i'm confused

According to lyngsat, NETV has gone to Digicipher 2 on Intelsat Americas 5?
If so, why isn't this satellite in the satellite list? It was on Telstar 5
but it appears that they are moving somewhere. The strange thing is that
Telstar 5 isn't shown in the lyngsat list. Whatever, NETV isn't on T5-600
or T5-601 anymore.
25 answers Last reply
More about confused
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I don't care what Lyngsat says,I AM WATCHING NETV on T5.......channel
    600 is NETV,601 is NETV 2 or also known as Educable,and 602 is NETITV or
    PBS You and 603 is NETV HD or the high definition channel of the
    format.There is also a suite of cable classroom channels from 610-617.I
    am watching it right now......all I can say is you most likely are not
    on the right satellite.I get a VERY STRONG DC2 signal lock.NETV has not
    gone anywhere,it has always been on Telstar 5 AND STILL IS...........
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I believe T5 has been renamed to IA5 but is still in the same location.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    In article <IbZlc.7566$Hs1.402@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, johnny@n0sq.net wrote:
    >According to lyngsat, NETV has gone to Digicipher 2 on Intelsat Americas 5?
    >If so, why isn't this satellite in the satellite list? It was on Telstar 5
    >but it appears that they are moving somewhere. The strange thing is that
    >Telstar 5 isn't shown in the lyngsat list. Whatever, NETV isn't on T5-600
    >or T5-601 anymore.

    IA5 is the same as T5. When the sat's were sold they changed designations.

    _
    (_) Daniel Warren, RPh
    _______// Marion NY
    (________) Clinical Pharmacist
    \ / dwarren2@rochester.rr.com
    | Rx |
    /______\
    (________)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Speaking of NETV 610-617 for awhile there I couldn't understand why when I
    first got 4dtv they were there,then some months ago they weren't.

    I went to all the trouble of trying to "reset" etc,only find out later they
    WERE back....ie: they switched the feeds off!

    --
    http://mrelectronicsca.tripod.com/computers
    http://www.ezinfocenter.com/8582998
    "SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > I don't care what Lyngsat says,I AM WATCHING NETV on T5.......channel
    > 600 is NETV,601 is NETV 2 or also known as Educable,and 602 is NETITV or
    > PBS You and 603 is NETV HD or the high definition channel of the
    > format.There is also a suite of cable classroom channels from 610-617.I
    > am watching it right now......all I can say is you most likely are not
    > on the right satellite.I get a VERY STRONG DC2 signal lock.NETV has not
    > gone anywhere,it has always been on Telstar 5 AND STILL IS...........

    ---
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    SAC 441 wrote:

    > I don't care what Lyngsat says,I AM WATCHING NETV on T5.......channel
    > 600 is NETV,601 is NETV 2 or also known as Educable,and 602 is NETITV or
    > PBS You and 603 is NETV HD or the high definition channel of the
    > format.There is also a suite of cable classroom channels from 610-617.I
    > am watching it right now......all I can say is you most likely are not
    > on the right satellite.I get a VERY STRONG DC2 signal lock.NETV has not
    > gone anywhere,it has always been on Telstar 5 AND STILL IS...........

    I'm on the right satellite since I see slates on T5-603/604/605...... but
    nothing on 600 or 601 or 602.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Do have a green led and digital lock?

    IF so,sounds like your channel maps are corrupt.

    --
    <johnny@n0sq.net> wrote in message
    > SAC 441 wrote:
    >
    > > I don't care what Lyngsat says,I AM WATCHING NETV on T5.......channel
    > > 600 is NETV,601 is NETV 2 or also known as Educable,and 602 is NETITV or
    > > PBS You and 603 is NETV HD or the high definition channel of the
    > > format.There is also a suite of cable classroom channels from 610-617.I
    > > am watching it right now......all I can say is you most likely are not
    > > on the right satellite.I get a VERY STRONG DC2 signal lock.NETV has not
    > > gone anywhere,it has always been on Telstar 5 AND STILL IS...........
    >

    > I'm on the right satellite since I see slates on T5-603/604/605...... but
    > nothing on 600 or 601 or 602.

    ---
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Valdivar wrote:

    > Do have a green led and digital lock?

    No green DC light on 600/601/602/603/616/617 but I do have a DC light on
    610/611/612/613/614/615.

    Maybe a master reset will fix it? I've already tried unplugging it 3 times
    (5 minute off time before reapplying power).

    Mine's a 922.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I lost all my digitals, the battery went bad and I unplugged it and the unit
    ID changed. Beware replace your battery if its more than 5 years old.

    > Valdivar wrote:
    >
    > > Do have a green led and digital lock?
    > >

    > No green DC light on 600/601/602/603/616/617 but I do have a DC light on
    > 610/611/612/613/614/615.
    >
    > Maybe a master reset will fix it? I've already tried unplugging it 3 times
    > (5 minute off time before reapplying power).
    >
    > Mine's a 922.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I have the same battery that came with the introduction of the VC2 (?)
    board. I think that was more than a decade ago.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I didn't all digitals, only certain ones. Besides, my 922 is only 2 years
    old.

    JustMe wrote:

    > I lost all my digitals, the battery went bad and I unplugged it and the
    > unit ID changed. Beware replace your battery if its more than 5 years old.
    >

    > <johnny@n0sq.net> wrote in message
    >> Valdivar wrote:
    >>
    >> > Do have a green led and digital lock?
    >> >

    >> No green DC light on 600/601/602/603/616/617 but I do have a DC light on
    >> 610/611/612/613/614/615.
    >>
    >> Maybe a master reset will fix it? I've already tried unplugging it 3
    >> times (5 minute off time before reapplying power).
    >>
    >> Mine's a 922.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I'm talking about the battery in the 4DTV. I just read in the sat forums
    that one person had a battery go bad in 2 years and when he had a board
    replacement it came with a 1998 battery which also went bad on him. Seems
    the batteries were inferior to the ones in the VCII. I also have several
    VCII modules with original batteries and some have been unplugged for years
    and there still good. If you have a 920 replace the batter or pay $189 for a
    replacement board.

    "Fred Schwaner" <f.schwaner@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I have the same battery that came with the introduction of the VC2 (?)
    > board. I think that was more than a decade ago.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 02:50:08 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm talking about the battery in the 4DTV. I just read in the sat forums
    >that one person had a battery go bad in 2 years and when he had a board
    >replacement it came with a 1998 battery which also went bad on him. Seems
    >the batteries were inferior to the ones in the VCII. I also have several
    >VCII modules with original batteries and some have been unplugged for years
    >and there still good. If you have a 920 replace the batter or pay $189 for a
    >replacement board.

    I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.

    I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I never knew that the 920 also had a battery. I have had it since July 97
    and always thought it was the VC2 board. Thanks.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 11:58:02 GMT, "Fred Schwaner"
    <f.schwaner@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >I never knew that the 920 also had a battery. I have had it since July 97
    >and always thought it was the VC2 board. Thanks.

    There is one for keeping settings and security for the DCII.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I think its like the VCII and keeps the unit ID, if the battery goes you get
    a different unit id, the analog works but the Digital does not., So it
    becomes a $20 used C/KU receiver and a BAD one at that. The only fix is a
    new board, that has a new battery and a new unit ID and cost $189. Motorola
    wont touch them. I think there should be a class action suite against them.
    They knew they would go bad and never put it in the manual and its not
    consumer replaceable. If you can solder, though you can replace it.

    "kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 02:50:08 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm talking about the battery in the 4DTV. I just read in the sat forums
    > >that one person had a battery go bad in 2 years and when he had a board
    > >replacement it came with a 1998 battery which also went bad on him. Seems
    > >the batteries were inferior to the ones in the VCII. I also have several
    > >VCII modules with original batteries and some have been unplugged for
    years
    > >and there still good. If you have a 920 replace the batter or pay $189
    for a
    > >replacement board.
    >
    > I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.
    >
    > I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    > 4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:58:05 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I think its like the VCII and keeps the unit ID, if the battery goes you get
    >a different unit id, the analog works but the Digital does not., So it
    >becomes a $20 used C/KU receiver and a BAD one at that. The only fix is a
    >new board, that has a new battery and a new unit ID and cost $189. Motorola
    >wont touch them. I think there should be a class action suite against them.
    >They knew they would go bad and never put it in the manual and its not
    >consumer replaceable. If you can solder, though you can replace it.

    You know these guys?
    http://www.coolstf.com/4play/

    Thinking about spending the $120 for interface.

    >"kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 8 May 2004 02:50:08 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm talking about the battery in the 4DTV. I just read in the sat forums
    >> >that one person had a battery go bad in 2 years and when he had a board
    >> >replacement it came with a 1998 battery which also went bad on him. Seems
    >> >the batteries were inferior to the ones in the VCII. I also have several
    >> >VCII modules with original batteries and some have been unplugged for
    >years
    >> >and there still good. If you have a 920 replace the batter or pay $189
    >for a
    >> >replacement board.
    >>
    >> I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.
    >>
    >> I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    >> 4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I have heard of them and read what they have. In short the 4dtv gets channel
    maps from Motorola. They do NOT map all the channels, including some FTA
    channels. A while back you could find some porno channels in the clear. The
    problem is that you couldn't tune the channels on the 4DTV, so you have to
    trick it, by choosing another sat that is unused and changing its position
    to the sat that has the channels you want to watch. Then manually tune the
    polarity and you get them. 4Play allows you to define any channel.like you
    would get on a standard c/ku receiver. It is supposed to work with the
    digitals also, However I don't think if the battery has changed the unit ID,
    the receiver cant be authorized for the digitals, and guide because it cant
    take a hit. If one could use this unit to change the user ID, I would
    defiantly buy one.

    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:58:05 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I think its like the VCII and keeps the unit ID, if the battery goes you
    get
    > >a different unit id, the analog works but the Digital does not., So it
    > >becomes a $20 used C/KU receiver and a BAD one at that. The only fix is a
    > >new board, that has a new battery and a new unit ID and cost $189.
    Motorola
    > >wont touch them. I think there should be a class action suite against
    them.
    > >They knew they would go bad and never put it in the manual and its not
    > >consumer replaceable. If you can solder, though you can replace it.
    > >

    > You know these guys?
    > http://www.coolstf.com/4play/
    >
    > Thinking about spending the $120 for interface.
    >

    > >"kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message

    Seems
    > >years
    > >for a
    > >>
    > >> I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.
    > >>
    > >> I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    > >> 4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    As I understand it, it is the IPG people at Gemstar/TV Guide Data
    Corporation at an uplink facility in Pennsylvania that "maps" the
    channels.The only thing Motorola does is make deals with the programmers
    to use their DC2 technology.As far as manual tuning goes,pressing
    OPTIONS 6,7,7,8 and then keying in line selection number '1' will let
    you do this.I have done it many times before,mostly with Ku-Band
    channels.As for tuning digitals manually,using the 'generic' channel
    assignments usually reveals most "unmapped" channels that are not part
    of the IPG.I fail to see why you would even need a PC utility to do
    something like this.If you note their warning(s) on the so-called 4-PLAY
    tuner card,doing so can AND may mess up your receiver so it does not
    function.Unless you are a signal engineer and really familiar with the
    technology or you just have a 4DTV 'hobby' receiver you just don't care
    about,I would NOT be doing this with a 4DTV receiver that you consider a
    prime piece of equipment.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:58:46 -0400, kryppy <kryppy@.> wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:58:05 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I think its like the VCII and keeps the unit ID, if the battery goes you get
    >>a different unit id, the analog works but the Digital does not., So it
    >>becomes a $20 used C/KU receiver and a BAD one at that. The only fix is a
    >>new board, that has a new battery and a new unit ID and cost $189. Motorola
    >>wont touch them. I think there should be a class action suite against them.
    >>They knew they would go bad and never put it in the manual and its not
    >>consumer replaceable. If you can solder, though you can replace it.
    >>

    >You know these guys?
    >http://www.coolstf.com/4play/
    >
    >Thinking about spending the $120 for interface.

    Won't backup the security chip, just the SRAM.

    >>"kryppy" <kryppy@.> wrote in message

    >>years
    >>for a
    >>>
    >>> I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    >>> 4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > >I'm talking about the battery in the 4DTV. I just read in the sat forums
    > >that one person had a battery go bad in 2 years and when he had a board
    > >replacement it came with a 1998 battery which also went bad on him. Seems
    > >the batteries were inferior to the ones in the VCII. I also have several
    > >VCII modules with original batteries and some have been unplugged for
    years
    > >and there still good. If you have a 920 replace the batter or pay $189
    for a
    > >replacement board.
    >
    > I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.
    >
    > I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    > 4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.

    I'm waiting for someone to mention which battery would work best as a
    replacement. Maybe from Radio shack?

    As an alternative, what the voltage requirements are so I can look it up.

    This could save me some time, and since some of someone here has already
    been through this.
    Thanks in advance
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:08:23 -0700, SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

    >As I understand it, it is the IPG people at Gemstar/TV Guide Data
    >Corporation at an uplink facility in Pennsylvania that "maps" the
    >channels.The only thing Motorola does is make deals with the programmers
    >to use their DC2 technology.As far as manual tuning goes,pressing
    >OPTIONS 6,7,7,8 and then keying in line selection number '1' will let
    >you do this.I have done it many times before,mostly with Ku-Band

    AFAIK, that lets you just maually tune a carrier, not tune a
    particular channel on a carrier.

    >channels.As for tuning digitals manually,using the 'generic' channel
    >assignments usually reveals most "unmapped" channels that are not part
    >of the IPG.I fail to see why you would even need a PC utility to do
    >something like this.If you note their warning(s) on the so-called 4-PLAY
    >tuner card,doing so can AND may mess up your receiver so it does not

    The 4PLAY is not a tuner card, it is software that fiddles with the
    channel map in a 4DTV, by transferring between the 4dTV and a PC with
    a BDM cable, that interfaces to the 4DTV mainboard.

    >function.Unless you are a signal engineer and really familiar with the
    >technology or you just have a 4DTV 'hobby' receiver you just don't care
    >about,I would NOT be doing this with a 4DTV receiver that you consider a
    >prime piece of equipment.

    Not correct. Gemstar, or TMS or else, supply the guide data to
    Motorola, and they format it and uplink in on G10r, as well as create
    maps per their customer's specs (customers being
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:35:27 -0400, Gary Tait
    <classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:58:46 -0400, kryppy <kryppy@.> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:58:05 -0500, "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think its like the VCII and keeps the unit ID, if the battery goes you get
    >>>a different unit id, the analog works but the Digital does not., So it
    >>>becomes a $20 used C/KU receiver and a BAD one at that. The only fix is a
    >>>new board, that has a new battery and a new unit ID and cost $189. Motorola
    >>>wont touch them. I think there should be a class action suite against them.
    >>>They knew they would go bad and never put it in the manual and its not
    >>>consumer replaceable. If you can solder, though you can replace it.
    >>>

    >>You know these guys?
    >>http://www.coolstf.com/4play/
    >>
    >>Thinking about spending the $120 for interface.
    >>

    >Won't backup the security chip, just the SRAM.

    I was under the impression you could dump the entire flash.
    I was hoping to learn how to authorize my dsr4200 with it's first hit
    to use for FTA.
    I guess I am barking up the wrong tree.

    Anyone know a provider that will give me a hit on a DSR4200, they can
    remove it from the list 5 seconds after I am authorized...:)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    SAC 441 wrote:

    > I don't care what Lyngsat says,I AM WATCHING NETV on T5.......channel
    > 600 is NETV,601 is NETV 2 or also known as Educable,and 602 is NETITV or
    > PBS You and 603 is NETV HD or the high definition channel of the
    > format.There is also a suite of cable classroom channels from 610-617.I
    > am watching it right now......all I can say is you most likely are not
    > on the right satellite.I get a VERY STRONG DC2 signal lock.NETV has not
    > gone anywhere,it has always been on Telstar 5 AND STILL IS...........

    I did a master reset and I still can't get T5-600/601/602/603. I'm
    definitely on the right satellite.

    As for the discussion about batteries, if there is a battery in the VC II
    module, mine has lasted a long time (over 10 years). I don't think my DC II
    troubles are battery related since I get other DC II channels on T5 as well
    as other satellites.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    its a lithium ion battery. 3.7v you could parallel 2 AA batteries with it or
    just buy a 3.7v lithium battery.

    "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message

    > > >I'm talking about the battery in the 4DTV. I just read in the sat
    forums
    > > >that one person had a battery go bad in 2 years and when he had a board
    > > >replacement it came with a 1998 battery which also went bad on him.
    Seems
    > > >the batteries were inferior to the ones in the VCII. I also have
    several
    > > >VCII modules with original batteries and some have been unplugged for
    > years
    > > >and there still good. If you have a 920 replace the batter or pay $189
    > for a
    > > >replacement board.
    > >
    > > I think I'm going to do my 920 and oldest 905, thanks for the headsup.
    > >
    > > I wonder if you could make a backup with the BDM connection like the
    > > 4play project uses to restore after some bad battery changing episode.
    >
    > I'm waiting for someone to mention which battery would work best as a
    > replacement. Maybe from Radio shack?
    >
    > As an alternative, what the voltage requirements are so I can look it up.
    >
    > This could save me some time, and since some of someone here has already
    > been through this.
    > Thanks in advance

  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 15:49:41 -0400, kryppy <kryppy@.> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:35:27 -0400, Gary Tait
    ><classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:58:46 -0400, kryppy <kryppy@.> wrote:

    >>>You know these guys?
    >>>http://www.coolstf.com/4play/
    >>>
    >>>Thinking about spending the $120 for interface.
    >>>

    >>Won't backup the security chip, just the SRAM.
    >

    >I was under the impression you could dump the entire flash.
    >I was hoping to learn how to authorize my dsr4200 with it's first hit
    >to use for FTA.
    >I guess I am barking up the wrong tree.

    You can dump any memory the CPU can access. Unfotunately that does not
    include that in the security chip.

    >Anyone know a provider that will give me a hit on a DSR4200, they can
    >remove it from the list 5 seconds after I am authorized...:)

4DTV Satellite Video