Suggestions for 5040 hard drive upgrade

I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard drive is in the
40 hour model?

I was thinking something like this:

Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit 5
per customer)
for $74.50.

- Specifications -

Capacity: 80GB
Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
Buffer: 2MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Remark: OEM Drive only

Model#: 6Y080L0
Item#: N82E16822144132

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

    Bob in CT wrote:
    > I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
    > suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
    > drive is in the 40 hour model?

    40 gig

    > I was thinking something like this:
    >

    > Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit
    > 5 per customer)
    > for $74.50.

    kind of a waste of time. I generally use the Maxtor 250gig. The 160gig
    frequently is found for killer prices and is probably the best value point.

    Bob in CT wrote:
    > I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
    > suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
    > drive is in the 40 hour model?
    >
    > I was thinking something like this:
    >

    > Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only (limit
    > 5 per customer)
    > for $74.50.
    >
    > - Specifications -
    >
    > Capacity: 80GB
    > Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
    > Buffer: 2MB
    > Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
    > Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
    > Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
    > Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
    > Remark: OEM Drive only
    >
    > Model#: 6Y080L0
    > Item#: N82E16822144132

    It would be nice to make a group buy of 250GB drives. Is there a web
    site that organizes 'flash mob consumers'?

    By the way, this is from www.newegg.com.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:58:17 -0400, Tony D <me@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Bob in CT wrote:
    >> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
    >> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
    >> drive is in the 40 hour model?
    >
    > 40 gig
    >>
    >> I was thinking something like this:
    >>
    >> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only
    >> (limit 5 per customer) for $74.50.
    >>

    > kind of a waste of time. I generally use the Maxtor 250gig. The 160gig
    > frequently is found for killer prices and is probably the best value
    > point.

    You're right -- 80 gig is useless. Thanks! I'll search for the 160 gig
    Maxtor.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:13:55 -0400, Cult of Nurse's <health@health.com>
    wrote:

    > Bob in CT wrote:
    >> I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
    >> suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
    >> drive is in the 40 hour model?
    >>
    >> I was thinking something like this:
    >>
    >> Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y080L0, OEM Drive only
    >> (limit 5 per customer) for $74.50.
    >>
    >> - Specifications -
    >>
    >> Capacity: 80GB
    >> Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
    >> Buffer: 2MB
    >> Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
    >> Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
    >> Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
    >> Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
    >> Remark: OEM Drive only Model#: 6Y080L0
    >> Item#: N82E16822144132
    >>

    > It would be nice to make a group buy of 250GB drives. Is there a web
    > site that organizes 'flash mob consumers'?

    I found a 250gb hard drive for $160:

    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3700356

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    wrote:

    >I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
    >for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard drive is in the
    >40 hour model?

    In Replays, the disk size (in GB) is the same as the claimed number of
    hours. That seems to be true for all the different models I've had.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:42:24 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
    >>suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
    >>drive is in the 40 hour model?
    >>

    > In Replays, the disk size (in GB) is the same as the claimed number of
    > hours. That seems to be true for all the different models I've had.

    In Standard mode only, remember. About half that in Medium and about 35%
    in High quality.

    I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my 32"
    Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.

    Jeff

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:50:47 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:42:24 GMT, Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just bought a 5040 and would like to know if anyone has any
    >>>suggestions for a hard drive to upgrade it with. Also, what size hard
    >>>drive is in the 40 hour model?
    >>>

    >> In Replays, the disk size (in GB) is the same as the claimed number of
    >> hours. That seems to be true for all the different models I've had.
    >
    > In Standard mode only, remember. About half that in Medium and about 35%
    >in High quality.

    Right. It's Standard that Replay uses when they tell you the
    capactiies.

    > I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my 32"
    >Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.

    How good is the source you're recording?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:50:47 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    ><j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >> I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my
    >> 32"
    >>Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.

    > How good is the source you're recording?

    I usually record only the analog signals on my cable TV (channels 2-99),
    but I am using the Digital Cable Box as an external tuner, which provides a
    better picture than the 5040's internal tuner.

    However, I haven't noticed a difference on the digital signals I have
    recorded.

    Jeff
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:28:16 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:50:47 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    >><j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >>> I can't tell the difference between Medium and High quality on my
    >>> 32"
    >>>Proscan, but can if I DVArchive and play it on my computer.
    >
    >> How good is the source you're recording?
    >
    > I usually record only the analog signals on my cable TV (channels 2-99),

    There seem to be standards for up to 159 (and most TVs tune up to
    125), although I haven't seen any one above 99 used.

    >but I am using the Digital Cable Box as an external tuner, which provides a
    >better picture than the 5040's internal tuner.

    I might, if I had a digital box. I prefer satellite for those
    channels, and just have limited basic cable ($11/month) for locals.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com