No guide on 5040

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I recently purchased a 5040. I paid the one-time fee. The 5040 did have
a guide but no longer does. I've forced it to connect several times by
going to "set up" then "connect to replaytv service now." However, when I
go to "system information, it lists the last connection as being
5/4/2004. Is there something I can do to make it connect?

Thanks.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply
23 answers Last reply
More about guide 5040
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Assuming you've checked your eternet or modem connection and they are
    working and you have selected the matching connection method, then
    reboot the unit by pressing and holding the power button for about 20
    seconds.
    If it doesn't connect by itself, while watching any channel try pressing
    "2-4-3 Zones" to get to the admin menu. Select 7 (Net Connect) and see
    how that does.

    From:Bob
    ctviggen.x@adelphia.net

    > I recently purchased a 5040. I paid the one-time fee. The 5040 did
    > have a guide but no longer does. I've forced it to connect several
    > times by going to "set up" then "connect to replaytv service now."
    > However, when I go to "system information, it lists the last
    > connection as being 5/4/2004. Is there something I can do to make it
    > connect?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Bob M
    > remove ".x" to reply
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Thanks. I did check the modem connection (it connects and synchronizes
    the time, but never gets the guide) and it's the same in the setup as it
    is in my router (the router lists it at an address that the Replay also
    has). I'll try this tonight.

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:49:36 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

    > Assuming you've checked your eternet or modem connection and they are
    > working and you have selected the matching connection method, then
    > reboot the unit by pressing and holding the power button for about 20
    > seconds.
    > If it doesn't connect by itself, while watching any channel try pressing
    > "2-4-3 Zones" to get to the admin menu. Select 7 (Net Connect) and see
    > how that does.
    >
    > From:Bob
    > ctviggen.x@adelphia.net
    >
    >> I recently purchased a 5040. I paid the one-time fee. The 5040 did
    >> have a guide but no longer does. I've forced it to connect several
    >> times by going to "set up" then "connect to replaytv service now."
    >> However, when I go to "system information, it lists the last
    >> connection as being 5/4/2004. Is there something I can do to make it
    >> connect?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob M
    >> remove ".x" to reply
    >
    >


    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    and cable company selection too.

    From:Bob in CT
    ctviggen.x@adelphia.net

    > Thanks. I did check the modem connection (it connects and
    > synchronizes the time, but never gets the guide) and it's the same in
    > the setup as it is in my router (the router lists it at an address
    > that the Replay also has). I'll try this tonight.
    >
    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:49:36 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Assuming you've checked your eternet or modem connection and they are
    >> working and you have selected the matching connection method, then
    >> reboot the unit by pressing and holding the power button for about 20
    >> seconds.
    >> If it doesn't connect by itself, while watching any channel try
    >> pressing "2-4-3 Zones" to get to the admin menu. Select 7 (Net
    >> Connect) and see how that does.
    >>
    >> From:Bob
    >> ctviggen.x@adelphia.net
    >>
    >>> I recently purchased a 5040. I paid the one-time fee. The 5040 did
    >>> have a guide but no longer does. I've forced it to connect several
    >>> times by going to "set up" then "connect to replaytv service now."
    >>> However, when I go to "system information, it lists the last
    >>> connection as being 5/4/2004. Is there something I can do to make
    >>> it connect?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bob M
    >>> remove ".x" to reply
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT
    > Remove ".x" to reply
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:56 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

    > If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    > and cable company selection too.
    >
    Thanks, I'll do this too (although I did verify it). However, I tried to
    move the input from RG-6 to S-video/composite, and I simply could not do
    this. Replay would never give me the option to add a new provider. So, I
    went back to my old provider.


    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Bob in CT wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:56 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    >> and cable company selection too.
    >>
    > Thanks, I'll do this too (although I did verify it). However, I tried
    > to move the input from RG-6 to S-video/composite, and I simply could not
    > do this. Replay would never give me the option to add a new provider.
    > So, I went back to my old provider.
    >
    >
    Clear your channel guide TWICE and then force a netconnect. You do not
    "move" a connection. When you enter setup you tell the unit what is
    connected to what (ie: cable to RF in, cable box to input 1, DirecTV to
    input 2). The Replay then assigns channel number to these various inputs
    allowing you to use them all simultaneously.) What is your software
    build (411-Zones)?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:12:16 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:56 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    >> and cable company selection too.
    >>
    > Thanks, I'll do this too (although I did verify it). However, I tried
    > to move the input from RG-6 to S-video/composite, and I simply could not
    > do this. Replay would never give me the option to add a new provider.
    > So, I went back to my old provider.
    >
    >

    I meant to say that the only option for me what to reuse the RG-6
    connection, and Replay automatically had my old provider there.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:12:16 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:56 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >
    >> If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    >> and cable company selection too.
    >>
    >Thanks, I'll do this too (although I did verify it). However, I tried to
    >move the input from RG-6

    Meanig the RF (tuner) input.

    > to S-video/composite, and I simply could not do
    >this. Replay would never give me the option to add a new provider. So, I
    >went back to my old provider.

    To change inputs, to need to go to setup and remove the old one first.
    Then you can set up the new input. The s-video input is assciated with
    input #2 only. Connect your device (cable box?) to input #2 (s-video
    or composite, I find composite preferable), tell setup you have
    "nothing" or "other" connected to the RF input, change input 2 to your
    cable box (you're asked if you're using composite or s-video).


    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:33:52 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:12:16 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:56 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    >>> and cable company selection too.
    >>>
    >> Thanks, I'll do this too (although I did verify it). However, I tried
    >> to move the input from RG-6 to S-video/composite, and I simply could not
    >> do this. Replay would never give me the option to add a new provider.
    >> So, I went back to my old provider.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >I meant to say that the only option for me what to reuse the RG-6
    >connection, and Replay automatically had my old provider there.

    It's not automatic, that's how you set up the system.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:35:16 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Bob in CT wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:56 GMT, BruceR <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it's connecting and getting the time OK verify your ZIP code entry
    >>> and cable company selection too.
    >>>
    >> Thanks, I'll do this too (although I did verify it). However, I tried
    >> to move the input from RG-6 to S-video/composite, and I simply could
    >> not do this. Replay would never give me the option to add a new
    >> provider. So, I went back to my old provider.
    >>
    >>
    > Clear your channel guide TWICE and then force a netconnect. You do not
    > "move" a connection. When you enter setup you tell the unit what is
    > connected to what (ie: cable to RF in, cable box to input 1, DirecTV to
    > input 2). The Replay then assigns channel number to these various inputs
    > allowing you to use them all simultaneously.) What is your software
    > build (411-Zones)?

    What I did was delete the RF/RG-6 connection (i.e., say that there was
    nothing connected), then try to setup a connection on the
    S-Video/composite. This simply did not work. The S-video was there (I
    plugged it into my TV to test), but it didn't work. It would be great
    until I was supposed to be presented with a list of providers, and there
    were none. As for software build, I'll let you know. By "use them all
    simultaneously," do you mean that I can record one one input while
    watching on another input?

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > What I did was delete the RF/RG-6 connection (i.e., say that there was
    > nothing connected), then try to setup a connection on the
    > S-Video/composite. This simply did not work. The S-video was there (I
    > plugged it into my TV to test), but it didn't work. It would be great
    > until I was supposed to be presented with a list of providers, and there
    > were none.

    The providers do not come from the inputs. The inputs only ask what is
    connected to what. (svideo is input2 BTW). The providers only come from
    your zipcode and phone input.


    As for software build, I'll let you know. By "use them all
    > simultaneously," do you mean that I can record one one input while
    > watching on another input?

    No. If you say cable is connected to RF in, sat box is connected to
    input2, the channels will be mapped so 1-99 will be tuned by the Replay
    tuner and come from the cable wire, ch 1-999 on the sat box will be
    mapped to 1000-1999. If you tell the replay to record 02 it will tape
    from the cable via the replay tuner. If you say 1002 it will record ch 2
    from the sat box by sending a code via the ir blaster or serial port to
    switch the sat box to ch 02 and begin recording input2.

    Your problem seems to be you failure to connect has let the guide run
    out. Old software builds had a modem bug. Unplug the unit to clear the
    modem registers (reboot will not work). Force a net connect after
    redoing your setup telling the unit what is connected to what. There is
    an more extensive procedure for modem failure on the replay forum at
    avsforums.com.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Tony D" <sd@nospam.com> wrote in message news:40aa4690$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    >
    > The providers do not come from the inputs. The inputs only ask what is
    > connected to what. (svideo is input2 BTW). The providers only come from
    > your zipcode and phone input.
    >
    >

    Or your home network through the Ethernet Cat5 cable you hook to your
    router. When I got my ReplayTV a couple of months ago, I just plugged in to
    my DSL router. I never had to hook up a phone wire to the ReplayTV. Also,
    this might not work for everyone, but for gaming on the internet I'd have to
    set my computer's IP to 192.168.1.2 to bypass the built in firewall in the
    DSL router. So when I had trouble setting up my ReplayTV for internet
    transfers ( www.poopli.com ) I changed the network setting in the ReplayTV
    from dhcp to static and used the 192.168.1.2 address. Works great!

    alien


    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:23:27 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:

    >
    >> What I did was delete the RF/RG-6 connection (i.e., say that there was
    >> nothing connected), then try to setup a connection on the
    >> S-Video/composite. This simply did not work. The S-video was there (I
    >> plugged it into my TV to test), but it didn't work. It would be great
    >> until I was supposed to be presented with a list of providers, and
    >> there were none.
    >
    > The providers do not come from the inputs. The inputs only ask what is
    > connected to what. (svideo is input2 BTW). The providers only come from
    > your zipcode and phone input.
    >
    >
    > As for software build, I'll let you know. By "use them all
    >> simultaneously," do you mean that I can record one one input while
    >> watching on another input?
    >
    > No. If you say cable is connected to RF in, sat box is connected to
    > input2, the channels will be mapped so 1-99 will be tuned by the Replay
    > tuner and come from the cable wire, ch 1-999 on the sat box will be
    > mapped to 1000-1999. If you tell the replay to record 02 it will tape
    > from the cable via the replay tuner. If you say 1002 it will record ch 2
    > from the sat box by sending a code via the ir blaster or serial port to
    > switch the sat box to ch 02 and begin recording input2.
    >
    > Your problem seems to be you failure to connect has let the guide run
    > out. Old software builds had a modem bug. Unplug the unit to clear the
    > modem registers (reboot will not work). Force a net connect after
    > redoing your setup telling the unit what is connected to what. There is
    > an more extensive procedure for modem failure on the replay forum at
    > avsforums.com.

    Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    internet through a network (through my router and then through my cable
    modem). The network connection information is correct and the box appears
    to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some other stuff. It
    just doesn't get the guide.

    When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never give
    me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection has my
    provider name.

    Nonetheless, I think the "unplug and replug" might work, and I'll give
    that a try. I'm not too upset about not getting the other inputs to work,
    as I'll be giving up my cable box once the Tour de France is over, so all
    I'll have the cable wire.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    > internet through a network (through my router and then through my cable
    > modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    > appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some other
    > stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >
    > When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never
    > give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection
    > has my provider name.

    If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    different providers.
    >
    > Nonetheless, I think the "unplug and replug" might work, and I'll give
    > that a try. I'm not too upset about not getting the other inputs to
    > work, as I'll be giving up my cable box once the Tour de France is over,
    > so all I'll have the cable wire.

    The only way it would connect and then not get a guide is if the setup
    for provider was wrong. Set up as just cable connected to RF, clear your
    channel guide twice and net connect again.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:35:49 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:

    >
    >> Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    >> internet through a network (through my router and then through my cable
    >> modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    >> appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some other
    >> stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >>
    >> When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never
    >> give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection
    >> has my provider name.
    >
    >If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    >different providers.

    You can, it just won't work with the SAME provider on 2 inputs.
    There's still a limitation, it works only if both have the same ZIP.

    >>
    >> Nonetheless, I think the "unplug and replug" might work, and I'll give
    >> that a try. I'm not too upset about not getting the other inputs to
    >> work, as I'll be giving up my cable box once the Tour de France is over,
    >> so all I'll have the cable wire.
    >
    >The only way it would connect and then not get a guide is if the setup
    >for provider was wrong. Set up as just cable connected to RF, clear your
    >channel guide twice and net connect again.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:05:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:35:49 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>> Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    >>> internet through a network (through my router and then through my cable
    >>> modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    >>> appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some other
    >>> stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >>>
    >>> When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never
    >>> give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection
    >>> has my provider name.
    >>
    >> If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    >> different providers.
    >
    > You can, it just won't work with the SAME provider on 2 inputs.
    > There's still a limitation, it works only if both have the same ZIP.
    >

    That's a bummer. This would allow me to record on the cable (without
    cable box), for instance, while watching another channel on the TV (from
    the cable box). However, I do believe that I removed the RF connection
    (in fact, all connections), then readded the S-Video connection, and it
    still did not work.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:21:55 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:05:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:35:49 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    >>>> internet through a network (through my router and then through my cable
    >>>> modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    >>>> appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some other
    >>>> stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >>>>
    >>>> When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never
    >>>> give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection
    >>>> has my provider name.
    >>>
    >>> If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    >>> different providers.
    >>
    >> You can, it just won't work with the SAME provider on 2 inputs.
    >> There's still a limitation, it works only if both have the same ZIP.
    >>
    >
    >That's a bummer. This would allow me to record on the cable (without
    >cable box), for instance, while watching another channel on the TV (from
    >the cable box). However, I do believe that I removed the RF connection
    >(in fact, all connections), then readded the S-Video connection, and it
    >still did not work.

    Explain what you did to set it up, and what happened (or didn't
    happen). Maybe someone can then see what whent erong.

    When you run setup, you'll be asked what you have connected to input
    2. What did you answer?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I have lost my guide when changing input selections too. (4508) Usually it just
    fixes itself if I reboot and reload the guide. There does seem to be some buggy
    software in this guide loading software. Usually if it is working and I don't
    mess with it, it keeps working.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:09:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:21:55 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:05:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:35:49 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    >>>>> internet through a network (through my router and then through my
    >>>>> cable
    >>>>> modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    >>>>> appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some
    >>>>> other
    >>>>> stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never
    >>>>> give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection
    >>>>> has my provider name.
    >>>>
    >>>> If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    >>>> different providers.
    >>>
    >>> You can, it just won't work with the SAME provider on 2 inputs.
    >>> There's still a limitation, it works only if both have the same ZIP.
    >>>
    >>
    >> That's a bummer. This would allow me to record on the cable (without
    >> cable box), for instance, while watching another channel on the TV (from
    >> the cable box). However, I do believe that I removed the RF connection
    >> (in fact, all connections), then readded the S-Video connection, and it
    >> still did not work.
    >
    > Explain what you did to set it up, and what happened (or didn't
    > happen). Maybe someone can then see what whent erong.
    >
    > When you run setup, you'll be asked what you have connected to input
    > 2. What did you answer?
    >

    What I did was first tried to get it select input 2, including the
    S-video. I did this without removing the RF connection. When I get to
    the setup part where it asks you to select from a list of providers, none
    were listed. When I quit, there was "other" rather than "cable box with
    provider" on setup. I thought that perhaps the S-video connection was bad
    from my cable box, so I tried it into the TV and it worked. Then, I
    removed the RF connection and tried to add input 2 again. Again, no list
    of providers. So, I deleted the second input and readded the RF
    connection, whereupon Replay already had my previous provider and zip code
    listed. I've left it like this.

    Honestly, it's no big deal. I plan on getting rid of the digital cable
    box as soon as the Tour de France is over, so I'll be using the RF
    connection then anyway. If anything, I'll buy a HD box and put it into
    the second input, so I'll have different providers. I love satellite, but
    the trees are too tall around my house to get satellite.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:50:56 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:09:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:21:55 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:05:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:35:49 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    >>>>>> internet through a network (through my router and then through my
    >>>>>> cable
    >>>>>> modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    >>>>>> appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some
    >>>>>> other
    >>>>>> stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would never
    >>>>>> give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire connection
    >>>>>> has my provider name.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    >>>>> different providers.
    >>>>
    >>>> You can, it just won't work with the SAME provider on 2 inputs.
    >>>> There's still a limitation, it works only if both have the same ZIP.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> That's a bummer. This would allow me to record on the cable (without
    >>> cable box), for instance, while watching another channel on the TV (from
    >>> the cable box). However, I do believe that I removed the RF connection
    >>> (in fact, all connections), then readded the S-Video connection, and it
    >>> still did not work.
    >>
    >> Explain what you did to set it up, and what happened (or didn't
    >> happen). Maybe someone can then see what whent erong.
    >>
    >> When you run setup, you'll be asked what you have connected to input
    >> 2. What did you answer?
    >>
    >
    >What I did was first tried to get it select input 2, including the
    >S-video. I did this without removing the RF connection. When I get to
    >the setup part where it asks you to select from a list of providers, none
    >were listed. When I quit, there was "other" rather than "cable box with
    >provider" on setup. I thought that perhaps the S-video connection was bad
    > from my cable box, so I tried it into the TV and it worked. Then, I
    >removed the RF connection and tried to add input 2 again. Again, no list
    >of providers. So, I deleted the second input and readded the RF
    >connection, whereupon Replay already had my previous provider and zip code
    >listed. I've left it like this.
    >
    >Honestly, it's no big deal. I plan on getting rid of the digital cable
    >box as soon as the Tour de France is over, so I'll be using the RF
    >connection then anyway. If anything, I'll buy a HD box and put it into
    >the second input, so I'll have different providers. I love satellite, but
    >the trees are too tall around my house to get satellite.

    I wasn't aware that the error you described could exist. The setup
    data you have could be corrupted. To try getting it again, change the
    ZIP you specified. It might work to change to back before entering.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:06:49 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:50:56 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:09:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:21:55 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:05:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    >>>> <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:35:49 -0400, Tony D <sd@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Thanks! I'm not using the telephone modem -- I'm connected to the
    >>>>>>> internet through a network (through my router and then through my
    >>>>>>> cable
    >>>>>>> modem). The network connection information is correct and the box
    >>>>>>> appears to connect to Replay -- it updates the time and does some
    >>>>>>> other
    >>>>>>> stuff. It just doesn't get the guide.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> When I went to update the S-Video connection, input 2, it would
    >>>>>>> never
    >>>>>>> give me a list of providers. However, the RG-6/cable wire
    >>>>>>> connection
    >>>>>>> has my provider name.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> If you said "cable" to RF and "cable box" to input2, you can't have
    >>>>>> different providers.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You can, it just won't work with the SAME provider on 2 inputs.
    >>>>> There's still a limitation, it works only if both have the same ZIP.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> That's a bummer. This would allow me to record on the cable (without
    >>>> cable box), for instance, while watching another channel on the TV
    >>>> (from
    >>>> the cable box). However, I do believe that I removed the RF
    >>>> connection
    >>>> (in fact, all connections), then readded the S-Video connection, and
    >>>> it
    >>>> still did not work.
    >>>
    >>> Explain what you did to set it up, and what happened (or didn't
    >>> happen). Maybe someone can then see what whent erong.
    >>>
    >>> When you run setup, you'll be asked what you have connected to input
    >>> 2. What did you answer?
    >>>
    >>
    >> What I did was first tried to get it select input 2, including the
    >> S-video. I did this without removing the RF connection. When I get to
    >> the setup part where it asks you to select from a list of providers,
    >> none
    >> were listed. When I quit, there was "other" rather than "cable box with
    >> provider" on setup. I thought that perhaps the S-video connection was
    >> bad
    >> from my cable box, so I tried it into the TV and it worked. Then, I
    >> removed the RF connection and tried to add input 2 again. Again, no
    >> list
    >> of providers. So, I deleted the second input and readded the RF
    >> connection, whereupon Replay already had my previous provider and zip
    >> code
    >> listed. I've left it like this.
    >>
    >> Honestly, it's no big deal. I plan on getting rid of the digital cable
    >> box as soon as the Tour de France is over, so I'll be using the RF
    >> connection then anyway. If anything, I'll buy a HD box and put it into
    >> the second input, so I'll have different providers. I love satellite,
    >> but
    >> the trees are too tall around my house to get satellite.
    >
    > I wasn't aware that the error you described could exist. The setup
    > data you have could be corrupted. To try getting it again, change the
    > ZIP you specified. It might work to change to back before entering.
    >

    Ok, I'll give this a try tonight.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    It appears that a soft reset (with power button) and a manual connect to
    Replay has worked.

    --
    Bob M
    remove ".x" to reply
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I juggle zip codes around to get a better selection of servers too. Because I
    am using 3 inputs (2 on blaster) I wanted a better selection of providers than
    I can get in my zip. The next one over has a better selection with the same
    channels.
    The one with the most channels will always end up taking the 2-99 slot. The
    next group will be 102-199.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 20 May 2004 14:55:34 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >I juggle zip codes around to get a better selection of servers too. Because I
    >am using 3 inputs (2 on blaster) I wanted a better selection of providers than
    >I can get in my zip. The next one over has a better selection with the same
    >channels.
    >The one with the most channels will always end up taking the 2-99 slot. The
    >next group will be 102-199.

    I wish they'd give you a choice about the channel mapping.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Replaytv Connection Video ReplayTV