Steam Beta Reveals Movies, TV Shows, Music On The Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I think they have missed the point. If this code exists in the SteamOS as well, then this makes perfect sense. You wouldn't have native itunes or netflix apps. Its the same thing that the Playstation and Xbox OS have. I always assumed this would happen. SteamOS/Big picture mode looks great already, but at the moment its very limited. Here are your games/here are more games to buy/here are your friends/basic web browser. Adding media features is an obvious move.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Music and video... that's nice (nothing I'd use Steam for but whatever)... just don't lose sight of your core gaming business or someone else will eat your lunch.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Meh, Ill stick to Sickrage (sickbeard fork) for tv shows and the other stuff I don't doo much.

Sickrage just is the best service available for me for tv shows, it makes sure my tv shows get scrobbled properly and just adding it to my watchlist on trakt makes it download it for me and unlike netflix and the like its just a few hours after release and not restricted to who made it. It just works.

bhauck

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
It'd be weird at this point to put out a product intended to be hooked up to TVs that couldn't do all this stuff.

Why does this post turn into a press release for UltraViolet for a few lines there in the middle?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
just don't lose sight of your core gaming business
Sadly, IMHO they have already lost sight. You used to go on Steam and play your games... Now there's a marketplace to trade worthless items, trading cards(also worthless), ranking system, badges, community jump through hoop events so everyone can know who is "better" at Steam. It's a cluttered joke now. Only thing good the have done is Greenlight and even that gets abused. Wish they would make another client without all this BS. I'm just sick and tired of everything these days shoving all these so called "features" down my throat. BTW, Vudu and Ultraviolet are terrible services.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
If they bring region free television and movies to the service, just like videogames, i can finally stop pirating them. As of right now, I really have no choice but to pirate..

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
just don't lose sight of your core gaming business
Sadly, IMHO they have already lost sight. You used to go on Steam and play your games... Now there's a marketplace to trade worthless items, trading cards(also worthless), ranking system, badges, community jump through hoop events so everyone can know who is "better" at Steam. It's a cluttered joke now. Only thing good the have done is Greenlight and even that gets abused. Wish they would make another client without all this BS. I'm just sick and tired of everything these days shoving all these so called "features" down my throat. BTW, Vudu and Ultraviolet are terrible services.
cluttered? what? you have to go way out of your way to see those trading cards. i havent seen a greenlight gaming page in months. what are you smoking?

Half Life 3(or EP 3) please.

If steam can have sales on Music/Moves/TV. This CAN be good, but I am almost sure price fixing will prevent this.

I personally have no interest in the marketplace / trading cards either, but steam is far from the only thing that has this kind of thing. At least I can sell the trading cards :)

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Having a home theater PC is amazing. Got 2x 580 GTXs in the system so it's a gaming beast, a few HDD for movies/music downloading, set up on a 1080p DLP projector projecting onto a 120" screen, and I can also web browse and watch youtube from the comfort of my couch.

I could totally see SteamOS being a very great addition to many people's livingroom if it was capable of easily doing all of these features (gaming, web browsing, watching downloaded video files, playing music, youtube, etc)

But if it's just a handicapped wanna-be HTPC that can't do half this stuff, then it would be pretty pointless.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
cluttered? what? you have to go way out of your way to see those trading cards. i havent seen a greenlight gaming page in months. what are you smoking?
OK, I have to agree they did make these things as elegantly incorporated as they could. But, maybe I should have worded my criticisms better. There is no value added to Steam by these so called "features" and therefore again IMHO is just unnecessary bloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.