for each component. I've tried several others over the years
    >>> but
    >>> haven't been satisfied till finding these HTM units.
    >>>

    >> I have to disagree. I have a Philips Pronto and think it's great. I
    >> love
    >> being able to hit "watch something" then hit "TV" and have it do
    >> everything for me. I also like being able to control my lights by using
    >> icons that show the lights and/or locations of them within/outside the
    >> house, etc. You can't do that without a large screen.
    >
    > The flexiality of the Pronto is good. There's also the ability to
    > transfer to/from a computer. Of course, there's also problems, like
    > the way touch screens get dirty very easily. And I never got used to
    > having to try 3 times or more to get a button to work.

    The touch screen does get dirty. The buttons are a known problem --
    called "dirty codes." Also, some items, such as a Dish receiver can learn
    "short" codes. The codes themselves can be changed to "long" codes (I've
    done this myself). However, this takes a person who likes to do this, and
    this points out the worst about the Pronto -- it takes a boatload of time
    to get to work right.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:55:26 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:30:11 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:13:02 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I have to disagree. I have a Philips Pronto and think it's great. I
    >>> love
    >>> being able to hit "watch something" then hit "TV" and have it do
    >>> everything for me. I also like being able to control my lights by using
    >>> icons that show the lights and/or locations of them within/outside the
    >>> house, etc. You can't do that without a large screen.
    >>
    >> The flexiality of the Pronto is good. There's also the ability to
    >> transfer to/from a computer. Of course, there's also problems, like
    >> the way touch screens get dirty very easily. And I never got used to
    >> having to try 3 times or more to get a button to work.
    >>

    >The touch screen does get dirty. The buttons are a known problem --
    >called "dirty codes."

    What "dirty codes"? I've used codes learned from several devices as
    well as built-in codes and codes from the internet. I even tried all
    this with THREE different Pronto units. NO button ever worked
    reliably. A different touch-screen remore (Marantz) had this same
    problem,

    I've also used a lot of remotes with real buttons (preprogrammed,
    universal, and learning). None of them worked near this badly.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:43:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:55:26 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:30:11 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >> wrote:

    >>> The flexiality of the Pronto is good. There's also the ability to
    >>> transfer to/from a computer. Of course, there's also problems, like
    >>> the way touch screens get dirty very easily. And I never got used to
    >>> having to try 3 times or more to get a button to work.
    >>>

    >> The touch screen does get dirty. The buttons are a known problem --
    >> called "dirty codes."
    >
    > What "dirty codes"? I've used codes learned from several devices as
    > well as built-in codes and codes from the internet. I even tried all
    > this with THREE different Pronto units. NO button ever worked
    > reliably. A different touch-screen remore (Marantz) had this same
    > problem,
    >
    > I've also used a lot of remotes with real buttons (preprogrammed,
    > universal, and learning). None of them worked near this badly.

    You're doing something wrong. I've learned codes from at least 10
    different remotes (I own a VCR, two satellite receivers, a DVD player, a
    preamp, a receiver, two TVs, and other stuff, and I've used the same
    remote for my friend's equipment, too), and I have a problem with a code
    for a button every once in a while on a remote. So, I might have to
    relearn one button per several remotes. Did you learn with the Pronto
    connected to the computer? This is a common source of errors. Moreover,
    the Pronto includes a database of codes for a ton of equipment -- I just
    prefer to learn my own codes.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:32:56 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:43:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:55:26 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>> The touch screen does get dirty. The buttons are a known problem --
    >>> called "dirty codes."
    >>
    >> What "dirty codes"? I've used codes learned from several devices as
    >> well as built-in codes and codes from the internet. I even tried all
    >> this with THREE different Pronto units. NO button ever worked
    >> reliably. A different touch-screen remore (Marantz) had this same
    >> problem,
    >>
    >> I've also used a lot of remotes with real buttons (preprogrammed,
    >> universal, and learning). None of them worked near this badly.
    >

    >You're doing something wrong. I've learned codes from at least 10
    >different remotes (I own a VCR, two satellite receivers, a DVD player, a
    >preamp, a receiver, two TVs, and other stuff, and I've used the same
    >remote for my friend's equipment, too), and I have a problem with a code
    >for a button every once in a while on a remote. So, I might have to
    >relearn one button per several remotes. Did you learn with the Pronto
    >connected to the computer? This is a common source of errors. Moreover,
    >the Pronto includes a database of codes for a ton of equipment -- I just
    >prefer to learn my own codes.

    Maybe you didn't read all my post. The problem applies to ALL CODES,
    not just ones I "learned" and ALL touch-screen BUTTONS, including
    those that do something other than transmit codes. It applies to THREE
    seperate Pronto units, as well as an unrelated touch-screen remote.
    This is a lot more than ONE thing not working!

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com