Only one display works at a time in any given port on my R9-290X. Second monitor not detected.

jnaab92

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Hello, the issue I am having is that the card is does not detect a second monitor. I've used all the suggestions from the FAQ and many online sites for recommendations and nothing has worked.

• My card is a XFX Radeon R9 290X ENFC. It has Two DVI-D ports, One DP, and One HDMI.
• GPU is cooled using a Kraken X60 and Kraken G10
• CPU is Intel I7-4790K
• MB is Asus Maximus VII Hero
• PSU is Sea Sonic X Series X-850 850 Watt Modular Gold
• RAM is G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
• OS is Windows 7 x64 SP1

Both monitors have a DVI-D port; I am NOT using any adapters. The card only works for one display. The top DVI port is the one I am currently using that works. The bottom DVI won’t work as a Primary or a secondary. The Display Port will work as a Primary, but not secondary. My primary monitor has a HDMI port, but I haven't tried it as the HDMI is connected to my PS4 and would be the only way to use the PS4, so it’s not an option to use the HDMI as a connection to the PC.

I have switched the cables out to new ones but that did not work and I have tried both DVI-D 24 pin as well as 18 pin. I have tried both monitors using the top DVI port and both monitors work when connected to that port, but neither will work on the bottom DVI port.

If I use the Display port, both monitors will work as the Primary, but if I try to add a second monitor using either DVI port, that second monitor will not work. Something I have noticed is that the secondary monitors, no matter where they are connected (top or bottom DVI, DP), the monitor just goes black. It does not display a message of "No signal". The "No Signal" message will only appear when I disconnect the second monitor from the card.

Also, no matter where I connect the second monitor, the "Screen Resolution" page will not show a second monitor, neither will the Catalyst Control Center.

I downloaded an EDID viewer and the computer will show both monitors but only the one that is plugged into the top DVI port shows as "Active".

I have uninstalled the driver several times, using an older driver and the most current. I tried installing the drivers using CCC as well as extracting the driver from CCC and just using that. None of those ideas worked.

I have even wiped the HD and reloaded windows 7 x64 SP1. After the reinstall, both monitors would work in the UEFI Bios, and during the installation of windows. After a reboot during the installation (I don't remember which part of the installation as I wasn't paying attention thinking the problem was solved), the second monitor stopped being recognized. During The first installation, the second monitor stopped being recognized during windows updates. The second installation of windows, I did not run a single Microsoft update.

I do have another tower I can put this card into to test if it works or not in another system, but I have a water cooler attached and would love to avoid having to remove it and put it into another system just to test this (will if I have to though).

At this point, I am pretty much stumped. If anyone has Ideas for something I should try, I would greatly appreciate it!

Solution
Resolved.
I am not positive as to what the issue was, but I think it was related to the EDID of the monitor getting corrupted. The monitor wouldn’t display the message stating “No Signal Detected”, but rather just a black screen. And I know my computer did (at one time at least) detect my second Dell monitor because it was in the registry as well as when I viewed the EDID information using a downloaded app.
I borrowed a monitor in order to test some ideas. It was just a standard Dell monitor with a DVI-D connection. I wanted to check to see if I could get the second monitor going while using the HDMI port on my Primary AOC monitor. Here's what I found...
This is all done on the R9-290X, not using any display...

jnaab92

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Resolved.
I am not positive as to what the issue was, but I think it was related to the EDID of the monitor getting corrupted. The monitor wouldn’t display the message stating “No Signal Detected”, but rather just a black screen. And I know my computer did (at one time at least) detect my second Dell monitor because it was in the registry as well as when I viewed the EDID information using a downloaded app.
I borrowed a monitor in order to test some ideas. It was just a standard Dell monitor with a DVI-D connection. I wanted to check to see if I could get the second monitor going while using the HDMI port on my Primary AOC monitor. Here's what I found...
This is all done on the R9-290X, not using any display connections built into the MB.
HDMI to AOC worked fine as a primary. Great! Now I wanted to get the secondary monitor working so I hooked my original Dell to the top DVI port (the one I would use for the primary monitor prior to testing), but that didn’t work. Hooked it to the bottom DVI port, but that didn’t work. Used the DP to DVI converter, but that didn’t work either.
I then performed the same steps for my Dell monitor (the one I couldn’t get to work as a secondary), but this time, it would NOT work as a primary in any port. It would just remain black.
This led me to hook up the borrowed Dell monitor, replacing my Dell monitor, and it worked in the top DVI port as well as the DP to DVI converter port.
With the borrowed Dell working as the Primary through the DP to DVI converter, I now wanted to see if I could get the AOC monitor working as a secondary. I first tried the HDMI. Worked! I then tried the Top DVI port. That did NOT work. Then I tried the Bottom DVI port. That worked! This then gave me the idea to hook the borrowed Dell into the Top DVI port to see if I could get both DVI ports running at the same time. That worked!!!
So I am running both monitors using both DVI ports. Great! But I need MY Dell monitor to work, not the borrowed one. So I unhook the power, then DVI from the borrowed Dell. Plug the power, then the DVI into MY Dell monitor…. IT WORKED! The computer now recognized both of my monitors and the display was already in extended desktop mode. Attempted a couple restarts to make sure the computer still recognized them after a reboot and each time they would both turn on just fine in the UEFI and Windows.
I don’t know why, but it took the borrowed monitor to “fix” the connection between my monitor and the computer. So, hope this somehow helps anyone. It was a damn annoyance to me considering it was a new build. Oh well, now to get to OC’n!!!

Solution