Step modes: field or frame on CAV discs ? CLD-R7G vs LD-S9

I read in the Pioneer LD-S9 manual about still and stepping that:
- CAV discs: this is done frame by frame
- CLV discs: this is done field by field
Two fields make one frame.

The CLD-R7G has a function that enables to still and step CAV discs
field by field, and my test revealed a large improvement when doing
so, compared to frame by frame. These two screen shots of an R7G
playback come from the Pioneer DD Experience CAV disc, Las vegas
sequence (driving by night):

Still frame:
http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/pics/CLD-R7G_frame.jpg

Still field:
http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/pics/CLD-R7G_field.jpg

Is the R7G the only player to offer that functionality ? I suspect
that if the top-of-the-line S9 can't do it, then it must be rare, or
available only on very recent models (the R7G was designed after the
S9).

Nicolas
4 answers Last reply
More about step modes field frame cav discs cld r7g

    "Nicolas Santini" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > The CLD-R7G has a function that enables to still and step CAV discs
    > field by field, and my test revealed a large improvement when doing
    > so, compared to frame by frame. These two screen shots of an R7G
    > playback come from the Pioneer DD Experience CAV disc, Las vegas
    > sequence (driving by night):

    Do you mean to say that it creates a true "frame" off a paused CLV disc,
    rather than just a half-resolution still-field, like most CLV discs?

    If so, the only other player that I'm aware of that does that is the
    industrial LD-V8000. I didn't realize that the R7G would as well.

    "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<tDdoc.2557$zO3.2456@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > "Nicolas Santini" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > > The CLD-R7G has a function that enables to still and step CAV discs
    > > field by field, and my test revealed a large improvement when doing
    > > so, compared to frame by frame. These two screen shots of an R7G
    > > playback come from the Pioneer DD Experience CAV disc, Las vegas
    > > sequence (driving by night):
    >
    > Do you mean to say that it creates a true "frame" off a paused CLV disc,
    > rather than just a half-resolution still-field, like most CLV discs?
    >
    > If so, the only other player that I'm aware of that does that is the
    > industrial LD-V8000. I didn't realize that the R7G would as well.

    No, in fact something like the opposite. It displays just one field
    off a paused CAV disc, rather than a full frame.

    On a fast moving scene, the two fields that make a frame can be
    significantly different, and the still-frame made out of these is
    somewhat blurred. Stepping field by field results in no blur at all.
    You can see the difference on the two pictures i posted above.

    When you step through a CAV disc and display on-screen info, usually
    the player will show the frame being displayed; each step brings the
    next frame. The R7G will not only show the frame number, but also if
    it is field 1 or 2; it takes two steps to reach the next frame.

    > No, in fact something like the opposite. It displays just one field
    > off a paused CAV disc, rather than a full frame.
    >
    > On a fast moving scene, the two fields that make a frame can be
    > significantly different, and the still-frame made out of these is
    > somewhat blurred. Stepping field by field results in no blur at all.
    > You can see the difference on the two pictures i posted above.

    I'm pretty sure the X9 does this as well.

    "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<jNSoc.4801$zO3.2764@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > "Nicolas Santini" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > > No, in fact something like the opposite. It displays just one field
    > > off a paused CAV disc, rather than a full frame.
    > >
    > > On a fast moving scene, the two fields that make a frame can be
    > > significantly different, and the still-frame made out of these is
    > > somewhat blurred. Stepping field by field results in no blur at all.
    > > You can see the difference on the two pictures i posted above.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the X9 does this as well.

    Indeed ! Burried in the X9 manual p21, i found this (rough
    translation):

    <<CAV disc: pressing the remote's "pause" button 2 seconds toggles
    between Frame Still and Field Still modes.>>

    I will e-mail all my previous X9 buyers to inform them about that. Any
    other deck with that functionality ?

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Video